Fragrance Reviews from June 2007

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

The best oriental? It's quite possible, at least of those i've tried... I was lucky enough to pick up a bottle of the EDP and without doubt it's one of the greatest fragrances I own. With the exception of Heritage by Guerlain this may be the best use of vanilla I have yet encountered. Lasts forever and sillage is good, but controlled.

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

If as some sort of bizarre experiment I had all of my skin replaced with Trussardi leather and then was made to live with a pride of lions for a year whilst chain smoking, this, I think, is what I would smell like.

I love this fragrance, it is unapologetically masculine in every way.

Ezra Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

Pretty bad fragrance, but you'll never know because it has zero sillage and lasts less than one second on the skin. This is up there with Hugo Dark Blue as the worst fragrance I have ever purchased.

sparkleplenty's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

My absolute favorite fragrance, smelly dolly captured its sense very well; on me it dries quickly to a softly leathery-gentle floral with a peachy-woody-mossy undertone---I keep reapplying it as it is so intriguing to my nose. If it was a man, I'd marry it.

Sudsy's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

What attracted me first?
    I will have to here confess my weakness for glass objets d’art, and Coco Mlle drew me in with this initial feminine wile. The delicate colour of the juice, in the stunningly simple lines of its charming glass container, also beckoned me. Just one little spritz; oh my...I was being drawn further astray, and then as the dry down commenced... well, I was well & truly trapped.
    I simply adore this perfume, every bit of it, every aspect, just the whole THING!
    My gentle (well I thought it was gentle) hints to my dearly beloved husband paid off when he presented me with a beautifully wrapped little box on my birthday. This, of course, makes Coco Mlle even more special.
    It is my SPECIAL OCCASION perfume now, but some days I just can't resist spritzing for the "feel good" it gives me.
    Sparkling, lively top notes of orange & bergamot, followed by clear pure middle notes with accords of jasmine petals & morning rose. Finally, clean notes of patchouli & vetiver express a discreet sensuality. The whole package, a true pleasure!!

Sudsy's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Gentiana by Guerlain

Today the postman delivered a lovely gentian blue Guerlain coffret from the UK. The main fragrance of 3 is AA Gentiana.
    I am so pleased with it!! It is a fresh citrus & floral, delightful everyday scent but with something deeper as it blends with my skin. The start is a strong grapefruit/orange note but then warms into a very unique gentian/lime powdered musk scent. More long lasting than Pamplelune.
    Sad indeed that it is discontinued...will have to spritz with reserve!! :-(

odysseusm's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Top: orange, grapefruit, pepper, spices
    Mid: cedar, vetiver, flint
    Base: resins, benzoin
    This is a delightful scent, I have done a 180 and have completely revised my previous review. this has a lovely citrus start which is very attractive and refreshing. It settles into bright spice and a marvelous dry-stone note which I find very compelling. It is like the terra-cotta note in Eau D’Italie. The scent is exceptionally dry, minimalist, even austere at this point – yet I throughly enjoy it. I don’t get any pronounced wood notes. The dry-down is a bright grassy vetiver with a hint of incense. Dry, translucent, bright... definitely in the J-C Ellena style.

25th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 24th February, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

I started liking Eau des Baux but in the end can give it only a neutral rating. The vanilla basenote spoiled the smoky wood and incense which I had been enjoying. The opening looks interesting on paper but I couldn’t detect it. The mid took over right away. And what a middle –hauntingly evocative wood and incense. Mysterious, romantic. The wood is really well done: smoky, dry, resinous. The incense gives a rich and substantial quality. So far, I’m thinking that this is an amazing scent, and such good value. Then the vanilla kicks in and becomes quite strong and sweet. I just don’t like that sort of ending. I find it cloying. So the thumb goes sideways, sadly.
    I'll do an update on the above. In some ways I'm now more forgiving but in other ways less interested. Basically, this is a somewhat sweet, vanilla-tinged woody scent. The wood seems like cedar or even sandalwood rather than cypress. The scent isn't heavy, just a bit sweet. It is isn't dominated by vanilla, but vanilla is there. The scent no longer seems so complex to me as it did in my earlier review. Thus, my rating stays at neutral. But I am sure that many guys would like this and it would suit them.

25th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2012)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Vetiver is one of my favorite essential oils and I like this composition of vetiver and other greens - although it took me a while to accept it. It's not a fragrance for everyone. In fact, I would guess most people will not warm up to this "French Lover" at all.

French Lover is a cold and earthy fragrance that smells like a chunk of deep forest earth was pulled out of the ground with mossy edges and roots hanging. The scent is earthy, damp and humorless but it does have a note of mystery about it. The vetiver heart of this scent is kept green, watery and deep by the angelica and frankincense notes. Cedar wood lifts up the earthiness and adds an ethereal deep background. I like the smell of it, but there is a grim earthy reality about this that is hard to wear everyday.

I don't understand the name "French Lover" at all. A french fragrance house selects an english spelling, "French Lover", for a fragrance that is clearly not about love or romance at all. This fragrance is all about earthy realism. Is the name ironic? The significance of the title eludes me, but, I do enjoy the fragrance.

chaelaran1008's avatar

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

I really want to love this fragrance but it infuriates me that my skin chemistry causes Teint De Neige to alternate between the most beautifully scented clouds of almond/vanilla powder and a strange medicinal 'ointment' smell which is pungent and repugnant to my nose. This
    medicinal aroma is a real gremlin, weaving in and out of Teint De Neige and rendering it unwearable for me. This perfume must be amazing on those lucky people who can wear it well but I have to rate it neutral, although you never know, maybe my skin will let me wear this sometime in the future.

chaelaran1008's avatar

Songes by Annick Goutal

Ah, Songes, this is a fragrance which I bought without testing on my skin first, much to my regret. I gave it a fair try but just couldn't get along with the frangipani which for me is so strong in Songes that I could barely detect any other notes. In the end I swapped it for Bellodgia which is much more pleasing to my nose. A beautiful fragrance for lovers of frangipani but not for me.

