Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

Amandes Orientales by Montale

A luverly amaretto-esque gourmand, with a sweet vanilla to cut the almond notes. I would like it even better had it some spice (some cinnamon, perhaps, or clove), but it's still a damn interesting Montale. Thumbs up, though I likely will save my pennies for Black Aoud.

Suppressor's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

User "Oolong", this is no way a feminine frag.
    To me it's just a special masculine frag with not so good sillage (after some hours) but average to good longevity.
    Suited for all ages above 18.

AnnaBanana's avatar

Bijan With a Twist by Bijan

Pleasant, clean, somewhat fresh but also somewhat "thick" on me. In my opinion, this is a humble scent that is good for the office, but leave a splashier scent for the evenings or special occasions. I've always wanted to try Bijan's fragrances, since I like to support Persian-Americans, and this was a good buy.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I describe this scent as a room lit up with vanilla scented candles and you can find leather whips under the bed. I love it, on myself either at work or when I'm in a naughty mood already.

P-Natra's avatar

Germany Germany

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I love it from the beginning to the end. It last on me the whole day. No problem with that. I like the topnotes (citrus-oil, bergamot, grapefruit) The basenote is warm and strong. I don´t get it. Some says it last not long enough...they lost their sense of smell. 2 Thumbs up

randumbsmellyguy's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

Whenever I’m stuck in the paradoxical position of wanting to take a fragrance break but not wanting to venture out into the world unscented, this is one on that short list that I consistently reach for.

Clean as clean can get, fresh as fresh can be and as such for me, utterly sexless in spite of what I’ve heard others claim. But its inability to jostle the hormones, much less crudely grab you below the belt, doesn’t relegate this one to fragrance history’s dustbin (which in an ideal world would smell like the fascistically linear musky mishmash of every fragrance counter you’ve ever walked past).

Teetering precariously on the edge of sterility, Gendarme is masterfully balanced and possessed of a poise and grace rarely seen among fragrances anymore that dare to call attention to their own inoffensiveness.

There are many more complex scents out there, however for what it is - a radiant simplicity, an endearing naïveté that anyone can and should cloak themselves in at least once - it is among the best of its kind.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

Neither good, nor bad, rather middle-of-the-road, very mild-mannered patchouli scent.

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien was a big surprise: the name led to expect something mild, but it turned out to be a mixture of Bandit & Comme des Garcons Synthetic Series (Garage, Skai, Tar). To my nose it has that same leather jacket saturated with decades' worth of thick cigarette smoke vibe as Bandit. VERY long-lasting scent.

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one really is the great-grandson of Caron's Pour un Homme! Lacks the powdery vanilla, but has that great trustworthy shoulder-to-lean-on lavender. I certainly wouldn't mind being held in the arms of this particular antihero. ;D

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

The most "daring" thing about this scent is its name. The scent itself is nice: rather "traditional" with powdery roses and violets and some animalic notes thrown in, but I think that this type of scent has been done many times in the past, and much better, too. PdP is nice all right, but I rather stick with my Carons.

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Though my first impression was that this particular blonde is the the cheapest and nastiest ever, the drydown took me by surprise: it reminds of another blonde, SL Daim Blonde, that is. It's quite an achievement to turn from trashy to classy, but this scent does it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Citrus Sorbet by Anthousa

Begins with a very bold and fresh blast of lemon/mandarine/grapefruit ~ then dries down to smell like Fresh's Sake. It ends up on the sweet side. OK, but not that special. I guess if you find it for around $15.00 at an outlet it might be worth a purchase.

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

The class cheerleader we all knew -- blond and bright and sassy and sweet on top, but OH what a slutty little thing once you scratch the surface.

Kingdom is a dirty, nasty, skanky little frag -- anything but safe and politically correct.

The cumin note doesn't come across so much as dark or animalic as it does very like B.O. (in that sexy, primate kind of way). It can be off-putting, granted, but it's well worth it if you like novel uses of cumin. (And I do.)

Exceptionally unisex, and guaranteed to garner tons of comments (if not always compliments.)

What a dirty girl she is.

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

A perennial favorite whose ambery dry-down is well worth the extremely floral top notes and heart notes.

Like its distant cousin Shalimar, this French beauty is a) never out of style, b) still made with quality ingredients in spite of the reasonable price tag, c) unisex up to a point (albeit feminine in the beginning, no doubt) and d) two different beasts in its edt and edp/parfum de toilette incarnations. (The edt has greater sillage on me whilst the edp sticks closer to the skin. The edp's dry-down is woodier and more intense, though.)

A huge thumbs up for the house of Desprez. Now if only Desprez would get off its Gallican -ss and bring back Versailles pour Homme so we could all be supremely happy.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

As with Lauder's Youth Dew and Worth's Je Reviens, my favorite form of this frag is (believe it or not) the bath oil. I have one small vintage bottle that I treasure.

