Fragrance Reviews from October 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Another hip, mod, up-to-date, "with it", cutting-edge fragrance that IMHO smells like a little old lady's cedar chest filled with cherished memories, such as doilies, ribbon-wrapped letters, pressed flowers and such. I smell the sweetness and the cedar and all I can think of is knitting and the victrola. Maybe I am too retro to be truly modern, but I would run as fast as I could away from this. As John Wayne might have said, "What'a ya kiddin' me?" Considering everything, this could be the signature fragrance of Quentin Crisp, or his ma-,a'

Tiempe Passate by Antonia's Flowers

Antonia's Flowers is a sleepy little niche house that puts forth some gorgeous floral frags, but sadly, this one is not one of my faves from them. The opening is sharp, almost pure rubbing alcohol, but fades fast into a clean and soapy scent. It smells like a fabric softener dryer sheet! This reminds me of a fragrance Avon used to make years ago called Clean Cotton in their comfort scent line...in fact, it smells VERY much like Clean Cotton! If I concentrate hard, I do smell the rose here. With the combination of sage, cedar and vetiver in the base, I feel it would be best highlighted as a masculine floral. As my sample wears on, I find myself tiring of this scent...

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

The sweetest and most flowery of the Tom Ford collection, this orange blossom is fantastic! That tiny little flower opens this frag with a bang, and then a nice little suprise of citrusy lemon joins in for a fresh & bright white floral treat! It gives me the impression of Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien being infused with neroli ~ completely beautiful! Did I mention it is sweet? Even so, it isn't a bit cloying IMO! Excellent sillage and longevity for a citrus/floral. I highly recommend trying this little gem.

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

Smokey tea with a slice of lemon...then settling into a smokey, spiced wood. Very comforting, dry and warm. For me, it leans toward the masculine, although it is completely wearable by either gender.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Mikeperez23 has written accurately about Tobacco Vanille! When I first sniffed this perfume, my nose was highly impressed by the authentic tobacco notes. Tobacco marries well with vanilla too, so this combo is an easy winner. I must add though, that in preparing to 'share' some of this frag, about 2ml spilled onto my countertop. Because of this mishap, I got a clear cut, no holds barred whiff of this stuff and was overwhelmed by the smell of cloves! Now, when I sniff TV I can only detect cloves...For a boozy tobacco vanilla frag I would insist upon trying Guerlain's Spirituese Double Vanille ~ IMO it surpasses Tom Ford's version, just a bit!

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

Wow, this is a very different gardenia! The opening is camphorous, like the topnote with that same effect in Tuberose Criminelle by Serge Lutens. Heavy on the indoles, Velvet Gardenia is not a sweet or green girly flower, it is definitely wearable by a man. One could acquire a taste for the close wearing raw floral component in this juice, as it is a unique representation of gardenia. As it warms on the skin, the slightest tinge of sweetness appears, but I would never think of classifying it as 'sweet'. Also, it is creamy. Maybe that's where the velvet part comes into play. The drydown brings another Lutens association: Sarrisins. I don't get any cheesy note whatsoever, nor any plastic. But then again, I am a fan of indolic white florals! My advice is to give this one a fair shake, I love it for it's bold & different portrayal of the gardenia flower.

Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford

Candied violets and patchouli? Yep, that's what you'll get with Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli! Must say that I love it though, and find the patchouli base to be just the right potency.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Anucci Man by Anucci

If you like Insensé, Fleur du Mâle or L'Eau d'Issey, then you really owe it to yourself to at least TRY Anucci for Men. This reasonably priced little gem (funky, somewhat gimmicky bottle, btw) definitely falls into the white floral category, albeit with very distinctive green notes and musky underpinnings.

Goes on brash at first, but dries down to a lovely and long lasting finish.

Nlb's avatar
    Nlb

Connemara by Fragrances of Ireland

Spicy, creamy green! Reminds me slightly of "Emeraude" with its spicy, green accords. There is a creamy powderiness that floats over "Connemara's" mossy base, giving off a refined, leather air. Wash with "Irish Spring" soap, put on Creed's "Tuberose Indiana" and you'll find a good (though, oddly cost-contrasting) impression of this fragrance. "Connemara" is stong, but pleasant to noses who love spicy green.

