Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Etienne Aigner No. 2 by Etienne Aigner

First bought EA no 2 in complete ignorance in 1981 and have repurchased repeatedly over the years. Definitely one of my all-time favourites. Will always buy whenever i come accross it. Classy and lasts quite well.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros. Sensual. Different. Difficult. Powerful. Unapologetic. Primal. Animalic. GREAT. End of Story.

Truth Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

I prefer the sensual version. Very unique. def. not for everyone. One of the best of Calvin Klein and probably his most underated. It is exquisite and makes me feel sexy.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

My close friend in h.s. used to wear this when we would go out to parties. It was her mother's. I am thinking of buying it for her just because. It smelled so sophisticated on her.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I used to adore this when it came out. I was 19 and knew nothing about fragrance. My mother had never worn any. I happened upon it at the mall and could not resist. I thought it smelled wonderful on me. Fast forward - 15 or so years later. I bought it again. Too bad ...smells nothing like I remembered. Did I change that much?

Miracle by Lancôme

This is a fine fragrance to wear to work. Won't offend anyone and is not overpowering. I won't be repurchasing it though. Too ho-hum. I like the pepper accord in Notorious better and I prefer a sexier fragrance for most of the time.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I find this to be one of my favorites. I know it is turning cold outside when I start reaching for this one. I think it is tres sexy and unique. Might be a bit too spicy for some people.

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

This one smells so warm and sensual. At least it does for me. I was not expecting much but I find it comforting. i love to spray it on right before bed. I have not received any compliments on it though so maybe it does not smell as good as I think. I do think it is powdery and reminds me of a subdued Organza indecence.

New San Antonio Rose's avatar

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

This is the smell of Twin Peaks, my favorite TV show. Walking in the woods at midnight, to the eerie themes of Angelo Badalamenti. When I go to visit my relatives in the Pacific Northwest, I get this strong smell of clean, clean air with the pine woods all around. Violet weaves in and out of Ormonde Woman (and I am no violet lover, but it is not candied or sweet in this fragrance.) The drydown is a soft amber, not terribly interesting, but I will still give it a thumbs up, because no other perfume I have tried has reproduced the "head-space" of the Northwest like this. It is rather addictive.

Ormonde Jayne has a lovely sample kit that they will ship anywhere in the world for free. It comes in a beautiful presentation box. A class act all around.

"If you go out in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise..."

Jklax221's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Diddy decided the name of this scent after considering the moral implications of what he had done to Creed's MI.

Regardless, it smells close enough to be good!

Pi by Givenchy

I've only recently got into the habit of wearing any fragrance, and this was one of the first few I bought, I'd read reviews of it, and I liked the stylish box, and it was on sale too, so I went for it. It really is quite a sweet fragrance, with vanilla over riding the other notes to start with, it also smells like the sugar that has started to caramelise on the top of freshly baked puff pastry, and is a delicious "eat me " smell. I would reccomend it as a winter scent, with it being very warm, after the initial sweetness dies down this leaves a little bit more in the way of cinnamon, and citrus, in a marmelade / Grand Marnier kind of way, with some vague floral notes too, but if you don't get a good smell of it, you will probably just notice the vanilla. It isn't the longest lasting fragrance I've used, but a couple of sprays at the start of the evening should last through. If you have insecurities about feeling manly, then this probably won't suit you, but if you can handle walking round smelling like a cross between a marzipan factory and a bakery at Christmas, then there is a good chance that women will be queing up for a taste. I like this, all things considered, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. Not for the reason that I don't like it, but because there are so many other fragrances on the market that I haven't tried, and it would be silly to stick with this, as somewhat lacks depth.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

This is an exotic combination of smells, but not in the classic exotic sense, as there are only a few of the usual exotic ingredients such as cedarwood and sandalwood present in what I can detect. The main part of the smell is made up with the poignant cactus and kumquat notes, which will draw attention to you as they unusual and distinctive. Below these are the warm and more traditionally masculine cedarwood, musk, and sandalwood, which will be more noticable after the stronger and more vibrant cactus and kumquat have receded a bit. On the whole this isn't a particularly warm fragrance though, with the top notes being more coldly refreshing, with the sweetness coming through more than the limited amount of warmth that is in here only later. It is certainly an attention grabbing fragrance, but once the indecipherable tropical initial smells have died down, it becomes more balanced, with its alluring properties coming through best after a few hours. I've noticed the fragrance lingering until the morning, after wearing this on an evening before, so for lastability, it scores well too. I enjoy wearing this, but I wouldn't recommend it for daytime use due to its distracting powerfulness.

