Latest Perfume Reviews

Cuir de Gardenia by Aftelier

It's a majestic blast of Oxygen rich Grandiflorum Absolute that wacks me by the side of the head with a strip of cured pancetta, much like SMN Peau D'Espagne. A Waxy petroleum is in the background. Gardenia is not apparent until this scent softens on the skin. It comes more as a feeling of soft butter on the palette and in the finish a nod to points of spice and sulphur. Castoreum? Perhaps. Just enough to draw my nose to the light Indolic. Gentle sweetness, applied with such finesse as to provide balance and draw notice to the Floral.
24th August, 2017

Tango by Masque

Tango is a sultry and rich, exotic amber that reveals itself in small quick unfolding bites of rose, labdanum, jasmine sambac, patchouli, frankincense, morrocain spice and then glides to a soft finish on benzoin and musk. Tango opens the door to the party with the boldness of Mazzolari Lui or Rundholz '68, then retreats to the quieter side ending in softness and comfort. Tango is lively, but easy to live with. Nice one!
24th August, 2017

Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne

A supreme take on Amber with out being overbearing. This is a very smooth scent from start to finish. I would say it does start of slightly masculine with the spice. Closer to the dry down this rides the unisex line perfectly... not too sweet not to floral not to spicy. Enjoyable across the board... Try before you buy due to pricing.... otherwise Enjoy!

rbaker Show all reviews

Velvet Wood by Dolce & Gabbana

A woody opening notes that fairly soon morphs into a leather accord. Initially a restrained benzoin is evident, but here it is mercifully restricted to merely accompanying role.

This leather is smooth, new, soft with minimal tannin present. Unlike many other leather fragrances, I do get neither any smokiness nor any incense here; just leather. In the base the background woodsiness remains, together with a soft and generic patchouli impression.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

A soft autumn leather scent for warmer days that is a bit too generic to entice, but overall is not bad as a gentle leather composition. 2.75/5

Oud Luban by Aftelier

No orange here. My sense goes directly to the Resins.
Particularly the Choya ral topped with Frankincense. At first this may seem rather linear, however my masculine sensors pick up layers of Varnishes and Turpentines and Oils.
I would say this is a fragrance most suited for the Masculine much in the same vein as Heeley's Phoenicia.
Hummmm.

Secret Garden by Aftelier

Raspberry and Citrus, lightly seasoned with sugars of the Rose. This stage reminds me of the fuzzy blue aura that exists above the dusty surface of a Raspberry.
Jasmine interweaves with Patchouli and Civet to form an incense accord that exists in aha! Bogart Furyo. This perfume is based with Benzoin Vanilla, which for me creates a golden sweetness ala Chanel's Coromandel.
Takes me back, long ago. The scent of my first girl's room, in old apartments,incense, slightly masking the Ganja from the night before. I'm sitting drinking Herbal tea.
She is standing, before the kitchen window, sun shining through her long Linen dress, revealing the shape shadow of her young body.
I am in Love, in my Secret Garden.

Fume by Hendley Perfumes

Awful. Smells like an old coat in a thrift store covered with a stale mediocre fragrance. I wrapped it carefully, so it wouldn't stink up my garbage can, & discarded it.

Mandala by Masque

Genre: Woody Oriental

For all its complicated pyramid, Mandala reads to me mostly as a straight-up frankincense composition. Its dry, craggy incense note is treated in high relief and juxtaposed with nutmeg in a manner that is suggestive of black peppercorns, though pepper is one thing I do not see listed in the published pyramid. However, if peppery incense has you imagining a Comme des Garçons Black clone, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Mandala is far less smoky than CdG Black, and lacks the older scent’s complexity and nuance. To my nose, Mandala is much more of a plain brown wrapper frankincense, more along the lines of Avignon among the CdG lineup, if considerably more harsh and jagged-edged in olfactory texture.

