Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Sexy ...as Bvlgari himself said--a tribute to woman, a tribute to femininity. Clean and fresh, not at all powdery on my wife's skin, rather more like silk.
    Here is a sweet feminine perfume with dignity.

No. 22 by Chanel

The top notes remind me of Chanel No. 5 so much, but it becomes something else altogether. I prefer the EdT to the perfume, as it is lighter and sexier. It is sexy and dignified at the same time. A true lady. It is a wonderful scent, but the perfume version is a bit too powerful, handle the perfume version with caution--don't drench yourself in it please!

Cabotine by Grès

I was terribly put off by the negative reviews here and almost did not buy a bottle of Cabotine for my wife. Someone said it smelled moldy on their skin and I found that to be enough to make me think it was a nasty scent. I returned to basenotes later however and found many reviews that were postive. I decided to trust them and my wife tested in for a few days--it was lovely from start to finish! We were amazed by it! It is the incense note I think, blended with the carnation, because we also love Caron's Parfum Sacre. I give this scent an enthusiastic thumbs up.

10th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2008)

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

What a nice peachy scent--so clean, and yet powdery in a good way. very romantic scent , rose and peach and heliotrope blended so well... just delicious.

I don't get any citrus or pineapple at all from this.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Tresor is one of my favorite perfumes --it smells heavenly on my wife--she wears it well and the rose apricot combination are divine. Now my sister in law tried to wear it and it smelled terrible on her--bitter fruit. but then, different skin types, different reactions anyone knows that! --of course she is going to say the scent is a failure, simply because it fails her--well, it works wonderfully on many others, so it is something to try --on my wife it is a soft seductive perfume. The perfumer is a genius, as they created a scent that works for most people. I feel sorry for those that this scent doesn't work for, but please realize you play a role.

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

Mrs. D is ready for a new bottle-- very warm sexy frag. Love it.

10th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2008)

SirSlarty's avatar

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

This is an ugly smell. Peppers ground in oil? I don't know what to make of this. It's like some kind of air that was steamed off from the industrial section of town.

Mattsanzen's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

I don't understand alot of the negative feedback for this one. It starts with a sharp mix of floral and fruit notes and dries down to become a very smooth musky, deep and brooding fragrance. I think of a somewhat port or wine like note comes out in it as well. I feel this is a very good alternative to those that don't care for Burberry London, given that on my skin London turns into a huge cloying sour brick wall.

Mattsanzen's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

The first time I wore this I was very turned off by the initial bomb of lavender. All i could smell was lavender, very sour, harsh, and I didn't think the 3rd man and I were going to get along. This dissipated after a few minutes, however, and I was treated to a wonderfully floral bouquet. Later that day, I took a moment to smell myself and I literally was blown away. This fragrance is easily 2 different colognes in one. It went from being very floral to being wonderfully woodsy and spicy on my skin. Simply amazing.

Vivek's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Not too keen on the top notes, but then it gets dead sexy. The longevity is just how I like it, 6ish hours on my skin. Sillage could be improved, dying to try the improved version.

Originally got a sample, went back the next day to buy 50ml, they were out of stock though, my lovely SA gave me 2 4ml miniatures for free :D!

Joe_Frances's avatar

Royal Briar by Atkinsons

This is a beautiful warm and bracing woody fragrance that is both somewhat familiar and yet hard to pin down. What is that smell? Does it remind me of Dad- - is it something from long ago that I used to wear? Or is it rather something really new and hip? And what are those incredible notes? I smell wood, spice, some subtle floral and something like cough medicine all perfectly blended together. The cough medicine thing gives it that bracing edge that keeps it from getting too tame or cloying. It is not a loud fragrance, but it's not washed out or too reticent either. This is rich but subtle with very decent sillage. It's probably not going to appeal to a lot of kids (i.e., anyone under 30) but if you like to smell good and manly, this is right up there. I think of Clark Gable as well as Ronnie Reagan. While Royal Briar is by no means dated, it has something of a late 1950s-early 60s vibe, which would make it just right for anyone who likes that era, particularly those who like the look of Thom Browne clothes. Men who wouldn't normally wear fragrances may very well like this, and wear it proudly. Carful on pouring out, this comes only in a splash, and it comes out fast! You bring the substance, this helps with the style.

