Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

michelle_gale's avatar
    michelle_gale

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I'm with Paul G on this - although I'm a lover of foody scents, this was simply over the top. It was so rich and sweet that I scrubbed it off immediately.

GeorgeBernard's avatar
    GeorgeBernard
    Netherlands Netherlands

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Watery and very flowery, no spice, no 'bite', woodnotes hardly detectible. Even if you like lighter fragrances with flowery notes, thisone of CH might be a disappointment for you. It's simply too feminine.

GeorgeBernard's avatar
    GeorgeBernard
    Netherlands Netherlands

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

Ok smell, I mean for a showergel or shampoo..Very green, very natural. But no development, no warm notes, you'll smell all day like you just a came out of the shower. If that's what you're looking for, this maybe worth a try (for no money at all)

tarant's avatar
    tarant
    Switzerland Switzerland

Cool Water by Davidoff

this was a good perfume once. but it is too famous. and too soulless. a lot of people buy cool water if they haven't an idea what else to buy.
    on my skin it smells exactly the same like on a piece of paper. it is not like a personal perfume that gives a personal touch on the skin. it has no personality for me.
    sorry to say that, but 'cool water' is really 'out'. :-(

jrd4t's avatar
    jrd4t

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

i'm guessing jon_remy is bashing this because he can't afford it since his entire review focuses on the cost as do most negative creed reviews. yes, it is a safe scent and it's not as unique as virgin island water, etc, but cost aside, it is a great scent. come one people, if it costs too much, buy something else than bash otherwise very pleasant scents (though i will admit creed is quite sub-par in longevity... i've gone through an eighth inch of virgin island water in three days.)

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

one of the best and most characteristic scent i have ever used..
    Hard to find at the markets but absolutely has a special place in your heart. Go for it .. At least try..

Cool Water by Davidoff

fresh but not for the matures..
    used it when i was in college and liked it but don think to use it again at my age...

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Old fashioned but one of the most masculine scent which i have ever used.
    Long lasting but it does not appeal to all the ladies...

Pi by Givenchy

it does not appeal to me..soft not long lasting and too sweet.
    need some wood smell to be a masculine one..

sylvianella's avatar
    sylvianella

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I absolutley love this perfume. I have tried the EDT and the EDP and the EDP is slightly sweeter, more floral rather than musky and less fresh and breezy, but I think this adds a bit of depth and energy to it. The staying power of the EDT was really really dissapointing on me- only about an hour (and thats being generous), even if i used the shower gel and body lotion, so really not worth the money, as it is quite expensive compared to other perfumes in department stores. I have not yet tried the EDP for longetivity yet though. I hope it is better.

Hoppity's avatar
    Hoppity

Blu Notte by Bulgari

Well, it smells gorgeous on me and I get complimented all the time because of it. I don't detect the vodka (although maybe that contributes to the freshness of the fragrance), for me it's light and feminine. I wear it all day, it's subtle, powdery and light. It even smells "blue".

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I've had a bottle of this for a month now and now I think I can properly review it. I was kind of mad at myself for paying retail price for it, since it's a bit less versatile than some of my other Creeds that I've bought for less. But since I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get this, it goes with the territory...

OK, this is a unique fragrance. The notes I get are lime, white rum, coconut, and musk predominantly. This scent doesn't drydown in pyramid fashion, nor is it linear. The notes each come and go and come and go almost randomly--as if each was carried by its own independent breeze.

This scent goes on a bit oily, which does give it a slight buttery suntan lotion feel. But the real upside is the amazing longevity I get from this. I applied one spray to the upper chest over 12 hours ago, and it's still going strong. And I bet I'll still be able to smell it several hours later. Amazing balance of sillage/longevity and at the same time-- never overpowering. The perfect balance is achieved.

As far as versatility-- this is a summer/spring vacation scent-- It's not something you'd probably want to wear to a funeral, under any circumstances. It's very unisex, and though there is the ylang-ylang note, it doesn't smell feminine. It does smell a bit "thematic"--you probably won't want to smell like a Malibu and Coke with lime every day, even in the summer... but on those days when you do decide to wear it, you are going to make friends fast!

Again, the longevity I get out of this is tops! Sure there's coconut, but where some people think this smells like a pina colada--for me, with the prominent fresh lime and rum, I get more of a cuba libré vibe from this on my skin. The lime note in this is a force to be reckoned with. Quite a different style for a Creed, but the Creed quality is evident.

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

VE is a terrifically sophisticated vetiver fragrance. It is not overstated nor too strong; nor is it a vetiver trying to bring out the "true" vetiver note by imposing a contrasting citrus element on the user. It is so perfectly blended that the mid-tier and basenotes are hard to discern. Eventually, VE tends to disappear into the skin, and yet it hovers over it in a edifying way. Very masculine, not sweet, but not rough, brash or dissonant either. Where other vetivers can be a bit difficult to wear, this one is a sheer pleasure to put on. The only bad news: greatness does not come cheap.

