Fragrance Reviews from July 2007

Divatologist's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

I got a sample of this and liked how it smelled on the paper. However, when I tried it one me it didn't smell so hot. I wore the sample once and that was even worse. Well, I was shopping for new frags and something told me to try it again. This time it really smelled good on my skin. I'm thinking that the sample I had must have been old or had something wrong with it. Anyhoo, I quickly purchased it. I kept smelling my arm over and over. Eureka!! I knew exactly what to add to this unique frag. Aveda Patchouli. Let me tell you something. Every single time I wear these two together I get stopped by someone wanting to know what I have on. No lie. Everytime I wear it!!! I looooooove this perfume. I'm not much on "note" identities, but I knew that the Aveda patchouli would be a perfect note to blend with this perfume. I will definitely purchase this on the regular. By the way, my S/O loves this on me. The 1st time I wore it, he talked about it all night. It was a very lovely night too.....tee hee.

Cologne Man's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This one carries "soapy" and clean OB (Orange Blossom)smell!
    Perform Prada Man during aromantic evening, too sweet and formal for every day wear.....

Tabu by Dana

Not bad. But it needs to be remarketed to shake of that "hooker" association that my mum and nanna attach to it. And here, it seems, a lot of others do too.

Look, fundamentally, its not bad.

The feature notes are done quite well - smooth, ambery, vanillic, spicy and floral - not in a headache-provoking way, but it has this unnerving musty quality that to me, makes the perfume smell like its trying to be clear and more subtle at the same time, but struggling to permeate through a layer of cling-film. I guess I also get that because I find that it has this weird plastic-y quality that stops it from being what it has the potential to be.

I think if Dana sorts out those issues, it could be remarketed as something a LOT more classy, and provided that it was launched in the fall or winter time, and as a more up-market perfume, it might even make a killing in sales!

All in all, in this perfume, I see a LOT of Youth Dew. Does anyone else?

I'll give it 5/10 and a neutral, because of theissues that I have with it.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Heh......Nothing special.

Quite wearable - but it has never got me any compliments...I just use it as an every day sorta thing - nto sure what fragrance family to group it into, though.

I don't really understand this fragrance - and I have been wearing it for almost 3 years now...Just smells a bit confusing - not sure whether I like it or not!

Dalissime by Salvador Dali

Sweet but yes, rather older, "dusty" smelling fragrance.
    Apricot syrup + something peppery/herbal. I think I like it.

Dalimania by Salvador Dali

Very sweet, "sticky". Coconut fragrance oil + "dusty" note (sandalwood and patchouli). Smells like chocolate wrapping papers.

Création by Ted Lapidus

Elegant. A very(!)chypre, herbal scent. No flowers, no fruits. Somewhat masculine. Tobacco/dried herbs + smoke + honey + smell of glue on an adhesive tape + lichens + wood.

Rubylips by Salvador Dali

Red currants + wild strawberries + honey + "dusty" and smokey patchouli. It is a little "shampooy" scent. I don't know. Average, poor lasting power.

MissBoucheron's avatar

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

I have finally tried all of the Britney scents and this is my absolute favorite. I haven't smelled anything quite like it. The first spray is absolutely delish, my favorite part of the experience. The loquat is really complemented by the musky/woodsy scents. Makes me think of sexy fruit--don't ask. LOL

As wonderful a scent as this one is, it does not last at ALL. Not even an hour on me. It is truly a shame because this scent has such potential. I wish the folks at Elizabeth Arden would go back to the drawing board with In Control and give it more staying power.

Like the person who said it smelled of Playdoh on her, the last remnants smell salty on me also! Weird! So I just keep spraying it on, I am addicted to that first burst of woodsy loquat fruit.
    Another cool bottle design from the EA company.

MissBoucheron's avatar

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

I do like this Britney scent also. To me it smells like blueberries. It doesn't transform much from 1st spray to drydown. After an hour or so it just smells like faint blueberries and a bit of vanilla. It only seems to last a couple of hours on me. I wish it lasted longer, it is a really pretty, fruity scent. The bottle & packaging are neat~~think of Elle Woods' evil twin! lol

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

A subtle but very enjoyable spice mix almost anyone would feel good about. A gentlile mix of spice with a green minty lightness from laurel, tomato leaves , rosemary and sage. A dose of spice from cardamon, coriander, nutmeg and Cumin add to the green incense base. Light and pleasant. A refined mix but possibly too polite and pleasant. Not as bold as YSL Rive Gauche or MB Spiritus/Land#2 and w/o the fruit spices of Arabie or Acier Aluminium. Does not make much of a statement even though it smells very nice.

