Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

Vetiver Bourbon by Monotheme

Unfortunately it seems to be a scaled-down edition of Guerlain's "Vetiver". What for if there's a complete one? But it's not that bad, just as all the Monothemes scents.

Patchouli by Monotheme

Bought just for the reasons of economy and made me fall in love with it. But for some hesperide notes (tangerine & neroli) slightly reminds of rare and discontinued Veejaga "Hascish". In severe conditinos of a CITY like Moscow it's a real compromise between your and the other's privacy. It doesn't provoke nobody in the crowd for the irritation. It is and it isn't simultaneously all day long. Very olfactively correct.

Grace Amber by Monotheme

It's quite feminine, than multigender scent, IMHO. And it strongly reminds the old days "Must de Cartier du Soir". Just ambergris. And it doesn't sounds chip at all. Simple and dignitive.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

I used to wear this frequently but these days cannot wear it much at all. A powdery quality seems to linger in my nose when I wear it- but this could be because it now reminds me of a former lover. Ah, the power of smell and memory!

No. 5 by Chanel

I wish I could love this classic perfume but I do not- to me it smells downright odd- powdery and overpowering.

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I adore this perfume- it is intense but still feminine and really delicate. I love being surrounded by the scent of roses and white flowers- I feel like a princess when I wear it.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My all-time favourite perfume. It is everything to me- elegant, subtly sexy, enchanting, pretty but 'grown-up' at the same time. My favourite perfume to wear to special occasions but I love it so much I wear it everywhere! Never without a bottle.

leftoverbrad's avatar

Heir by Paris Hilton

I really like this scent. It is a blend of Crisp Bergamot, Fir Balsam, Mandarin Leaves, Elemi, Patchouli, Brushed Suede, Lavender, Iron Musk, Sandalwood, and Amber. It last a very long time and it is very fresh and not overwhelming.

Gil's avatar

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Alright..Probably not for everyone, and that's ok. I've been wearing this fragrance since the late 70s and while it's not my "favorite", it still has a classic appeal. The initial application is a bit harsh, but the powdery drydown can have a nice lingering scent.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Lilly-of-the-Valley and new tires. Odd combination. At first I liked it's smokiness but then the rubber settled in. Definitely masculine, not unisex as I first thought with my sample.

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

This reminds me of CK 'Euphoria'. Just another take on cranberries. There is a lingering basenote that catches in my throat. Over-all, too sweet, too expensive not at all distinctive and disappointing.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

Gloriously complex. A rose for the non-traditional rose fan. I don't care for sweet tea rose. This is the spiced rose made dense and intense with incense & myrhh. The vetiver gives a snappy lemon-like freshness that lingers. I feel I'm getting my money's worth with this one. One spray and I'm in a cloud of this fascinating scent for hours. Very uplifting.

nefrino's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Well, first time I smelled this I did not want to buy it.

Then, since I have visited Creed counters frequently, I have been noticing many women in their 30+ buying this fragrance for themselves, time after time.

I don't know why women would choose to wear this, must be the some aphrodisiac in this one.
    I have also noticed the counter women from other departments comming just to get a spritz of this on their skin...one of them even rolled her eyes in passion as she described to me how she loves OV.

It smells like a Ivory soap and very soft, smooth and rich shaving cream. It is never overpowering and it just vanishes at the point where comparable synthetic cologne would start being persistently annoying and too strong.

When I smell it now, all I can think of are words like "solea", "savon" and "toledo".

It can be worn to the office and everywhere else. My all time favourites are: Virgin Island Water (light brown colour drydown), Bois du Portugal (best pound for pound cologne), Cuir de Russie (out of this world concept cologne) and Selection Verte (fresh and very light burst fitted for every occasion)....and now OV as well !

The best song that goes with OV cologne according to my mood just recently is the background preppy melody of the song by "T-pain--Buy U A Drank ft. Yung Joc" (check it out at Youtube).

This song just reminds me of the wonderfull invisible fumes of this rich fragrance that are radiating outwards from your neck after spritzing yourself with OV.

The thing is that I like to shower in it as you can never overdo it with this one, you always want more.

Buy it...its an all time classic!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Trésor Eau De Printemps by Lancôme

CASTORPOLLUX gives an accurate assesment of this one...although I'm a fan of the Tresor original, I like this sheer version too. Printemps begins with a berry-sweet opening that literally makes my mouth water. The fruitiness lasts throughout the entire evolution of this scent, which I find remarkable. Lily of the valley ads just a touch of powdery green to this blend, and the base is warm yet fresh. Nicely constructed & extremely wearable ~ I might just purchase this one for myself!

Loukoumi's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur-I love this on others, on me it was less than good. I am happy to read that so many people love this, it means I may smell it more often on the bus, in the grocery store, present in my life without wearing it myself.

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

I have had this scent in my stable since it first came out- pawned it off Mom. I don't wear it often, but- it's there. Maybe that's the definition of a signature scent.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

An extraordinary scent, exquistely feminine and superior to No.5. I found a tiny original on ebay (God Bless). Bravo to LLP securing the formula.