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Hâttric Classic by Olivin

This was in the grim, prerevolutionary Romania and all troughout the 90's a scent which embodied western lifestyle and at the same time the most generic aftershave, yet in a good way. However, i can't understand today's fashion to detract it in the very same country as worst scent ever- in fact, i guess i can understand this reaction as an opposition of sons and nephews
    ( not yet grandsons, but it will come soon) against a scent which, inspite of existing only from 1988 onwards seems to have a long history dating from the forefathers, being already an elderly statemesman / grand old dad fragrance. While i can fully understand the radical for or against reaction, most of its detractors must bear in mind on tiny thing: most of them condemn it even without smellling it, or only because it is conservative ( which does not equal necessarily dated, unfashionable or plain) or because, one of the most important bias, snobbery is sadly a well established norm these days, because it is extremely low cost. Still, it fails to smelll cheap and to a fan of classics and basics than me, it is a fr better buy then the tens of times ore costly Hugos and Waters and Acquas of no individuality. Besides the fact that it spoils my skin with clean-cut citrus and makes me literally smell like fresh out of the best barbershop in the world , like good quality shaving cream ( sensation whch is also present, both to me and others, due to the more exclusive Rive Gauche) and that comfortable feeling of staring the day revitalized and uplifted, bear also in mind that the aftershave from hattrick classic is one of the few which makes my quite sensitive and highly irritable skin not to loook like a bloodbank or a battlefield after shaving, which says a lot about this product's real value. Apart from that, it might not be the dermatological qualities that should be discussed here and believe me, i don't confuse the plesant aftershave sensation and their important part in my life with a good fragrance. Irrespective of that, Hattrick is a good fragrance and for an almost invisible amount of bucks/ euros..., a true investement. while the west was still giving the world one of the last true macho, yuppiefied and dandified powerhouse 80's masterworks, most based on the well-known citrus-chypre-leather recipe, this one follows in the footssteps of this formula, partly rubbing of, partly being taken to an anterior and more subtle interpretation- the serene yet mature and overtly masculine beauty of timeless partly cologne-type, partly herbal -aromatic, lighter yet equally virile and structured citrus, which shines at equally...understated yet formal and recognizable intensity in both quarter-of-millenium-old basics
    and in some delightfully anochronistic present day creations which oppose to fading trends the certainty of a never misplaced or obsoloete vintage-style formula. How can i describe the scent? Besides the citrus, which altough very present and of great antseptic/ astringent quality does not truly stand out in your face but reminds of its presence discreet yet difficult not to notice, the drydown is a mellow yet rich and spicy note.
    In my humble opinion it smells like
    no-noonsense and exquisite manhood with both tender and extrovertedly energetic ( yet not coarse or tyrannic, blunt or banal) shades. It
    was probably a good thing that the most affordable European aftershave ever got such exposure in my country, bacause ven if it's image value and esteem are quite low these days, it still was for many consumers who eiter lacked the cash or, worse, had the cash but never the taste or tradition in this sense, a good staring point of how a male fragrance shouls smell like, especially as a starter scent which was not so different from many designer or even boutique citrus classics. And tough i never belonged to the cathegory mentioned before, even in my mind hattrick classic was always percieved like to most simple and available definition of if not the ideal, han at least the " never-can-go-wrong" inoffensive, never obvious fragrance suitable for almost any occasion.

Sardu's avatar
    Sardu

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

Unlike its predecessor Ho Hang, which is a masterpiece in subtlety and takes at least two sprays to work, this one comes out full bore and has more in common with something like Trussardi. The whole thing is coated with the exact same honey note found in the much lamented Balenciaga Pour Homme. Great scent for the unafraid.

stinger's avatar
    stinger

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I own a bottle of that. This juice is very synthetic and doesn´t last long on my skin. Overall, this is an average fresh scent. It is a very good seller in Estonia along with AdG and Chanel Sport.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Honestly, I have a reed diffuser from Pier One Imports in an aqua scent that smells exactly like this Polo Blue. I like it as a bathroom air freshener, but not on my man!

Voyage by Nautica

Found some listed notes on this one:

Cut Green Leaf, Green Apple, Mimosa, &
    "Sailcloth Accord", Moss, Cedarwood, Musk & Amber.

Voyage is fresh and summery. I like that for a warm weather scent it is not aquatic/marine, and there is no citrus involved. I'm not sure what "sailcloth accord" smells like, possibly cotton-ish. I do like this blend very much! Voyage is an interesting heat of the summer refresher.

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

Jon BonJovi representing this product is the very best part of RSVP! The fragrance itself is very middle of the road. The opening is grapefruit which fades almost instantly. I don't really detect the 'wet grasses' note or the orchid or iris for that matter. There is lavender - mild and fresh. Dries down to a cedarwood/amber/musk base which is slightly sweet and very anemic. I wish it had more "oomph", sadly it just fades away...