Lovely use of violet and sandalwood -- very Twenties, very elegant, very dusty and yet gorgeous at the same time. I see the similarities with Bois des Iles, yes, but My Sin is much softer in its top and heart notes. The drydown is where the similarites really increase.

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

Nice nutmeg opening, but it's all downhill from there.

A non-descript office frag that's not going to offend anyone at the next meeting of the Sioux City Kiwanis Club.

Versus Uomo by Versace

One of the most interesting takes on lemon in all of olfactory history -- coniferous peaks and creamy notes blended beautifully with a subtle and seductive rendition of lemon. Why Versace ever discontinued this gem of a scent? Hell if I know!

Calypso Homme by Calypso Christiane Celle

Effervescent describes this one perfectly -- happy, inoffensive, clean citrus frag. Still, there's nothing stellar here -- just good quality ingredients well blended together. The perfect office or classroom frag.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

A generic, diluted, commonplace and watery clone. (Did I mince any words?)

Ginger Musk by Montale

Bright and fruity, indeed. Far too sharp and feminine for my taste, and with far too little ginger. Excellent quality ingredients, though (as with most if not all Montales), and masterful blending. Just not MY taste.

Montale really should market this one as a berry frag, and should take off the unisex appellation -- unless they're marketing it to drag queens, that is.

Blue Amber by Montale

One word: lush. Absolutely lush. Hands down, far and away the best amber frag I've ever sampled.

Imagine the Montale amber of Patchouli Leaves, but without the vanilla and patchouli of PL competing against it. No, just enough sweet vanilla to balance it out and bergamot to cut the vanilla a tad.

Marvelous longevity and top drawer sillage. Four words to close: must get a bottle!

Miele Rosa by I Profumi di Firenze

Gorgeous take on honey. Imagine, if you will, Lutens' Miel de Bois minus its fierce ferality and woody undertones. This is far better, too, than L'Occitane's weak and watery attempts at rendering a sweet honey note. This is one of those frags whose super sweetness could almost be cloying were it not for the complexities of the drydown and the sheer quality of the ingredients.

TaoLady's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

I love too - and agree that it's more iris and violet than peony. I layer it with YR Pivoine Magnifica - TRES summery.

Eliza's avatar

Envy by Gucci

It's a lovely scent but I had to get rid of it because I always felt like I was smelling someone elses perfume. It just wasn't for me, yet it was pretty. I bought it because Luca Turin said it was one of 4 masterpieces (24 Faubough,Tocade and L'Instant). Just goes to show how we are all so unique and particular wehn it comes to scents.

kharisma92's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I bought this juice when it 1st hit the market and in 2008 I still can't find a place for it. I walked into a Sheraton Hotel Lobby in Atlanta and what did I smell??? Marc Jacobs! The airfreshner the hotel uses is identical to Marc Jacobs(No one could verify that it was MJ). I'm gonna rate this one neutral because it smells better as a room deodorizer rather than a body fragrance.........

odysseusm's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

There is some debate as to which is the original cologne, 4711 or Jean-Marie Farina (aka Extra Vielle) by Roger & Gallet. Here are my notes of comparison. 4711 is very lemony and refreshing, with a bit of rose and a hint of rosemary to freshen. It has a tiny bit of musk, and no wood that I can detect. Its lemon persists an amazingly long time for a citrus note – I give it credit for that. This is a simple fragrance. (For an amazing lemon-musk, try Eau Sauvage.) JMF is similar but at the same time is darker, deeper and more interesting. It has more depth and complexity, in my opinion. Carnation gives it a bit of clovey spice. It is a bit drier and spicier than 4711, and I like it better.

08 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2008)

odysseusm's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Marine Oak / Quercia Marina by Acqua di Parma

Fragrance notes: “marine oak,” carnation, mint, cedar.
    Marine Oak has a lovely and bold opening. It is herbal and woody, a real “brown” sort of scent. Note: marine oak is not wood at all, it is a kind of seaweed. The wood note comes from the cedar. Carnation and mint spice up and freshen the herbal-seaweed fragrance. This was designed to be a tonic scent: thus it is bracing and quite aromatic. It is a different sort of scent – it is powerful, so don’t over-apply. I like it.

s130178's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

it is my first acqua di parma purchase and i have never smelled any other adp before to compare it too either
    It is a classy smelling fragrance that has a nice zip to it when first applied , has a musky citrusy smell and dries down to a nice smooth finish but the longetivity is not great though.
    all in all though it gets the thumbs up

germanomio's avatar

France France

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

neither bad nor excellent nor original
    over-rated for sure
    i would rather say it's inoffensive
    a discreet masculine fragrance fresh and not too sweet

08 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2009)

TOM L's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

Trying this aftershave makes me realize that you dont have to spend lots of money to find a really nice scent. For me, its light, cooling, and i love how it can be poured and applied as needed...the way an aftershave should be. Overall a timeless classic that should not be judged by cost alone!