Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

Aspen for Men by Coty

My first ever cologne. Has the piney smell with an added dimension that seems atmospheric. Not just straight pine needles like the original Polo. Yet simple. Great for the price.

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

I remember a friend was wearing this and I had never smelt something so unique and interesting. I didn't know they made fragrances like this and it made me want to sample fragrances for the first time. A captivating scent. Probably my favorite.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I'm reviewing this after ~8 yrs. of owning it. I think I had that bottle of colgne for like 10 yrs so I guess that does say its not for everyday use.
    As a fragrance it is a great and unique scent that is sweet and oriental. It seems to linger low--that is if you put on just a little.
    But as for buying more today that is a negative. Yes, for one it became quite trendy. And it seems like its for a younger lad maybe because I was in high school when I first got it. I enjoyed it while I had it of course that is why I bought it. So thumbs up for actual scent + thumbs down for wearability = neutral.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I was just using Axe lol for years until I sprittzed this one on while at a department store. It was way better than any of the Axes. So I got me a bottle. Most of the reviewers are correct when they describe it as clean. Its pure clean without any complication. Subtle too.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

As said, recognizable and memorable. And since its a unisex, on the sweet side so its wearable for women. I like the smell of it, but as a cologne its not my taste. This would be good as an air freshener. It seems to have this effect anyway--it fills the room. Have to give it a thumbs down since wearability for me is a crucial factor in critiquing a cologne.

Guess Man by Guess

Got a sample of this from dept. store. It seems like there was a big trend in this style fragrance ever since Tommy. Its just like that but a little more masculine. I agree with robyogi; its a politically correct scent. Nice "smell". Not unique.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Just tried Dunhill Fresh today. Nothing like Dunhill Edition which is one of my favorites. The "fresh" comes out on the baby powder (for lack of a better comparison) side rather than the clean side. Then there is a peppery undertone clashing with it. Just not my taste.

Essential by Lacoste

It is Lemony and nearly smells like a womens perfume. Yet another member of the Tommy clan. Did you get into your mothers cosmetics?, they might ask.

washedaway's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Overall I am neutral on this fragrance. I have been wearing it now for about three weeks in a variety of settings. Sometimes it feels a bit too cliche of fragrance, too similar to others, like other Lacoste and Azzaro's Chrome.

However, it is a very unobtrusive scent, with a lighter overall profile than some scents which makes it great for daytime, office, or anytime wear as another reviewer said, "you won't offend anyone with it."

This would actually be a great cologne for a young man looking to step away from his friends who all wear Curve, Acqua Di Gio, D&G and wants to have a clean fresh smell that will have people asking him, "Hey, what is that you're wearing?"

Pro's - Clean, fresh, none of the notes are very overpowering (though the tangerine is the most noticeable, at least to me), can be worn almost anywhere
    Con's - Fairly generic scent profile, only slightly different than other popular brand scents, no real "WOW" factor, more expensive than it really should be
    Rating - 3/5

Collection - Keeping it
    Rotation - Infrequent, but will be used
    Recommended for - anyone who wants a clean, fresh scent that isn't likely to offend anyone around you

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Foetidus´s review is very accurate. Versace´s l'Homme really epitomizes how brilliant mainstream designer fragrances once were. This is so well blended that it is hard to pinpoint the individual notes.

It does start with some pleasant citrus and eventually settles down to a semi-sweet, mossy, herbal and highly masculine base. Lasts forever and the progression is flawless, with each hour a new great nuance of the scent is revealed.

L'Homme slightly reminds me of Dunhill Edition, but less sweet and superior overall.

Balanced, full of character, subtle yet decisive - this IS bottled elegance. Do get it quick before it dissapears completely. 10 out of 10.

Aoud Lime by Montale

As the earlier reviews indicate, Aoud Lime hardly leaves anyone neutral. This is definitely a strong and somewhat agressive fragrance with a sharp personality. Can´t really think of anything even remotely resembling it.

My experience with oud is also very limited, but I certainly enjoy it in YSL´s M7. And after sampling a few of the Montales M7 seems to be true to the naure of this pungent wood.