As Mandala develops, the dry frankincense gradually gives way to sweeter cinnamon and cloves, and there is more interest for me in this transition than in the more conventionally liturgical earlier phase. It is here, in the juxtaposition of incense and spices that the Indian connotations of the name are conjured. It is also here that Mandala channels to a degree another in the Comme des Garçons Incense Series – this time the lovely Jaisalmer, which blends incense with dried fruit and sweet spice notes. Mandala never seems to me to live up to the complexity promised by its published pyramid, but it is a perfectly pleasant, if not terribly distinguished, incense fragrance. I’m only disappointed in it insofar as Masque Milano has set itself a high bar with much more interesting and original previous releases like Montecristo, Russian Tea, and Romanza. In such fine company, Mandala can’t help feeling like an anticlimax.

Times Square by Masque

Genre: Woods

Times Square launches on a fruity accord so overripe that it could accurately be described as “garbagy.” It took forbearance on my part not to scrub the fragrance off and wait to see where it would go. As the intense decaying fruit settles down I detect the unmistakable apricots-and-blossoms note of osmanthus. Over the course of an hour’s wear, Times Square evolves into a bright osmanthus and tuberose accord over a smoky-woody foundation. It’s a bit as if somebody took the osmanthus and tea of Jean-Claude Elléna’s Osmanthe Yunnan and lit them up in neon. Not inappropriate, I suppose, for a fragrance called “Times Square.”

The question is whether an arrangement originally designed to read as subtly sophisticated can work when transmogrified into something loud and garish. I’m not certain that I’m convinced. Loud osmanthus persistently strikes my nose as an olfactory oxymoron, and I can’t decide whether it’s clever, or just annoying. Then problem, I think, is that Times Square’s structure skates perilously close to the banal fruity floral style associated with perfumes for adolescent girls.

Happily, Times Square calms down considerably in its second hour, transitioning into more of a sweetened woody mode that, while far less provocative, is arguably also far more wearable. At this point, Times Square hangs in the balance. I could go on and develop into something interesting, pitting the remains of its outrageous fruity floral accord against its woody base notes, or it could just fade to gray. Sadly, it just fades to gray. What remains of Times Square after three or four hours is a very muted mélange of sweetened woods. True, it escapes the brashness of its opening gestures, but it also lacks any particular interest.

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

One of the top choices along with Odori Tobacco for a tobacco focused fragrance. I detect a bit of powder, semi sweet , moist cigar tobacco with no other main notes (Musk, Fruit, Liquor) to distract from this lovely scent. This is much more wearable than TF Tobacco Oud and not as linear a fragrance I have sadly finished my decant and I will probably purchase a full bottle of this.

Moment Suprême by Jean Patou

Stardate 20170822:

I find it dated. A familiar smell used in many personal care products that my grandmother used.
I agree with le mouchoir de monsieur - "This scent is gone, and will never return. If it did, nobody would get it"

Old Spice copied Moment Supreme, shifting the focus away from florals towards spices. And old spice gave birth to million others. From that perspective Moment Supreme is a masterpiece.
I doubt it would sell well if it was reintroduced.

Woto by Deviline

Stardate 20170822:

Another good one of the days past. There is moss, SW, powder,spices,musk. The style is similar to Pierre Cardin PM (especially later phases). Chanel PM Concentree, Bois de Portugal also have the similar drydown.

Woto is hard to find so get Pierre Cardin PM vintage and you should be 70% happy :)
rbaker Show all reviews

Eau de 34 by Diptyque

The opening phase is a delight. I get a lot of lemon, grapefruit and verbena. This is mixed with lavender and juniper, resulting in the citrus notes being softened and warmer; this is not so much of a zesty summer cologne but more of a bright and warm set of opening notes that is executed very well.

The drydown develops a nice geranium, whilst the citrus too notes linger for longer, blending in well with the floral components. There a whiffs of birch leaves present, but only very weakly so and quite unconvincing.

The base turns woodsy, which is represented by a discreet cedar impression. This is a soft cedar without much of a pencil-shavings component on my skin. A gentle spiciness, thanks to some - rather unexciting - patchouli, with a touch of labdanum give the final stages additional depth.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and seven hours of longevity; with the last couple of hours being very close to my skin.

A very nice summery opening with a good drydown, with some notes that a on the flat and weaker side, whilst the core components are well-made. 3.25/5.

