Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

Gucci No. 3 by Gucci

Gorgeous frag -- bone dry and ever so tailored. Can't believe that a) it turns out to have been discontinued and b) I'm the first to post any kind of review.

This is (or should I say was?) one of those frags that could easily cross the gender gap. Pity to hear about its discontinuation.

Nobile by Gucci

Drakkar Noir and Loewe para Hombre after a night of passionate love-making, their glassy limbs and sprayers all entwined.

An old school Eighties power frag whose cult has plenty of adherents across the board (and in the larger world) for plenty of good reasons. I won't be paying the eBay premium for it anytime soon, no, but can certainly understand why Nobile fans would/do.

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

Aside from the brief piquancy of the pimiento and the almost as brief sharpness of the star anise, there's nothing here to distinguish this one from so many other "fresh" fougeres on the market.

Beckham should stick to bending it on the ball field. Then again, perhaps this latest perfumery deal of his -- the one that came out in '07 -- will work out better. (Or not.)

Oceanus by Body Shop

Another one of the very few aquatics I can abide, but still nothing I'll ever clamor for. I smell a lot of bergamot here, so much so that I can certainly understand the "soapy" conclusion drawn by 891.

Really a pretty good frag for the price and (to the best of my knowledge) one of The Body Shop's best sellers for years. (And this time for good reason.)

skinboy8's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

When I first started using Jaipur I had only discovered the EDT. Even so, I was transfixed immediately, so much so that it has become one of my perennial favorites. Jaipur smells like nothing else I have ever experienced - the vanilla is really something else, it punches out from the second the juice is applied. It is one of the few fragrances I have worn that have caused strangers to ask me which cologne I am wearing. I was happy with the EDT.

Then, while in Paris, I sprayed on some of the EDP, and it was an epiphany - how, I wondered, could it be that these brews could share the same name and yet be so different? By "different", of course, I mean "more magnificent".

I reach for my Jaipur EDP regularly. Sometimes I am so torn between it and Antaeus that I have to flip a coin to decide which one I'll spend the day with. Jaipur Homme is very potent, long-lasting, and projects calm, confident masculinity. And in the words of one of my work colleagues, "it smells very very expensive". It is quite sweet off the top, which could be mistaken for a feminine characteristic, although it fades away quickly to leave a spicy, oriental sillage that lasts for many, many hours. If you're hung up about the idea of wearing a fragrance that's a little sweet, then by all means drown yourself in Yatagan or Quorum and stick with that. If you're comfortable with your masculinity and it's not threatened by wearing a fragrance that can sometimes smell a little androgynous, then get yourself a big bottle of Jaipur Homme EDP, and enjoy.

12 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2008)

TurkishRose's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

To me, it's vaguely reminiscent of Bulgari pour Femme. It must be the powder connection. At any rate, it is one of the more wearable Frederic Malle perfumes.

bsn's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure Homme is a good all purpose scent. What I like about this fragrance is how it progresses and changes over several hours. It starts out fresh and gradually warms up presenting many different facets over the course of several hours. It is hard to get bored with this one.

bsn's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of bottles of the most excellent Shulton produced Old Spice. It's a excellent timeless composition albeit very pedestrian. I don't wear this in public too often, but its nice to put some on once in a while and take a trip down memory lane.

InconcievableZen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Van Gils by Van Gils

This scent is very unknown because the clothing house of Van Gils is based in Holland, and to my knowledge, doesn't export much. You only might see it in the UK.

The fragrance is much darker and stronger than those before me described. For me, it doens't really feel like boss no.1, it's maybe heavier, and maybe a little sweeter on the floral part. The florals are done VERY well, like in aramis, very subltle. The other notes on the other hand, are DARK

This scent doesn't nearly get the reputation it deserves, it's like a better version of Trussardi Uomo! Not only in terms of strength, but also lasting power and balance.

Enough raving about it, it's just a try before you die, if you like the 80's powerhouses!!

