Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

Heartwood's avatar

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I was sure I wouldn't like this fragrance because the bottle is just too cute and I don't do too cute. I even avoided it as I was expecting yet another sweet, fruity floral, but I was pleasantly surprised. The sweetness is well balanced by grapefruit and overall it's a very fresh, pleasant scent. It's still too young for me; however, I think I'll suggest it to my niece.

Clemmie's avatar

Le Dix by Balenciaga

I love this, it's classic, sophisticated, full and vibrant, and by god you really know you're wearing a perfume! I really couldn't compare this with Chanel no. 5 - other than to say it's HEAPS better.

No. 5 by Chanel

A CLASSIC !!!

No.5 is a true (and maybe the only) classic that really stood the test of time. It's almost like a synonym for perfume and sooner or later everybody becomes a fan of this one.
    It's outstanding and unconventional because of the aldehydes but also very sexy and adorable thanks to the florals in it. It has a perfect balance and is noticeable immediately, but not importunate.
    Much can be said and will be said about "Chanel No.5", and there will be lovers and haters, but it's definitely in a class of it's own!
    Even if you don't like the fragrance, you have to love the bottle.
    I love Coco a little bit more, but that's just a matter of taste, and it doesn't increase the importance and beauty of No.5

(I would prefer the EdT on a woman, because it seems a little sweeter, but however it should be applied sparingly.)

Coco by Chanel

A MASTERPIECE !!!

Coco is my favorite female fragrance. It is sweet (somehow oriental), flowery, spicy and woody at the same time, very sexy and incredibly feminine!
    Sometimes i think that i can smell a hint of mandarin and rose, but besides that it is almost impossible (at least for me) to smell another single ingredient.
    It is a very elegant and noticeable scent of hight quality, very seductive and it will immediately draw attention.
    It also has a strong personality (that means it encases you with a certain aura) and i won't recommend this to a woman under the age of 25, or anyone who doesn't want to be in the spotlight.

A woman who wears Coco is divine, sexy and fascinating. A woman who doesn't wear Coco still has to proof that she's divine, sexy and fascinating ;-)

(If you should like Coco but prefer a little lighter scent, try Coco Mademoiselle.)

Allure Homme by Chanel

SOLID !

Allure is a very nice fragrance, which starts cool and fresh but ends warm and woody.
    It is very modern but also very classy and of high quality (like all Chanel fragrances, if you like them or not).
    Compared to his older brothers (especially to Antaeus end Egoiste), Allure is very shy and relative easy to wear. It is one of those scents with which you can't go wrong, but also one that will not attract attention immediately.
    It's just a good companion, that will please the crowd.

If you are looking for a really nice scent that you can wear for any occasion, this one is definitely for you!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

INCREDIBLE !!!

D&G Pour Homme is one of the very few fragrances that everybody seems to love (or at least like).
    It starts fresh (lemon) but not too fresh. It is bitter (mandarine), but not too bitter. It becomes woody but not too woody, and there is a hint of tobacco in it (but not too much).
    I think its this fine balance that makes D&G Pour Homme so likeable. It's also very masculine but that doesn't seem to bother.
    All the perfumers should learn a lesson from this one. D&G wasn't (or at least didn't try) to be mainstream like all those aqua's and cool's out there on the market. But it became very popular anyway, just by trying to smell different and somehow special.

But nothing is perfect! The only thing that annoys me and bars me from using this one is the fact, that there are so many people out there who use this one too (that's the same problem with Jean Paul Gaultier's "Le Male"). So you'll feel really good with D&G Pour Homme, but not really special!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

ATTRACTIVE!

"Le Male" is really a wonderful and exceptional scent. It is sweet, spicy, flowery and very feminine but at the same time also very strong and masculine.
    I can't imagine of any scent that smells similar to this one.
    The main notes of Le Male are mint, lavender and vanilla, but somehow Le Male is so overpowering, that it is really difficult for me to smell one of those ingredients.

The best time to use Le Male seems to be cool weather or evening.

The worst thing with Le Male is the fact, that so many people use it (and use it wrong) even when it does not seem to fit them very well. That keeps me from using this one.
    If you should like Le Male (like I do) then PLEASE apply it sparingly! That will make a far better impression.

Regis Philbin's avatar

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Perfect for class, bumming around, or just lounging!

