Fragrance Reviews from June 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Friktion for Men by Avon

Not bad, not bad at all- tough a bit too sweet for my personal taste, it is a good quality and less conventional youth-oriented casual scent. Partly, i find it better than most Bosses, Emporios and Davidoffs for the same target, age group and dress code, tough financially speaking for much less. More, unlike many of these scents, it has an extra touch of
    non-synthetic aromatics with a more manly, artistic and exotic touch. Somewhere in between the low- cost
    ( but often high-quality) Orientals by the Body Shop, chiefly Javari and all these iconic french Gourmand Orientals by Thierry mugler, Guerlain, YSL, Cartier, JPG that continuosly fascinate experienced and high standard perfume lovers. Inspite of the name, the commercial, the affordable price, it is only marginally triggered at energetic, easygoing, low-maintenance and horny young people, as it has a more outlandish, bohemian, dandyfied, conoisseur and mysterious twist. Not my favourite, but pretty close to being so.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent has not aged a bit- so different from today's genderless wuss-waters. Compared to Pour Monsieur, i even like it more than the also outstanding Chanel creation, i percieve this one simpler, a bit more crisp and zesty, but also belongiong into the same league: understated gentlemanly distinction at its best. It also has that soapy sensation later to be found in Rive Gauche, but unlike in the latter YSL scent the citrus note is more puristic, bettwer defined and less mellow, plus something of the Rive Gauche creamy, cool and slightly smoky drydown is also present. The difference to Rive Gauche is, while it retains the " fine shaving cream " -note, this one is more focused on citrus in more upfront embodiement, rather than the properties of a grooming product, the ones of this appearantly unspectacular ingredients are perecetible in an infinite number of variations and associations
    ( citrus can be fresh, juicy, relaxing, antiseptic, even sometimes provocative, both youthful and mature, both spontaneous and refined...). And just like other reviewers correctly noticed, it really has very little 70's style in it, as in my opinion it could easily pass for a ( multi-) secular citrus creation of traditional status as good as for a 80's scent, howvever not the hyper-macho scents, but the sober, puristic and straightforward achievements of that age.

knightowl's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Not much to add here except that i hated this with a passion some years ago, now i love it to death...thanks to a more "mature" sense of smell i guess. LOL.

knightowl's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

I'm on my second bottle of Bogart Pour Homme, and that's saying a lot considering i own a collection of at least 50 fragrances. So well constructed...so many layers...so smooth and long-lasting.
    Yup, i can see myself going for a third bottle...and a fourth...and a fifth...

Quarry's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Catholic Church on a Friday night when the Germans serve lemons and vinegared cole slaw with the fish fry. No fishy smell, but the acid and citrus with slight sweetness and herbs so puts me in this particular situation that I can't even bring myself to wear what (only to me) has such a foody association. No one else will make this connection, I'm sure, but there you have it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Cool, like seaspray! Notes of ginger, rum and lime open this refresher. Almost immediately, heart notes of incense and star anise burst forth. I personally LOVE anise notes in perfumes and this one reminds me of Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella, only Navegar's anise is a bit more tempered. Quietly, the incense/spice mellow. Cedarwood and Juniper anchor Navegar's cool freshness. For me, the cedarwood does'nt come off warm at all, in fact, it smells as if a saw has just ripped through a cedar timber - kind of moist. It's the incense that carries a certain dry aspect. What a fabulous balancing act! My only complaint - yep, you guessed it - poor to moderate longevity/sillage. It's not the most fleeting L'artisan I've come across, but it is extremely light. Overall, I have to give this treasure a thumbs up!

ubuandibeme's avatar

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This Amber is perfect! I respect Chergui, Shalimar, Sweet Oriental Dream, Voile de Amber, and Ambre Precioux. They are each high quality compositions, but for me - this L'artisan Ambre Extreme is beyond exquisite! The powdery sweetness is finely tuned and plays off my skin like a symphony. It is neither too heavy nor too light. As for sillage & longevity I find AE to be, well, just right. You can bet I'm anxious to add this gem to my collection!

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Just as lovely as everyone says: smooth, buttery soft, dark wood with musky and spicy hints and a touch of powdery sweetness. The violet lends it a cool air, like a forest after the rain, but the scent is mostly dry like leather or black tea or perhaps coffee beans. Enchanting.