Adidas Urban Spice by Adidas

I received a 100ml bottle of this over 3 years ago as a gift. It is quite inoffensive, pleasant even, but doesn't really do anything to distinguish itself. It's clearly a masculine fragrance, with spice notes dominating, along with a bit of citrus, mandarin or something similar I think. I've occasionally thought I could detect a tobacco undertone, but was never quite sure, as most of the time the top notes mask anything underneath. Base notes I have been able to detect were musk, cedar, and perhaps sandalwood, but they're not particularly rich, and are outweighed by the more concentrated sweeter notes, making the scent somewhat superficial. I think there are a couple of floral scents in here too, which add to the sweetness, I can't tell what they are specifically, apart from Lavendar, which is quite easy to distinguish. This is definitely daytime wear, being bright, fresh, fruity, and airy. Considering the price of this, (just checked it online), it really isn't bad, I've smelt fragrances that cost more than twice as much as this that smell similar. If you want a cheap everyday scent, then this should do the job. I personally don't normaly wear a fragrance usually during the day, so this doesn't get a massive amount of use. It holds quite well though, lasting a reasonable length of time, but don't expect it to develop, it just retains that same sweet spiciness throughout.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Translated literally: "The Smell of an Idiot". This smells like toothpaste and the kind of "blue" aftershave a used appliance salesman would probably wear.....period.

Adidas Sport / Sport Field by Adidas

This, to me, was quite offensive upon first whiff out of the atomizer (especially if more than 3-4 sprays are applied). However, within ~20 minutes, the dry down becomes rather pleasant. It has a kind of 1979ish macho vibe, along with a less refined aura of the original Polo in the green/gold flask. I would probably like to smell this on somebody else, rather than on myself. A neutral review doesn't really do this scent justice, although a "thumbs-up" would be inaccurate as well; we'll have to settle for neutral!

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

Very orange, very grapefruit, very ordinary. Quite pleasant, quite reminiscent of a CK scent, quite OK to wear on a day to day basis during the warmer seasons on sunny days. In summary, this stuff is pleasant and unoffensive, yet very passe and forgettable.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I really, really like this. I don't own this now, but I remember buying a bottle in 2004 from a discount bin. I picked it randomly, because I liked the way the bottle looked....like smoky, expensive whiskey! I opened it and sprayed a few times on my neck; it instantly overwhelmed me of powerful, yet so-so masculinity. After the initial trial, I probably didn't use it again for months. When I did, I think it was mid-autumn or so; This most likely gave it a whole new dimension. I rapidly fell in love with the facets of the potion which I never knew existed. Basically, the rest is history; there is no point in rehashing what the stuff smells like, since all the other posters have covered it accurately.

Think of a well-built stone house in Camden, New Jersey or something, with a library/study lined wall to wall with ancient leather-bound books, mahogany desk, ivory letter-opener and paperweights, rich pipe smoke wafting about, and a snifter of straight, room-temperature Jameson. Since I'm at the computer, I think I'll order some off ebay right now!

aisle's avatar

England England

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I love this fragrance, it lasts ages on me and is so so yummy!!
    I only gave it 4 stars though because some people don't like it and it's not very friendly to others

aisle's avatar

England England

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this!!
    My boyfriend loves it and can't stop smelling me when I wear it!
    It's sweet but not offensive and makes me feel warmmm

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I fell in love with this when it came out. I only where it during warm weather. My dr. who has never commented on anything "personal" asked what smelled so good when he came into the examining room. Now I have gone there for 15 years on a regular basis. I find it to be sexy and I feel confident when I am wearing it.