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Loved Un Jardin sur le Nil. It was my first test of the Hermes fragrance line and I was sure I would all of them. Unfortunately, this seems like one of those dated department store rejects to me at first try. Maybe I need to try it again, but if it smells like that to other people I wouldn't subject them to it.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I tried the parfum. It reminds me of 24 Faubourg (which I did not like at first try) and reminds me of rotten oranges.

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

Perhaps purple just doesn't agree with me, but I find it cloying, suffocating, nauseating.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

I tried the EDT because a friend sent me a sample and I thought it was a male fragrance. Some leathers smell like new saddle leather, or new upscale leather in a mercedes, like Yatagan; however, this smells like a saddle that has been sat in extensively. Not that I don't like it, just pointing out what I smell. Sexy. Very feral. I will wear it if I'm staying in with my nastiest girfriend.......

Knize Ten by Knize

I can't figure out what there is to like about this. It comes on like a rosey plastice. And after time allowed for drydown, well, it still smells like a rosey plastic.
    Really mediocre.

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I don't know what more I can add, but I will say this is a wonderful scent. Very fresh. Brings to mind pineapple and other nice pacific island fruits. But it is the best of that genre I have tried.
    I also find it up lifting.

musicman's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I love this fragrance!!! It is perhaps my favorite, although I am relatively new to fragrances. It is strong and provocative. I find the anise note soothing and my girlfriend finds it very attractive. This fragrance started me towards gourmands and sweet orientals, and away from watery "blue" frags. It could be too sweet for some, I guess you either love it or hate it, and I LOVE IT!!!!! (Can't you put up more than one thumb? We've got FOUR of 'em up over here on this side of the screen!)

musicman's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I am confused, but pleased by this fragrance. It is soapy and gentle, with no real amber scent to it. I really prefer stronger scents, but Prada has a unique staying power. It is very linear, getting to its powdery soapy note very quickly, then it STAYS. The fragrance is VERY soft but it stays at this low intensity for a long time. It is a great room frag, I sprayed some and left for work. Ten hours later, it was still in my room, with the exact same intensity. It could be your grandmother's face powder, or your grandfather's shaving soap, but it is very interesting, although more of a curiosity than a heavy rotation fragrance.

sameasalways's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I think this was my very first REAL perfume love. I had to have been about 9 years old!!! Maybe 10. I remember putting it on and loving it. I have to question what my teacher thought of me to be wearing such an adult scent. It was spicy and warm and musky and sweet. I felt very grown up and probably did not fit in at all in my small little elementary school in the country of middle-of-nowhere Idaho. But then...I have always been called "weird" (but in a good way). Suffice it to say I have been around and seen Paris, Dublin, the Cliffs of Moher, Venice, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, Prague....Luxemburg, Belgium, and Germany..San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York...and if this is the result of being "weird" at the age of 9/10, then so be it! I think this is the fragrance that started my elusive love for all fragrances and my curiosity for the out of reach.

sameasalways's avatar

Aoud Damascus by Montale

WOW! This was my first ever smell of anything by Montale. I am new to all of this, but its been a huge learning curve. I got six other samples and THIS is the one. Have you ever smelled a FRESH rose still in the garden? The kind that have the strong rose smell..the frail country ones on a bush w/huge thorns? The kind that swarm w/bees in the middle of a hot summer when everything else is silent? This smells like that. The first thing I wrote when I smelled this on my paper was "medicine" because it smelled of medicine somehow. I did not even think twice that I could like this. Then somehow something kept smelling soooo unbelievably good. And it was the one I had marked "medicine" (the medicine smell lasted a whole 5 minutes IF that). So later that day I had to put more one. And the next day I put even more on. And now I find myself just wanting it more. And looking at my poor little sample wondering what am I going to do? The only thing I don't like is the staying power is sooooo not there. Sad Sad Sad..because I could walk along smelling this on myself all day long. It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT smell like an old lady rose, which is what one might think of something that smells so pure. Its beautiful and clean and fresh and dreamy and luscious.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

A typical Cartier fragrance, although I was rather disappointed by what it should have been the icon of the Cartier male fragrances. The sweet and fruity notes are not bad, but the overall scent is just too cold, diminishing the great potential of its high quality ingredients.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