kewart's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

As a woman I can assure that this is a very sensual scent on a man. It is just so inviting I can't tell you!! This is the only scent that makes me want to keep nuzzling the wearer - could encourage stalkers.

kewart's avatar

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

This is another of the seemingly ubiquitous "fruity-florals" that are flooding the market this year.
    It is perfectly wearable and refreshing, in a light, watery kind of way, but I like my scents to have a bit more personality and lasting power!

marco_from_chile's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

A correct fragance, but I think seems old fashioned. I m an 29 years old guy and I prefer something more modern. Correct, nice....all you want....bla bla bla....but not for young people.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Ô Oui! by Lancôme

I have an unpleasant in-law who I plan to give this to just so that at family gatherings when she looks down her nose at me I will be able to think "but you smell of WEE!"
    I know I am not mature.

Very poor name though. And not a particularly inspiring fragrance, but not actively unpleasant.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Brit Gold by Burberry

A great addition to the Brit family. I like the original well enough and love Brit Red with the rhubarb topnote. Gold is somewhere in between. It has the cool feel of Brit, so cool I almost detect anise, but I guess it might just be cool florals. Like the rest of the Burberry line, it has a distinctly "perfumey" quality, and that implies a certain coolness.
    Gold also has the gourmandy, spicy, rich basenotes of Red however. It's never too sweet or heavy, just a lovely, smooth oriental with vanilla and woods. I could swear I get a pinch of patchouli as well.
    I see Dolce Vita among the recommendations below, and I can definitely understand why. They share that quality of smooth, cosy, mature oriental, neither girly sweet nor elderly heavy.

TaoLady's avatar

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

Interesting. On me this Labdanum is sweet musk with an immediate powdery accord...no spice. I get a hint of this in some of the loukhoums - it's nice, but doesn't suit my personality - which is how come the neutral thumb.

vawallpa's avatar

Austin Reed for Him by Austin Reed

A very creamy scent quite similar to Diesel Plus Plus (White Bottle). Haven't smelled Allure so can't compare there. Classy, and not too expensive.

Atlanta1's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Ahh, one of my signature fragrances....a delicious and unique swirl of class and wonder like no other. From its lavender and lemon beginnings right down to the intoxicating blend of vanilla and musk and floral/herb inbetweens, this stands alone as a classic, old-style sophisticated creation from 1934. I love it, love it, love it! I have used this fragrance regularly since 1978 and I have it in both its EDT and EDP versions. It will always remain in my wardrobe till I'm taken away or they take it away.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Meh...Its alright...simply doesn't smell as wonderful as a lot of people like to make out...

A lightly vanillic semi-smoked black tea (or hong cha, red tea in Mandarin). Not special.

I have mixed feelings about this one: whilst the rubberish note makes it somewhat unique, it also ruins it for me...should replace this with some white tea notes, and maybe perhaps some guaiac - it would suit the fragrance better.

Its very urbane-smelling, a modern take on a tea perfume, quite palatable, and very acceptable.

Something about it screams out "MAINSTREAM"; I'm by no means a niche devotee - there are plenty of fantastic mass-market and semi-exclusives out there, particularly in classics, but there's something in this that just says to me "I'm mainstream, but its ok, coz I'm not 'usual'..."LOL.

Well, thats my honest opinion. spot on 5/10.

Cheers.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

Oh my...I don't get what so many people appear to adore with this one...One of my aunts has been buying this for me for Christmas every years since its release...

I've given away 9 bottles and I still have 3 left, only because they are redundant in my collection - I rarely use it! It just ends up giving me an aweful headache in the first ten minutes!

I totally agree with 'nout' on the whole shoe shine thing - I got that too.

Just reading the notes, one might expect to find in this fragrance qualities similar to Goodlife for men, and even Cool Water. I found none of that.

Infact, all I could smell in it was a powerful blast of alcohol, shoe shine and synthetic notes. Yes, it smelled very synthetic to me. Not sophisticated or masculine, but VERY ordinary and synthetic.

And it smelled no different on anyone else I gave bottles away to.

Sorry, but 2/10 for effort, and thumbs down.

Cheers.

Oynx by Lenthéric

Nice, fresh, clean and masculine.

It like a soft, smooth, clean and very green-smelling Aramis.

I also get a Shaving-Cream note in it.

To me, the closest thing to a "barber-shop" scent - mainly because of its slightly spicey, semi-green, semi-sweet Aramis-like Shaving-Cream-like smell.

