Fragrance Reviews from November 2008

odysseusm's avatar

Hurlingham by Atkinsons

Citrus and verbena opening notes; with a long-lasting, woodsy and masculine body.” (From an Atkinsons brochure in the package.)
    This is a lovely little chypre with typical lemon and grassy notes. The opening is very citrusy and refreshing. The green notes are excellent. They are herbal and interesting. What might they be? Perhaps sage and /or clary sage with tarragon. Vetiver might be lending a grassy note. For sure there is patchouli in the later phase, but it is well done (with a light hand). This settles into a grassy vibe, with clean soapy aspects. A short-lived and light fragrance, now discontinued. It reminds me of Greenergy by Givenchy.

rickie's avatar

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Who could not like this. Is it a Floral or a musk? I can't decide. I just know its very unique and I love it. Has the Femme been discontinued? I can only find the male version of this, which is ok. I feel these are unisex fragrances.

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

I decided to try this new body spray from Axe and it is not bad. Not great, but not bad. Chocolate dominates it at first with a slight undertone of a woodsy musk, but as usual with these body sprays they get real chemicaly real fast, and the notes of the scent are muttled into a chemical mess within minutes. It may not be too bad to layer with A*Man or Rochas though. Just beware when you spray this stuff it is like a chocolate Lysol blast that surrounds you and the area you sprayed it in for a good while.

Also one other thing I want to point out is the price, these Axe body sprays used to be in the $3.00 dollar range but now they are up to $6.00 in the Pacific NW of the USA. That puts these body sprays into the "too expensive" category for me because I don't think what you receive is worth the cost.

m0nkey1961's avatar

England England

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Remember parma violet sweets ?? Then this is your chance to smell EXACTLY like them !!
    Even so, its very good stuff, makes you feel happy !!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Private Collection - Cedre Sandaraque by Parfumerie Generale

Cedre Sandaraque is a charming fragrance, the brother though not the twin to Bois Blond.

The cedar in the title is somewhat misleading. While there is an Atlas Cedar note in the base, I mostly pick up on the grassy and "pralined amber" notes.

I find Cedre Sandaraque's "pralined amber" note almost identical to Dzing!'s "cotton candy" note, though the two fragrances are quite different otherwise.

I mostly steer clear of gourmands, but Cedre Sandaraque is sweet and mellow without ever crossing the line into cloying.

Fairly low sillage, but decent longevity.

Hobbes's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Don't get me wrong, I loved the initial scent. Five minutes later, however... it was nowhere to be found. In fact, there was no scent there at all! I must have looked like a kook sniffing the inside of my shirt in class trying to get even the slightest whiff of the scent. It was great while it lasted though...

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

Eau de Caron Forte by Caron

These notes don't lie, however they also don't like me and I don't like them. The top note of apple makes this smell like watered down apple juice. No sweetness. A middle of spices and a funky weird powdery floral (assuming it's the musk and lilac combination) near the end before it poofs out of existence in 2 hours.

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

Damn I love the tonka bean in this. The entire frgrance is slightly spicy, slight sweet with a nutty bitterness to it that lingers for hours. One of the few "black" named fragrances that comes close to its moniker. Rather interesting graphic on the bottle.

Frank No. 3 by Frank Los Angeles

Notes of light citrus and a light musky base. A cooling top note of cucumber gives this a wonderful chill to it which makes it great for the summer. Nothing special, though.

kopah's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The other reviewers have, note-wise, described it very well. It's predominantly spicy (clove/nutmeg/cinnamon) with a bit of incense and an underpinning of cedar. Thing is, I can't figure out why he needed to do this when he just released Five O'Clock au Gingembre, and especially Rousse; I find Serge Noire to be quite similar to the latter, both in style and substance. It's nowhere near as bad as Tania Sanchez makes it out to be, and fans of spice should love it.

cee-go's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Vetiver by Guerlain

One of the best fragrances ever. Real classy, real for men.

funnyboy's avatar

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

Nice fragrance,not too long lasting.Green and sweet without being sickly.Think it would be good after sport and a shower.After a while there is a faint trace of the jasmine which gives the sweetness.Could see this appealing to any age group and it is one of those things that you could buy safely as a present for anyone without it staying in their wardrobe unused as is the case with many fragrances if given and you dont know that particular person's taste.

