Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

ayesha's avatar

Kiton Men by Kiton

The man I'm dating swears by Kiton and as a woman, I love this scent on him. It's sexy and charming; both masculine, but warm, and inviting. I think the citrus/pineapple top notes makes it rather fresh and chill. I think it's great for a man who wants to come off layed-back, slightly off beat, and approachable. This fragrance doesn't drive me wild (like Lolita Lempicka) but it does make me quite happy. I would suggest it for a man from 22-40.

New West for Her by Aramis

I used to wear New West when it was still available in Europe. Despite being told once in a nightclub that I 'smelled like oysters(the guy was not even trying to be nasty!), I very much loved it and would definitely buy it again if it were on the market.

Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica by Acqua di Parma

I love lavender but I hated this rendition. Sickly, cheap smelling. I was horribly disappointed, particularly since I like other Acqua di Parma scents.

Jicky by Guerlain

The all-time classic I go back to. To me, Jicky is like a long-time partner whom I know very well, who suits me perfectly, but whose familiarity I need to escape from time to time. The best homage to lavender I have ever smelled. However, if you want to acquire it, DO NOT go for the EDT, which is a real disappointment.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Elegant vetiver, but a little too much on the masculine side for me. However, a definite classic.

L'Autre by Diptyque

The terribly erotic scent of an armpit in the morning after a spicy dinner... Not quite there with l'Autre, but the erotic touch is there. One of my favourites... but everyone else around me hates it.

Eau d'Elide by Diptyque

Not overly sweet at all! The herbs definitely come across and contrast beautifully with the orange while complementing interestingly the lavender. The Mediterranean in Winter and Summer at the same time.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Longlasting on me, without a doubt. I preferred it to Un Jardin en Mediterranee, whose fig note had a cat-urine undertone I disliked. However, I'll need to try this one again. I loved Un Jardin sur le Nil in the Summer, my best friend wears it very well. To me, a feminine fragrance.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

A ray of sunshine for my 2007-08 winter. A very good fig scent, and I love the citrus that surround it. The scent is more complex than I expected it to be, but not long lasting enough. However, even when I go a little overboard with the quantity, I only get compliments. That could be the downside...

18 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2008)

Sportpsycho's avatar

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

In the store i felt it smelles quite unique and a little sharp to the nose but i liked it. I bought a big bottle at perfumania and once applied to my skin it smelled old and stuffy like an unclean room full of wet towels. Im not totally bagging on the fragrance because i felt it i was nice in the store. It could very well have just be its reaction on my skin that gave it this smell that never did dry down or fade. It lasted awhile so that would be a plus if it smelled nice. Bottom line is you form your own opinion on what you think smells good but just please try it on yourself before buying it as i am now stuck with a 60 dollar paperweight.

JP1's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

absolute quality! my best purchase for over a year

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

As with most things Guerlain it's not cheap, but I feel it's well worth it.

Like Eau D'Orange Verte and other eaux I own, this is for when I want something feather-light that doesn't skimp on quality. Particularly good for days where I may want to wear something later on.

It's not likely to turn anyone's world upside down, but for those who want to experience a classic eau de cologne this is one of the better places to start.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

...And of course it's discontinued. Not always shorthand for quality, but definitely true in this case.

Well, I should be grateful I had the opportunity and sniff and wear this wonderful stuff. Spicy, mossy, leafy (the autumnal analogies are dead-on), rooty and yes, even a bit of dirt and rot clinging to the edges. Nonetheless smooth and make-no-mistake masculine to boot. All the more melancholy to my nose now that it's no longer with us.

Glad I got to finally know this one, however late I was to the party. I fully intend to make this little bottle last.

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

Bought it blind and couldn't be happier.

Full-strength 80s fougere in all its big, bold, masculine glory - pass the lavender and don't forget the moss, plus a little soapiness to add a sense of cleanliness to its impressive depth. A solid dose of leather and spices are also included, giving this some personality and dimension to hang with the other big boys from this era. There are still echoes of Azzaro, Tuscany, Drakkar Noir, etc. in here, but Smalto's no mere copycat - it only draws inspiration from the aforementioned before making its own magic, arguably besting some of these classics in the process. I'll never stop using Azzaro Pour Homme and Tuscany (Drakkar's a little overdone in my book), but this one could push its way to the front of the line easily.

