Fragrance Reviews from November 2008

Claire de Nilang by Lalique

A strong green floral, very pretty but not for the meek of heart!

Amethyst by Lalique

Rosy blackcurrants and blackberry on a light musky base. Very true blackcurrant and excellent longevity. Beautiful bottle too.

Lalique White by Lalique

This is a spicy and unisex delight, reminiscent of traditional bay rum colognes, but with a modern twist. Very decent longevity for a cologne. Wish it came in an EdP concentration, though. Swear there's some bay and juniper in there....

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

Vetyver-
    Wonderful vetiver fragrance of the soapy variety. Starts with bergamot, a little lavender and a little incense behind a soapy haze. The top notes drop off into the soap and then the true vetiver emerges, and what a note it is.

It is rounded and never "sticks out" too far. It is also earthy, warm with a little salty tinge. It is sweet like guerlain's wih just a little of that low-down-sparkiness-"back-nose" feel like vetiver extrordinaire. The woody base supports well, holding up the vetiver without intruding and smells of high quality ingredients. The sandalwood in particular seems wonderful and perfectly attuned with the main vetiver accord.

An absolute winner. All hail Wicozani for putting it on the radar.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

The fragrance for horsemen; duck hunters; lovers of the 'County Set' lifestyle-- stylish outdoorsmen all, and this is their fragrance. I think of Evelyn Waugh in the beautiful bold plaid country suit, maybe with plus-fours and boots. After a long, happily tiring day out on the estate, one settles back into a friendly old leather chair before the fire, caressing a crystal glass generously poured with a single malt, and a whiff of Equipage adds to the experience perfectly. I get a lovely cinnamon note here, although it does not appear to be in the list of elements. I like this fragrance very much, although I generally shun florals, but this one is definitely for the "old boys". It is a complex masculine thing, with a lot of English sensibility, which is amazing for a French product.

Words's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

I agree that there is a bit of Kenzo PH hidden somewhere in Horizon. More pepper and spices here, though. Whereas, Kenzo goes straight for the throat with very real marine accords. I like Horizon, probably a little more than Kenzo PH, it's just much easier to wear. For the price, it's a steal, but not something I would reach for on a regular basis.

Aiona's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Someone commented to me that they thought the color of Jaipur Homme should be white, not clear, because it reminded them of eggnog. And yes! It does remind me of eggnog also! Nutmeg and vanilla! But not just nutmeg and vanilla; there's also some cinnamon and cardamom -- the list of spices I use to make my moussaka.

But about 4 hours later, it becomes less like a spice packet that I'd use to mix into my stir fry, and more vanilla and musky-smell -- almost like that powdery Arrid XXtra-dry deodorant-like smell of Le Male by JPG. I can't say I like the drydown as much as the opening. But it's certainly a distinctive smell, and I wouldn't mistake it for anything else, should I ever smell it on anyone else.

My test was with Jaipur Homme EdP, not the EdT. I agree with other reviewers that it definitely *lasts*. Sillage is pretty prominent, I think, because husband was able to smell it with me just standing next to him, and he was able to say that he doesn't like it. To each his own.

Amarie's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I have the recent edp version that I have always loved as aldehydes are a favourite, and they certainly hit you with the galbanam on the opening. However tonight I rediscovered a tiny tad of the vintage parfum version of this in the back of my cupboard and dabbed it on. Ohhhh..... not what I expected. No aldehydes in sight, but huge galbanum. My daughter declared in no uncertain terms "grandpa smell". I think its the emphasis on leather. And I can smell an undercurrent of violet, interwoven with the rose, but none of the sweet interweaving that is through the edp. This has that not quite bitter greenness over a warmth and depth, that seems to sink forever. Chanel no. 19 will never be the same again.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Now this is a true amber!
    I am not sure that is a good thing, but it is definitelly natural and very reminicent of Southamerican copal. It is dry, sticky and sirupy. It smells like a forest during a dry winter: dead leaves and resin.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a masculine point of view.

This fragrances is a Floral Oriental, sweet and heavy. The Orange Flower note is not very peculiar and the overall scent is pretty linear. Much more appropriate for a woman than a man. It has good longevity and good sillage, but it will not be a sillage emanating from me.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Old dust, smoke and vintage leather. My girlfrinds says it smells like a sweaty me. I am so egocenric that I will give this a thumbs up.