Zhara8's avatar

Kai by Kai

Billie Holiday wore only a cluster of gardenias in her hair as trademark fragrance and ornament, and this certainly evokes that image. Lady Day by the sea?

Oh yes Kai has gardenia, very very powerful gardenia, but not a singleflora. Kai has noticeable jasmine, very present aquatic bits in the finish, and I'd swear that's late march privet blossom in there as well.

Quite lovely, tho very out of character for me as I'm not usually a floral fan. I'd still rate it second behind MPG's Jardin Blanc, but pretty much on par with Alfred Sung's original hit. All nice white flower scents, each with a different basenote. That aquatic note is the one thing keeping Kai from getting my highest possible raves and rating.

Great gardenia reproduction, and certainly the silage is monumental. A strong one, no doubt.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Yet another cologne that smells like what a McDonald's apple pie tastes like.

Anyway, this stuff smells nice, I'll give it that much. It's a slightly sweet, woodsy-fresh fragrance with a hint of cucumber in the top. However, it's not much compared to the excellent men's fragrances YSL has put out in the past (except for Opium pour Homme).

If you like it, you like it. A lot of people wear it. I'll give it a thumbs up for smelling nice, at least.

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2010)

SmellyNinja's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

VERY natural, fresh scent. Almost like sticking your face in a potter full of plants. The forest after a rainstorm simile is not a bad way to put it. Add a bit of spice and there you have it.

I can't say I don't find it somewhat appealing once in a while when I'm in the right mood (is 'organic' a mood?), but even then it's only when I know I'm just going to be sitting around the house by myself. I guess I don't want to give people the impression I've just wrestled someone in a herb garden. I'm glad I went for the small bottle.

applepark's avatar

Rose Noir by Byredo

A really dirty, dirty rose. Rose Noir smells earthy, musky on the skin. I noticed recently that the caps of Byredo have changed from a black cylinder to more a of knob shape. Perhaps this was to step away from the similarities drawn between this line and Frederic Malle. I think this is quite a nice, complicated rose. If you like rose musk or rose patchouli blends, this is worth a try.

butterpecanrican's avatar

Princess by Vera Wang

I just got this today,I sampled it a few days ago and was thinking about getting it.I am kind of glad I did it is not as strong as I usually like my perfumes but the bottle is pretty and I do like the ring and the cap and also to me it smells like a vanilla cake and tiny bit of flowers.Lasting power in question because I just put it on and I am wearing it as I type this so I will update on that part of it soon.But I would reccomend this if you like a light and sweet fragrance.Oh and by the way Fantasy and Pink sugar are different from this they smell sweeter and way stronger this smells nothing like either but it does remind me of Love at first glow by Jlo.But I would buy this again I think.

peta's avatar

Maharishi by Rich Hippie

Maharishi is said to have "davana, vertivert and spiritual flowers of India" by Rich Hippie. It has an uplifting scent. At first spray, I was in love. It was very green and floral. After the green scents dried down, the davana took over. I have never smelled davana before but I thought it smelled a little lemony, sweet, woodsy scent. After reading about davana essential oil on the net, some people described its scent as "a woody base with fruity notes, like apricot" which I can agree with. It was quite fascinating and I kept sniffing it hours later to see if I still loved the sweet davana. Maharishi is a very unique scent; I am going to try it again.

peta's avatar

Brown Sugar by Rich Hippie

Brown sugar according to Rich Hippie has "tunisian orange blossom, madagascan vanilla bean, italian bergamot peel, moroccan verviene, french angelica and croatian lavender". The perfume was a little overwhelming at first with a lot of scents at once but mellowed within a half an hour. The orange blossom seems most obvious. The vanilla bean was also present. I didn't notice much of the green scents after the initial spray. Brown Sugar developed into a nice subtle scent that is still noticeable hours later but it is more than just citrus.

threadra's avatar

threadra's avatar

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

English Leather Black by Dana

very strong dark scent

it made my throat dry and i got A heart burn

no wonder its longevity is less than an hour

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

This is by far my number 1 fragrance for women. It's vanillic sweet, soften with a touch of almond and jasmine. The almond and moss scent appear to be a bit leathery, taming the wild sweetness of vanilla and jasmine accord. Well blend and longevity is superb!