Calvin by Calvin Klein

The original formulation of Calvin was prescient, predictive of many seminal riffs one would see down the line, through Drakkar Noir and numerous spicy fougeres later on. Calvin's main problem was it was too strong; it took a serious effort to spray on as little as possible. A full spritz was noxious, but just the right amount was a wonderfully zippy bergamot, yet coriander-like, musky idiosyncrasy.

cK2 by Calvin Klein

There is minimal and there is simplistic.

Calvin Klein has been known for their accomplishments in the realm of haute minimalism.

But cK2 is truly an accomplishment in the realm of simplistic.

Siberian Musk by Areej le Doré

Gratitude.

I can't remember the last time a fragrance made me feel grateful but that's exactly how I feel every time I catch a whiff of Siberian Musk. Grateful that I managed to snag a bottle for the privilege to wear it a little less sparringly. Grateful to fellow perfume-lovers Starblind and ClaireV for bringing it to my attention. Grateful to Russian Adam for pulling all the stops to bring us this scintillating gem.

Siberian Musk opens somewhat conventionally with a limey cocktail of juicy citruses cut by a shot of smoky pine. The musk arrives shortly with its entourage and as it takes centrestage, no doubt remains as to who the superstar of the show really is.

It seems Russian Adam have taken a lighthanded approach in crafting Siberian Musk. The featured deer musk is surprisingly nowhere near as animalic as I initially expected; it smells more like the fur of a ragdoll basking in the sun after a bath. If you're big into skanky or fiercely animalic musks this could potentially be a major source of disappointment. But not for me, thankfully, though it is hard to adequately describe a scent that moves me on such a visceral level.

Some lucky owners claim they get insane longevity with Siberian Musk but on my skin and in this humidity I only get 6-8 hours on average, the musk weaving in and out leaving traces of foliage and orange blossoms for the first 3-4 hours before petering out to a faintly mossy-herbal chypre-like drydown. But you won't hear me complaining. Get some on my clothes and I stay in business for a good 24, at least.

If I may borrow an analogy, think of the finest green chypre you have ever known and layer it over the plushest most comforting natural musk you can imagine. That is the essence of Siberian Musk. Wearing 4-5 full sprays provides an unforgettable experience akin to luxuriating in the warm embrace of the softest most magnificent sable cloaks still redolent of a classic chypre worn the day before (at the Tsar's coronation, I might add).

For me Siberian Musk is one of those rare fragrances that illustrate why great fragrances are worn rather than simply applied on. This is the fragrance Roja Dove would probably kill to have in his line up. Exclusive to Harrod's, of course and priced upwards of $5,000 a bottle. Sorry, Monsieur Roja, all 100 bottles were already sold out. And the queue for version 2.0 seems to be getting longer by the day.

2017 may not be over yet but a few of us already know what the best fragrance find of the year is going to be.
21st August, 2017 (last edited: 23rd August, 2017)

Siberian Musk by Areej le Doré

I am a little intimidated writing a review for a fragrance which has a tribe of such enthusiastically vocal and raging fans. See: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439956-Areej-le-Doré-The-Official-Discussion-Thread, and Claire's review at: http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2017/05/13/areej-le-dore-translating-attar-perfumery-into-extrait-form/. Much has been written on this fragrance as well as the other Areej le Dore perfumes and heaps of praise have been laid at the doorstep of this artisanal perfumer. Rightly so! I am a fan, a big fan, however; I write these words cautiously because I am sure I will offend others who are even bigger supporters of Russian Adam and Areej le Dore and there are opinions that vary on his work which is as it should be for any bold artistic statement.

The perfumer who is Areej le Dore's creator goes under the artist working name, Russian Adam, and he has an extensive history in distilling oud oils under the brand name Feel Oud, and for other brands as well located in various southeast asian oud of origin countries and also uses unique techniques and home assembled formulas for making hydrosols or infusions and distillations from natural perfumery products to use in the final blending and creation of his perfumes. Due to this individualistic process there is much variability and the perfumes have a very high artisanal value and batch variations are a fact of the process. So, a bottle of Siberian Musk obtained before or after mine, might be more, or less floral, stronger or not so in deer musk, or heavier in amber base note or some combination of these variables. My review is based upon the bottles I have purchased directly from the maker and from reading other reviews I am sure that there may be variations from bottle to bottle.