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Carnation? Jasmine?
    sniff... sniff...
    Argh! Help! I am in Cinnamon hell! And not gourmand cinnamon, but BIG RED© kind of cinnamon...
    Get Skai instead.

oz jetta's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

The opening is one of grapefruit/orange, from the yuzu and in that respect quite unique. At the same time the alcohol drowns the top notes since they are abit soft. After you give it 30 mins the smell of musk and woods really come out. The notes stay soft and never too sharp. There is a light powdery dry down that lingers, never too heavy. Definitely a nice woods scent, and good for all seasons since it opens with a nice citrus, though i'd say best for summer since the scent is very soft and never cloying. On the masculinity scale, its an 7-8 since the musk and powder reminds me of what a girls perfume would have. But at the same time this would make for a good casual office scent and even a evening romantic one. As the dry down evolves, there is a linger of mystery, wanting to know more...

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

cK one by Calvin Klein

As many other thumbs down review say, the stuff has an awful, sour, synthetic, chemical note. Actually makes me want to clear my throat and spit. How did something so toxic make it by the test panel? Could be one of those either/or notes that some people pick up and others are oblivious to. For instance, some, including myself, find the aroma of white pepper very repulsive. Others love it.

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

Cheap, aromatic fougere like Coty's Avatar. Typical musky drydown. Not much to it.

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

Non-descript citrus and musk "sporty" thing. Not high quality but not total junk. Smells perfectly fine but can get a bit ugly at times. Wear in hot weather to enjoy.

Cold by Benetton

Green citrus musk. The scent itself is rather fleeting but itsn't terrible. I see this go for liek four bucks sometimes so just get it for someone you know that needs to smell better without spending a fortune.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Interesting take on the normal lemon and lavender eau de cologne formula adding in a drop of Jicky and cumin into he mixture. I was hoping for a Eau d'Oragne Vert but "better" kind of thing but it's not what you'd expect. I go back and forth between thinking it stinks and smells like sweat to this is a wonderful animalic cologne.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Calm citrusy florals and figs with an impression of the sea. The fig gives off an illusion of booziness like in Paul Smith London and really green. I really like this and really it's just a nice scent to wear during the day.

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

Green citrus, not bitter like oranges and not tart like lemons but the unique scent of tangerines (like the bottle says!). Very linear but uplifting and straightforward. Lasts long enough and is what I wanted Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert to be.

Mat; Very Male by Masakï Matsushïma

Anise, vetiver and musk. The sweetness comes from the musk I smell and the herbal and licorice note comes from a combination of vetiver and anise. Didn't seem to last long on me but it was wonderful.

Asha's avatar

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

Notes: (from Givenchy)
    Top: Cinnamon, Tangerine
    Heart: Jacaranda Wood, Plum
    Base: Amber, Patchouli

I bought Organza Indecence when it first came out, so my bottle is the feminine one with the open, flowing gown, and the fragrance is EDP strength. At the time, I was already a lover of the Original Organza, and OI was having a special on gift sets, so I also got a cute mini, some body lotion and shower gel. It appears they no longer make the body products, and I am not sure if the fragrance is the same juice, but I read on the Givenchy site that the re-release is also an EDP. The new bottle is blocky, a tall rectangle like the Serge Lutens export line.

I am not generally very keen on fragrances that emphasize spices (eg, Serge Lutens Russe or Arabie), but for some reason, I never really noticed the cinnamon in OI. Spraying it now, I do smell the cinnamon more (since I am paying attention, probably), but it is not an edible cinnamon or part of a spice melange. Rather, it blends initially with the other top and mid notes to give a sort of tart fruit and light wood effect. In some ways it reminds me of a holiday potpourri, but it definitely does not have a cheap candle quality. Still, the combination of citrus, spice and wood is very reminiscent of wintertime holidays. In fact, OI is a great cool weather scent either by association, or by the depth and relative heaviness of the composition.

As the top notes burn off, I notice the patchouli much more. Sandalwood is not mentioned in the notes, but I smell something that could pass for sandalwood--it is a dusty, sweet wood smell with no cedar notes that I can detect. It compliments the cinnamon and patchouli very nicely--the patchouli becomes more rounded and the cinnamon helps the fragrance retain just enough sharpness to keep it from becoming fuzzy. Another note which is not listed is Vanilla, but I am sure it is in there (it could be in the amber accord), pulling the whole composition together. One of the mid-notes that becomes more apparent is a sort of preserved fruit note--either dried fruits or fruits steeped in brandy.

Further into the development, the cinnamon is still present, the sandalwood becomes more strong and the fruits fade. The sandalwood is a bit more powdery at this stage. Sometimes it seems like the cinnamon comes out more, but then a later sniff smells more like sandalwood. The patchouli is also still there, but quiet and earthy. Smelling the fragrance close to my skin, I can smell distinct notes, Smelling it further away, it is a gorgeous blend. The combination is creamy, not what one would expect given the notes. At the same time it still has a pleasant "bite", like a kind of tree wood that does not exist in nature.