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

One O One for Men by Giorgio Valenti

This is a pleasant fruity scent. Although it smells a bit synthetic, it's very nice and modern. You can wear it to work or on a date. Girls will dig it. I have 3 sample vials and looking to buy a 100-ml bottle but it seems so hard to find.

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

Tried it a few days ago. It's a nice fresh scent, good for summer, but as the previous poster said, not original or unique. However, to me, it kinda sticks to the skin, and lasts for at least 8 hours. It really has nothing to do with the original, which I found a little similar to Givenchy Pi.

omniray's avatar

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

what happen with this guys... the new version is simply wonderful and better than the original; comfortable floral/spicy base, versatile and easy to wear. what happen ?? this is not a bad fragance ! so,. thumps up !!!

i found more Terrible and offensive that 70s-80s clasics that everybody loves....

think by yourself and test it...

oolong's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Male? Not so much to me, maybe Le Unisex would be a more descriptive name. Objectively speaking it is not a bad fragrance at all, but certainly not a definitively male fragrance as the name would suggest. Very much a product of the Metrosexual 90's.

themeglet's avatar

Ambra by Etro

Not such a bad amber; however, I wouldn't buy a bottle on the basis of "not bad." Yes, there's something ambery going on here, but something offsets its potential ambery goodness. I may be the odd one out, but I get more of a "custard" or "creme caramel" impression, with amber popping its head up here and there and there and here, without ever actually planting a flag. I would redirect amber-seekers to L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme--one of the nicest ambers I've yet sniffed. Etro's Ambra is nice enough in its opening, but quickly putters out into something less pleasant. (I should end this review now, since every passing minute increases the "meh..." on my skin. The skin of others may be less persnickety, though.)

26th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 23rd October, 2007)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I'm an amber fan, but I prefer my ambers dry and powdery like desert sand. This is more of a syrupy, resinous amber. It even reminds me of pine, pine sweetened with vanilla! Don't get me wrong, it's still an easily recognizable amber scent, it's just a certain type of amber, and not my favourite type. It feels a bit too thick and "gooey" for me, gourmandy with some rather sharp wood notes thrown in. A bit unsophisticated, to tell you the truth.

RuRu's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Magnolia Petal by Ayala Moriel

The first whiff suggested young, fashionable, popular and sweet. Like-able!
    Turned a little yeasty on my skin after a couple of minutes, not sure what that was about. It seemed to fade away very quickly too. I have very fair skin which could have caused this problem, but for the money I paid I expected it to last more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Aoud Damascus by Montale

I finally found a perfect rose for myself. I am not a rose person but Aoud Damascus have changed my opinion of all the rose scents. It started off very sharp and medicinal like the others from the Montale's aoud line. I believe zztopp and foetidus have summed up all the good points about this. It is not as sweet and powdery like the YSL's Paris nor as heady like the Bulgari's. It is sensuous rose scent with an edge. I think this is going to become a staple in my drobe.

Giò by Giorgio Armani

Not as popular as Acque di Gio, very different indeed. Very sweet, like honey, not very interesting though... .

Cabotine by Grès

This is a great "green" smell, I'm a very fond of it, has a great lasting power and isn't like anything else. I hope they keep producing it... .

Rush by Gucci

This perfume is addictive! Once used, you always want to return to it. It has an incredible lasting power and stays quite the same all the time. It doesn't fade into an ordinary vanilla smell but stays incredible good!

Rush 2 by Gucci

A very nice, light summer perfume. Doesn't look like the original Rush at all, but is a nice welcome on a warm summer day. Has a great lasting power.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

One of my first perfumes as a young(er) girl. I kind a lost the idea of wearing it years ago, but lately I'm longing to wear it again. They have this nice eau de toilette version now, without he sharper (sometimes overwhelming) side of Tresor, which is very nice on a summers day.

matreal's avatar

Cologne Sologne by Nicolaï

This is what I feel Neroli Sauvage should have smelled like. I love this. Perfect for office wear.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Good Life by Davidoff

This is one of the scents I fell in love with when it was introduced. I have since purchased 3 bottles. It is VERY fresh and bright, yet tempered with a vanilla from the opening. It STAYS fresh which is why some people can't stand it. It is great for office wear and warm weather, though I prefer to wear it on gloomy days as a constant reminder to 'stay happy'.
    All the positive reviews here are on point and very true...so read and heed!

26th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Good stuff. VERY strong, rotten orange plus bitter grapefruity plus earthiness. Some females have expresse dthe fact that it smells like 'cohones'. Well, I like it. Overapplication can and will give you a headache though.

26th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 19th October, 2007)

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

Agreed with the majority, it's a cheap smelling aqua cologne. It kind of reminds me of aqua velva and that is not a compliment.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Here is why it gets a neutral from me when I gave declaration a thumbs up...unlike my comerades...I can't tell the difference. I was disappointed in the lack of creativity in this one, maybe a subtle difference...so subtle that it hasn't hit my nose just yet. Eh, it is softer though, but the lack of creativity, what was the point?

Unforgivable by Sean John

Once again, I heard a lot of negative reviews on this from the Basenoters which generally means for me I am going to like it...well...Mr. Combs fragrance really isn't that bad. I smelled Crave before and I do not even know where that comparison comes from. I am sure it does remind someone of a Creed cologne because for most Creed fanatics, every cologne is a copy of a Creed. Regardless, I like it, the top notes isn't that great but once it dries down, definitely it was the winner out of samples that include amouage silver and terre d'hermes.