Fragrance Reviews from October 2008

JonB's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Very, weak. Very simple. No excitement here.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

JonB's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

This was a blind buy for me based on comments here on BN. I have learned my lesson, and don't buy any frag blind any more. This is completely unlike Colonia or Assoluta; there is no stimulating citrus or floral notes in this AdP, there is only a sickening aromachemical smell. This is one of those fragrances for which I've made a 180 degree turn. I originally liked this fragrance, but over time I have come to greatly dislike it. I can't explain it, but this has become quite repulsive to me. In playing with aromachemicals, I have found that this fragrance smells almost entirely of one chemical, Amberwood Forte, and over time I have come to really dislike the smell. Oh well, you can't win them all.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2009)

Max1mu51's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

This is a different one, different but I like it. Mugler has got nothing on this especially because this was made first (not to mention A*men smells like grandma - see my review). Sometimes its spicier than others, and other times those chocolate fingers rub me down. The trick with this one is how it is applied, if applied in close proximity there is a great deal more of spice and a burnt coffee beans, but if applied at a distance, a light mist - you've got great dark chocolate for days. One things for sure, it wears like a EdP. Two sprays on my neck lasts me a good 8 hours. (be careful it is easy to over apply). Very masculine, to me there are many more notes than what's listed, but I do agree with foetidus I can smell tobacco.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2008)

brianroy's avatar

Colombia Colombia

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Oh my God...This one is sooooooooo good. I ordered a miniature and just tried it. Its fire, its hot. I never understood a how a fragance could be "sexy" even the scents I like the most I wouldnt call "sexy". But here it is, By Man. Its like male-sexuality in a bottle. Its leathery in a good way, its spicy, no its pure flames. And not in a bad way like you will hate it or love it, no you'll LOVE it.

brianroy's avatar

Colombia Colombia

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is a marvelous scent. I tried it for the first time in 2005 and fell in love instantly. It was my signature scent for 3 years, and I bought this 5 times in a row. Even now i'm wearing scents that are very similar to Code. Its dark and warm, mysterious and very sexy and attractive. Kind of powdery but I like that.

mrsjar97's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

I for one, love this fragrance, even if it is maybe a bit dated. To me, it is a more sophisticated version of Drakkar Noir (which I admit is a guitly pleasure of mine.)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Why are Guerlain such liars? When I saw the new bottle perched on the shelf in the store I asked the Guerlain lady if the formula had changed. She said it hadn't, consistent with the official line from the big boys at the top. Whatever. This is Vetiver after a Jenny Jones makeover, clipped, tidied up and stripped of any appreciable character. On face value, its still rather good, but when compared to what it used to be I cant help feel as though this reformulation has been an awful mistake.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2011)

Adama's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

My first frag, chosen by my girlfriend because of its inoffensive nature.

Strong, fresh opening. Seaweed is really dominant; very salty and unique. Reminds me heavily of an ocean breeze, but there's something that is just a bit off that ruins the illusion.

It calms down after the first few minutes and moves quickly into a barely detectable woody musk.

I use this stuff for the gym now, since A) It smells nicer when you're working out and B) I don't like it as much as my other frags. For $75, you can find cheaper gym-frags.

Edit: I've been going back and re-reviewing my old reviews. Polo Sport was my first cologne, and I've yet to find an Aquatic better than it, despite my searching. Sport is a perfect blend that not only exemplifies the Aquatic genre, but also uses the Seaweed note in a way that is tremendously pleasant.

Salty and watery, Sport is still the best at what it does 21 years after it hit the market.

