Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

RobX's avatar

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

A lovely male scent!

Patchoulli and melons - and refreshing

I think this become a classic - if you like pachoulli - get this - yummi

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

Angel + Fruits + Cotton Candy...
    = Angel Innocent!

VERY nice on the skin, so so when first applied but just give it a try and itll do wonders!

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Fresh and clean! Its brilliant!
    I love the green smell, like wet grass almost. About 10 or so minutes after applying, it smells like you came out of a longgggg hotttt shower (using irish spring). In the summertime this keeps the bugs off of me!
    Amazing cologne, nice for...say...
    BBQ? :-P

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

B*Men. Oh B*Men.
    From the moment i smelled this one i knew it would be a failure.
    Its sickenly spicy, not TOO spicy, just the mix of scents starts to smell a bit unusual, and unnatural.
    BUT, ..but but but!
    This fragrance is PERFECT for the fall season, and ONLY when youre outside all day! (I wore it when i went apple picking.. it fit the mood perfectly.)

A*Men Summer Flash by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance does wonders on my skin. You can smell the coffee, not brewed, still in bean form sitting out in a bag on a hot summer day.
    The coffee aroma is very light, but it lingers on top of a few fresh notes. Kinda reminds me of pool water (chlorine) and some mint!

It sits on the second row on my dresser, and thats a pretty damn good spot to be in!

jason_newton's avatar

Japan Japan

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Nice light fragrance with excellent citrus top notes. Good for warm weather but sillage is questionable so it's meant to be used often, I guess.

I am sure I read somewhere (maybe on Chanel's site) that it is to be used liberally and applied often. That's probably why they called it a cologne (even though it is really a EDT). It's also the reason they probably botttle it in 150 ml.

My only complaint now is that if they wish people to use it all day, after sports etc - then they need to make it available in the same refillable spray bottle as they do for the original Alllure Sport.

linnea's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I personally found this perfume horrifying...however, fragrance is an intensely personal thing and I hope that others find it pleasant, avant-garde, and compelling. The otherwise light and generic floral-chypre is undercut by a seriously dirty girl-musk note. To add insult to injury, the floral isn't even that good. This perfume reminds me of my first (and only) summer in a hot, muggy, un-air-conditioned dormitory in Colorado with a girly-girl roommate who didn't shower as much as she should and who had a huge array of scented sprays and cheap perfumes that she used in lieu. I would wither up and die with a 1-litre size of this perfume.

vawallpa's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Smells like strawberry and cream sweets to me. Very fruity and quite feminine for a supposed masculine scent. I haven't smelt anything quite like this, and although I wouldn't purchase this it is quite pleasant.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

If all thumbs up is any indication, this is a winner. Love. Can't find anything wrong with it. if you want a decidedly masculine form of this same scent, then go with Versace Man eau Fraiche. For the ladies, go with Dolce Gabbana light blue.
    Highly recommended.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

My original review is below...it's been almost a year and I revisited this...now I LOVE this. My nose has changed for sure since then ( I have acquired at least 3 dozen bottles since then). Smells like Armani Attitude/B*Men in its initial blast, then it eases up on the gourmand nature quite nicely to a manly cologne. Yes, it still has the slight drugstore aftershave tinge (but very lightly) but the overall effect is nice. What changed? Maybe the weather. It works best in hot/very hot weather. Now recommended.

Joshaugustt and zoomazooma are on point with this. It smells too medicinal to be good. What a let down from T Mugler who is supposed to be awesome.
    At best, it smells like one of the men's bath gels from Old Spice or some cheap aftershave like aquavelve.
    Def not for me, not reccomended.

23rd May, 2007 (Last Edited: 24th April, 2008)

Désir de Rochas pour Homme by Rochas

good stuff. balanced with a tinge of camphor similar to how issey Miyake's original leaves that ever so icy freshness. It is light but strong enough with a flowery but masculine scent in the background. Not bad at all, a flowery scent that is very suitable for men. Can't wait to spend some more time with it. Recommended.

Indiscreet's avatar

White / Noel Blanc by Ava Luxe

Classified by Ava Luxe as a gourmand oriental, White starts off with a whiff of what smells very much like cocoa butter. But, unlike any other gourmand I’ve tried, it morphs into a cool, almost aquatic scent, before finally revealing a gentle musky base. Like most scents, this has very little projection on me, even though today was a hot one. The overall impression is clean and slightly soapy – nice for daytime, but not really evening wear. I’ve become a big fan of Ava Luxe over the last couple of months, but White, though pleasant, isn’t really me.

Scentologist's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I remember confessing my sins of omission when a gentle waft of inscense evades the monastary lumen. I categorize this fragrance as a church inscense. It has a slight synthetic feel to it. It is very dry and vastly inferior to kyoto. My sins of omission were neglecting to purchase kyoto much sooner!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I do have great sympathy for old style citrussy perfumes. And in a way this is IMHO really a good fragrance. The lemon and basil are truely natural. It is fresh and non-offensive. However,I will never wear this stuff, I actually hate it. It's a depressing scent to me, this is how my uncles smelled at funerals when I was a kid.

Signoricci by Nina Ricci

Fantastic opening, but on the drydown a bit too soft for me. Indeed, discrete and non-offensive, but i miss a certain 'bite'. The basenotes are enormously long lasting, but not masculine enough for my taste. It remembers me of how my mothers shawls used to smell. Overall: good and original fragrance, but too weak and I really wonder if anyone else but yourself will scent it. So whats the point of wearing it..

Essential by Lacoste

This is truely terrible. I sprayed a little on my wrist at the drugstore: a disaster. I was expecting an 'easy' fresh fragrance, but this is really agressive stuff! The worst thing: it has a superb longevity.
    I can't recognize any note; my nose almost bleeds of this stuff.

starbug's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

Another one that settles down to vanilla-esque. A little to high street for me.

starbug's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

After the fruity opening, it settles down to the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigs.

