Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

mikeperez23's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

A very realistic lime note preceeds a little-too-strong tequila note (it really did smell like I spilled tequila all over myself) that faded into a musky/marine/typical man's scent base.

Sillage was average. Longevity was below average.

Whatever the 'house' scent that Tommy Bahama scent is I have accepted that I don't like it.

Yawn.

sciencegirl's avatar

La Violette by Annick Goutal

Ahhh...candied and green, all at the same time. It hits you with a sweet fresh raspberry note, then some greenery intertwined. Next, sweet violet. The drydown is a soft violet with a hint of clove. I'm so glad it's back!

sciencegirl's avatar

Calypso Violette by Calypso Christiane Celle

I wish this smelled nice on me. It starts off a nice spicey violet, but instead of a rose drydown, it smells like urine on me. I can't get past it, but I think on the right person with the right body chemistry it would be amazing.

kennyken's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

like everybody, this isn't a bad scent, mark my word. but the expectations i had built up were all floored when i smelt this. its an everyday scent that is nice, but nothing like everyone expected.

Aaron01's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

An excellent fragrance that exudes refined class and good taste. Why the thumbs down then? It lasts 3 hours TOPS. This would be an exceptional fragrance if it lasted.

It opens with a burst of lemon and the drydown is a powdery moss.
    Despite having lemon (a citrus) it's very original for this time period. It's just a shame that the longevity and sillage are absent with this fragrance.

Do I regret buying this? No, not really. Will I replace this once I've used up my bottle? God no.

I equate this fragrance to speed dating with a supermodel. Fun as hell, but it doesn't last for long so make it count!

If you want to buy this, decant into a small spray bottle and carry with you for touchups; they will be needed.

Champs Elysee's avatar

Soir de Lune by Sisley

I went shopping to Harrods in London today, not meaning to stop at the Sisley counter, somehow I stopped there and tested this, I was lucky enough to get a smaple too. This will be my next purchase, a lovely feminine soft pretty smell, just right for the summer.

mjclark's avatar

Man of Aran by Burren Perfumery

Lovely opening of sour fruits drying down to a simple but intelligent aquatic and citrus accord with maybe a hint of licqourice.Reminiscent of Trussardi Jeans except that TJ is too heavy-handed whereas this frag is elegant,beautiful and full of Celtic sparkle!
    Lasted well on my skin for about six hours then suddenly vanished without a trace,which added to its magical quality.An unexpected delight!

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I used to wear this in my mid-twenties. Now, at 40+ I can't stand the smell anymore. The opening is lovely and fresh , I must admit, but that takes only 5 seconds. On the drydown, there's no warmth at all, and that's not how I remembered it. Did they change the recipe or what? It smells cheap now, and in fact, it's not that cheap at all! Spend your money on something more classy.

Chrome by Azzaro

Sharp and fresh opening, very nice. Because of this opening, I was tempted to buy this stuff a couple of years ago. Big mistake: after the opening it starts to smell really chemical, a bit like shoeshine. Not pleasant at all.
    Also, I don't like the colour of the juice. This kind of blue, that's no good for a edt or after shave..

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

'm not a big fan of sweet and woody. But this stuff is fantastic! Very characteristic, and yet subtle and non-offensive. Maybe not suitable for the office, or is it? It is strong in a way that it has 'body', it's finished and polished, but it definitely isn't overwhelming like lots of modern fragrances can be. It's a very private scent, in a way.
    The black box with the white print,the masculine bottle...this is something a man whant's to posess, eh? Luxurious quality. Like a pair of quality shoes or a swiss watch.
    Of course you should try this before buying it. I'm sure you will like the smell, but will you feel comfortable wearing it?

Vetiver by Guerlain

Tried this the other day...what a disappointment that was! Top notes are very unpleasant, IMHO of course. Almost sickening. Om the drydown, it smells exactly like a bar of Sunlight soap. Quite pleasant actually, but nothing to get excited about! Be careful, try this before you buy: the beautiful bottle, the Guerlain reputation, and loads of positive reviews can be too much of a temptation...

katejoy's avatar

L'Infante by Divine

Ick. Yuck. Pe-ew.

katejoy's avatar

Rivière de Janvier by Des Filles a la Vanille

Riviere de Janviere comes on to me as coconut, not an unpleasant coconut, but an unexpected one. She wraps around me with a bit of powder, but she keeps whispering coconut. I can fall in love with this fragrance but I am still waiting to see if she has staying power.

starbug's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sour lemon. Perhaps too feminine for me

Wish by Chopard

great bottle... smell is nice but i find it flatter than angel. after the first ten minutes i take mainly vanilla and amber and besides flatness i also find these kind of sweetness tiring for my senses....

Amarige by Givenchy

sweet and cloying in a nice way. i like to wear it in some cool days. i smell elaeagnus blossoms, linden blossoms and a small bit of honeysuckle... all reminds me of a long, hot, childhood summer spent in laziness in neighbourhood gardens... makes me feel good in dark winterdays.

Versace Woman by Versace

Ugliest bottle ever... when i first tried it i find it very impressing. Something went wrong on the second and third. But my first impression was so nice that i did not give up trying. Now after fourth try i can say that it has a great extraordinary opening but then comes a nasty chemical which reminds me of depilatory creams. Probably a problem with my skin chemistry. but i feel like having lost something. Where is the enigmatic scent i falled in love with...