Changed from a Neutral to a Thumbs Up, which I should have done years ago.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2014)

finsfan's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

I loved this scent the 1st time I wore it. Liked its spices, but they are not like Piper Nigrum, or Rose Poivree. Rather, this is more gentle, and warm as Foetidus said. No mint, but maybe pink peppers. Then the second time I wore it, I was expecting a sillage monster and did not get that. I was wanting it to be this loud, show stopper, better-make-sure-I-don't-use-more-than-two-sprays scent like Black Aoud. But the more I wear it, the more I get back to the wowness of the 1st wearing. Don't really know why that is, but it is. I like to spray this on my arms as well as the crook of my neck, just right near the shoulder blades. This scent really does linger and last, though it does not project like Aoud Limes or Black Aoud or Rose Petals. But it is stronger than a regular Eau de Toilette. How do I know? Well, at lunch, after wearing it for five hours, I passed within 4 feet of a lady heading in the opposite direction. When she was ten feet past me, and we were just walking past each other, she shouted out that wow, I smelled good. This was in an office building. So its sillage is more than what your nose may think. It has a different sort of spiciness to it, not like the heavy spices in some scents that are black pepper, or cloves, or something assaultive. Now, I am not a vetiver lover, so this Haitian vetiver must be a different sort than that in Guerlains, or Floris. The scent works for me, and is versatile. You can wear it with a suit, but it is not authoritative. You can wear it with shorts and a polo shirt to that backyard patio party, but it is not whimsical. I wore this as a sample in August heat in Memphis, Tn, and it wore well, and it wears well so far into the fall (middle October)

Frederik's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I think it's just a matter of skin chemistry, but it's plain soap on me.

JaimeB's avatar

Chevignon by Chevignon

This is listed as a woody or leather chypre, depending on the source. It is an example of the 1980's style surviving into the early '90s. Lots of people swear this is a ringer for the discontinued Polo Crest; I wouldn't know. To me, this is a blast from the past as a men's scent. The notes, spice, green/herbal, and citrus in the top note; mostly floral in the heart; and wood, moss, amber, and leather in the base, are archetypal for the genre and period. It reminds me of the days when we called such things "Way cool," and so it still is.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Now don't get me wrong, I love gardenias, but this is certainly not it. Why ruin an already mediocre fragrance that smells nothing like gardenia with a hideous celery note which I'm suprised nobody has mentioned. In my Bloody Mary, Yes, in my Waldorf Salad, Yes, in my fine fragrance most certainly not and I don't care if Madonna stinks of it.

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

Beautiful fizzy pop soda that smells like an avant garde concept. This literally bristles with humour and intelligence. I would say though that this is nothing like L'Eau D' Issey because it avoids the tiresome Calone note that defined the 90's. Excellent!

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

Shockingly hideous, tank busting tuberose and orange blossom overlaid with alarming notes of hot plastic. My assistant wore this 80's throwback last week and when I walked in the office I could taste it in my mouth. I have no idea why this hasn't been discontinued. If you are wearing this garbage and someone asks what fragrance you are wearing, don't kid yourself that it is because they like it.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Spellbound grabbed my attention with a vengeance when I began exploring Lauder fragrances. The first thing I thought was 'prostitute'. Streetwalker's juice. Amazing stuff that pulled me closer and pushed me away with equal intensity. I wonder how this would smell on a man, and what people would think of a guy reeking of Spellbound if they don't recognise the perfume. Intriguing, and the vulgar power of it is beyond ostentatious. So brazen that I can hardly think of a suitable situation whence it could wear one. Because wear you it will, unless you're much larger than life. Perhaps a fancy dress going as our whore?

ubuandibeme's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Watery and weak, definitely not worth the pricetag. For a mild fragrance, there are sooooo many others to choose from that won't run you broke!

Knize Ten by Knize

Crack the whip, feel the bite of sharp bitter leather. This is a policeman’s shiny, black, leather shoes. Decidedly manly. I could see this as rugged and sexy on a man, but on a woman, it’s going to come across as kinky. High marks for being unique in this day and age, but a neutral rating because I’m not sure how it would wear in reality. I have no volunteers to demonstrate, and it’s a bit harsh on me.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

An attempt at a vetiver without lemon, choosing instead a strong cedar note, which results in an admirable attempt at something different from the usual citrus combo. However, it was a bit thin and dry.

