Fragrance Reviews from November 2008

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

It’s as if Caron took the main elements of their Pour Un Homme and gave them to Salvador Dali to rework into a more interesting fragrance. PUH’s lavender and vanilla are here in 3rd Man but so are a few twists and turns. Like Pour Un Homme, the opening is heavy with lavender. Unlike PUH, the Lavender is mated with a strong herbaceous accord of rosemary and anise. Evolves into a floral bouquet of carnation & jasmin with an earthy clove backdrop. A classic 70’s accord if there ever was one but still modern in the same breath. Rounds out in vanilla/amber and musk/oakmoss. Again, a familiar 70’s motif that doesn’t smell dated. I find 3rd Man more oriental than fougere but you may disagree. What kind of man (or woman) wears 3rd Man? One that’s distinguished and possesses a certain “savoir faire”. Despite its name, I’d say 3rd Man is more appropriate for every 3000th Man. This is not for everybody, but if you’re too old for Le Male and too young for PUH, get 3rd Man. Perhaps Caron’s finest moment and as such, it’s got some real strong legs to it so go lightly on the trigger.

The Dreamer by Versace

Dreams are strange and don’t let anybody tell you different. When’s the last time you understood one of your dreams? Don’t bother but do bother with the Dreamer. Like its name, it is strange and other-worldly. Like many who have gone before me, the Dreamer startled me in a bad way at first. It was unlike anything I’ve ever smelled and had to wash it off as it was just too much for me take. Like a persistent dream, it came back a few years later. A wiser nose was able to not only tolerate the opening blast, but kind of enjoyed it. As it played out, it got better and better. By the time the tobacco leaves arrived, I was in heaven. I still don’t understand the opening notes, but it makes perfect sense in the grand scheme of things. Spicy-floral-fruity? Who knows but what leads next is a heavenly blend of tobacco leaves and tonka. The tobacco is moist and wet like chewing tobacco without the mint. The tonka is subtle and discreet. Dreamer is surprisingly light and seems to project well. Perfect for summer nights. Works great as an alternative to D&G PH & Le Male in the clubs. Writer Chandler Burr was correct to praise the Dreamer at the end of Empower of Scent. It’s the stuff of dreams.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

This is the best Vetiver-based fragrance period. Unlike many vetivers on the market, this one is more than one overpowering note. That raw, dry-earth vibe the vetiver carries is here, but the perfumer toned it down considerably and threw in some interesting twists. The opening is quite lemony/citrusy. Not bright lemon-fresh but more like roasted lemons. As the lemons drift away, the spice and cedar/gaiac wood take over to really give a darker glow to the proceedings. A rich, earthy accord of vetvyer and leather follows closely. It’s almost as if there are no mid-notes here but only two stages of development. The lack in development is more than made up for by the quality and the strength of the top and base accords. Since this is a heavier fragrance, it’s perfect for cold and dreary fall/winter days. There is something comforting in its darkness. One of L’Occitane’s best and head-and-shoulders above all frags that lay claim to the vetiver title.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Kashâya by Kenzo

Kashaya suspiciously smells like a twin sister of Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars. Did a little search and found out they were both created by perfumer Sophia Grosjman. Guess what else, they were each created in 1994 - or at least launched in '94. Another coincidence is the list of fragrance notes for each:

Kashaya-

Bergamot, Clementine, Apricot, Hyacinth, Wild Rose
    Jasmine, YlangYlang, Muguet, Cattleya, Coriander, Plum
    Incense, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk

Sun Moon Stars-

Peach, Mandarin, Freesia, Waterlily, White Cloud Rose
    Heliotrope, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Narcisse
    Sandalwood, Amber, Musk

Hmmmmm, Fruity/Green floral/Rose variation/Indolic whites/Sandalwood-Amber-Musk. Sort of leaves me scratching my head. From reading these fragrance notes my mind would probably never have put them together (as being essentially the same)...but my nose does not lie! They are twins ~ even if fraternal, this discovery is actually disappointing. I do like this fragrance, as well as the Lagerfeld, but will give it a neutral to reflect my attitude about fragrance cloning. I just feel duped.

zztopp's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Core notes: iced coffee accord, nutmeg, patchouli, vanilla

Icemen is the diet version of the classic A*men formula. Imagine a neutered Amen running off its witty charms instead of raw sexual energy.