Aoud Lime becomes something completely different though. The sharp lime combined with the smoky and semi-sweet woods creates a dry, herbaceous and medicinal aura. The dryness is further accentuated by the strong iris and organic sandalwood. The sillage is a killer - will take over a small room in no time, so be gentle on the trigger. Overall a very cool and unusual fragrance. Can imagine it working extremely well on the right femme fatale as well.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermès certainly is appreciated by many basenoters and there has been plenty of discussion regarding it on the boards. Personally I find it hard to form a distinct opinion. It´s just so and so. Not bad at all, but definitely not groundbreaking or very desirable either.

The broad shouldered and proud looking flacon however is excellent, as always with this house.

I strongly feel that this theme was done better with Cartier´s Declaration, that also used a tad of cumin (just like the first Hermès) for an added dangerousness. If I´m not misstaken Ellena was the creator of that one too, which would certainly explain the similarities.

TdH is mainly a grapefruit/vetiver combo to my nose. The slightly acidic citrus works well with the earthy grass and that mineral note that sounded like fancy copywriting at first is definitely lurking in there. It creates a salty soiliness making the scent stand out from many other fresh juices of today.

Longevity is decent compared to general stuff, but superb compared to several others from this particular house.

Certainly worth a try. I can see how this can become a easily worn everyday staple scent for some. I´ll stick to the original Bulgari pour homme for that purpose.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Like it but it's easy to get bored of it soon. Mysterious.
    Artificial citric and green, but clean and not sticky, with a odd mix of salty notes and animalistic ( I only can explain it with the obvious ambergris that I assume It's the main note going alltrough the pyramid).Even so still subtle and easy to wear in any occasion. Worth a try.
    Smells very similar to Terre, the masculine one.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Is it just me or someone else think that this one smells quite alike to eau de merveilles?
    :):)
    oh well, probably it's just me!

I tryed it last sunday and I though the tester botle was wrong and they bottled the fragrance wrongly,as It smelled exactly in my skin like the female version: eau de merveilles.
    So I cross to the woman section and I sprayed in the other wrist the female one and I swear, there mostly the same
    Check out for yourself!.

TaoLady's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Bought this in solid edp - forget why, it is not what I would normally try. I mean - Britney SPEARS??? But it's really yummy. The immediate note is the lychee - brisk and pungent with the jasmine hovering close by. The chocolate is light and inviting and the the musk/orris gives it a solid under-thrum. I really really like it! And snaps for the packaging!!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

OKAY...this IS good, all the bad reviews are impatient "want it right now" noses. The scent starts out soft, then it disappears, then WHAM! it hits you. Very nice, I love it its great for winter when all is cold, it imparts a nice warmth that stays with you without hurting your nose. Excellent sillage and longevity as well.

Sample it and let it be for more than 2hrs and you will love it!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

Nice. Another 'amber' scent, which I was initially surprised that it is not one of the ingredients. But it makes perfect sense because the amber (which shows up in less than an hour) is not dominating like most amber frags. This character makes it perfect for those who enjoy that amber flavor but don't want it to be overpowering.
    This reminds me of "so delicious" by Gale Hayman, in fact they are almost exactly the same. The Cavalli though is more well executed...it starts out like Bulgari black (short round bottle with what looks like a tire) and then the amber shows up. It also smells like GUCCI PH plus the aforementioned Bulgari.

odysseusm's avatar

Lavender by Crabtree & Evelyn

Crabtree & Evelyn’s Lavender Water is indeed a simple one-note fragrance... and a brilliant one. It is natural, beautiful; a true lavender scent. Sometimes the best things in life are very simple, this is one of them. Lavender can be a floral that is suitable for men: it is dry and slightly herbal, with bracing and uplifting qualities, and an outdoorsy feel. This one is classy, not heavy (thus an excellent daytime scent), fun and cheery. It is superb. And it is not expensive! What more can we want? Thumbs are pointing very high here!

anastajia's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I just realized that on me this scent smells like Fruit Loops. But I love it. It's like Fruit Loops with spice. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long. I agree that it is great for summer.

fusion's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

Nothing new here just a softer fahrenheit and i like it its like fahrenheit for the summer works well in warm or humid weather unlike fahrenheit which its way to strong in warm or hot weather and the bottle is cool I'm going to have to give a thumbs up

snifferdog's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This has to be the most nauseating concoction on the market. I'm sorry to all those who like it, but it smells very much like the artificial flavours in fairy floss (cotton-candy for the americans).

