Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

bakhmet's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I was buying something else at the Guerlain boutique when the associate decided to give me some samples. Shalimar was one of them, and just for kicks I decided to give this "woman's" scent a try. I cannot stop sniffing my arm! Help!!! This scent is gorgeous! I think this is much nicer on me than Habit Rouge, which I have been using as a vanilla scent, but HR is much sharper and loud. It is somewhat similar to Jicky (which I also love) but taken out of the countryside and put into the city, although my love affair with Jicky still continues. Shalimar results in something that is a little powdery on my skin, but also "dry" in the right amounts. I do not feel self conscious wearing this. I will buy this...for myself.

JaimeB's avatar

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A rich top of citrus and other fruit notes leads to a dense and heady heart of rose, white florals, carnation, orchid, orris, a hint of leather, and vetiver; all this is rooted in a base of vanilla, sandalwood, amber, tonka bean, and civet. The overall effect is rich and voluptuous for a blissful moment, whence it tones down to a warm and slightly animalic effect; then the drydown goes through the florals and leather to a purring oriental accord softly whispered like warm breath in the ear. The whole is one of the gentlest, most captivating romantic voyages a perfume can offer. Discontinued, very hard to find, but if you can find it, grab it and make it last for as long as you can.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Love in Black by Creed

I find this very similar to Insolence by Guerlain, it's just a bit richer and darker and the blackcurrent becomes more pronounced in the drydown. It's a nice fragrance but I'll just stick with Insolence.

tradesman's avatar

China China

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A true classic fragrance, beyond reproach. 19 negative comments from heathens who really know little about a class act. This scent will still be with us long after many of the perfumes listed on this website have been discontinued.

Zibeline's avatar

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

Absolutely Cedric on that play-doh note and a very beautiful version. I was not expecting to love this as I thought the Ylang note would make it a second-rate Samsara, but eventhough I smell more Ylang than you do, I agree that this AYY is more a woody oriental than the expected floral. I am a sandalwood freak and EL has made a beauty here.

If you expect either of the new PCs to be like the mother scent, you will be in for a letdown. Neither reminds me of the original Private Collection in any way. It's not even as linear as most ELs, the bergamot and geranium fly away pretty quickly and it does not settle on my skin for a good 30 minutes.

FBW if I can find "a deal"

ATM's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I actually like this! Smelled it first over the weekend in Sephora then again in Neiman's. While certainly not spectacular, GH is definitely worth a try!

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a "mood" fragrance for me. As a woman, I receive many compliments when I wear Blv Notte for men - no one has mentioned that it smells too masculine. It's refreshing and rich at the same time, like those delicious ginger candies dipped in chocolate, yet the wood notes prevent it from smelling like food. My boyfriend wears it occasionally, too, and it is sexy on him as well. For those searching for something unique and eccentric.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

For once every review is pretty much dead on:
    Dark, Evil? Spicy blast, Like nothing else, Chai tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg...
    All very correct. Certainly reserved for fall and winter as the combination of spices tends toward the smoky, too close to the fire place kinda thing. It is very strong and not recommended for casual use. It does settle down nicely on the skin, but it is certainly NOT for everybody. I wouldn't necessarily name is Christmas though...there is no pine present, and I don't think there is Christmas without pine.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Follia di Aquarama by Follia di Aquarama

Smells like Gendarme to me, except this makes an attempt not to smell like SoftSoap brand of hand soap. It has a sweet angle you can't smell until you stop inhaling the scent...I don't know how come that is, but it is pretty cool.
    Sticky blue yet clean is the overall effect...I like it.
    For those who like this but want it to be stronger...try Gendarme for men.

scentsitivity's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

For me, four things dominate Yatagan: (1) a potent celery (or celery salt) note, (2) pine, (3) leather and (4) an animalic note (castoreum, I presume). Wearing Yatagan makes me think of rich stew of meat and vegetables, with some leather and pine needles thrown in for good measure! A powerful and unique masculine fragrance, but one I do not enjoy at all.

scentsitivity's avatar

Real for Him by American Eagle

Starts out with a competing blast of citrus and fir. The citrus fades and the fir remains. At this point if feels a lot like an air freshener and I ask myself do I want to endure this any longer? The fir then gives place to a slightly sweet lush green accord. At this point I actually like what I smell. So my feelings about Real are mixed; hence a neutral rating.

Unspoken by Avon

Not real flowery, I don't know the notes, but its a nice fragrance, and has staying power.

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

I have to agree...this is very girly. I guess the only thing is, I wish it had more staying power.

Extravagance D'Amarige by Givenchy

This smells like Vanderbilt, but its much better. Too bad they discontinued it. Booh!

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Well, on me this turns to a weird smell of "buttered Popcorn" I know. But, I am not giving up on it. Ten years from now, I'll probably love it. Right now I am going with a neutral review. In case your wondering: I've tried EDT, EDP & Parfum. Nothing changes.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Wonderful! Smells like heaven. I believe male or female could use this.

Galanos by Galanos

This reminds me of a more refined Tabu....the Vintage of course, not that reformulated stuff. Anyway, it only reminds me of it, as Galanos has a floral drydown. It is really nice....I can't understand why the good ones get discontinued. I love this!

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Resin and nothing else. I could never enjoy any myrrh containing scent. So strong that i cannot take lily or white musk which i like both.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Just Breathe by CB I Hate Perfume

The earth note which Christopher Brosius likes and used in other fragrances of him, like black march, to see a flower, winter 1972. This time accompanied and sweetened by bamboo and masculinized with cedar. Nice and natural.