A great fragrance, I think it has the best usage of spices ever. The opening has a lovely fresh-spicy scent (I can smell the pepper immediately, it's not necessarily a mid-note ingredient), while the warm drydown is a pure joy. A must have.

ahmedshawky's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

One of the best scents ever. Dry, clean, sexy, classy, and long lasting. It is hard to find here in the US. I'm thinking of making this my signature scent for winter and fall. As usual it is difficult to find a comparable quality scent for summer/spring (well, maybe Eau Sauvage?!).

12 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Anthony87's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Very sweet, EXTREMELY potent at first but once it dies down it smells great. You really have to try it on your skin to get an idea though, because you wont get all the notes on a tester card. Definitely not something you'd wear for your daily in the Australian summer though, its far too sweet and strong for that. Apply it sparingly the first few wears otherwise you will give yourself a headache; if over-applied its quite cloying, so you need to experiment a little to find out what works with your skin. Some days it will last 9 hours on me, some days only 1 or 2.

On my skin, I get a big blast of lemon at first mixed with berries, then once it dries a little, you definately get the praline mixed with berries, and after about 30 mins (I have quite dry & absorbent skin so things settle to their 'base' on me very quickly) I get berries mixed with patchoulli and a very slight 'woodyness.' The main standout is definately the berries, giving the scent its sweetness. Also, the top notes smell ALOT like Light Blue (the female version!) by D & G, so if your significant other likes it get them to consider that for themselves. Once they both settle they are entirely different though

2 thumbs up, just be careful applying it, you don't want to choke your partner!

Anthony87's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

If you like light blue, but want a males version, try Black XS by Paco Rabanne - its actually designed by the same person, and the top notes are very similar, but the dry downs are entirely different.

That said, I'll agree with the others. Theres nothing wrong with this scent, but theres also nothing that sets it apart either. But some people want that, and thats OK - but you will get alot more attention and alot more self satisfaction from the thousands upon thousands more varied, outgoing, vivacious and delightful products being peddled by other companies.

Hiris by Hermès

A friend bought me this fragrance when I was entering graduate school and she was moving across the country. Whenever I smell it I think of that bittersweet transition in life. I wore Hiris nearly everyday for 3 years. Like churning up the irises in the garden to seperate them, it is green, warm, and rich with an undeniable freshness. It will always be dear to my heart...

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

I just don't love this one like I thought I would. Ah...the search for the most wearable tuberose continues for me.

It reminds me of Children's Motrin, the liquid, at first. Fruity...pleasent. The tuberose and vanilla make a nice enterance in the drydown, but it is very soft, close to the skin, and the whole composition seems to sit very flat on me. The spice remains for quite a while. Pleasent...I will keep my sample and wear it casually. It just dosn't have the ooomph or sex appeal that I am demanding of my fragrances lately.

Notes are listed as:
    black currant bud, peach blossom, jasmine, tuberose, vanilla, tonka bean, Yemenese incense

Lea by Lea St Barth

I have on Lea "Extreme". It is a "mmmmmm" frarance for me. A pure comfort scent to wear snuggled up on a Sunday morning. This is not a perfume that I could feel dressed in. It is fuzzy slipper fare.

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

I tried this before I knew I liked chypres, so it is like a gateway fragrance for me. I tend to dislike topnotes in general, as many tend to be overly citrusy, fake, or just too "loud". AM was none of those things. I found that is was a very interesting mixture of fresh, floral, and woody notes that was suprisingly wearable. Now I know that I love Mitsouko and Chypre Rouge more, but I did like experiencing this fragrance, and like it much more than the other Givenchy's I've tried.

Madame X by Ava Luxe

This fragrance is a staple in my wardrobe and it always draws attention. It is a clean but hot, complex animalitic that is uniquely feminine without being sweet.

Madame X is the mysterious, seductive woman that everyone wants to come to their party. Men love her, women envy her, and she could give a damn.

Hiris by Hermès