Islandwriter's avatar

Kiton Black by Kiton

Reminds me a lot of Bvlgari Black, with the rubber hint.Very nice smell, but much like the pop frag's. Nice drydown.

claser3406's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

a really sweet, soft and warm scent. it reminds me of candy. A really fun scent!

claser3406's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

the bottle is great, and the scent is mysterious. I dont believe that it is a scent for everyone but I believe that it is definately a good scent with descent longevity. It may be a "safe" scent but there is something that I find about the scent to be very intriguing. A definate must try in my book.

beau_mode_arome's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I must admit, of the three Caron men's frags I've tried, pour un homme was initially the most disappointing. I wasn't a fan of the powdery vanilla drydown. But after persisting with my generous sample from Les Senteur in London, I found it growing on me. When we moved into the colder months, I found that once the lavender note had faded, there was an animalic undertone to the vanilla which came out in lower temperatures and it tempered the sweet powderiness.

A few months on and pour un homme is my favourite, whilst I have grown a little tired of Yatagan and particularly the 3rd Man.

Yes, this scent is perhaps a little old fashioned, but it oozes an understated sophisticated class and is a comfort scent. Brilliant

beau_mode_arome's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I find it strange: so many reviewers refer to this fragrance as wild, untamed, in-your-face, rough, unwearable, and so on.

On my skin, Yatagan tends to go winey, a little like the initial fermentation smell you get when grapes start to go manky in hot early autumn sun. Then it dries down to a fairly standard woody scent, with a hint of the smokiness of Gucci pour homme.

To my nose, this doesn't come across as wild and daring as people make out. Although, in 1976, I could imagine this being a bit outre. Someone said that Yatagan is wild and uncouth while Knize ten is a gentleman, or something along those lines, but to be honest, Knize 10 was the surprise package for me: a blast of raw leather that knocked my socks off, and not necessarily in a nice way.

I certainly don't mind it, but I don't crave it enough to want to buy a whole bottle.

drvrs's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

I appreciate the history of this scent... but...it wore me, and wore me out. I felt smothered and choked by a leather-clad biker in a sleazy bar, tables and floors stained with decades of spilled booze...

lookingglass's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I tried to love this, but I just don't. Muget, hyacinth, and lily of the valley (? or something very like it), are just not doing it for me. It's a bit too sour, cloying, really. I like the orris and woods part, it is powdery, almost incensy, but overall, I just feel like I am wearing someone else's perfume.

lookingglass's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

play's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

It's incredible that how rose is turned into a virile masculine scent. It starts up with a punch of rose and after 10min it fades off a bit. After that however, a delicious hint of rose stays with the remainder of the frag. It is sensual, seducing, charming and masculine.

17 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2008)

L'homme vert's avatar

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Several years ago I had the good fortune of being able to purchase a 1 fl. oz Parfum flacon of 'First'. I urge devotees of this classic fragrance to invest in the higher concentration, you will not be disappointed. A very complex blend of rich florals, fruit buds &, subdued greens. The aldehydic elements in this formulation seem less obvious when compared to a slight harshness in the other concentrations. This perfume is pure liquid gold and worthy of indulgence.
    Very feminine & totally sophisticated !

I had a similar experience with Chanel 19, a friend presented me with a rare 2.5 fl.oz 'Parfum' spray many years ago as No.19 had been one of my all time favorites in the 'EDT'. After comparing both concentrations my love affair with this 'juice' was well and truly sealed. This particular friend owned a boutique perfumery and was aware of my preferences regarding fragrance. It's almost impossible to use the lower strengths now exclusively.
    Layering is definitely the way to go.

Sadly Extrait's & Parfum's are becoming so much harder to source these days, 'First' is a great fragrance although it's not my Number One.
    Patou 'Mille' ! ! ! ! ! Well that's another story . . . .

17 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2008)

Vivek's avatar

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Argh, being part Indian, this smells like my Grandma's kitchen used to in the opening, not bad by any means, a well blended, balanced fragrance (a bit more sandalwood would be nice :D) but nonetheless, too spicy, in an Indian Curry sort of way. Not my thing, rather go for something different!