With classics like this around, it's almost enough to make you think, "Who needs new releases?" Almost. There are plenty of juices du jour I wouldn't swear off but when I'm fed up with the smell of the status quo, it's nice to know I've got bottles like Smalto Pour Homme to go home to.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

This is really loud, like any supermarket underarm spray. I don't think there's a single natural ingredient in Laguna. Hard-core synthetics. Spray this higher than your knees at your peril. Really saline. In fact, so salty hypertensives should take care! On others it smells above average, but I shy away from wearing it.

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

A hidden gem. ESCAPE never became as popular as OBSESSION or ETERNITY, but it is a great fragrance. It opens with a burst of freshness and it's drydown of sandalwood really kicks in. It's important to note that the fresh notes remain past it's drydown. I have had good longevity and sillage which is important to me. I love ETERNITY but it has no longevity on me whatsoever. What a pity. Wish they would do an "intense" or "extreme" version. I do get lots of complements when I wear ESCAPE. I have made it my signature fragrance.

tvlampboy's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

GIT and MI here, with no hint (that I can see) of SMW.

Not my favorite among the Bond No. 9 frags, no, but that's really because of personal "frag type" preferences and not because of the frag itself.

Vibert's right, btw, about the longevity -- it does outlast others in this family, and features a more interesting dry-down as well.

tvlampboy's avatar

Bijan Black for Men by Bijan

A boring little floral for men -- nothing particularly "black" about it. Sweet vanilla is sort of synthetic. Snore.

Michael Picasso's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I must agree with the wisdom of by 2537.
    A beautiful review, & right on the money! Spot on review!!!

Tabac Blond by Caron

This is all about class, it is so chic that it stands out.
    I feel I put on the courage of the flapper girls of the 20th when I wear it. It's comforting and audacious at the same time. Dark,unpresentable,overly and overlt chic.It is that tipe of fragrance that tells, well Baby I am who I am, like it or leave it, but if you like it, we could be...
    nonchalance brought to excellence. Tabac Blond is perfection in balance but with that little touch of neglection that doesn't permit it to be overdone. It is like the french mentality. They do a marvellous coat with the most delicious hand-embroidery you have ever seen... and then let one button hang lose...
    is is all about doing something extraordinary and then leave a touch of it hang lose ,just as if sth too precise would disturb the grandeur. if it all was perfect, it would not be chich any longer.
    I adour this

Rose by Caron

I agree, similar to or et noir, but fresher. it seems rose is the fresh dewy bouquet of roses gathered in the morning, or et noir seems the same bouquet after your put it in a little vase and the roses start warming up, added a scent of roses when they start getting too warm and have this kind of sweetish overwhelming smell of sth overlived

Or et Noir by Caron

rich, voluptiously rich, smooth,dark coloured rose. sitting so dense in its bouquet. warm,and not one of those cold english roses. a rose being sensual and classy.
    the only rose I would waer until now.
    velvety

Pour Un Homme by Caron

sexy, in the most understated,delicate and yet so headturning way.
    It has class, that kind of taken back elegance that should be worn by someone just as discrete but elegant and fine in his manners. a real gentleman

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I use to love it(age22),but now that I am older(age34) I lean toward more niche fragrance houses now. If you want a Mans Aquatic go out and smell Erolfa by Creed. because this was once a favorite of mine,I will give it a thumbs up!

cK one by Calvin Klein

This worked for me at launch.I just happened to sniff in a department store and its evident that my taste has changed since I was 21, but over all still a decent run of the mill Mass Market scent. I'll give it a thumbs up

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This is a good fragrance, but you have to be careful not to overspray. once i figured out that it only took 2 sprays max, my environment became a better place:-). This a good everyday scent

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

One of the best citrus scents of all time! I wore this about 10 years ago and my use it again this summer, but if you want a good scent that is a stand alone fragrance. this is it!

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Classic!!!
    Try just using the body lotion. it will be more than enough!.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre D'Hermes is a real Beast. It's totally different which is good; and because it is an exclusive scent I reign supreme here in MississippiI(LOL). I did not like this at 1st whiff ,but went back to it 5/6 months later and I'm kickin myself for blowing this off for so long. The patchoulie & fruit mix is really workin well in combination. Try it. I know you'll like it!

19 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2008)

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Versace Man by Versace

Great fragrance! The "Man" line by Versace proved to be wonderful!
    I found the base notes of "Man" quite feminine, although the tabacco leaves are very evident...

Wonderful from the very start... the pepper note is very very strong at the beggining, but soon fades out... leaving a delicious combination of tabacco and kashmir..