Fragrance Reviews from July 2007

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

Until I had the dessert (Banana Sheera) I couldnt' really see the connection... But even though it has a reference to food, this is neither a typical modern gourmand nor one of those excessive fruity florals. Rather, it's a classic floriental, with a ripe fruity accord (I smell mostly cooked bananas, poached bosc pears and cardamom as the top notes), and with a shamelessly indolic heart of jasmine, champaca, narcissus and ylang ylang. The base is almost like a Guerlinade, with sandalwood and vanilla in almost as high a dose as Samsara, with a soft, musky powdery amber dryout. It's a refreshing thing to see a perfume that has a classical structure, yet with some new combination of notes. Tastefully done.

Tango by Aftelier

Tango is one of my favourites from the Aftelier line. And one of the newest addition to it (it was launched this winter along with Orchid – which is my absolute favourite perfume by Mandy Aftel). Tango is a subtle and sexy perfume that leaves you with a taste for more, and is an example for the complexity and versatility of the champaca flower.

Tango starts smoky and rubbery with notes of myrrh and Choya Nakh (an essence of toasted seashells from India). Like asphalt heating in the scorching sun, it may feel overbearing but at the same time casts its magic upon the pedestrians as long as they don’t get burnt...

Than it softens into a soft, almost buttery floral perfume dominated by the rich, full-bodied and slightly fruity spiciness of red champaca and the creamy powderiness of tuberose. The dry down is complex and interesting, mostly a continuation of the tropical floral accord, but much softer, and well blended into the skin. A note of tonka bean helps balance the headiness of the florals and bring sweetness to the initial burnt impression. This olfactory dance lasts for a very long time, in a soft, muted manner –calculated like the controlled passion of the Tango steps, and never overpowering. The Tango dancer here really knows how to restrain her feelings and maintain her dignity through a brutally painful romance.

Cognac by Aftelier

This is more of an olive scent than a cognac scent. Cognac is one of the most original fragrances Mandy Aftel, who is infamous for her use of hard to find, cutting edge natural essence. Cognac uses green olive fruit absolute along with a base of the fruity green cognac absolute (from residues of grapes in the wine-making process) and refreshing citrus top notes, to create a perfume that evokes the exquisite simplicity of life along the Mediterranean.

When wearing Cognac, I am instantly reminded of the "Mesique" (AKA olive fruit harvest), the breezy autumn days, chilly in the mornings but warmer around noon, when me and my little brothers would not go to school in order to help our parents harvest the olives before the first rains spoils them. After hours of olive picking, our fingers will diffusive of green fragrant fresh olive juice. When it was time for the ten o'clock break, we'd peel the first tangerines of the season, still mostly green on the outside but already sweet in the inside... But our olive-juice-anointed fingers will turn them as bitter as bittrex!
    he texture of this fragrance, by the way, is quite oily - even though it is in an alcohol base. This must be again because of the olive fruit absolute.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A very refreshing and bracing grapefruit citrus fragrance. Opens tart and stays clean and fresh throughout its life - about 2 hours. It's great as a summer tonic but don't expect it to be there very long. The opening fresh notes do not change or progress much. After using an entire bottle I realized that other than the fresh blast at the opening, I was just kind of bored with it. A number of citrus frags are like this - sort of one note wonders - Floris Limes comes to mind as well, only in lime rather than grapefruit. For a much more interesting fragrance that opens freshly with grapefruit but progresses through very interesting and clean stages, try Live Jazz.

Équipage by Hermès

This is what a great fragrance construction is all about. Gentle movement through various stages of fragrance. There is a deep equinine feel to this warm scent. The rosewood, lilly and carnation opening smells gentle but also deeply spicy like a soft leather spice - which is the carnation and jasmine. The pine peeks through now and then as a backdrop, but is almost unnocticeable before the drydown lands in soft tonkan musk + vetiver leaf - a pillow ending . These are all very soft notes used in a masculine and warm way. Very nice fragrance. Sort of young and naive in its attitude. But, very nice.

Messe de Minuit by Etro

Vanilla and amber form the heart of this fragrance. The honey warm scent is quickened with a touch of myrrh and incense - with a light smoky musk finish. The fragrance stays warm and amberish throughout. I don't understand the dark reputation it has, but it is very deep and warm.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

This is a bracing tonic of a vetiver. Very pure, light and simple vetiver splash. Not overly sweet or extremely earthy - just pure green vetiver. It feels good on the skin to splash this juice on and all over. Has a cleansing feeling. Vettiveru comes in a huge jug of a bottle and is made to pour it out and splash - it's a weaker concentration for the purpose of dispensing liberally. The drydown is light cedar that you feel more than smell. Green. Very refreshing!