KingFisher's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I am truly in love with this fragrance as it starts off nicely with heavy agarwood & some oud & leaving the smokey sweetness as it settlels down on my skin, Great sillage with just one or two sprays. My top most favourate, Highly recommanded !!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The majority of Armani's clothing has the initials AJ or Armani plastered all over it -- why do that -- it's so cheesy. I imagine people who buy clothes that are a walking advertisement for the designer, wear ADG also. I love Armani suits and would like to own several, but the House just can't hack it with perfumery - be honest.
    Come on -- let's evolve. Stop buying this.

Aramis by Aramis

From an iconoclast. Stop patronising this fragrance. Aramis was pretty horrible in the sixties -- I wouldn't even toss it down a smelly drain now. Cristobal PH (just one example) has been discontinued after a few years play and this is still being produced. Let that sink in.

Io Capri by Carthusia

I'm not normally a great fan of minty fragrances -- always evokes the smell of dentists waiting rooms, but this is a beautiful mint, and mixed with the figs and tea later, even better. IO may not be ultra expensive or fashionable, but it is a fragrance that's way up there with the best and not to be patronised. A really wonderful sleeper.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

I can't edit my review of Eau de Gloire from the same House, but that review was for Ambre Russe (doh!), which I wouldn't wear -- the amber being too bitter for my tastes.
    Eau de Gloire is a different beast and a perfectly acceptable lemony / tobacco fragrance with great sillage and longevity and very bottleworthy. This thumbs up is for EDG and not this one.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

The tobacco in this smells exactly like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes (before sparking). The mixing with the jasmine and fruit is quiet innovative and elicits back street clubs at 4am surrounded by women (just a guess though). But there's the caveat for me -- I think this fragrance slightly sits on the feminine side of unisex.

tanto's avatar

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

This a great scent. I purchased it at Bloomingdale's in Dec '92. I really enjoyed wearing it. It's a mixture of cotton candy and tobacco. It was very avante garde for that time. I would definitely buy it again but I can't find it anywhere.

surreality's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Chanel Allurre pour homme is a fresh fragrance with citrus topnotes layered over a wooded and spicy amber base. Chanel has created a well balanced, pleasant but very generic fragrance. Nothing about this really distinguishes it from any one of the other hundred well balanced, fresh fragrances on the market. Suited more to the young man who wants to smell nice than it is to someone who is after a more distinctive scent.

Shade's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I'll start with saying I tried the original which was a mstake. Poor longevity. I really can't understand how so many people do not have an issue with this when 1 person who approaches it (me), does. For the amount of money forked out for the original, it is quite disturbing.

Nevertheless, I was hesitant when I approached the intense version however, the next day, was awe-struck. When paying 70-100 dollars for a fragrance, I expect it to last long (at least 8hours) and this intense version surely fits the bill. Plus, the scent stays true to the original in a better, well rounded and thicker fragrance. Absolutely wonderful.

From first blast is the citrus which warms up to cinnamon and incense, with a hint of the citrus. It is quite a unique scent and a compliment getter. Very inoffensive and perfect for anytime where. It is a thick scent so it need be appied sparingly.

After the first hour, the cinnamon really begins to make its appearance known. I've never really come across a cinnamon so well rounded before. The scent itself, is from what I believe because of the cinnamon and incense, a very exotic one at that. I own a few bottles of Opium Pour Homme EDP and this certainly reminds me of that. It comes across as an attractive remake of a classy scent which had no longevity or sillage but yet, does have much potential due to its fresh/smooth mixture of ingredients, only to make it unique thus, exotic.

I mentioned above if I spend the money, I want something worth it. With Issey, you pay a heavy duty price, but for me as I did with Opium EDP, went ahead and payed it because it lasts and lasts and lasts as if it were an EDP; and in addition, holds to the classy, well rounded, rich but exotic blend of ingredients that when you are in contact with someone, will make them wanting to getting closer to you, and perhaps you getting closer to yourself.

If you want a unique scent and for those Opium lovers who unfortunately do not have access to the EDP version of it or cannot afford to pay the high price of it, hunt down Issey Intense. It is somewhat difficult to find but is accessible and cheaper in price. You won't regret it.

....I wish I could have said that when I purchased the original.

Ostranha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

Wonderful...
    I expected something more raw from this concept, more of raw unhibited male sexuality, like the pictures by Tom of Finland suggests.
    Yes, this is masculine, but is a very comforting and positive kind of masculinity, more like the safe feeling of a strong father that won't let anything bad happen to you. I feel so calm and safe smelling this perfume.
    It´s like making a journey through the symbols of manhood. A carpenter working with wood, the smell of burnt wood and tools. A slight scent of rubber, gasoline and the smell inside of a car. At the same time it's sophisticated and tender, like a well-mannered man, sure of himself and what he stands for. Genius!

Nostalgie's avatar

Kors by Michael Kors

I hope Kors does not disappear altogether, because it is unique and brilliant, though certainly not right for everyone or for every occasion. The top notes are listed as red wine and rose, and it does have a delightful, boozy quality. The strong masculine note seems to dance a dramatic tango with the strong feminine note. Although I don't smell cigarettes (and some people do), Kors makes me feel like I'm in a smokey bar or at a great party in a New York Loft. If New Year's Eve were a fragrance, it would be Kors.