Elf's avatar

Terracotta Voile d'Ete by Guerlain

It's not easy to find a warm, spicy scent that can work well on the hottest days. But this is one of them. Carnations, baked earth, spice, and the Guerlinade combine beautifully here. It stays close but lasts well for an EdT- wish they made a parfum version, though! So sorry this was discontinued, it's a gem, and can be found at a good price online.

Rose Opulente by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The first explosion of rose note is a favorite interpretation of roses in my experience with fragrances. I love the particular timbre of it, but it is a little stronger than I ordinarily would prefer for my personal use – especially upon initial application. It settles down nicely but, once settled, the rose note seems to become a bit flat and somewhat washed out… Not content to stay that way, the rose eventually goes musky and powdery. When I first tested Rose Opulente, the jasmine and berries from the heart accord came through beautifully to add balance and clarity to the potent rose, but now they seem to have diminished and the rose note no longer yields to balance – it stays too prominent for my personal preferences. Even in the drydown, the sandalwood gets lost where it used to have a real presence. I still find Rose Opulente a quite nice rose scent, but I miss the sparkle and definition and superior rose note that I experienced when I first tested it. My bottle is the newer style so my increasingly neutral reaction might be the result of a reformulation issue. (Edit of 24 May 2007 review.)

24th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)

Sanguine Muskissime by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Calchic said it perfectly. I agree that this is one of the most beautiful fragrances I’ve encountered. Hauntingly transparent, delicately balanced between the sharp and bitter citruses and the wonderfully clean and bright tea note—accomplished without any sort of interferingly strong sweet note that would steal the stark, soft, beauty from the wonderful interplay of bitter citrus and tea. As Calchic says, it’s not complex—it’s a very simple, clean, and linear accord. It’s not original; it reminds me vaguely of accords in the hearts of Gucci Envy (Femme) and in Amouage Silver for Men. But, oh, gosh, is it gorgeous! Sanguine Muskissime is an ethereally fresh, transparent beauty, but it would be nice if it lasted longer.

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

So this is fenugreek! Now I know what it smells like. I must say I’m happy it doesn’t hang around any longer. This is an ok fragrance. I don’t get very much of the curry spices; on my skin it is actually rather meek and mild—except for the fenugreek. I do get a lot of mild pepper, a very little cinnamon, definite cedar, a sweet (probably benzoin), in addition to my new discovery—fenugreek. All of these present a fragrance that is pleasant but neither special nor intriguing IMO. Then there’s the sandalwood: I really do like the sandalwood. It’s a bit quirky with its touch of camphor, but it is a delicate, refined translucence that I find quite beautiful; but (I suppose simply because it is delicate, refined, and translucent) it stays too close to the skin in performance. I would like some sillage but I’m not getting very much. The sandalwood seems to hang around for several hours as a skin scent. I realize that this fragrance is not a quick study, so I am going to keep testing it: I think it has a very real potential that I haven’t yet been able to unearth, and I can distinctly see the possibility of this becoming one of my top fragrances—I’m just not there yet.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I know a woman that works with me who wears this and I really enjoy it. It's a little strange at first, but I like women to wear proper perfume and not just body-shop lotion smelling crap all the time, so on the occasion that she wears this, I just enjoy it.

From a male perspective, just know that men find this an attractive smell on a woman. I see some thumbs down for this one but I have to disagree. This one pushes my buttons.

k_chandrashekar's avatar

Vetyver by Fragonard

I have long admired and used Guerlain's vetiver, and still regard it a masterpiece.
    But this one, a very different, more austere, take, doing away with the spices and the tobacco of the Guerlain, and substituting them with pine, is a superb rendition too.
    It is elegant, refreshing, crisp and soothing, and has become a favourite summer scent.
    The Fragonard deserves a place in every Vetiver lover's wardrobe.

markc's avatar

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

I would say this is very comforting and relaxing. However, the name to me implied more of an earthy dirty incense, not a clean soapy pretty one. Very soapy to my nose, and after reading of the pickled-ginger note, I agree with that as well. Not bad by any means, just not what I was expecting.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Purists will adore this 'fresh from mother nature' take on Orange Blossom. As for me, I prefer a refined orange blossom note...I find raw essences a bit harsh. Jo Malone's OB also boasts a noticeable amount of jasmine, which is a popular fragrance note although not a personal fave. I'm giving a thumbs up on this one because it has a "stand out" sort of quality - but I won't be wearing it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher

Voile D'Ambre reminds me of the delicate amber notes in Chantilly! I'd have to say this one's not especially warm, it's more on the fresh side. Not a bit cloying or heavy. Timeless classic, feminine, soft and sexy. Wears close to the body, an excellent fragrance choice for warm weather. If you typically don't enjoy resinous amber scents, this one might work for you. Worth a try, for sure!

RobX's avatar

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

fresh, fizzy (yes it is fizzy) lovely

A giant of a fragrance - only one note to speak of though - but it is unique

definitely a big thumbs up

24th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 26th May, 2008)

ealaghi's avatar

United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

It doesn't last long on my skin but it is definitely one of the best scent ever smell. acqua di giò could be the competitor.
    the bottle has a surprising design: a touch of coloured art for any bathroom shelves!

Strollyourlobster's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I want to love this stuff. Mainly because the bottle is so great. And the name--how could THIS frag have ended up as "The Dreamer"? Could it be that I am not a Dreamer? The lily note here is like volatile Kool Aid to this poor daybound nose. It's candy-sweet, maybe to match the dreams of a younger man. But don't even the young dreams of late capitalism smell a bit of blood and gasoline?