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

A beautiful fragrance, natural-smelling, fresh and floral with a sophisticated base of vetiver and sexy patchouli. It seems that most people who don't like this either have skin-compatibility issues or don't like patchouli. This is what I bought my wife because I also like it; after all it will be worn for me alone. Expensive for the EDP but will last for ages. This is far lighter and more playful than Coco; this is for the mademoiselle and Coco for the madame.Chanel and Polge extremely rarely create a bad perfume, this is one of their best.

davinalondon's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

very expensive for what this is...and an interesting blend of pure powdery vanille and gentle tobacco overnotes.
    this one does last but i am not sure that if you like Vanilla then Angel is your scent...as it is mine. however a certainly different style and fragrance. Resiliant and unusual. Not sure it warrants such a high price.

davinalondon's avatar

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

not sure its because i bought a bottle of this on ebay, but it has no staying power and not as rose scented as Stella...wont be adding to my wishlist....

Deskexplorer2's avatar

Black Leather by Avon

I brought this when it first came out because I was a huge fan of the "Black Suede" fragrance back in the day. However, Avon missed the mark on this fragrance in my honest opinion. "Black Suede" was memorable, but "Black Leather" is forgettable.
    This may explain why Avon discontinued this fragrance shortly after it's release.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Has anybody looked at the "juice" itself. When I look into the bottle, I see all this "crud" floating around in the bottle. What is that stuff. It's a relatively new bottle (the Very Irresistable Sensual), the EDP version. If you'll look into the bottle, you'll see small "clumps" of stuff floating around. Either the perfumery is a dirty work environment letting debris fall into the perfume vat, or else its an integral part of the perfume. I think it's just debris (hopefully not harmful) that has contaminated the perfume vat. I won't buy it again, but if I do, I'll be sure to check the bottle again to make sure that "crud" isn't floating around in the bottle. Other than that, it's a beautiful fragrance. Just don't wanna spray any of that "crud" on myself. Take a look, shake the bottle a little and see if you don't see what I see--little white clumps of "crud" floating around in the bottle. This is kinda scary.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Generic? Indeed, beyond any doubt. I guess this scent revolves exclusively around the famous " Boss sweetness " which can range from atrocious to pure genius from scent to scent. This one seemed to have landed right in the middle, yet slightly less effeminate and mainstream like the other mass produced Boss scents appearing almost every second and which are spposed to be masculine. While suitable for teenagers, i would associate this scent with 20 something, at most 30 something young executives, officials or members of the vast suburban middle class, maybe as their office wear, but i think it's a little to casual for that, but most likely in their spare time or during their night out downtown, clubbing.

TaoLady's avatar

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Had mimosa trees surrounding the terazzo in my home Up North and this glorious frag takes me right back to that sun-dappled place of peace where I could spend warm summer afternoons sipping iced tea suffused in the scent. Very evocative - with good sillage and surprising (for and on me) longevity.

migsdc's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

The cardamom and incense have really caught me, I have been wearing this now for a while with good reactions. Minor sillage, but when somebody gets close....wow

silk4ever's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Yes, the infamous "ink" note, I often referred it as being some weird note in SWM that I can't get pass. Therefore, the reason for my thumbs down.

GeorgeBernard's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

Very, VERY pleasant stuff! Starts fresh (bergamot) and developes into a smooth combination of chocolate, coffee and vanilla (tonkabean). But very subtle, not in a "smells edible"-way.
    One of the nicest fragrances I ever smelled!
    Comes in a simple bottle in a nice box with a picture of the Hoggar-desert.
    Quality compared to price (no money!) is maybe the best one can get.

No. 5 by Chanel

The thing I love about No. 5 is that it is so opaque in the lightest way. It's so light pink in color to me, but the scent itself is rich, like seeing light pink paint freshly mixed in the paint can. Some fragrances allow light to shine in, some are dark and we're caught in their molecule cloud, things wizzing around this way and that. But this is so settled, so serene in its uncluttered beauty. Perhaps if this were Guerlain and it sat on the shelves next to Mitsouko and L'eur Bleu and Shalimar and Jicky, it wouldn't stand out quite as much, but whatever the case, it is what it is... an icon.

Very Valentino by Valentino

It's true about the vanilla. You sense it from the beginning even when the fresh citrus and florals are doing their work. But I enjoy the way the almost sharp magnolia note plays against the warmth of the vanilla. In the end it dries down in a similar fashion to practically all new sensual feminines these days, with the wood/vanilla/ dusty, ambery base, similar in feel to Hypnose and distantly, to Allure.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This is a very seductive fragrance, a passing, over-the-shoulder glance in a floor-length gown. The EDT starts very rich, dark but not confusing or overpowering. An atypical musk accord, amber, and sweet woods combine to create a dense fragrance, a dark veil of sensuality. Similar (yet richer) to my nose in philosophy to Prada's feminine amber.

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

Yum! For the first 5 minutes I was trying to place to citrus fruit I was smelling most prominently, and finally I realized it reminded me MOST of the grapefruit my mom used to cut up for me and sprinkle sugar on top of. This is a very sweet, yet not syrupy, citrus. I sense the sharper currant note really come through after the initial citrus haze dies down a bit giving it the slightest fruit punch flavor. The thing about this is, it's not all citrus citrus citrus happiness. There is a sweet sensuality given to it from the base notes. This is a thoughtful and lovely little fragrance that if meant to truly resemble love, seems to recall the first pangs felt by teenagers and young adults.