ModderRhu87's avatar

Imagine... Happiness by Bath and Body Works

I miss this...I loved it so much. It was so perfect.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

While the opening note smells a bit like bourbon, I like this scent mucho. I am a rose fanatic so anything that is pure rose usually wins with me. This is not a warm rose for all of you who prefer that type. It is a full bodied rose scent and very much reminds me of Perfumer's Workshop's Tea Rose. It dries down very nice and powdery.

Maybe Baby by Benefit

This is an absolutely lovely fragrance. It is warm and peachy, soft and inviting. Nice during the day or night, city or shore. It was created because there was so much consumer demand for the scent from Benefit's "Touch Me then Try to Leave Me" body cream that they went ahead and created a perfume of it. There is a nice freshness to it, too. I love it. It's a great summer scent.

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very sweet. Has kind of a sparkling quality to it, like a fruity soda pop. Maybe like those fizz candies. Or Violets candy/gum. It is very much a young scent, but it is also a highly retro scent. Reminds me of the little bottles of toilette water my grandmother used to have. I think they were from the Caribbean islands. At first smell I liked it, but as it lingered, I started to grow very tired of it. The rose is more apparent in the dry down and a little hard to discern. It's not a cloying scent but it borders on weird. Like you poured sticky sugary fruit punch soda on your clothes. There may be a time and place for this scent, but I think that may be between ages 8-12.

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

It's a "nice" scent. I loved the paper tester in Elle magazine, but in reality, it wasn't nearly as nice. While it has all the nice things that should make me love it, there is a quality that I'm not liking here. Someone said grape and melon and I tend to agree. Add oriental spice, and you would think it can be something you put on and then later regret, but the dry down isn't too bad. Once you are at that point, though, it is too faint to matter.

jlros's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well well well... this scent goes through three very distinct phases and while I dislike the first two I love the third enough to outweigh the first two. I would go further and say while they drydown takes a long time the fragrance, in its final form, is VERY long lasting.

I would describe the first stage as smelling like both the origins of perfumes and the reasons for them in the first place. It smells like the body odour and the floral you would imagine used in the days of Napolean used to cover it up. Either that or like a bad perfume being used to cover up the smell of a NY taxidriver from a certain region of the world in the summer.

The second stage becomes sweeter, perhaps so much so that as a man who likes earthy, citrus and some orintals it is too sweet. During this phase the B.O. note recedes but is still there and strong when taking a deep whiff.

The third stage, ah the third stage. I am partial to fragrances, on me, that smell human. That is to say not too obvious, out front or sweet. I think a frag should be a natural outgrowth of the wearer and not a cover or shield of the wearer. I guess that is why I am a great fan of more earthy and organic smells like MPG RDV and even the subtle cologne mure de musc. Here is where the brilliance of the Lutens shines in this particular scent. Yes, it starts off animalic, becomes animalic and floral but it ends up smelling like human intimacy. I do not mean sex, do not think fecal, think sweat may be closer but not that either. To me it smells closer to the smell of slept on pillows, of human closeness, of really close contact with another. It is warm, evocative and very slightly sweet and thankfully, in this stage, it is very long lasting.

If this third stage sounds good, I would apply an hour before going out in public and would avoid spraying it on clothes as it wll not drydown to the third stage in the 'right' way. It is a brilliantly designed fragrance, the design was clearly about this third stage, do not discount the smell until you live this stage.

odysseusm's avatar

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Top: lemon, mint, lavender
    Mid: celery seeds, myrtle, fir
    Base: vetiver, musk, sandalwood.
    Grain de Plaisir is really interesting, in my opinion much better and more successful than its sibling Baïme. Both are herbal scents, but in Baïme the thyme dominates, is linear and not particularly attractive in and of itself. Here, the celery seed is surprisingly subtle, mysterious, and blends well with the other ingredients. A lemony-lavender opening quickly is augmented by complex herbal notes. They are dry, aromatic, and slightly dusky. There is a hint of celery, but it is mild and nutty, more like celery heart than strong bitter old outer stalks. Myrtle gives green aspects, and there is the hint of something coniferous. Later, vetiver emerges with grassy dusky elements. There is also a nice mild wood tone of sandalwood. This is a DRY scent, no florals here at all. The amber is used well, to give a resinous rather than a rich or sweet tone. GdP is dry... but not bitter! I don’t find it challenging at all, I like such dry and aromatic scents. Admittedly, this is not what everyone is wearing. It is distinctive, an outdoorsy scent that works well indoors because of its subtlety and freshness. Very good!