I think the deep drydown is what most people associate with this fragrance, and it is well worth the wait. The creamyness amplifies as the sharper top and mid notes soften. The result is a beautiful creamy vanilla sandalwood with light cinnamon spice. It is still not edible-smelling, but it is incredibly voluptuous without being pretentious, and gracefully soft without being girly. It is really a difficult scent to describe--I find my self resorting back to the individual notes, but again, their combination is what makes this one special.

Overall, the fragrance is complex and deep, but is not extreme in its development. In fact, I would say it is mostly linear except that different stages highlight different parts of the scent quite well. I always used to think it had very strong sillage, but now it seems more moderate. Compared to a fragrance like Mugler's Angel, OI is mild mannered and genteel. It is not light by any means, but not a shrinking violet, either. Longevity is excellent--after 10 hours I can still smell it. It is light at this point, but not so light to be a skin scent.

As I write this, I am struck by the similarity of OI to Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Both are orientals built primarily on a woody base with spices and dried fruits. Where FdB focuses on cedar and cumin, OI highlights sandalwood and cinnamon. In either case, there is a comforting quality that makes me want to be enveloped in the scent. With OI, the fragrance hints at being edible without turning into candy or cake. I love the contrast of sharp and soft, sweet and dry or dusty. I love how the all the ingredients work together so that the cinnamon becomes part of the fragrance composition rather than taking over (a very common problem with some spices). Mostly, though, I love the blend that is more than the sum of its parts.

Bigsly's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

Wow! This is really similar to Individuel by Mont Blanc. As I said about Individuel, it's pleasant, and is certainly good for once in a while, or when the occasion calls for it. The aficionado might find that it gets boring quickly, but it's solid technically and anyone who is used to sweet fragrances will probably like this, though he may not want to pay the typical Creed prices when other, similar ones are available at a much lower price.

lizzie_j's avatar

Ambre à Sade by Nez à Nez

I really love the notes in this fragrance and it should have been a winner! Somehow, unfortunately, it starts off, and persists, like strawberry scented plastic. It's very similar to those toys they used to (and may still) sell for children (usually girls) that have a scent---usually some awful synthetic berry and vinyl smell. This is similar on my skin. Very disappointing. Not a scrubber, but almost!

blondex199667's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Maybe I've had a stroke or something, but I smell vinegar and little else in this. Why can't more of the luxury houses take a cue from Hermes and create fragrances that are as unique and quality-minded as the rest of their products?

Goldaline's avatar

Must de Cartier II by Cartier

I LOVE this fragrance. I think it must be partly because of the vetiver base note. I first smelt Must de Cartier II on a young woman from Madrid whom I met while touring the USA, and I immediately bought a bottle for myself. Whenever I wore it, I felt truly fabulous. But now I want to buy another bottle, and I can't find it anywhere. (I live in England). Has it been discontinued? It would be a real, real shame if it has. TEN thumbs up for this fantastic fragrance which, by-the-way, also smells wonderful when layered over the Must de Cartier EDP (which is a different scent) body lotion.

surreality's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Bleeker Street is probably my favorite Bond No 9 fragrance so far. It opens up with a green note balanced with hyacinth and it evolves from there, adding sweetness of amber and patchouli to the green notes by the time it dries down. Bleeker Street is a very well composed fragrance, all of its parts create a coherent and well balanced whole. This lasts forever on my skin; I could still smell this upon waking this morning about 20hrs after the application of 2 sprays. Bleeker Street projects off the skin and leaves a nice wake behind the wearer. Even if this does have slight similarities to other fragrances its balance, longevity and overall quality puts it way a head of its peers.

dgenerator's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

As a man I don't like women fragrances (maybe it's supposed we like them when women wear it which is still not the case...) however so far there is only one fragrance which can instantly turn me on and make me want jumping on the woman wearing this and that's Hypnotic Poison. Respect to this scent!

Έπίκουρος's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

There must be something wrong with my bottle because after a pleasant citrus opening PM literally disappear, even with ten sprays on my wrist and only one spray of blenheim bouquet on the other wrist (to be sure my nose is working properly) , i can't smell anything where PM is supposed to be, maybe new reformulations have spoilt such a classic scent !! So don't buy it blind like me but try before. I followed Luca Turin book but I have been disappointed buy his choices so many times that this is the last time.

Ronin's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is an okay fragrance in my book. I was close to giving it a neutral. I was expecting to be blown away and instead got something that was just good. Even though this is a green fragrance it still felt dirty. This is not a fresh fragrance that you find all over the place nowadays. I'm not sure if I will go seek this one out again. It's good, but not great.