Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

goldberry83's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

When my sample first arrived, I was disappointed that it wasn't at all what I expected. Fortunately I decided to give it a try anyway, and at this point (with my sample almost gone) I don't know what I'll do when I run out. I love it! I need it! It is absolutely brilliant all the way through, from the beautifully spicy open all the way to the soft, warm drydown. Absolute must-have for me.

Harmony's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an attractive scent overall. To me it is too much of Bourbon Vanilla, and the fragrance is very powerful, so I would not recommend it for a business meeting. However, it could be useful for a night out; jasmine, peony, vanilla and musk could be considered sexy and complement a little black dress, helping you to be dressed up while dressed down. Cinema it is!

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Wonderfull scent, one from my Fovorit

Bijan for Men by Bijan

This scent, to me, is a vile abomination; very shameless, very unrefined, very dumb. Now, with due respect to those posters who give this a good mark, I can see the aesthetic and artisan merit of Bijan. In another time and another place, I bet this was king. However, all pleasantries associated with this scent are trampled and sodomized by its aggressive nature.

1) Yes, my taste has most likely been (inadvertently) bent by the decade's long wave of modern fresh scents.

2) But, No, this consideration does not make me any more forgiving of this crime against humanity that is Bijan for men.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This is extremely pungent and cloying. It's also really a sexy scent. If I could stand the way this stuff smells while I'm wearing it, I would purchase it in a heartbeat. Strictly a cold weather fragrance; this has extraordinary sillage and longevity. If i purchased this on a whim, I'd probably hate it within 2 days and never wear it again. From a distance, Burberry reminds me of JPG's Le Male.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

The word "sleazy" comes to mind upon taking a whiff of this. Dark, heavy, syrupy sweet; almost like a molasses tinged with raspberries, then backed up with vanilla and patchouli. I have a bottle of this and I love it. I've had it for 3 years (3.4 oz) and it's still about half full. Not good for many occasions, yet really good when the mood and occasion are present. It smells like a full-bodied/concentrated version of diesel plus-plus.

Mojo by Austin Powers by Gendarme

I just bought a bottle of this @ gendarme.com (for a very reasonable price), and upon receiving it in the mail, was delighted and surprised it had an atomizer versus a splash top. This definitely has the identifying marks (in terms of scent) of being a gendarme product-i.e., prominent lavender accord in varying degrees of sweetness/freshness. Always subtle and dignified, never crisp or striking, but with a dubious longevity.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Burberry's marketing dept. must have been either too ambitious for their own good. Or maybe just really desperate for a new target clientele. Otherwise, I'd see no reason for them to extend their tentacles to the 16 & under crowd. This is lightweight, fruity, summery, and not to be taken seriously by adults. If Laura Ashley had been making men's frags 20 years ago, they would smell like this!

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

Like others have mentioned already, this is nothing more than an EDP version of the original Gendarme. With that in mind, maybe it would be a good idea to ignore the original, and call 20 the replacement of the original EDT. Afterall, This has what the original lacks: staying power and sillage.

Gendarme Green by Gendarme

This is easily my favorite among my collection of Gendarme products (I always have at least one bottle of each of the scents from gendarme's catalog). Everything about it trumps the rest: good longevity, good sillage, additional dimensions to an otherwise awesome product. This is an EDP, and is only available in a six oz aluminum spray bottle; I have yet to see it available on ebay- must be found at retailer or official website. To call this a "green" scent is to not do it justice; the green term conjures images of Davidoff Good Life or something. For those who like Gendarme's take on "clean", this is recommended.

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

This perfume takes me straight back to junior high. It's certainly not the most sophisticated or compilcated fragrance, but to me, that's part of it's appeal. It's a bright, happy floral with a bit of musk. Definitely has some sillage when you first apply it, but it's not very long lasting.

Curious by Britney Spears

This is an inoffensive floral, nothing spectacular but not bad either. This perfume doen't have much sillage after the dry down, but it was extremely long lasting on me, it just stayed close to the skin.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

At 26 I think I'm probably already out of the target age group for this perfume. That said, for me this was a horrendous, headache inducing blend of fake strawberry, burnt sugar, and something resembling patchulli. If you want to know how this smells......take a whiff of your strawberry chapstick and imagine that.....only sweeter.

Amor Amor Eau Fraîche by Cacharel

This is such a nice clean smell. It's a slightly more citrus-y version of the original and I love it for hot summer days.