CEH's avatar
    CEH

Nuit De Longchamp by Lubin

This review is for the original (now vintage) EDT

The scent immediately opens with a faint orange blossom. Since this is vintage bottle (perhaps the late 60's), the topnotes seem rather faded and the scent progresses almost immediately to several white flowers (ylang ylang and carnation I think) and then oakmoss, tonka, rose, cloves, pepper and vanilla settle in smoothly. The basenotes remind me of Nuit de Noel by Caron.

I can only imagine the beauty of this fragrance when it was first purchased. I was lucky enough to find this vintage bottle. I hope to compare the reissued version to this classic beauty.

yolanchris's avatar
    yolanchris
    Guyana Guyana

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Strong sophisticated Masquline. This is an interesting fragrance bought it by mistake but dont regret it. It opens up very warm slighty aquatic not sure whats there then moves to the middle thats where I take notice the middle is dry kind a woodsy tobaco controlled by a sweet under tone think it might be vanella which ballance the strong masquline with a sweet interesting tone. Havent reach the base yet first time i wore it.

username's avatar
    username

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Years after completing grade school, the month of September had a hold on my psyche like none other. Not because the school year always started in September for me, but more so the smell of crispness in the air mixed with the anxious urge to wear slightly out-of-season, stylish, more heavier clothing. September was alive with energy. The energy of a new year, new priorities, new methods and materials to organize these priorities...notebooks, papers, pencils, and ideas. Gucci Pour Homme personifies this. September-October in a bottle. It took me 10 years out of college to let September be just another month. But, GPH engulfs me in my rendition of September like a crisp northeastern autumn day full bright faces and new ideas.

thumbelina's avatar
    thumbelina

Mira Baï by Chopard

When I first spritzed this on, there was a shrill top note that snagged my attention and it took days to label it: Deep Woods Bug Spray.
    The funny thing is, it's not unpleasant. Some of my fondest memories are awash in the citronella pine scent of camping in wisconsin. The heart notes are demure florals, which are further muted by a musky sandalwood. The bug spray component is nicely tweaked, peppery and woody. But for me, the whole effort is a little timid. I think if you are going to do bugspray, you should go big or go home. It's a shame, because I really love perfumes that break the department-store syrupy mold. If mira bai was a bit braver, i think I would love it.

thumbelina's avatar
    thumbelina

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

like being hit in the face with a pot of geraniums planted in sandalwood powder. I adore this juice, but it is gone in 20 minutes on my skin. for those 20 minutes I am so soothed my the medicinal zing of those geraniums, and focused by the deep base of the sandalwood. I wish everyone else would smash their bottles of this so it could be all mine, mine, mine.
    I have heard it compared to costes, which is another spicy, medicinal, woody favorite. Costes is more masculine, with cleaner lines, clearly made for a big space. 10 coso como is the atmosphere between your shirt and your bra, right over your heart.

hester's avatar
    hester
    South Africa South Africa

Insolence by Guerlain

Wow... so... I really like this! I was all set to very much snub this one, but I got a mini as a present and it's really fun! I get berries, violets and musk in equal proportions, and because it smells like a scented toy I had as a child, this is really comforting and happy to me. I... could be in love. But let's give it a full day and then decide. If sprayed, I'm sure it could be much too much, quite sweet after all. But certainly fun, and not too young at all, though not sophisticated.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very deep, insidious note that everyone else says is pine seems more of a dank, dirty rock under a pine tree with a rose decaying underneath it. We all smell things differently and each fragrance develops differently on the skin. This never deviates from the aggressive herbal and animalic leather and patchouli notes. Someone described this as a n aromatic fougere. Same as Cool Water. Cool Water is much more pleasing to the masses and well, I guess I'm "the masses". Eloge du Traitre just seems difficult to understand, on purpose... like a child that keeps saying no to a parent.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