Student X's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I really enjoyed this, the opening was pleasant and strong, after 2 hours i felt it was going a bit talcum powdery on me, but that note then died a little and i was left with a fantastic drydown. It must be m skin chemistry but this lasted very very well on me, about 8 hours, (obviously closing in a bit more, but the smell was preserved well). perhaps in warm weather it could be a bit cloying, but i would deem it suitable for nightime and evening.

Student X's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

While I found this highly generic, I found it fairly competent and inoffensive if used sparingly.

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

The first notes of this perfume made me nervous. I felt like it was designed for innocent virgin girls. But as soon as the rose and sandalwood took over, I became aware of how sophisticated this fragrance is. It is delicate but manly at the same time. It is a wonderful achievement and can surely be considered a classic. Thumbs up.

misstral's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Mmmmm...this is the perfect smell for me-very unique and pleasent....very romantic and with it's own character.
    The notes are perfect ballanced - top anise notes, perfect morphing into the sweet base...I wear this perfume with big plasure...and people very often ask me what kind of perfume I wear...

JackTwist's avatar

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm afraid I cannot be enthusiastic over this blend. It should be called Sandal Oriental, as I only detect the Sandalwood, no Vetiver, no Iris, no Licorice - the other ingredients according to the Lutens site. This is a decent Sandalwood, long lasting and gentle, but in no way unique. One can find the same scent in a dozen incarnations out there for half the price of this one.

I am a vetiver fan and from time to time will try a new one, but always come back to my two favorites, the Guerlain and the Etro.

17 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2013)

kewart's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Ivoire is refined, creamy elegance with an edge.
    It's almost impossible to describe the notes - they are so many and varied - but the sum of the parts is extremely well-crafted and a joy to wear.
    This scent smells wonderful on fur, by the way, (fake of course!) and seems to demand to be worn with pearls and a beautifully tailored suit, yet with sexy, silk underwear and stockings underneath! I love it's green, haughty,
    naughty air.

Amarige by Givenchy

An explosive flower bomb that came around long before the Viktor & Rolf frag of that same name. As has been amply noted below, this is potent stuff, so do apply with caution. (The edp is easily the equivalent of most perfumes -- a double spritz or daub should suffice.)

Very green and fruity in its opening, with a luscious tuberose and jasmine filled heart that soon gives way to soft musk and sweet spices.

Many detractors, yes, but many more fanatical followers. (Myself included.)

Ginger Essence by Origins

Imagine Happy with more ginger and less grapefruit, all on a bed of amber and light sandalwood. The ginger is strong and zesty, but not strong enough to keep the longevity where it needs to be. (Expect fairly frequent re-applications with this one.)

Beautifully blended, yes, but (again) the longevity sucks. Moderate sillage. Easily unisex, but leans just a hair toward the feminine.

Thumbs up, but with the things above duly noted.

Déclaration by Cartier

Fairly spartan pyramid, with a citrusy/woodsy opening and a woody/spicy dry-down.

Cumin haters and cardamom foes need not apply, btw -- just be forewarned. (As with Rive Gauche pour Homme, Kingdom and other frags, these two spices can have a "sweating Pakistani cabby after having eaten curry" effect on some wearers' skins.)

I think of Déclaration as TdH's predecessor. This is odd, esp. since Déclaration came out at a time (a decade ago) when the diluted little Tommy Boys ruled the roost.

Spezie de Medici by I Profumi di Firenze

Hmmm -- I think we used to make pomanders like this in Sister Elizabeth's first grade class. We stuck cloves in oranges and then let the oranges dry. We then gave these clove-studded oranges to our mothers. The smell was marvelous, you bet, but for FAR less moolah.

Sweet Absinthe by Ava Luxe

I've only smelled absinthe once, and I remember it having been far more licorice-y/anise-y than this. What I'm picking up here is more caraway-ish in nature, possibly with hints of some green herbal note -- lovage, perhaps, or maybe even tarragon? Would love to see the pyramid on this odd little beast. There's a definite streak of mint here, as well.

Don't know quite what to make of this one, really. It goes on smelling very medicinal and quite herbal (in a savory way -- think caraway) and soon dries down to a sweet minty smell with woody undertones.

Not unpleasant at all. In fact, I rather like it. Thumbs up? Yes, especially after having smelled another herbal concoction -- Skarb -- this past week and having found it much less pleasant. Still, this one is a definite "try it before ya buy it" frag, no question about that.