No. 68 by Guerlain

Wow, they say this has 68 ingredients? I can’t smell most of them, and then end result is rather common citrus and herbs with one difference—among the grapefruit and thyme is a heavenly heliotrope. Nice, but not remarkable enough to replace something like Jicky. And if I wanted heliotrope, I'd get something that showcased it better.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

More atmospheric than perfume, I would prefer this as a room spray. It's very dry and sharp with no sweetness. Aromatic woods such as camphor, turpentine, cedar, and pine combine with unsweet herbs like thyme and rooty vetiver to make a realistic "branch of evergreen" aroma. It's fun. It doesn't last long. I like it as an experience, but I probably wouldn't wear it.

Absinth by Nasomatto

I don’t smell any wormwood in here. The company gives absolutely no information on notes, only saying that this perfume intends to “invoke degrees of hysteria” and “stimulate irresponsible behavior.” Call me crazy, but this is almost gourmand to me--creamy and fruity. I smell a tart apple dipped in milky caramel and rolled in crushed peanuts. Come to think of it, that is enough to drive me to hysteria. It’s fall, and it’s “Happy Apple” time

Duro by Nasomatto

A bitter leather opening fades quickly away to a deep, sweet (yes, it's sweet to me) woody scent with oud, sandalwood, and some nice patchouli and musk. Duro is designed for men, and the Italian word is slang for hard-on; yet, I find it more wearable for women than the dry, bitter genre of other masculine leather fragrances. Duro is big, wet, and warm, like… oh, heh, heh. Sorry about that analogy.

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

A high-octane grassy-woody scent, fired by a minty-herbal concoction and a big hit of patchouli. One component is similar to the diffusive, green, woody aroma of Timbuktu. Possibly some nice anise-like aroma is floating around in there, maybe some marijuana, too. Although I cannot call it classically beautiful, Hindu Grass is pleasing, and I find myself drawn to it. Oddly attractive and satisfying.

China White by Nasomatto

Billed as a powdery floral, I will agree that it is so, with a difference—China White has a dusty, dry, green powder over sweet, fruity florals. The combination is both jarring and interesting. While the powder is tart and salty, the florals are as sweet as caramel. This powdery chemical is close to providing a leather scent. All in all, it is odd and fascinating.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Fresco di Vetiver by I Profumi di Firenze

More "fresco" than "vetiver", and quite poor longevity on my skin.
    Otherwise, a nice light feel-good citrus/vetiver, quite similar IMO to Fragonard's take on vetiver.

Roy's avatar

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

Stopped by Aedes this weekend and tried this one. The opening was dominated by the sweet orange, pink pepper, and incense notes. The heart appeared after about twenty minutes and was nearly pure oppoponax/sweet myrrh, with hints of coffee and cedar. This persisted on my skin for at least 4-5 hours, following which soft woods emerged, tempering the pure incense experience. Those with me agreed that it smelled not unlike catholic mass, warm, incense laden, and familiar. It had good tenacity on the skin and the sillage was also fair. Worth a trip and a sample for the incense lover.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very unpleasant and disturbing. Bitter, resinous, medical, putrid.... cannot find words to explain. But can be used to torture me and tell the all top secret i would know.

Bois et Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Smells like saffroned dry coconut peels or mastic forgotten in a drawer full of dated spices. even if there is a musc there it is obscured by rancid spices. Cannot find anything enjoyable in it.

Organza First Light by Givenchy

Little citrus on very little florals. So weak that i can hardly smell it.

loveless's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Chance by Chanel

Nukapai said it all.

Because it's the house of Chanel, so I was hoping for more. To me Chance lacks a certain kind of kick. It smells like a mass of plum fluffy candy, the kind you can get in carnivals. A bit flat and boring.

But the botle is gorgeous. The campaign and slogan is fun.... >"< Just that as a Chanel perfume it's a bit of a let-down.