06 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2011)

Samsara by Guerlain

oh Samsara...I was at an outdoor cafe in Bordeaux, France when a woman walked by leaving a trail of the most beautiful smell. I was in heaven. A few weeks later I visited a Parfumerie when une vendeuse let me try on the newest guerlain. I recognized it instantly from the cafe. I was but a poor college student but I had to have it. It was 250 francs. (about 50 dollars) That was nearly 20 years ago. I did not have money for food except bread for about 3-4 days and had to cut back with other things. But I was in love and it was so worth it. What a memory. Unfor. as I got older and had my children, my chemistry changed. It stinks on me now. I love it on others. I hope one day to be able to wear this "first love" again.
    I still have never had a fragrance "coup de foudre" like that and probably never will again. Just like first love.

06 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2013)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I find this inoffensive and rather bland in moderation. Irritating and overbearing in excess, and I must admit I enjoy it best when I don't wear it at all. I'm a fan of oranges and pepper--and the house of Hermes but I can't fathom what the fuss is all about. Oh, well. Live and let live . . .

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Usher for Men by Usher

This is generic purgatory.
    I only give this acquatic woods a neutral instead of a thumbs down because graded on a a Curve---Er...I mean a curve, there are others which are truly hell.

CoL's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

Wowsers! Why on earth did they discontinue this beauty?! Thank goodness its back! I must say I only get a "suggestion" of Opium PH, as in along the same lines. This is far better IMO. I really don't like Opium PH, but this has a wonderful spice that Opium is missing. A far better fragrance IMO.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

To me just a weaker, more watery and less distinct version of Dior Homme. Why this version when the original has short longevity and very shy sillage? I honestly don't get any fresher or newer notes in this so would not bother to buy as well as DH original. Overall as good as DH if you only want to wear it to work but probably unnecessary as they are too similar. Thumbs up though as the original (thus this) is brilliant. A plus is that it comes in a big 125ml vaporasiteur.

JaimeB's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Borneo 1834 is not quite like anything else. The camphor note seems to come on quite strong on my skin right off, with just a hint of the cocoa from the base note. This strikes me as a rather strange combination, especially because I imagined the patchouli would chime in first, but on me, it waits a bit longer to appear. While it's waiting, a hint of white florals begins to emerge, along with the spicy edge of cardamom. Galbanum begins to enter the picture, and then, finally, the strains of patchouli begin to play, along with a touch of labdanum. This is a beautiful scent which unfolds quite dramatically, with good longevity and moderate sillage. Later, when the rest of the players have gone to bed, patchouli and cocoa remain to provide the famous signature of Borneo 1834 that everyone talks about.

lefay's avatar

Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto

This reminds me a bit of Carnal Flower, but without the cool, camphorous opening note and with a bit more complexity. The tuberose, jasmine, and lily accord, indolic and overtly sexual, is balanced by spices that cut the sweetness. This is a lush, womanly scent that doesn't mess around!

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

What a treat!

I would put this into the same general bracket as Kenzo Amour in terms of audience and appropriateness. I would say it was suitable for all ages, including young girls, and it's perfectly acceptable for work or any kind of setting where you want to keep your perfume inoffensive, such as the theatre, dinner and work, especially in caring professions.

My first impression was of sweetness, exactly like sugar hitting your tongue. Because I'm used to rose-flavoured Turkish Delight, I expected a distinct rose, but this has none. The initial sweetness wasn't cloying and soon calmed down into a soft, sweet, almondy, slightly woody gentleness. It lasted all day long and was very pleasing even after more than a dozen hours. Indeed, it was still subtly lingering the following morning.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I can see what the appeal is. To me there was a rounded sweet opening that then unfolded into a smooth peach, I would guess it's the same aromachemical as is used in Guerlain's Mitsouko, Attrape Coeur and Vol de Nuit Evasion (please note it's Evasion, the travel exclusive that is nothing like the regular Vol.)

This peach note is often paired with rich golden notes by Guerlain, to create something that I sometimes find too much to stand, or in Mitsouko, balanced out with bitter oakmoss, which I still find somehow indigestible. In Chinatown it has been delicately balanced to keep it in check, but it has avoided bitterness. I would call it a 'white peach'. The base is gently woody and musky and it has decent longevity. All in all, I am impressed by the handling of a chemical I know I struggle with, but I doubt I'd buy a full bottle.

Zibeline's avatar

Miel & Citron / Honey & Lemon by L'Occitane

A lovely, go anywhere scent that mixes well with their tea scents as well. The lemon is nice and zesty and not too tart and the honey is warm and dry. I ended up buying the lotions for layering, but may be back for the edt as well.