It's sweet beyond the point of cloying, and really does not offer a great deal of complexity. A good fragrance smells pleasant. A great fragrance takes you away to another world. This is not good enough to even fall under mediocre.

nthny's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I did appreciate Platinum Egoiste at one time and actually owned a bottled, but I realized that it was not only continuously off-putting to those around me, but just projected "me" too loudly. It said things about me I didn't agree with. If you enjoy the bright greenness of this fragrance but want more subtlely and refinement, I might suggest Creed's Green Valley. To me, Platinum recalls Green Valley with the fine rare imported oils of Gilette Shaving Gel mixed in. No, it's not that bad, but the first burst is unfortunately very gym locker room, the sharpness of "masculine" freshness and cleanliness on steroids.

04 May, 2007 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2008)

whunterr's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

This fragrance is about chemistry. On paper I liked it. Not loved, but liked it. So I decided to buy a bottle and well, I usually go for softer scents, this initially packs a hit, but dryed down on me to like, a wood chip. I took it back the next day for a refund.

whunterr's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

WOW.. You either like it or not. I love it. I own the classic and have had the Gaultier 2. But this one, I heard about on here, it took a while to be released. I received a sample the other day. Initially I wasnt sure what to make of it, but after walking around and taking sniffs. I found myself loving it and went back to get a bottle. Its very subtle, yet powerful and I have gotten nothing but compliments from people who have gotten a whif as I passed by them. Worth trying to see if its for you or not, but for me, Gaultier has another hit as this and the classic are very different blends and not to forget the gaultier 2, which is a different blend as well and depends very heavily on your skin chemistry

iMaverick's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Celebriscents either smell clueless or cheap...With Love is amazing, probably because it's done with careful restraint and balance. Nothing like a composition ruined by spiking it with fruit and/or florals that are overly voluptuous and headache inducing. Funny how I like WL...HD a lot more than the overly done Black Orchid by Tom Ford, which costs twice as much and not at all impressive to me. Because With Love has a woody amber tone at the base, there's also a familiarity to L'Occitane's Ambre and Armani Attitude for Men. With Love is well done, sophisticated and not at all girly-girly smelling of fruity gum drops and botanical hair conditioners.

Joe_Frances's avatar

British Sterling by Dana

You wake up one morning, and while searching for your Blackberry, you notice in the mirror that you have zits!Zits! And not only that, it's not your house or apartment, no....you are home again, a teenager, and yes, Dad is in the bathroom going at it with his electric razor. No more Art of Shaving for you, or Serge Lutens, you creep into the bathroom, and there's only one bottle on the shelf, and that is an opaque bottle of British Sterling, and the whole room smells like the citrus and male hormones- - a room full of high school boys, and you pray that you will wake up, but no, no, not yet... Everything smells like British Sterling, and Your Dad... your Dad is not your Dad, has become Rod Serling......and you are in the twilight zone (fade to creepy Twilight Zone musical crash noise)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wonderful suave cinnamon and orange fragrance, this can be worn in the warmer months when the JHL is put away. This is an acceptable unisex fragrance, and I usually hate unisex stuff. Fairly linear-- there isn't much development, but that is not a problem if what you have is choice, and this is. Great for casual and dressier applications, I have been seduced by Rousse.

omniray's avatar

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

heey its not bad at all, nice spicy-ambar base with a citrus woody touch... longevity is great, not a hit but really nice, give a try first and think by your self...

my fav Zegna release by the way...

Tovah's avatar

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

Rich, gorgeous, sensual. It's somewhere between Obsession and Shalimar...but better. This is truly an unforgettable fragrance. It makes me feel special; elegant, rare.

Tovah's avatar

Sage by Sage Machado

Sage is a rich, fresh, leafy fragrance that smells like the stunning smell of blooms that suddenly permeates the air with the first rush of Spring. The sage note is distinct, but it's sweetened and mellowed by the sweet pea. The base of musks and tonka is the perfect enhancement to the intensity of the floral-herby greens. I've read that this is Sage's best-selling fragrance, and, although it doesn't top my love of Pearl, I had to own it.