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

Agreed with lilypaddles, this frag is a straight-forward Lily of the Valley. Personally, the frag is jez way, way too green and sweet. I was so happy to try at first, and driven by my excitement, I had nearly 3 to 5 spritz of the frag, feel 'freshly' good at first but later it made me feel dizzy and realized how strong the frag is. Longevity is superb.

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

Oh ho ho ho, u could say what a feeble brain I have as I am not a genius about fragrance, but to be honest the whole fragrance accord is all wrong, to me, it's just way, way too waxy! I don't know what could be the whole idea in creating this fragrance, but again. Never mind of what scents have been incorporated in the bottle, the fragrance accord should be listed like this:

Top:
    'Kiss Me Red' Lipstick + 'Toxic Free' Crayon
    Heart:
    Any 'Avon' Lipstick That You Can Buy + Yardley English Rose Talcum Powder
    Base:
    Just Another Lipstick + Generic Vanilla Scented Candle

Anyway, salute to the perfumer for being bold enough to offer such an overdose waxy fragrance, plus the bottle is just great, and I love the design of the cap. However, since we are talking about fragrance here, the scent is absolutely a downright crime.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

This is one of my favorite perfumes. All notes blend together and compliment eachother beautifully. It smells very good with my skins chemistry, when I wear it I can't help but sniff myself throught the day. It smells like a very light floral with amber and vanilla hints (at least on me it does). It has a very clean and fresh smell that has a slight sweetness to it. It also has staying power, on me it lasts from day to night without reapplying. I love this perfume and recomend to all who haven't tried it. It is not overpowering but is strong enough catch someone's attention. I always get compliments when I wear it from both men and women. To me it is romantic, enchanting, alluring, and femminine. Vivid is something special with a mysterious sex appeal that everyone admires. I can't believe it's discontinued, I'm glad I still have two bottles left =).

chlee19's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

When you walk past someone, it will definitely catch their attention. This smell, though subtle, will be their priority for the next 5 minutes. The image that comes to mind is something like whipping a super soft cashmere sweater in your face.

wendissima's avatar

Gli Odori by Odori

I cannot get enough of this scent...I could eat it....it elevates my mood when i apply it. A man friend proclaimed it the sexiest fragrance he had ever smelled....
    Peppery melange of rosemary, not too much sage and other herbs.
    It's green and spicy and works like a charm on my skin

cK one Scene by Calvin Klein

CK One Scene is an enjoyable summer scent… It opens citrusy and spicy (I find most of it somewhat spicy) and floral, and it’s a very refreshing form that it takes. The ylang-ylang is quite prominent and pushes the scent toward the feminine side for a short time. I do see it somewhat related to CK One, and I think it’s a worthy successor of the original. I like the dry down – the amber is clean and clear, the musk plays a recessive part, the woods provide the bit of masculinity that is needed for a unisex fragrance. The drydown, however, does not have the strength and longevity that it should, but it's a nice fragrance - very pleasant.

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Coniferous, fresh, chemical. Nothing like the original Egoiste - this pales in comparison. Sorry Platinum, Chanel is the house I hold dearest to my heart, but you ain't for me.

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2010)

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This used to be my favorite fragrance, however my hobby grew and I tried many new fragrances. While I still enjoy Gucci Pour Homme II, there are better things out there, and at this point I couldn't choose one favorite fragrance. This is basically a very pleasant, comforting tea-based, somewhat spicy scent with a bit of pimento not unlike Lalique Equus or Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. Also draws similarities to Chanel Égoïste (original). A major complaint is that this doesn't have very good sillage or longevity - yes, it does stay close to the skin, although it lasts a bit longer on me than others have said about it on them. Very unique compared to the lame men's fragrances of the past decade, and very pleasant - girls love this. Of course, I don't buy my fragrances to get compliments from the women, but you know what I mean.

Hey, give it a whirl. Chances are, you'll be glad you did.

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2010)