In my Nan and Pop's bathroom, this has been sitting in their Victorian-style wall-mounted shaving cabinet for 16 years (the same bottle). Every time I have been to their home on vacations I have given it a good sniff - and it hasn't changed one bit in 16 years! So obviously, it has kept very well.

I only wish they'd put it back into production! I love it love it love it!!!!

A very refreshing change to most crap on the market today.

Masculine and gentlemanly. Very nice stuff!

ocpyroqueen's avatar

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

Strangely enough, I HATE this when I first put it on. There's a single, overpowering sweet note at the beginning that reminds me of either Obsession or Poison. But once the overpowering first note dies away, it just smells really, really good, like the real garden rose named Tiffany. It reminds me of Rosine's Rose d'Ete in that it is a very ripe rose scent, without the lighter approach of Ecume de Rose or Zest de Rose. If you like a straightforward, natural, floral rose, you'll like this.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oh wow - this is different, and quite special. When I first tried it, what my mind kept noticing is the mossy quasi-vegetable aspect of it - someone mentioned celeri, and indeed something in here reminds me of celeri salt - probably the mix of amber with thyme, pine needles and moss.

However, once my mind has "gotten over" that strange chord, eery time I wear it what really stands out is that it smells like a hard candy version of cherry jello. I frankly have no idea what fragrance oils from the pyramid were used to conjure that up!

And then once I got used to that, it all "clicked" - red candy with a little dirty salty sweaty spice.

I really love this. I imagine this won't work on everyone's skin, but if you do try it, give it a few chances before you decide what you think.

06 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2011)

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Wow! Great fragrance from Hugo Boss! If you like Davidoff Echo, this one will perfectly fit you. I have to say Hugo clearly biased it: both have the same refreshing metallic/minty smell but while Echo smells more spicy and a bit woody, this one is fruity and more subtle. However, both have a sweet (without being cloying)smell that gives them a young vibe.
    Good longevity for a casual scent! It's the kind of fragrance everybody loves, what makes us think that one of its problems is the lack of originality/daring.
    Thumbs up anyway!

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

what a cheap and bad smelling ordinary cologne......keeping in mind that lancome, this really great and famous company launched fragrances like balafre, sikkim,climat, tresor,sagamore etc.hypnose does not let you dream and ask for more....as cuir de russie and bois des iles.....perfumes that have a unique, special and refined smell....hypnose is sharp, loud and dominating and a stinking water.....quickly it starts to nerve and cause nauseas.definitely a no go!

Sheep911's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love the bubblegum opening on this one. After the initial burst it aquires a pudding like texture and it´s really really nice. I don´t find it excessively sweet.

odysseusm's avatar

Smalto by Francesco Smalto

Smalto is heavy, sweet, and leathery with an oppressively powdery dry-down. Absinthe can lend an interesting herbal note in some fragrances, but here it just is odd and sharp. The chamomile gives an unpleasant hay field note; I’ve never cared for that particular fragrance. Honey, vanilla and tonka bean are a combination that is too rich for me, and they out-muscle the faint wood notes. Don’t like it.

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I may have bought a fake version, but this one stays only 15 minutes on may skin! I just love the fragrance, everytime I go to a retail store I stop by the counter just to smell it... but what I have at home is another thing!

07 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2008)

Santos by Cartier

Wow - I'd never have thought it possible, but I smell two classics in this - Aramis-like notes at the top, and Lagerfeld-reminiscent notes at the bottom - infact, after ten or 20 minutes, it smells like those almost stuffy turkish tobacco, vanilla and sandal notes in Richard James that Lagerfeld Classic originated...Those notes remind me especially of Richard James...But my opinion is that Lagerfeld does them in a far, far superior fashion, despite the formula having changed somewhat - they smell less stuffy, more sensual.

But to me, Lagerfeld and Aramis are wonderful on their own...I love each, and seek both out when not readily available...however, whilst Santos is 'different', it certainly doesn't smell like something I'd go hunting for like I do with others.

I dunno why. It fits the description of a new cologne to add to my growing collection - but it just doesn't make me feel that I should just go ahead and buy it...I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe its the semi-stuffy basenotes? Maybe its that it doesn't smell entirely original?

Maybe its because in Santos, I smell Lagerfeld Classic, Antaeus, Aramis and Richard James all at once - all fragrances that I own in my personal collection (not in my wardrobe here - that needs a good updating!).

I'm not entirely certain, but I can't seem to bring myself to purchase it, even though I like it...

I have very mixed feelings 'bout it, and don't know what to think - it confuses me a bit! lol.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. And I'd say I'd give it about 5.5/10, mainly because of the confusion it has caused me.

Cheers, and happy smellin'.