Siberian Musk appears to be assembled from the finest natural materials and some are very difficult to locate primary ingredients. The quality of the materials shines brightly. The top notes are a delicate but very high pitched citrus lime and mandarin juicy sweet but tart elevated green notes which have a noticeable pinene background. This very high pitched, light citrus descends through a multicolored swirl of florals that display a flourish of colors and are identifiable as the mercurial dancing floral aroma of deer musk infused with orange blossom. This is a floral crescendo of exotic deer musk aroma that moves from crisp limes and mandarin tartness through orange blossom, anchored by earthy green pine resins, galbanum and vetiver. There is a green tone to the floral character of this musk fragrance but the blending is subtle and sublime and the musk is quite light. The base has a very soft use of amber and other wood notes for grounding but is hardly noticeable as woods or anything other than a point of punctuation. The overall aroma of Siberian Musk is incredibly light but very active floral musk with green notes that reach upward through flourishes of orange blossom and deer musk creating paisley patterns of aromatic presence. There is an exuberance and intensity but it is held neatly within resinous boundaries with very little powder which is unusual for a musk scent. The presence of deer musk is very slight in the bottle I received. I have been the owner of a precious bottle of deer musk raw extraction - in years past - almost nuclear in potency musk, and I realize that the amount of musk used in this preparation is very judiciously applied, but also delicately appropriate for this scent.

Overall, Siberian Musk is a work of precise balance with an
outgoing extrovert personality but maintains a nearly weightless floral musk heart. This fragrance is not a heavy musk perfume and there are no dirty tones at all as the fragrance seems to always maintain a lighter than air attitude. Although it is unisex I can see where Siberian Musk might appeal to women more, although any man can pull this off if he is prepared to be a part of an artistic statement. Think brightly colored paisley, and pure joy!
21st August, 2017 (last edited: 22nd August, 2017)

Cool Water Wave by Davidoff

The risk is to die of boredom. This juice is tart as a blade and effective as an Axe-deodorant. Cool Water Wave is a typical straightforward (super peppery) ozonic-marine with a vibrant, tart-metallic and fizzy-spicy temperament. Opening is fresh, powerfully dry and super spicy with a central "ozonic/marine" performance provided by grapefruit, citrus, sweet spices (mostly nutmeg under my profane nose), pepper, ozonics and mineral-"frozen" aroma chemicals. Supremely "ordinary" dynamic-refreshing-salty-synthetic (citronellol, helonial, Iso E Super) accord of fizzy-floral (violet, jasmine??) grapefruit, citrus, pepper, patchouli, marine notes, woodsy musky elements, cedarwood and minty laurel. Sporty, grapefruit-centered, synthetic, fizzy, conventional. Tons of easy-going marine "waters" jump on mind, waving from Paco Rabanne Invictus to Bond I Love New York for Fathers, passing through Nautica Voyage, Azzaro Chrome and Lanvin Pour Homme. We are far from the classic "ambergris-like" (and woody-herbal) original Cool Water's distinguished dry down. The base smells really overly synthetic (and really really pungent/peppery, pungent deodorant like, gasseous and fizzy-tart- vaguely cedary) under my gothic nose of the hills. Frankly boring as a summer camp at lakes with puritan parents.
21st August, 2017 (last edited: 22nd August, 2017)

Neroli Ad Astra by Parfumerie Generale

Genre: Citrus

I don’t have a lot to say about this one, as I found it disappointing coming from Pierre Guillaume, a nose whose work I often enjoy. To me Neroli ad Astra seems to be a one-dimensional soapy neroli composition, without the finesse that marks the best of this breed – say Czech & Speake Neroli. For all I know, some fine materials may have gone into this, but the neroli note is so harsh as to smell chemical, and it is not helped by a detergent-like white musk drydown. If you like your neroli unadorned and smelling strongly of soap, this may be for you. Otherwise, I’d say stay away.

As a footnote, this bears no discernable resemblance to the indolic white floral Louanges Profanes, with which it inexplicably shares a series number.

Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

MFK is a house I really like, having sampled then purchased Lumiere and Pluriel, Universalis however I'm going to pass on. Not that it's a bad fragrance, it's just too much of white flowers and rose for my nose and gives me a sound headache. To me, there's very little citrus going on in this one, and the base is decidedly more musk than wood. Thirty minutes in and it's a feminine bath powder. Not my style. Neutral.