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Hey guys, from these reviews I gather you're not too excited about this Armani Attitude but guess what? The girls love it! Yep. It's a fabulous frag for the heat of summer...fresh, light, sweet and sexy!!! O.K. ~ maybe it is a re-run of a previous scent, but we really don't care, we just know it's yummy! (Yummy is good BTW.) Besides, the bottle is styled like the old Zippo cigarette lighters, kind of "James Dean-ish". What woman doesn't like a little bad boy in her man?

Island Voyage by Nautica

Notes of Island Voyage:

Top: Ocean Marine, Lemon, Black Pepper, bergamot, honeydew melon.

Middle: Lavender, Wild Jasmine, Purple Iris.

Bottom: Cedarwood, Musk, Sandalwood.

I tested this simultaneously with Voyage, which I prefer. IMO this 'Island' version would have been better off without the ocean marine & wild jasmine notes. The black pepper, lemon and honeydew combination is an interesting & unique blend. As for the remainder, I think the original is better constructed and much more wearable!

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

For some crazy reason, I actually like this scent. Not on a regular basis mind you, but as a fun alternative to serious fragrance. First spritz of this elixir smells exactly like a margarita, which is my favorite summertime cocktail. What really catches me off guard is the saltiness! Yeah, you can actually smell the salt! So creative & playful ~ has a more 'classy' drydown than the Demeter line of fragrance. The base is musky. I've also sampled the women's counterpart(not yet listed in the Basenote's directory) and it mirrors this male version in a simple, softer manner. Both bottles are attractive as well. I probably won't be investing in the full size, I'm having enough fun with my samples.

Brit by Burberry

Brit smells very generic perfumey (Burberry perfumes seem to do that) but unlike most generic perfumey scents I like it. It's comforting and pleasant, although strong and sweet and synthetic enough to give some people headaches I'm sure. It's a white scent, softly powdery with vanilla, white musk, white flowers... Not the ordinary white flowers like jasmine, lily, muguet, but something like honeysuckle, heliotrope, white rose? It says white peony and perhaps that's why I like it, I love peonies. It's also vaguely gourmandy, perhaps a bit much so for my taste, and I think I detect anise and perhaps a pinch of other spices too? All in all one of the better department store offerings, although I like the more original Brit Red with the rhubarb topnote better.

Té by Beth Terry Creative Universe

I have a weakness for tea scents and this is a good one, somewhere in between green and black tea, with hints of citrus, greenery and wood. Not quite as green and fresh and "sparkly" as it sounds from the notes, more dry, but still a refreshing tea scent.

Gold by Donna Karan

This might actually be one of the most disgusting perfumes I've ever smelled, like an attempt at creating something "dark" and "mysterious" gone horribly wrong. Stale, watery, decaying lilies on a raw, thin, pseudo-leathery base with perhaps a hint of musty spice. Yuck.

ObsessionForMen's avatar
    ObsessionForMen

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Soooo Italian! One of my all time favs. It really smells of the Italian countryside- woods, lavender, cypress, jasmine, etc. Not for everyone but full of CLASS! They don't make them like this anymore.

TaoLady's avatar
    TaoLady

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

A fellow BNer traded me an elegant little mini - square, clear glass bottle, coin shaped clear glass top of same outer dimensions and depth - charming!! Love the frag - just my cup of floriental. The cumin opening blossoms into a rich floral anchored in woodsy patchouli. She's a full bodied diva - and you can take her anywhere.

TaoLady's avatar
    TaoLady

La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty

This beautifully blended floral was the original composition of Francois Coty - credited with birthing the modern fragrance industry.

From Scripophily.com - "The story of how Coty actually managed to get the stores to carry his new perfumes is nothing short of legendary. At the Grands Magasins du Louvre department store in Paris, he tried in vain to convince the buyer to display his new fragrance, 'La Rose Jacqueminot.' Then, perhaps by accident, perhaps on purpose, Coty dropped one of the fragrance bottles on the floor. It shattered. Women in the area -- some claim they were hired by Coty for exactly this purpose -- excitedly demanded to know what the scent was and where they could buy it. The incident convinced the Le Grands Magasins and all the other department stores in Paris to carry Coty's fragrances."

La Rose was re-issued by Coty in the late 80's or early 90's which is where and when I first encountered it. I got my present bottle of vintage from an online store to which I was directed by fellow BNer Lightnin'rod, to whom I will be forever grateful.

It has a bit of an edge to it - but is still glorious. Opens on a bright floral note that is primarily tea-rose, subtly underplayed with a heavier rose (Bulgarian? Damask? My nose is not that educated), just a hint of greeny lavender and violet and a tender, light ambery musk. Like many classics, the dry-down is just a richer "cello" version of the middle notes - no surprises, just deeper pleasure.

This is the one fragrance I have ever worn that stops people in their tracks and elicits everything from "Mommy, you smell so-o-o-o-o good" to things I won't mention!

Superb!!

's avatar

Greenergy by Givenchy

Very pleasant green chypre - I got this very cheaply in a taxfree shop. Although it's supposed to be for men it worked very well for me as a refreshing vetiver scent for the summer.

baris99's avatar
    baris99

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

cheapest nice Tj-MAX frag.
    looking gift for your friends get that one ..good for its price