The opening blast of Icemen is a well rendered "cool iced coffee" accord ... a chilly citrusy effect probably created by cleaning up a grapefruit note mixed in with a coffee note stripped of much of its dense roasted cocoa bean aroma peppered with just a smattering of nutmeg spice to give it a little kick. Nothing aquatic or marine here, just a cool iced coffee latte effect. Slowly the Icemen glacier gravitates to a little floral zone (is it rose? jasmine? Its so tinny, I can't tell) before gradually melting into a light vanilla and patchouli base which together with the coffee overtones echoes the wonderful whackiness of A*Men.

Icemen is far less complex and audacious than A*Men. But I guess its also catering to a different crowd. A crowd that can't stand the "concoction of county fair tackiness" that is A*men. Its A*Men stripped down to its bare essentials, enveloped in a fresh and welcoming summer splash. It will probably get discontinued after a couple of years at most (B*Men is waiting in purgatory..), but thats the price you pay for being a seasonal flanker, no matter how pleasant or conformist ..

Rating: 6.75/10.00

scentsitivity's avatar

1828 by Histoires de Parfums

Most fragrances that I would label as fresh, I would unfortunately characterize as generic, synthetic and ultimately boring. Not so with 1828. 1828 is fresh, but I would also describe it as natural, sophisticated and unique. Early mint and eucalyptus dominate and one senses their presence throughout the development. The mint is nicely done; always felt, but not overbearing. Pepper and pine emerge in a subtle manner and in the base a touch of amber. I even received a nice compliment wearing 1828! Definitely worthy of consideration for those looking for a refreshing scent that has class.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Bois des Îles by Chanel

at the very first meeting it is heavy but after sometime and after wearing a few times it is somehow very tempting. Jasmin vanilla almonds and tonka all make an old rich powdery complex that gives you confidence.

distortech's avatar

Insensé Ultramarine Aromatic Ocean - Evening Dream by Givenchy

I wish I would have bought more of this. Simple and fabulous.

Pamplelune's avatar

Forever by Alfred Sung

I bought this right away when I sniffed it in a Macy's many moons ago, during my second ever visit to NYC. It is fresh, sparkling, effervescent, soapy, and romantic with a delicious soft, powdery musk drydown - definitely feminine but different from the Eau de Britneys and Escada limited editions saturating the market. I see it as primarily a summer scent, to be worn with a short flirty skirt or dress. Quite underrated, I think!

SHERO's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sticky! Rather than sumptuous, Chergui was syrupy. A nauseating Stephanotis note, as in Nocturnes by Caron, with a touch sweat, but not enough to redeem it. I bought a full bottle based on some reviews, and that bottle needs a new home fast! Want it? Free to good home.

Anthony87's avatar

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

Boring, boring, boring. Faceless 'wood' contrasted with powder, crap longevity & virtually no sillage. Wear it if you want to smell like every other guy over the 2008 holiday period.
    Also they are VERY HEAVILY promoting this rubbish over the 2008 christmas shopping period at Australian retail, so alot of poor blokes will wake up with this stinker in their stocking this Xmas.
    Nevertheless, you could smell much worse, so I will give this one a neutral - there are much better 'innoffensive' fragrances on the market.

pasha's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

Kelly Caleche is very blond.

A very ice cold blond, donning her fair South Sea pearls by day, big diamonds by night, wearing her hair as a chic chignon; reserved, probably in couture, and always always in control with a constant expression of 'holier-than-thou boredom' on her face... that is until the day dies and she is in the bedroom.

The other facade of this arrogant blond beauty is a savage, flesh/blood woman with a long and dangerous leather Hermes whip in her hand. In the middle of the night -in her privacy- between her sheets she is extremely seductive and almost treacherous to its subtle floral opening.

It is leathery and floral, very dry yet extremely polished and in control. It is very cold, at the same time, smooth as the surface of a Hermes riding boot. Oh and if you're brave enough, she can easily act as a 'he' as well. And he is just as arrogant and handsome.

