Fragrance Reviews from November 2008

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Mmmmh... i have it... I think it's good... but it's very very common!!!! Lemon lemon lemon... something else?

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I think Gucci by Gucci is one of my favourite fragance... I really love it at all... maybe Gucci's best work

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

I'm from Florence... from Tuscan and it's true... it's really the tuscan soul... When I tried it I started to cry because it's my city... my country!! Absoulutely to have!

starlightexp's avatar

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

I love this scent. True it can start off as a little soapy when I frist put it on I was a little bit put off by the laundry scent, but give it a few min and it mellows out to a nice warm spicy amber with a lavender twist. It's fantastic. For me the scent has lasted a good long time, and so far my office loves it.

starlightexp's avatar

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

A great mixer. So this is a real nice fruity/smoky scent on it's own but the best thing to do with this is spray it on top of one of your other scents. It starts out sweet, very sweet to me but if you spray it on say an amber or woory scent it takes on the other scent and adds a real nice layer to it. It's one that people always ask me what I have on when I'm wearing it .

WendyD's avatar

Paris Premières Roses by Yves Saint Laurent

This EDT goes on exactly like a faded version of regular Paris that's 4 or 5 hours old. This in itself might be manageable, but after you apply premieres roses, it only lasts about 2 hours! Truly, it has only about 25% the shelf life of regular Paris, and costs the same. If it were 75% less, I'd happily buy it and keep reapplying, but...no. My curiosity compelled me to try it, even though it's long discontinued and I had to really hunt to find it. Verdict: It should be discontinued, since it's not original or lasting enough to merit staying on.

Overall: If you like Paris, you'll like this, since the smell is identical to regular Paris, no difference. However, the "fade" factor is a huge disappointment.

elpi's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

I bought my HM EDP from Sephora, and I instantly love the smell.
    It's a very long lasting fragrance. I highly recommend it.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Yes I ashamed to say I own this. I bought it in my young and foolish days, but today I would never dare to walk around smelling like burnt cotton candy.

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

This scent is so classy!!! Before I tried and fell in love with this scent I thought that to have a leather scent it had to smell masculine oh was I wrong this amazing scent smells almost completely of leather but still smells very feminine

Memoirs of a Geisha by Fresh

smell like a light white floral with a hint of orange fruit very nice for a summer day when you want to wear something light band uncomplicated.

Féerie by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is such a expensive fragrance it should smell a little more like it. I mean it's a perfectly good scent,just not for $120. The top notes kind of remind me of Versace Red Jeans which is a $20 perfume.

kbe's avatar

FCUK Him by French Connection

On first spray it smells like a slab of just unwrapped baseball card pink bubble gum with that light dusting of some kind of white powder..

Not much of a middle note noted. More of the same. Not unpleasant but notable it isn't.

Drys down to a generic sweet intensity that holds close to the skin. All in all a fragrance that seems more subtle in nature when compared to other masculine marketed fragrances.

04th November, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2013)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

FDM begins with a sharp, ultra-floral-fresh burst of petitgrain and neroli, then quite a linear neroli with fern mid then a slightly powdery base consisting of coumarin and possibly something else, which I fail to identify. The base is sweeter and more masculine, for those of you who have concerns about your macho image on wearing this. An excellent, sparkling and vivacious take on neroli, as compared to the much more classic and traditionally orangey neroli in Penhaligon's Castile, for example. Sillage is quite projected, life is long. Neroli, is dominant throughout, so check it out in neroli-dominant fragrances first, like Castile or Acqua Di Parma. For the youngish, urban man who is confident in himself. One small note to those hinting at having to be of a certain persuasion to wear this; when did nature decide that certain flowers were for one gender or another? Get real. An intriguingly vibrant scent, my only gripe is an ever-so-slight synthetic edge to it, it may just be my untrained nose, however. Oh, and Baudelaire's way overrated.

05th November, 2008 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2008)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Dunhill London by Dunhill

When something smells of nothing, or everything all at once I call it an amorphous mess. And this is one. Synthetic, doesn't even attempt to be different from most other 'designer' releases of late or be new or innovative. As Foetidus puts it, it has that ubiquitous 'conglomerate' note present in so many sellout frags.. As for calling it 'London', I am insulteed as a Londoner and it should've been called 'Palookaville' as it is nowhwere. Oh, where is Dunhill Edition or D? Ho Hum.

davinalondon's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

its back and its great.....so delighted that this much loved fragrance is back in production, staying power excellent, bottle is classic and a wonderful sillage....

