Fragrance Reviews from January 2008

rickie's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

carl999, I think if you like it, you should wear it. Me...I don't like this on me, but strangely enough, I like some of the other orientals, especially Imari, by Avon. I just wish they would make this in a strong perfume. I like Cinnabar, its ok.

rickie's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

FROZEN APPLE? what is that?? I agree with lavenderose.
    I searched frags with Tuberose because I wanted to see which ones pop up. I have already reviewed Fracas, which I use to wear in the early 70's. What has happened to Fracas????? Burning rubber is what I smell. Well, back to Paris, Brittany, etc. I guess the exception would be David Beckham, that smelled pretty good, but I haven't worn it, so I dont know.

jrd4t's avatar

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

I loved this on first spray, then I was confused and not sure how I felt. There's something in it that you don't expect from what seems to be a safe opening. However, I'm back to loving it. It's bright, clean, and refreshing while still being warm and familiar. It has the familiar Bond base that I enjoy quite a bit and doesn't overpower the room. Good stuff!

virgo75's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

It's about 11am on a hot, humid day somewhere in India. There is a beautiful woman going about her business. She has already bathed that morning and is dressed in a traditional sari so her skin is clean but she's already beginning to perspire lightly from the heat. She did a deep oiling of her hair with ghee(clarified butter), put it into a long rope braid that reaches her hips, and has decorated it with some blossoms of Jasmine and Gardenia. This is *exactly* what Fracas smells like to me. ON me, it is not nearly as strong as so many comment on. Nothing is strong on me. But it is lovely, exotic, unique, and long lasting.

JackTwist's avatar

Violetta by Penhaligon's

Sweet, sweet, feminine violet. Definitely for the ladies and not a crossover scent for men. Luckily, men have Trumper's superb Ajaccio Violet cologne to fall back on. For those who love violets, this is a beguiling, strong, true scent.

6 notes:

Top: Citrus, Geranium
    Middle: Violet
    Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk

Islandwriter's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

This is amazing stuff! One of the best I've had the pleasure to try. I purchased a set of 'leather' samples from The Perfumed Court and this was one. It took me a nanosecond to find the best deal on the internet and order. Wow. If you like leather, smoke or near it. GETTHISSTUFF!

jenson's avatar

India India

KL Homme by Lagerfeld

I find KL Homme & Lagerfeld Classic to have this copperish overtones to it which gives off a very metallic/aldehydic opening accords..theres definitely rose, rosewood, dirtied up leather and hints of vanillic sweetness & cinnamon. These scents smell better when they settle a little (maybe after half hour..? ) and yeh, do not overspray.

11th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2009)

Journey's avatar

Blue by Ralph Lauren

Hello, lol! I'm a guy who accidentally bought this thinking it was a cologne (on the box, it does not mention perfume, or anything feminine), and I must say, I wasn't surprised by a couple of the reviewers mentioning it's cologne like properties.

To be real, I didn't know it was a perfume until about 2 months later, because on me, it smells like a cologne, or maybe a very well done unisex scent that really leans toward the male side like CKbe does.

With that said, it is the best smelling light cologne I've smelled next to CKbe. It is Awesome! Everybody I know loves it on me, and only my girlfriend knows it's a perfume, because I told her (much to her surprise).

Two words. Get it.

~Journey

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A wonderful fragrance! A true classic, this is the hight of timeless elegance. The lemon-citrus opening might be a bit too sharp, but then it settles down to a very warm and smooth scent. Resembling Chanel Pour Monsieur, this complex and sophisticated scent is perfect for formal occasions. Undoubtedly created for gentlemen, this fragrance is suitable for people over 40 years old only.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Boucheron is one of my favourite perfume designers. With Jaipur being the masterpiece of the oriental scents, I had great expectations for this one. I wasn't disappointed, but because it was such different from Jaipur, I realized that I'm not going to wear it at this age. It's very mature and masculine, and also very, very elegant and sophisticated. It is in the same category as other rich and complex classics, such as Armani pour Homme or Chanel pour Monsieur.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

A great fragrance, though not necessarily unisex, it's rather masculine. Alongside Boucheron Jaipur and Rochas Man, the best sweet fragrance. The smoke and rubber scents aren't what you would normally expect, they are very subtle and veiled perfectly in a sweet and warm aroma. The touch of tea is also very noticeable, giving this fragrance a rather poetic allure. The bottle however, is horrible, it looks like it was made by someone who was in a hurry to catch a train and didn't have time to pay any attention to details. I've tried four bottles from different places and all of them were broken. This makes me think that maybe this fragrance turned out to be great by accident. But overall, this is one of the best scents you can find.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