odysseusm's avatar

Jil Sander Man Pure (original) by Jil Sander

Top: lemon, basil, clary sage, origanum
    Mid: carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, geranium
    Base: Castoreum, oakmoss, labdanum, musk
    It took a lot of sleuthing but I found the components of Jil Sander Man Pure (ORIGINAL), a discontinued treasure. A friend wise in the ways of scents suggested it to me. I’m grateful, because this is outstanding! I’ve not found anything quite like it. At times, its rich beauty suggests Worth pour Homme; at other times its elegant note of leather reminds me of Equipage. However, this stands on its own. It has an ethereal loveliness that is easy to appreciate but hard to describe. I’ll try, but words fail to fully capture its appeal. JSMP has an opening that is rich and yet brisk. Herbal and floral notes quickly emerge. When done well, as it is here, clary sage is a complex element that can evoke amber, neroli, lavender, muscatel grapes, light vanilla, and balsamic resin. Origanum lends herbal notes like thyme or marjoram. This is well-designed: it is sweet yet dry, substantial yet light. Despite its richness it has a cool, clear aspect. It is old-school in its mossy tones, beauty, and substance. This is a great chypre, it is lovelier and less grassy than many. I recommend this one highly, it is worth hunting for!

fusion's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I really tried liking this one but not for me, it really smelled like pencil shavings at first after a while the strong woody opening calms down and it becomes much better. I wont say I hate it but I will almost never wear it so I give a neutral rating.

01st June, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2008)

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Nothing special, poor longevity, uninspiring, and unremarkable. Nothing new here to discover but not unpleasant.

GeorgeBernard's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

This smells like sweetened pipe tobacco. Not a bad smell, but when you use this fragrance you'll smell like you spent all day at the tobacconist. Nobody wants that, I guess. Therefore, thumbs down.

fox_mulder's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

One of the best value fragrances money can buy. Completely refined.

sparkleplenty's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

wow! this is truly a FRESH frag! On me: peppery,juniper-y with a kick of berry & tea...I find it enchanting!

For a whiff of floral I combined w/ a daub of Mitsouko edp----nice.

Jasmal by Creed

I love, love, love this. I wish is stayed with me longer though. It is definitely worth re-applying during the day. I love the somewhat smokey scent of this even if brief.

Vanisia by Creed

I like Vanisia a lot after it's on a while. Very sweet and old fashioned on me at first...but then it gets very sultry and sexy. Good tillage too, enough to make a statement. I am glad I bought it blind simpy because I liked the descriptions I found on various webpages and the name. Definitaely a fragrance for women and not little girls though. You probably have to remember perfumes from the 50's and 60's to love this one :)

Love In White by Creed

I absolutely love this fragrance. I can't get enough of it and will keep my wrist close to my nose all day if I am not careful. Beautiful! The white flowers here are so ravishingly lovely...seems like flowers just a day away from falling petals...heady

Original Santal by Creed

I too love this scent. I have a large bottle on my dresser for everyday wear. I did take advice from missaldaco and mix with "love in white:...great together! More women should wear this one. I get compliments all the time from my girlfriends and women colleagues on OS. I love the cinnamon opener

starbug's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells like my Doctors surgery waiting room. I do not rate this very highly.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

I actually quite like this. It has a very nice warm and "round" mood to it. For me, the longevity and sillage are quite strong. I would, however, agree that the scent is somewhat synthetic and definitely somewhat linear. I also don't think it's strictly limited to a young crowd.. it has some qualities that show some maturity.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

It's a crisp, green scent with a peppery/woody bite to it. It seems very light with just enough spice and point to balance the lighter notes. It is still somewhat thin, but very nice for daytime wear.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I really love this.. it's so unique and completely addicting. The initial blast of coconut is really quite pleasant and fades quickly into a welcoming, sweet scent that you almost can't get enough of. It's extremely subtle and you almost can't spray too much... which you'll have to do as it dries down to a very quiet smell.

I thought the longevity was a big problem at first, however, the other day I picked up a shirt that I was wearing two days prior the soft Virgin Island Water smell was still present and really quite pleasant.

I think this fragrance is great for casual environments and does a great job of scenting the person wearing it, not the area around the wearer.

jdnba's avatar

Limes by Floris

terrrrible. do not waste your time...try truefitt and hill or trumper instead.