24th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2008)

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

When i tried it several months ago what impressed me most, was it's staying power (edp). At 12th hour it was still completely on my wrist. At 24 hour it was slightly but barely there. At 36th hour there was still a undefinable smell on my wrist. I haven't experienced something like this before. This means a good chemistry between us. So i have taken this as a sign and bought one as soon as possible. For the last months it was my favorite.

I agree with the scent's characteristics. Really joyfull and sunny. It is also extraordinary with the two uncommon main characters almond and mimosa blossoms. The strong silage of those almond blossoms plays a good trick on my mood. It makes me feel like bold cool lady with a thin wrist in tight bodice and a big artsy hat; walking on champs elysse in the early1900's. This really puts me up. sure i will order one more.

24th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2008)

Jon_Remy's avatar

Arden Men - Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden

Don't tell me they're discontinuing this?!?! This is the PERFECT fragrance for a man from the 60s. It is almost purely sandalwood (a very popular scent for incense in the 60s). I LOVE this fragrance and am disappointed that they're discontinuing it. With all the woody fragrances around like Gucci PH and YSL's M7, as well as Creed's Tabarome Millesime or even Vintage Tabarome, this fits very nicely within that group. Yes, I'll say it, the sales execs at Elizabeth Arden are STUPID to discontinue this genuine one-of-a-kind fragrance. And the fact that it LASTS is good too. There are too many fragrances nowadays that don't last even 5 minutes. Instead of discontinuing this fragrance, they should try promoting it and re-launching, directing it at those aging baby boomers and older retirees who play golf all day. It is the perfect scent for them! In my opinion, it really smells like a wealthy man's fragrance. So, if anyone from Elizabeth Arden reads this review, PLEASE don't discontinue this quite yet. With the right promo, it could be a BIG seller.

leor_77's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

I actually really love this scent. Even though I completely hate the top notes of citrus, I just try to wait 15 minutes and not smell myself until it drys down a bit, and then it becomes very seductive. My new favorite.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

If you were feeling uncharitable, you might say that YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentree is all about a sweaty man sucking lemons. But that would be untrue as well as unkind. An invigorating opening of sharp lemon is very soon joined by what strikes my nostrils as a rather sour note of male body odour. This is presumably the "dirty herbs" aspect of the fragrance which the estimable Vicompte de K refers to somewhere.
    The citrus and the sweating herbs engage in conversation for quite a while, by turns intriguing, attractive, and slightly offensive. The family resemblance with the original YSL Pour Homme is always in evidence, although the Haute Concentree version is a less straightforward fellow, just as refined (both in terms of quality of ingredients and subtle modulations from one phase of the scent to the next), but with a hint of rudeness and peculiar personal habits.
    The later phases of the Haute Concentree version are truly delightful and also seem to me to come closest to the original YSL Pour Homme - the slightly suspect dirty herbs/ body odour element surrenders to a warm and exquisite complexity.
    I have to say that I still prefer the cleaner, sunnier ambience of the original.

Naitch's avatar

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

This is definately run of the mill and very generic. Luckily I used a sample instead of buying. This scent is so common it smells like Cerutti Image with even less staying power (about an hour). In fact you've probably smelled this so many times it's going to be one of the reasons it fades so fast. If this is what you want, get Axe instead. It's cheaper and will last longer. In about a year nobody will be carrying this anyway.

Naitch's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

For a new fragrance, this is surprisingly long lasting and refreshing. I tried this from a sample not really expecting very much given the fact that the original Baldessarini cologne is so weak. Just a few spays will last all day. The dry down smells of musk/vanilla/leather to me. I don't detect the whisky but maybe you have to use it for awhile. At any rate I will be making this part of the rotation in the future.

parisa's avatar

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the only SL that works on my skin and I've tried them all! It's wonderfully elegant and dries down to a romantic floral softness that is so hard to describe...absolute gem!

Quixotiq's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It makes no sense at all trying to describe this gorgeous and unique work of art. THIS is my holy grail! This is my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This is my light at the end of a dark tunnel. This is ME! When I wear it, I feel as if I am complete. I wear it on my wrists. I wear it on the insides of my elbows. I wear it behind my ears. I wear it behind my knees. I wear it on the small of my back. I dab some on my "pleasure trail".. I wear it to work. I wear it to art galleries. I were it to bed. I wear it during sex. I wear it whenever I feel like it. No certain occasion needed.
    I am so proud to be the owner of this precious and exclusive masterpiece. Whenever I wear Muscs Koublai Khan, I feel like a better man!

Dane's avatar

Charmes et Feuilles by The Different Company

Orange blossom perfection. Perfect for a man or a woman. Very light and decent lasting power, although it stays close to the skin.

stinger's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Very citric and sharp and IMHO totally different from the concept of other allures. The longevity and the projection are good. Worth a try

teflondog's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

It starts off nice with prominent floral notes. But unfortunately it dries down to a basic powdery scent that smells like a stripped down version of Le Male IMO. As a fan of JPG, I hate to say that I was disappointed in this one.

bront82's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

ohhh ...
    this one makes me gag! i just can't stand to be around anyone who wears this! the aquatic notes are suffocating and the sweetness truly awful! stay away ... or at least stay away from me if you ever feel inclined to spray yourself with this aromatic monstrosity!

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Cirrus by Amouage

A truly boring sporty-fresh-aquatic-ozonic number. Save your money and get something from Boss or any other mid-market maker if you're into this kind of scents.