JaimeB's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Spice and herbal notes lead off, with a white floral and resinous note to follow. Later, patchouli and woods with soft leather. This strikes me as a casual or work scent more than as anything really dressy, but it could probably be stretched to that end. Being a modern scent, it can defy convention as far as that. This harks back more to the original Polo (Green), and I think I prefer both of these to Polo Blue, Black, or Double Black.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

It´s too light and doesn´t last very long I expected something heavy instead of a breeze of fragrance

Acier Aluminium by Creed

I am not a Creed fan in a slightest bit, but of which I have tried, this is the one I like most.

Very unique and complex blend of fruits and amber with very distant spicynes. Quite subtle, wears close to skin but lasts a long time. I get the banana / Juicy Fruity thing at the beginning, but it soon dries down for an highly aromatic ambergris scent with hint of spices and vanilla. Fruits too still there, but in a most gentle amounts.
    Overall, if the one wonders what might natural ambergris smell like, then this one is a worthy example of that and so definitely a must try.

Unisex scent, and the one and only Creed scent to this date I have ever even considered to be full bottle worthy.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

I have only tried Eau de Parfum version. And by the way, as you may well be aware, when Boucheron launched this 1991 it was the first fragrance ever for men to be called Eau de Parfum. That`s one heck of a credit.

The scent itself is perfect example of a fragrance that will deserve neutral rating from me : It is very nice scent, well done, unoffensive, classy and.....very boring in the end.
    In other words, good stuff - it`s just not for me. Still highly recommended if you`re into a timeless citrus woody blend that smells masculine and everything but artificial.

Could easily be worn anywhere, anytime. Good choice if you want to use only one single scent in your life.

About Men by Bruno Banani

Completely boring modern fruity woody fragrance with sad lasting power. Has some light spices to it. Very subtle and round, has no compelling elements whatsoever.

To me, absolutely pointless stuff.

Night Fever by Chupa Chups

There is that whole Chupa Chups line at my local super market, and I have (shamefully?) smelled few of them, including this.
    Disturbing stuff.

But here`s a question : Is it disturbing because,

a) It is ridicilously cheap smelling, offputting fragrance in general.

or...

b) I am just pissed off and painfully jealous for those young guys who have a chance to smell this edible fruity-candy scent on some young girls during the midnight hours of some saturday night.

???

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

*ehem*

Kind of silly tragedy of a scent for me : This is my girlfriends absolute favourite, and it is one of the two scents that she uses as a daywear; another one is H&M`s Liquid Karl.

I hate this scent. I hate Neonatura Cocoon. And, I have tried to tell this to my Dear, but all I hear is that "as long as you use Miel de Bois, those horrible oud scents and other crap, you should shut up!. I like this, it is cozy and it makes me feel good!"
    OK, that`s fair. And since I am not gonna let go of some of my biggest favourites, I don`t have a choice : I somehow must get along with this fragrance.

It`s hard though. Disturbing powdery-sour-dirty-sweet patchouli fragrance with vanilla and cacao thrown along. I`m not a big fan of patch if it`s not well blended, and this shows the worst side of it. I certainly see the similarities to SL`s Borneo 1834, and I have never liked that one either. Also, somehow this makes me think of an ugly collision between Dior Homme and Musc Ravageur, and there are two scents more which I`m not fond of.

Love is strong and for sure we have fun with each other no matter how we smell, but I hope she finishes her bottle soon and is unable to find it anymore.
    My fortune and misfortune is that she is very gentle on the trigger ; 2 sprays max. This way the bottle will last for a long time, but at least I am able to breath when I`m near her.

Btw, we have a weird relationship overall :) Couple of oddballs here...