Oud Zen by Areej le Doré

Oud Zen is a smokey woods fragrance that is raw and resinous at opening and very spicy with a sandpaper textured saffron attar that takes complete control of the woods aroma and is aggressive in its boldness. As the fragrance evolves, subtleties of sandalwood and slight hints of agarwood emerge softening and carving down the hard edges of the dangerous smoked wild side of this resinous wood. Castoreum more than Civet (don't smell civet) adds a salty dryness to the base and so the woods receive a sueded leathery surface, but still it is all wood here. After hours on skin the resins of the woods loose their pinene character and become more a soft easy Indian oudh still with strong mixed wood and light sandalwood character. When I think of Zen I envision a gentle surrendered, "no mind" or zen mind quality, peaceful gardens; but I really don't see those qualities in this perfume so I object to the name a bit. Oud Zen reminds me more of an out of control jaunt careening down a wild mountain forest pathway threatening disaster at every turn but slowly leveling out onto a dry dusty plane. The zen outcome of this rough ride signals good fortune awaiting the wearer of Oud Zen.

Trussardi Uomo (original) by Trussardi

Some word association with Trussardi Uomo: bold, dirty, raunchy, and sex.

This is definitely an '80s fragrance and if you're a younger guy, you run the risk of drawing too much attention to yourself. There's a lot of testosterone behind this fragrance, so if you're even a little self-conscious, you're going to come across like a try hard. This cologne is probably safer for the 40+ crowd. However, it's far from an "old man" fragrance. It's not like Brut, Grey Flannel, or even Kouros. Trussardi Uomo reeks of virility.

The spray goes on thick, and you'll either be a Don Juan or a Disco Stu. As the top notes fade, the raunchiness kicks in. Then it gets a little dirty about an hour or two in. For me this is a bit of a rough patch, and it begins to remind of current Polo green's dry down, or even Preferred Stock's. This is when the dirtiness becomes most pronounced, but unlike the other colognes I mentioned, there's other pleasant notes to keep things afloat. When it gets to it's final dry down stage the dirtiness leaves and you're rewarded with this this really smooth-yet-strong, sexy scent.
This is probably one of thee best final dry down stages I've yet to experience in a men's fragrance. It even smells more refreshing than its top notes, when usually the reverse is true.
I've been wearing this now for 9 hours now and I can still smell it on my wrist and it's great!

This is a classic, and an '80s masterpiece. But remember, there's no middle ground wearing this. You either succeed or fail with it.

Versace l'Homme by Versace

I have about 20-25 colognes; mostly old school power houses like Kouros, Givency Gentleman (1978), Dunhill for men (1934), Lauder for men (1984), but this one always ranks on top of my list.
Brings back wonderful memories of the late 1980's.
I'm buying this since 2001 and do feel it changed a little from time to time but I could be wrong. There very well COULD have been 3 formulations but I'm not sure. I recently bought an old school bottle but it probably had gone bad since it lacked a lot of notes, so I'm not sure. I talked to a longtime perfume shop owner who was pretty certain it did not change. Could be explained by the fact that 'l Homme seems to smell totally different (and better) in warmer climates. At home (in Holland) I mostly get a sharp opening and the character only comes to play after a few hours (and not on the skin, but clothing only) That character is the true warm, deep, classic Italian macho feel that makes this fragrance so great! When on holiday in a warmer climate I immediately smell that warm heart, so I think warmer days work best with this one.
Projection differs from bottle to bottle. Had a 'shop bought' bottle that had poor projection, Now have a new one bought online which has incredible projection for a least 8-12 hours. Would love to hear from long time users; did it change? Nonetheless I'm very very happy they still make this Classic Conundrum.

Fathom V by Beaufort London

The storm by edvard munch 1893

Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré

There are lots of notes listed and Ottoman Empire is different almost every time I wear it so there is an unsettling feel about it for me. But I I think it is important to faithfully describe what I smell to give some guidance for others who may be considering purchasing a sample or bottle. As with most artisanal perfumes there are batch variations so I advise sampling before buying.