Woody citrus with a patchouli base. Man this stuff was a little over the top when I first put it on but I grew to really like it's Robin Williams hairy-chested dominance. This one does fade quickly leaving only a trace of itself behind so I don't get any development other than a smoky woody patchouli.

valentinamaltese's avatar
    valentinamaltese

Crystal Aoud by Montale

The openig notes are fruity and mouthwatering, but then the fragrance develops in a clean, crisp smell, due to the medicinal note of agarwood and the sexy clean musk. It' wery sensuous, but in a subltle and elegant way Finally a fruity perfume that is not too girly, like Dewberry, o too solemn an ladylike, as Mitsouko.

01st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2008)

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

I can't add to the great reviews of the notes in the reviews below me. To me, Sweet Oriental Dream is one of the most unique vanilla/gourmands I've experienced. What makes it unique is the balance between sweet notes and nut/floral notes. There's something going underneath the vanilla that keeps me smelling my wrist constantly. After the opening this isn't sweet at all, and even though it's slightly on the feminine side of unisex, I wouldn't think twice about wearing it.

ToughCool's avatar
    ToughCool

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I'll be the first here. Tried this and immediately purchased it. As a teen or preteen I never really noticed the strength of the initial blast of Polo. Just recently I tried it again and it was overwhelming. I'm not sure if it is the chamomile in the original or what but I didn't like it as much. What Modern Reserve does is mutes that intitial blast to almost nothing and then lets the middle notes and the base of the original come out. this maybe has a little more "green" to it in the middle and drydown. I personally, upon todays testing, find this better than the original. It keeps everything I loved about Polo as a youth, especially the drydown and takes away some of the things that may have kept others away. It is Modern and it is Reserve(d) alright. I love this scent and it will be a new classic for me.

Nick Newalani's avatar
    Nick Newalani
    South Africa South Africa

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

My first thought when seeing this fragrance was "Cool Bottle!" The down side to it however is that it doesn't really scream practicality... I did however love the fragrance. This scent starts out with a burst of freshness that is almost eye-watering in intensity but gradually levels out into a sweet, slightly green scent that is definitely an attention getter. I did get a few comments about it as I walked down the hallways at work and all were positive. I do feel that the initial burst of 'fresh' may irritate a few sinus passages. The combination of berries, citrus and wood is not a bad combination of ingredients but i suspect that this is a fragrance that may react wildly differently on different individuals. I like the total feel of it though and give it a thumbs up!

Candi's avatar
    Candi

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

appearance looks good, just need to sample it. Aloha!

Candi's avatar
    Candi

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Appearance looks GREAT!!! Can't wait to sample the new fragrance. Just byreading the notes I can smell it, Smells wonderful. Aloha!

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Are they still making this fragrance? I was given the Azzaro pour Homme as a present years ago. Right up there with Starsky & Hutch, CHIPS, et al.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Too strong and overpowering, very popular with late teens to twenties. Not a fragrance that I would purchase.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

A classic fragrance, definately a favourite. Smells like toffees, not too sweet, popular with the ladies.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Very classy mens fragrance, classic Chanel. If it was a motor car it would either be a Bentley or Aston Martin. Love the packaging in the silver bottle.

01st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2008)

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Fruity and light, essence of exotic fruits. The fragrance basenotes release different scents according to the designers blurb.
    Been a fan of Hugo Energise ever since it was released in 2005.

Ronin's avatar
    Ronin

Rykiel Homme Grey by Sonia Rykiel

This one is definitely not for me. Sonia Rykiel Homme got decent reviews and Grey Homme was said to be more powerful by one reviewer so I went ahead and got this one. I'm willing to bet that the smell can make many people nauseous if overapplied or smelled up close. This fragrance is powerful and it's just not something that I enjoy. I went and washed this stuff off a few minutes after spraying because I couldn't bear this smell. Not for me. I urge everyone to try before buying.

leejuan's avatar
    leejuan

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

This one sends out grandma's purse scent. Gives me a headache when i smell scents like this.