Snobbery is in Kelly Caleche's blood... like a birth right.

25 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Some associations with Silver Shadow (Davidoff), but The One is much better. Very italian style with nice ingredients.
    Some vanilla or something sweet is here, but good one. Natural sweetness. Exactly.That s it.
    Good longevity and sillage, absolutly recommend it for a romantic night date.
    The name is perfect! The One!

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I have to say this is one of the most pleasant scents I have came across. I like it, but would never use it to impress. There are other more bolder scents for that. No, this soft, fresh scent is as warm as a sunny day in a lemon orchard. Lemon is one of my favorite top notes. Here it last to middle. Quiet a surprise. It is unisex, which in my book renders it a solitairy scent. This is a day off treat, to use when indulging in your favorite hobbies like painting or reading. Uplifting? Yes. Universal? maybe not...

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This is a very holiday-yuletiding scent. I detect pines, cedar, lemon, and vanilla with spices. It is the most traditional of th AG scents I have tried. Unisex? Yes. This one is more manly, however. It reminds me of Christmas Eve as a child. It could easily be used in the summer. It has an outdoor feel to it.

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

I like Mandragore in very small doses. It has this sneaky, dreamlike quality to it that could easily turn nightmarish. Very herbal, almost bitter. I wonder if mandrake is used in here somewhere? If not, it is just as provocative. Unisex? I suppose. It is a little more feminine for my taste. Goths would like this, black eyeliner and lipstick.

bbBD's avatar

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

At first I couldn't see needing a bottle of MdM while simultaneously owning Jicky, but I'm glad I abandoned that poor idea. They share about 90% of their DNA, with MdM being slightly brighter on the citrus end of things and a little bit deeper overall, perhaps because the lavender presents itself more fully earlier in the life of the fragrance.

As with Jicky, there's nothing better than being surrounded by the aroma of MdM. Some people make quite the issue out of civet... I don't get the concern.... if all fragrances could smell this wonderful, we need to use more cat parts in perfumery.

Longevity is the only problem... the strength on the skin drops quite precipitously after about 2 hours into a light skin scent, and it's pretty much fini in about 4 hours. I may experiment with a light Jicky PdT base before applying MdM to see if it makes any difference, but even if it doesn't this negative is so minor compared with the positives of the fragrances as to not really matter.

bbBD's avatar

Gravel for Men by Gravel

Starts off with a burst of lemon that quickly dries down into a mix of lemon, sandalwood, and cocoa. Very nice, simple, and enjoyable to wear. I received a decant as a bonus in a trade, and now I'm going to have to hunt down a bottle.

Mark67's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

A much more innocuous scent than the reviews led me to believe, with an intriguing smoky opening (the only part that connotes "masculine"), turning vanilla all too soon and then lasting a long time as perfumey vanilla. Good quality. Far too sweet for me, definitely unisex.

Mark67's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Truth in labelling--how refreshing! An expert blend of the marquee ingredients. The vetiver is the top note, distinct but light, not an edgy, earthy vetiver. The tonka adds just the right touch of sweetness. The two combine into a beguilingly smoky hazelnut with the vetiver still dominant, but never aggressively so. No, it will not make you hungry, but it is a scent that reaches the palate in a lovely way. It remains very linear; alas it does not last very long, I found myself coming back to this again and again.

TheAttorney's avatar

Musk by Renée

WOW, this is a great scent, really pretty amazing! It is very similar to Musk ravageur but a lot more leather. Additionally, it has less cinnamon in it, however there is still some cinnamon and spice. I really dig this stuff; awesome!

virginie's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

This fragrance has a lively attitude that gives me a lift when I wear it. It's a lovely subtle woodsy smell that doesn't attack or demand attention, although it is certainly worthy of attention. I definitely consider this a unisex fragrance... it is a beautifully balanced scent.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Salt on top of salt, the most marine fragrance I know. This is not aquatic this is the sea. The flower note kills the marvel though,but... I understand it must have some beauty note.
    I like it a lot but sillage is a big problem I have to smell my own hand in order to feel it, I have sprayed it more than 10 times and yet I have the feeling it is not there.
    This fragrance is a great achievement that needs more power only....