Chocolovers by Aquolina

This scent is reminiscent of chocolate, but doesn't really smell specifically OF chocolate. In the opening, this smells a lot of coco and oranges, which is nice. The dry down is almost exactly the same as Pink Sugar, just slightly less sweet and maybe a tad muskier. If you like Pink Sugar you'll probably like this scent.

My main problem with this scent is how POWERFUL it is; I have to spray this into the air and walk through the mist, rather than spray directly onto my skin, otherwise it's too strong.

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

In the celebrity fragrance niche, this is by far my favorite. It's a warm, slightly dark, vanilla-y fragrance with top notes of some sweet fruit, but after the dry down the fruit is gone. It's actually a very comfortable smell and perfect for perfect for girls (like me) who don't like to wear big, bold, sillage monsters on a regular basis.

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

I don't smell a lot of ylang ylang here, which is all the better for me. Two hours after trying this at the EL counter I absolutely had to go buy a bottle. This opens pretty strong and heady, but the beauty of this perfume is in the dry down. It goes through a very brief baby powder phase, but eventually warms into a soft, cozy, amber-vanilla-sandalwood skin scent. I think that this fragrance is extremely well done and while it may be on the polite side, what it lacks in personality it makes up for in polish.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Wonderful fragrance - stong vanilla - long stay

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

rich and luxurious - stays put

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2008)

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

intrigue and mystery . . . I like this one alot - good sign is that it is always sold out

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2009)

Pasha by Cartier

Nice staying power and cools to a lower intensity - burns intense at first

Cuba by Czech & Speake

wonderful scent - grows on you

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2008)

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

Very nice sweet scent with cedar and pepper - complements most anything anytime
    Great to have around the office for an afternoon pick me up . . complements from staff and coworkers

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2009)

Roadster by Cartier

very nice mint - staying power even with the top down

Elixir by Penhaligon's

a very nice scent from Penhaligons. It gives Creed's Bois de Portugal and Montale's Damascus Rose stiff competition
    I quite agree with somerville macho man

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2009)

Investor's avatar

Calvin by Calvin Klein

Calvin by Calvin Klein is the best scent Calvin Klein has ever made. I disagree with one of the poster above who thinks that "it's not a gem." Calvin cologne is a gem. What a great, wonderful smell. Very sophisticated. Very European. Calvin Klein has to bring this one back (the original 1981 one).

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2008)

lefay's avatar

Tarantella by Tommi Sooni

The story goes that Tarantella was inspired by a walled garden in Avignon filled with plants from southern Italy. Whatever the inspiration, this creation is a classic, beautifully composed chypre with an aldehydic, green/citrus opening and a lush floral/herbal heart on a sultry mossy, woody, and subtle leather base. (Beware if you're sensitive to aldehydes; the fizzy top notes may ruin the fragrance for you.) Tommi Sooni designed this scent for women age 25+ (be still my heart) and with the redoubtable Charlotte Rampling in mind. Like her, Tarantella is graceful and elegant but with a smoldering heart.

07 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2013)

JDBIII's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I can't believe this was created in 1912. It smells so modern. In fact, now I realize that Bulgari Black (which I love) is a blatant "reinterpretation" of this classic. I find it dark and brooding. If you love florals, don't touch this. It is solid and quite strong, much stronger than any of Guerlains male fragrances with the exception of Vetiver. Longevity is excellent and sillage is surprisingly subtle for such a forward scent. I would never have made this for a woman, but now I can't wait to smell it on a woman. Do they even wear this here in the USA? It smells great on me and should really be considered unisex. But, buyer beware; do not buy this without wearing it first!

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The opening is brilliant, it´s strong sensual rose that is fleshy and earthy. Kind of like the jasmine in A La Nuit. Sadly it doesn´t maintain this opening for long enough and it begins to fade and change into something different. A bit more animalic, a bit of leather..less pretty and more dangerous. Compared to the opening however I find it less thrilling and I lose interest and re apply after 3 hours because I can barely smell it anymore. If you combine Dzing and Voleur de Roses you get a more interesting combination that lasts longer but it doesn´t smell as seductive and carnal as this one those.

Renato's avatar

Reaction Thermal for Men by Kenneth Cole

I really like this scent. Thanks to the poster below for noting the similarity to Body Kouros, as it was driving me mad trying to figure out what Reaction Thermal reminded me of. It's nowhere nears as thick and rich like Body Kouros (which to me a is a night time scent), but is lighter and far more wearable.
    Renato