A very nice fragrance for the younger generation, this is perfect for summer wear. The smell of oranges is the best I've encountered so far. It's very citrusy, but not too sharp, very clean and luminous and very... Armani.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Absolutely dreadful!!! It's like smelling a entire candy store condensed in a bottle. Also very, very artificial. I really can't see a man wearing this fragrance.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

One of the best gourmand scents, sweet and edible, but very comfortable and smooth. Not a very pretentious fragrance, I find it suitable for casual wear. Overall, it's very nice, but not as good as Rochas Man.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Pretty good, the sweetness is nice and quite well blended with the other aromas. However, there is something that makes it smell rather dirty and cloying.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This daring oriental fragrance has one of the best mixes of sweet and spicy scents, making it very suitable for autumn and winter. It's not for everyone, as it's very different from all the classic scents, but if you are the person who doesn't want to stick with the bunch and to be "the guy who smells really interesting", this is a great choice.

Pi by Givenchy

The biggest problem isn't that there is too much vanilla in this fragrance, but rather that sometimes it seems that's the only thing there is. However, I still think it's a good fragrance with a great potential that hasn't been used at it's maximum level. This scent is right on the edge of becoming cloyingly sweet, but it manages to stay on the safe side. It's the sweetest bearable and enjoyable perfume. It's warmth not only makes it proper for winter, but actually it's the only season in which you can wear it. Any attempt to wear this perfume in the summer will result in the intoxication of those near you... it's that sweet! However, for colder days this is a good choice.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

The opening has a very nice citrus scent (the grapefruit is dominant and has a very pleasant sweet note), but hen it settles down to a rather artificial smell. There's just too much candy aroma in there, especially for a summer fragrance.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I don't know whether to like this fragrance or not... On one hand it really seems elegant and even refined, on the other hand it's the coldest smell I've ever encountered in a perfume. It's like spraying your refrigerator... That I don't like, I rather enjoy the sweet, warm and balsamic scents that don't give the unpleasant freezing sensation.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A very nice oriental scent. The citrus opening is not at all acrid like in many other fragrances, but very soft and pleasant. The warmth of the fragrance kicks in immediately, giving it a sensual allure. The mid notes become spicier (a characteristic of many Armani perfumes), but not over the top, so that the olive flower remains very noticeable. The blend of the ingredients is just right, making it one of the best Armani fragrances.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Very disappointing, a boring and common marine scent. It's not unwearable, but there's just nothing special about this fragrance at all.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

By far the best Guerlain, this is a highly elegant and sophisticated fragrance. One of the richest and most complex scents, this multi-faced fragrance never ceases to amaze me. Sweet and woody at the same time, it's perfect for a gentleman's signature. A great modern symbol of the legendary House of Guerlain.

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Not a bad fragrance, but not great either. The sweet and smoky notes don't complement each other very good, so that oftentimes it seems too smoky and smother.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Awful! Like Joop!, this one is a candy store in a bottle. I like sweet fragrances, but I don't want to smell like bonbons. The magnetic scent, not a very good idea either, it makes it very artificial.

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

Having read the reviews, I decided to give this fragrance a try. Men was I disappointed!
    The truth is that it really smells like Le Male. However, I am not fond of Le Male at all. That's why Rouge de Jacomo simply doesn't work for me.
    I have to admit a couple of things, though - it lasted really very long on me; and it's quite cheap.
    If you like Le Male, this could be a true revelation for you. For me - thumbs down!

Andy Roddick by Andy Roddick

Since noone has yet written the review for this one, I'll try to be helpful for those who might think about buying it.

Please, stay away from this one!
    It's just too sweet, and that's abou it.
    In one word - terrible!

Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

All I can say is that this fragrance smells nice. The only problem is that it seems to lack a certain character.
    It's just nice - nothing more, nothing less.

lookingglass's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

My grandmother wore this fragrance. It reminds me of her. After she passed, I craved it for myself. I have the dusting powder. Wearing it makes me feel like I am lost in a soft, warm hug. It layers beautifully with everything in my wardrobe. I never want to be without it.

lookingglass's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

24jasper07's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I first tried this a madrid airport and thought it was a bit differnt to most other "chin whiff".
    I think that it is one of the better vetivers and the after shave Gel is really nice too.