Calypso Ambre by Calypso Christiane Celle

Here's the great thing about Calypso. Mimosa stands alone, but Ambre, as Gardenia are as close, equal or better than many scents out there. Can't afford
    Creed's Angelique? Try this. Gardenia can match Fracas. Just my observation.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Still by Jennifer Lopez

Very surprised that I like this one, as I really dislike all her other fragrances. This is soft, feminine, and unobtrusive - a good choice when you don't want your perfume to make *too* much of a statement. Doesn't have the WOW factor, but it would be nice for the office, weddings, etc. I like to wear it when I'm doing yoga...it's kind of zen. ;-)

Fiorello's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

I really appreciate fragrances that "sparkle"--an effervescent like accord of citrus and a heart note--but this one didn't sparkle for me. I find Imperial, Chevrefeuille Original, Bois de Cedrat, Erolfa and Verveine Narcisse to be much more soulful.

Fiorello's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

I find the birch note to be absolutely stunning here. I agree that it is unusually paired with the citrus and prone to derision. I am unaware of it being used like this in any other (masculine) fragrance. To some this is the odd, rubber/gasoline accord. Although I can detect this for a short time, it is not a detriment. I find that to be an integral part of its bold character--and it's not created synthetically. CdR is unique among all of the Creeds and other brands. It is not soft, clean or well behaved. It is dynamic, sweeping and not for everyone. The ambergris base tends to fade more rapidly below 50 degrees F / 10 C and above 90 F / 32 C. It is not the most tenacious composition but that is not an issue for such a blast of the country life.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Byblos (original) by Byblos

I just have to echo with serene111 on this. My aunt bought this for me when I was in my late teens. I fell hard for it and it was my signiture scent back in those days. It is refreshing and perfect for summertime. I have lots of memories attached to this. It has a superb longevity and excellent sillage.

scardinaclan's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue by Boucheron

A definite departure from the original Boucheron Homme...thankfully. This wonderfully elegant and refined fragrance takes the 'furniture polish' lemony overtone of the original out of the picture and replaces it with a softer, almost powdery finish. Going on, it appears a bit sharp, but once it dries down, you can't help thinking -- 'Boy, this stuff smells great.' It's gorgeous bottle just completes the outfit. I was fortunate enough to find this at a local Macy's while it was still available.

astronauticalism's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

HA! I totally pull this off, and love it! And I'm a man. I love how intoxicating it is. It goes straight up to your brain, you can almost feel it in your throat and the taste of it is like good champagne- sweet and sour.

Roy's avatar

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Une Fleur de Cassie is most impressive in it's transparency. It evokes the smell of a person who has perfumed oneself. There is a dirty human core veiled in powder/musk notes from the cassie/mimosa, orris, and musk/sandalwood so it wears almost more like an idealized version of a person's natural scent than an overt perfume. I couldn't stop smelling the back of my hand (a tester does it no justice).

Jaguar Performance by Jaguar

One of my all time favs, I hope to never run out of this stuff. If you like Banana Republic MODERN or GAP blue no. 655 or Spark Seduction, you will love this. It is very bright, clean, soapy and sweet, but all in a very masculine way. When I wear this I have a smirk on my face that I can't get rid off. The best part is you can get this at TJ Maxx and those other discount places (every once in a while) for quite cheap. The sillage is great and the dry down stays sweet rather than old. It's not offensive either, although it might come off as cocky when other guys smell it on you. Great stuff, highly recommended.

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

I am with deepthought on this one: try it out before joining the trash talk brigade.
    This is not bad at all, it does kinda bite you in the beginning, and then it fades (rather quickly ~4hrs) to a decent but subtle scent.
    If this was not an Armani, I doubt there would be this much complaint. It is def weak for Armani. This would be better branded as the signature scent for XPRESS clothing company or a car company like SAAB.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

wow, this is crap. I am a bit surprised by everyone else's review does far, because GPH II is nothing but a copy of a older cologne that got a lot of bad rap for its metallic qualities. It starts out with an obvious connection to GPH I, thanks to the myhrr I guess, but anyway, it dries down to a very metallic scent tempered by a powdery lite weight. My high expectations were dashed, but it sounds like it works well for others. I def will not be buying this.

mikeperez23's avatar

Japon Noir by Tom Ford

Notes include: spice bouquet, purple patchouli, porto noir, jasmine, leather, amber and vetiver

Strange that most other reviews I've read, mention this as a quite spicy scent(!?) On me, this scent is all about smoke.

It goes on smoky, stays smoky and dries down to a woody/smoky finish. About 30 minutes into the scent, the smoke took on a 'candle wax burning' note: the smell that you inhale when you blow a candle out and the wet wax mixed with the smoke from the extinguished wick mix together. That summarizes the smell of Japan Noir.

Reminded me of Gucci Pour Homme's smoky moments (minus a lot of the wood) and Idole by Lubin. The name Japan Noir threw me (I thought it was going to smell like Japanese temples...it doesn't).

Longevity was average. It sadly, however, did not get very complex after the initial smoke blast. I got a light sprinkling of leather and woods. But it remained the identical smoky smell throughout the entire time. I got NO vetiver or jasmine or spice at all - if it's there it's buried underneath the smoke on my skin.

Smoky scent lover note - Japan Noir is just your thing!

bbobkc's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

I have been eating a lot of chicken lately. Maybe thats why I am smelling boiled chicken in this. Yuck!