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

It smells of jasmine + plum + nice coniferous note + honey, very elegant scent, comfortable, soothing, deep, there is something aromatherapeutic in it, dark and soft, like a black velveteen, has a little in common with Poison and Romeo di Romeo Gigli (EDP!)

theLateDoctor's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I just purchased a bottle (puck?) of this yesterday, and although i'm not sure i would have picked out the "rubber" note had it not been mentioned so much here, i can definitely smell it. For me it's not so much a rubber tire note as it is that of a rubber squeeze toy if anything. I put some on last night and found the sillage to be pretty average, and though some have said it lacks in persistance, I could still very much smell it this morning. Interestingly, while Black develops in a pretty linear fashion (thanks to that O.B.), when i awoke the aroma that greeted me was this peppery/vanilla/muskiness that i REALLY liked. Anyway, the overall unique spicy/sweetness of Bvlgari Black really works for me, and i can see it getting a lot of playing time .

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Even tough i usually cannot stand CK fragrances with the exception of the superb all-time classic Eternity for men, being more a fan of much more classical, basic or dandified scents, there is something about Obsession Night that fascinates me. It has style, smoothness and a certain combination between mainstream appeal and sophistication- something highly unlikely like someone trying to be original and still fitting into contemporary fashion trends. Besides the notes listed before i seem to sense even a slight note of blue cedar in this one, quite similar to Eau de cedre bleu by Yves Rocher, which is more affordable than this, but shares the same unusual and exquisite woody note. Of course, the suede element is also pleasant as there are watery notes, the latter exhaling a crisp and mellow smell which suits almost any age group and even both genders of wearers. Besides Eau de cedre bleu, I'd compare this one to Joop Nightflight, even the more precious Endymion or some aquatic Boss scents, in particular Elements Aqua, for reasons which i feel very intensely yet cannot express very logically and properly a this moment, as the memory and the associations of scents are often very nondescript.

01st July, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2011)

iMaverick's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

If it weren't so gosh darn popular, or at least wasn't worn by a woman at work, I myself would wear it more often, or at least I'd like to. Angel unfortunately still has this feminine je ne sais quois quality about it despite the generous punch of patchouli in the mix which hardly makes it any angel at all! Certainly not a cute perfume, and it's actually the patchouli that makes my nose swoon--the musty type, as compared to the sweaty green type worn by hippies of the 60s and 70s. Back to Angel...it's probably that berry note that makes it feminine to my nose. Despite all this, I love it, love smelling it, whoever wears it, including myself when I want to be reminded of it when I'm at home. I can understand why it's so popular. I love the mens version as well, but sadly you always have to get over that brash tar beginning, A*Men and B*Men alike. Beautiful-but-edgy is the mark of Thierry Mugler--yeehah!

moonrat's avatar

Rouge Royal for Men by Marina de Bourbon

Rouge Royal Is a sweet - red - scent. Close to Jacomo Rouge, but not the same. Not too sweet, but still with a noticeable sweetness. Woody with some spice and maybe amber and possible lavender. It's a nice sweet fragrance that is different than Pi or other overly sweet EDTs. Seems would work well for evenings and nights, but with a light application, it could be OK for work.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

Casmir is a sentimental favorite of mine - it was one of my first "real" perfumes of my early 20s. I love everything about it: the exotic name, the gorgeous bottle, and the sweet, sexy, earthy juice inside. It dries down to an incense skin scent that is just wonderful, and fits my personality perfectly. Though some might think it elegant, I like to wear this when I'm feeling relaxed and casual; it's great paired with jeans and a sweater, and the patchouli and sandalwood gives it a slightly retro, hippie vibe. I feel very natural when I wear Casmir. Men seem to love it, too, which never hurts. ;-) A definite must-try if you enjoy woody orientals. Michael Almairac also created the original Burberry fragrance for women (round bottle, amber colored juice), another winner. I hope to always own a bottle of Casmir...

02 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2008)

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Most D&G fragrances are just too much for me, but this is lovely. It's refreshing and crisp with good sillage. I like this and Jardin sur les Nil by Hermes for summer.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Datura Noir was my full bottle purchase from the Serge Lutens range. I fell for it as it is perfect concoction of tuberose, osmanthus, coconut, vanilla and musk. Perhaps I am just bias as I have this weakness for tuberose and coconut. It is the nicest tropical recipe which blends well with the Southeast Asia climate. Datura Noir have a relatively good staying power on me. It goes on heady but it quickly settled down and leaves a creamy sillage of a coconut pudding.

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I was convinced that I had found my holy grail scent when I first tried 3rd Man. But, within a month, it bored me. I'd pick up the bottle stare it it for a few seconds and put it back down and pick something offering more of a thrill. As the cliche goes, "too many cooks spoil the pot". Yes, in the end, there's really nothing/everything to focus on in this potion, it's sweet, it's floral, it's woody, it's well done, it's high quality. Zzzz..........