Joe

PS: At $25 for 4oz, this is an all out steal guys, go get it!

11th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th April, 2008)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Fleurs des Caraïbes by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The notes here include:

Bergamot, Melon, Heliotrope leaves, Hibiscus, Ylang, Freesia, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Flamboyant wood, Vanilla, Amber, Musk

Wow, what a list! When I close my eyes and smell Flowers Of The Caribbean...I smell vanilla. Lots of it. Beyond that, there is a floral mix that merges well with that potent vanilla. It almost has a "Guerlain-ish" tone! A very likeable summer/resort fragrance. A CSP creation that doesn't smell like dessert...nice change!

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Ambergris and cinnamon together -- yum! This is a rich and old fashioned frag that -- more than any other Creed I can think of -- is definitively a "love it or hate it" number. (And I love it.)

The ambergris is so strong (think Youth Dew) and the whole effect so animalic yet ancient that I really can't effectively describe either in a few words.

The amber, btw, doesn't come in until considerably later in the frag's progression. The cinnamon (canelle) you smell throughout, but more so later on.

Try before you buy. Try before you buy. Try before you buy.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Austere? Exactly the adjective I was going to use! Along with Yatagan, Barbier des Isles and Greyland, this is one of those sweet-free, spice-heavy frags that epitomizes masculinity. (No Lutens-esque sugar cones and treacles here!)

Citrusy, dry, coniferous . . . pure stiff upper lip stuff here. Little or no warmth, though -- this frag remains as cool and reserved on the skin as almost anything I can imagine.

Big thumbs up for an English classic.

Castile by Penhaligon's

A rose heavy (but not rose dominant) frag for those who generally hate rose heavy frags. No, the emphasis here is a clean and fresh neroli that bursts out of the bottle and puts a smile on your face. This is sunny Spain, soft and warm and romantic -- don't go in expecting Catholic gloom and doom in the Escorial.

n.b.: This one wears very close to the skin and produces relatively low sillage; furthermore, its longevity is lower than that of other Penhaligons frags. Still, a big thumbs up for classic, balanced composition.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very old fashioned but straightforward take on citrus and vetiver, and (blessedly) free of that MPG "green" house note that so dominates and often ruins many other MPG frags for me.

Very clean, very pure, very unisex, very refreshing.

Not a frag I'll be pining for, no, but one I'll gladly enjoy when I encounter it.

Royal English Leather by Creed

If Knize Ten is all gasoline, Teutonic sweat and raw leather, then REL is all gorgeous tanned leather (saddle quality) and beautiful English florals. Creamy and snobbish and luxurious stuff -- I can easily see how it's weathered two centuries plus.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

A far better blend of vanilla and lavender than Caron pour un Homme, IMHO. Where Caron's rendition can easily become cloying, RSL remains beautiful and complex throughout its dry-down.

The clove adds just the right amount of spice to balance things out, and the amber and sandalwood in the base notes ensure a warm finish.

Damn near perfect.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Not a tobacco lover? Steer clear then, my friend, steer clear.

This is some masculine, tobacco-laden, commanding juice here, and far better than its modern Millesime namesake -- far better.

Definitely a try-before-you-buy kind of frag, though. I can't see but maybe one in ten liking this frag, especially in this age of aquatic hermaphrodites on the frag market.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Good? Yes. Great? No. I really can't help but like this take on tobacco and ginger, but the original Tabarome is simply so much better. The folks at Creed oughtn't have tried to tame Tabarome -- they should have just made this new one and called it something else.

It's a good frag, yes, but it pales in comparison to the manly British original.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Green and musky and slightly medicinal all at once, with a strong sillage that isn't to be believed from a non-Millesime Creed.