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is one of the nicest fragrances I have ever smelled. I have looked at the bottle hundreds of times and never bother to even try it, how wrong I was.
    I like it from begging to end, I can wear it to a formal meeting, to a night out of just for everyday casual use. I never tried Himalaya but if it smells like this or better I will rush and buy a bottle.

I think this fragrance is simple perfect and just made it to my top 5 list.
    The first day I wore it I got a couple of compliments.
    However I did not like it right away, I liked it after one full week of wearing Opium pour homme Perfume, trying to figuring out what was the big deal about Opium. The big deal was no deal.
    I gave up Opium and wore XS and it was like breathing again.
    I am giving two big thumbs up to this master piece.

Nostalgie's avatar

Ed Hardy Woman by Christian Audigier

Candy candy candy. I would would write my own review, but what it comes down to is this: What purplebiord7said.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

It's funny all I detect on me are the white flowers [the top notes and most if not all the middle notes]...none of the woodiness of the bottom notes. I do love this fragrance however...I'm a huge tuberose fan.

Unlike L'Artisan Parfumeur's spicy tuberose scent (Tubereuse), Fracas is a buttery, creamier masterpiece. All the facets of each flower are detectable in a very well blended concoction. It does have a hint of spiciness to it, perhaps it's the tang of the peach. The sillage is quite perceivable and the longevity is very lasting. Some have stated that this is a "sweet" scent, IMHO sweet to me comes to mind sugary, I don't find Fracas sugary, it's cloying in a well substantial fragrance or like a full bouquet, but not sugary at all. Ferrari Black is a sweet fragrance.

I find that a lot of men (such as myself) are wearing or venturing out into trying women's fragrances such as Fracas, but some if not most will find this one too feminine. Even some department stores such as Nordstrom are marketing women's fragrances to men, for one example, Tom Ford's Black Orchid...there is a set with the fragrance and body moisturizer under the "New for Men" section.

I find that if you are a strong well grounded guy who is comfortable in his own skin and wants something different and daring, then Fracas is for you!

Robert Piguet's Fracas is an evening and formal fragrance and is nice worn under a suit and tie or a tux. This scent should also be applied with a light hand due to the fact that it is a cloying, pungent fragrance.

I do highly recommend this masterpiece!!!

Inkeri's avatar

Finland Finland

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I wanted to find a new fragrance for my wedding day - very special scent for a special day. I tried many, oh so many novelties (and classics too), but all of them became disappointments after a while. This one somehow took my heart. I had never had it before, but it felt just right for that day. And I never had it since. Now smelling this brings back the memories of that happy, rainy day some years ago...

pancks's avatar

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

If I hadn't tried Paestum Rose first and fallen for it, I might have appreciated Magnolia Romana more. But I did and I'm afraid I don't. It is a pleasant enough fragrance, but just is so very close to the skin and faded so fast that I was left longing for the punch that goes on forever with Paestum Rose.

MsElleEmme's avatar

Adrienne Vittadini by Adrienne Vittadini

It's such an interestingly layered scent, and like feotidus says below, it's difficult to categorise. So the best way to describe it is warm, citrus, mossy and soapy. I have received compliments from women, but not from men. Mind you, I don't often get compliments from men about my perfume. I think most of them don't notice or don't care what it is, it just smells "nice". My brothers notice and usually ask. Perhaps the skill runs in the family? Anyway, back to the perfume in question. I give it a thumbs up for its uniqueness because the only thing that comes close in having similar traits is Dolce & Gabbana.

MsElleEmme's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Yes it's a little skanky, as an_oud_girl hilariously put it. But when I wear I can't stop smelling my wrist all day. I find myself thinking it's hot and then thinking it's a little too hooker. But expensive hooker, I think. A high end escort in 1965. It's a perfume that should be used thoughtfully and sparingly. Don't wear it to your boyfriend's parent's place, a job interview. Do wear it to a rock concert or hot date. Although I defend this perfume, I give it a neutral as I don't think it's very convincing on me.