I end this review now.

odysseusm's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

A very orange, tangy opening… more powerful than I expected. It is like the zesty oil expressed from squeezing an orange skin. It softens into nice florals. It is a bit sweet, especially with the lily note. I can appreciate it, but I wouldn’t wear it.

odysseusm's avatar

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

The vanilla and spice make their appearance almost immediately, freshened by citrus at this early stage. The chocolate is a velvety sort. Quite a foody scent, and it seems very feminine to me. Although initially I can stand the vanilla, I find that it gets heavier and sweeter, and thus my mild appreciation withdraws. I just don’t like vanilla.

rickie's avatar

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

I also like Vanderbilt. I also noticed when I bought a bottle of Extravagance by Givency that it smelled alike to me. The notes might explain it.
    Vanderbilt: Top notes: Aldehyde, bergnot oil, green notes, lavender, orange blossom, pineapple.
    Middle notes: Carnation, Jasmine, orris, rose tuberrose, ylang-ylang
    Base notes: Cinnamon, civet, musk, opoponax, sandal, vanilla & vetiver.
    Extravagance by Givency notes are:
    Top notes: Green madarin, Tagete, Pink peppercorn.
    Middle notes: Jasmine, orange blossom, violet leaves
    Base notes: Sandlewood, cedarwood, musk, ambrox.
    Personally, I think Extravagance is more refined and I perfer it, but if you can't find it, choose Vanderbilt.

rickie's avatar

Le Jardin by Eden Classics

Very nice, brings back memories. Soft, feminine and the advertizement had Jane Seymour in it. It said, "if you want romance to come on strong, you have to come on soft."

distortech's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

An awesome fragrance from the seventies. I rank this right up there with the much newer Égoïste by Chanel in regards to the spices in the drydown (namely, coriander), but the distinction is there and there only - these are two completely different beasts, both of extreme good quality.

The opening of this is pure citrus with a heavy dose of lemon and bergamot that is just fantastic and, may I add, to my nose, not one bit dated. The middle notes are very well blended - developing into a very sophisticated woody floral that is sooo very smooth and sweet, yet still sharp and lemony. The end result is pure spice with a bit of musk and the ever present citrus overtone mixed with benzoin and tonka giving it a slight vanilla appeal . . . absolutely heavenly.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Iris Oriental / Iris Taïzo 14 by Parfumerie Generale

Last winter I went through an iris jag and tried a couple dozen iris fragrances, so it takes something special to impress me in this category. Iris Taizo has done just that.

There are a variety of ways to interpret iris. I've seen it done wet, earthy, and rooty in Iris Silver Mist, soapy in Iris Bleu Gris, softly green in Bois d'Iris, tangy in Iris 39, and dry and powdery in Boid d'Argent. Iris Taizo belongs to the last category - and is, as a matter of fact, strikingly similar to Bois d'Argent, with a small touch of dry soapiness all its own. This is an interpretation that isn't powdery in the baby powder sense, but rather has dry, almost dusty feel. Anyone whose smelled orris powder knows the scent I'm speaking of.

Around this core is built a subtly nuanced blend of cedar, cardamon, honey and vanilla, the last two sweetening and otherwise very woody blend.

This is labeled feminine here, but is totally unisex to my nose. A little rough around the edges, but a quality fragrance with very good sillage and longevity.

05th November, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2009)

bbBD's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

I fell in love with Jicky on first spray... the combination of lavender and vanilla, brightened with citrus is just irresistible. Much ado is made of the civet component - I can't say I care - whatever gives Jicky its weird, fun, sparkly personality is fine with me.

I own a bottle of the EdT, and my only complaint is that it's gone in about 2 hours. I have samples of both the EdP and PdT... I believe the PdT is the longest lasting of the three, and I may just invest in one of these concentrations for the sole purpose of mixing with the EdT. Even still, the PdT lasts about 4 hours.

If you haven't tried Jicky, seek it out. There's obviously a reason it's still selling well 120 years after being introduced.

bbBD's avatar

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

An interesting, lightly spicy floral oriental. There's definitely a powdery edge to this, but it makes for a nice balance with the spice notes, which dominate over the carnation. The vanilla is never too sweet, and I'd swear there's a touch of tobacco in here. In some ways this is very de-tuned version of Feuilled de Tabac - at least in spirit. If you can get past the powderiness, there's no reason a guy can't wear this. The spiciness of the floral actually reminds me of the opening of vintage Equipage.