I'm very fond of cypress-heavy frags, but know that not everyone will be as enamored of them. Do yourself a favor and order a sample of this one first.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I have to agree with Randolph314 on this one, folks. As much as I like New Haarlem, I like Rochas Man much better, esp. for the vast price difference.

Stow the snob appeal and grab for Rochas Man.

I'm going to give this puppy a thumbs up rating, but only out of deference to its almost identical fraternal twin, Rochas Man.

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

A handsome Continental fragrance with top quality ingredients and possibly addictive qualities. (Perhaps the aoud/oudh in the heartnotes?) Whatever it is, I've not been able to stop sniffing my hand all day!

Interesting use of pepper here -- I almost mistook its slight piquancy for cedar at first. As it dries down, though, it mingles with the vetiver, the oudh and the balsam in wonderful harmony. Grassy, spicy, woody all at once.

A definite keeper.

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Vibert's posted a top drawer review of this baby below -- I especially like his description of the "sandalwood and vanilla pillow" on which the opoponax rests.

Rich, Byzantine stuff -- the kind of warm and sweet fragrance you can curl up with on a cold winter night. It has a real Eastern incense vibe going on, and also something vaguely gourmand (must be the vanilla).

I for one can't imagine wearing this stuff in warm weather -- it's the olfactory equivalent of winter comfort food.

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Ivy by Marc Jacobs

Papery and green, indeed. A really pretty, definitively unisex eau de cologne that makes up in beauty what it lacks in longevity and sillage.

I think that benbenrn has the right idea -- why limit this stuff to flesh wear only? At $40 for 10 oz. bottles at Marshalls, you can certainly afford to use this as linen spray, air freshener, eau de cologne -- whatever you like.

Ginger Milk by Thymes

A handsome scent in both the frag version and the candle/air freshener versions. Ginger without the sharp edges -- just bright and sparkling and sweet. Unisex? Yes, IMHO. Some guys might have a hard time pulling it off, but only if they're the hardcore, Yatagan/Aramis only types.

sucrose's avatar

Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire

This fragrance really highlights the osmanthus note beautifully. I have a small vial of osmanthus absolute, and the smell reminds me of the skin of an overripe apricot—very warm and fruity with a rich leathery base. Comparing the two, OI captures the osmanthus well but lightens the richness of the flower with tea and a bit of citrus, while leather and musk in the base punctuate the natural leathery tones. The result more sparkling and nuanced, but very true to the innocent sensuality of the flower.

amandasurbey's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I bought this without sampling (well, actually, I put it on my wish list and the Spouse bought it for me).

I like it very much, but it isn't very long lasting on me. My only complaint, but a big one.

It's sophisticated, subtle, grown up. Nothing cutting edge nor avantgard, but I have other fragrances that do that.

odysseusm's avatar

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Fragrance notes: Black pepper, Chili pepper, Oak, Cedar, Musk, Chinese Moss
    Thanks to Ayala (below) for these fragrance notes, it is hard to find concrete information about the Hermèssence line. I agree with comments which characterize Poivre Samarcande as delicate, subtle, and transparent. I would add to the list of terms: light, mild, restrained, low key, barely there. There’s a nice citrus sort of opening, followed by a light spicy wood accord. There’s a fresh herbal note that I like, probably due to lime leaves (which I read somewhere are in here). In my opinion, the pepper is very muted. For a scent named “Poivre” I was expected something spicier, with more fire or tangy bite. I guess it is attractive, and it nicely sits quite close to the skin. But there’s not enough oomph or distinction here to make me interested. Not problematic... just not wow.

11th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2008)

rickie's avatar

Fendi (original) by Fendi

I wore this for awhile, even tho I am a floral person, I found it to be really nice and spicy! Even tho I am a floral person at heart, I love the smell of cherry tobacco in a pipe or the smell of a tobacco shop at the mall. mmmmmm