Ottoman Empire comes down to three basic movements or essential activities that interplay within the scent in a separate but equal way. These are: (1) Rose essence, (2) Saffron attar, (3) Amber/Oud/Myrrh. I combine amber, oud and myrrh because the amber base described as "Crude Amber Resin" to my nose gathers all of the similar qualities of oud, myrrh and dark amber notes unto itself into a thicket of chunky, densely compact amber woods. This Amber base is such a prominent part of the scent that it becomes the essential character of Ottoman Empire, at least to me. I smell the rose at the opening but to smell it after that you must pull back some distance because the rose is so light and ethereal, even though quite beautiful, it is separated from the central theme of the scent like a auric cloud resting gently above the physicality of Ottoman Empire which does battle on firm ground below. Perhaps the rose needs more of a bridge to the saffron attar or amber? The myrrh infused amber has a slight but noticeable oud component and as I described above feels like a thicket of dense brown amber/myrrh/oud.

Then there is the saffron attar. Shooting through the brown thicket of amber darkness are shocks of bright saffron attar. The saffron as an attar is already assembled tightly and strongly bound to other attar ingredients of sandalwood, patchouli, some florals - jasmine, etc.? and stays within its saffron attar identity. This is a good thing as it makes a bold statement and I really like saffron attar. The saffron does not blend with the rose into a rose/saffron like so many saffron rose perfumes accomplish, and while that is a nice note combination, the saffron here retains a saffron attar sharpness and shoots through the density of the amber body of the fragrance with distinct saffron attar precision. It is almost as if thee perfume is an emulsion of parts rather than a blend of notes.

In short this is a 3 part fragrance of (1) amber/myrrh/oud dense resinous mass, along with (2) golden shocks of saffron evenly dispersed throughout, (3) covered in a halo of radiating rose which after the opening does get lost in the outer orbital layer. The three elements keep their separateness allowing the wearer to occasionally find bits of each but maintain their unity through a quantum attraction of sorts. I like Ottoman Empire, but there is something in the fragrance that is awaiting resolution and this keeps me from giving it top marks. It is in the 7 of 10 star category by my taste. I greatly enjoy rose essence, and saffron attar is a favorite, but the amber base is too dense for my taste. The parts do not merge or bridge very well to each other. Overall the perfume is quite an accomplishment and I do like it but it feels like a work in progress to me.

V/S for Men by Versace

A scent that's not for everyone hence the rather lukewarm reviews. I stumbled upon a tester bottle of this at a discount store that was having a closing down sale. I blind bought it for next to nothing for two reasons. 1) I generally love the Versace scents especially during the Gianni era (The Jeans Line, Dreamer, Versace Man, etc.) and it's created by one of my favourite perfumers, Mark Buxton.

If you love that transparent, heavily synthetic, and contemporary style Mark is know for with his Comme des Garcons creations - you'll most likely enjoy this.

I find it heavily resembles the aesthetic Mark went for when he created CdG 3. "What would a flower that didn't exist smell like?" It's sort of an abstraction of fresh and floral notes that are heavily synthetic. It almost also smells a little fizzy like soda pop.

Avant-grade and the fact that the diagonal spray mechanism was faulty, it left stores as soon as it arrived.

Sunrise Vetiver by Franck Olivier

A little citrus up front but this is mostly a very linear, clean and light vetiver scent that's easy to wear and should work well in warmer weather. There are some faint woody notes as well but it's mostly clean/green vetiver.

Performance is okay, projection is average but you can smell it if you try.

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain

Yowch. I mean, it's respectably good for what it is. But what it is is a Guerlain take on a sports fragrance. Something not quite right here... but as the other reviews have noted, it's likeable enough and if you compete with your friends in sports scents, then this is pretty much top trumps.

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

I'm quite nonplussed by this. Why you would want to make a cologne strength version of the almond and pastry-rich Homme Ideal is beyond me. The result is non-committal and just plain confusing.

Acqua Essenziale Blu by Salvatore Ferragamo

Acqua Essenziale Blu is a fresh start to a brand new day. I wear it every time I need a pick me up. The lavender is soothing and uplifting with the citrus notes mixed in. Nice summer/spring fragrance. It is perfect for the office or a casual night out.