Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

RuffDawg's avatar

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

foetidus asked if this fragrance is supposed to be part of the older Versace Jeans line, the answer is nom it isnt. Versace Jeans Couture is the name of a line of Versace clothing that this fragrance was named after. The Jeans Couture line consists of moderately priced casual cloting for men & women (well, moderately priced for Versace clothing that is, which is still VERY expensive, $300+ for a pair of jeans) The clothing line consists of jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets, and other casual clothes. IMO the low-key, casual nature of the scent is meant to reflect the casual style of the clothing line.

Sardu's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Definitely harsh, but it's the sort of harsh that stimulates and fascinates and keeps you coming back again and again to see what it was that hit you, instead of making you turn away permanently in disgust. It's true that all of the harshness is gone after five hours, but by then this is just another good cologne. Wear this because of its rough texture, not in spite of it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Vanille by L'Aromarine

When I sniff my wrist I imagine marshmallows being toasted over a slow burning campfire ~ comforting and yummy! I'm really into the burning wood aspect of this fragrance. Simple, and I'm lovin' it!

zztopp's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

Notes:
    Top: Grapefruit, Lemon, Bitter Orange, Ginger
    Heart: Green Tea, Shiso, Mate, Pink pepper
    Base: Cedar, Clove, Nutmeg, Gaiac wood

Tokyo: a global city, leading financial capital, and a bustling metropolis. A city of contrasts: futuristic Akhibara alongside traditional Imperial palaces. Surely it would be a great challenge to bottle the essence of such a city in a fragrance. Kenzo's attempts are puzzling and fall short.

The press release from Kenzo uses some sort of color oriented description to link the dazzling colorful atmosphere of Tokyo to the very-standard three phase structure of perfumes ("DAZZLING YELLOW for ginger, lemon, etc.."). Tokyo the fragrance opens with a bitter citrus accord livened up by a sprinkling of persistent ginger. What follows is the most distinctive part of this very standard fragrance: an accord constructed to resemble the yerba mate drink, freshened by green tea. It smells sweet, herbal, slighly grassy ...even "bubblegum" like, although in a very smooth and restrained manner (for a more expository yerba mate, try Villoresi Yerbamate). An hour later this accord melds into a woody and slightly spicy-salty (from the salty facets of nutmeg) smooth woods base. The entire tour of this poor mans version of Tokyo lasts around 5-6 hours with Kenzo like sillage.

Kenzo Tokyo is a moderately interesting fragrance. It captures little of the real Tokyo, unless the focus was on the clean-cut inoffensive demure nature of the Japanese or the asian cliche (see the obligatory "green tea/mate" in the pyramid). I would expect a fragrance titled Tokyo to sizzle up the heart notes with some high-tech and off the wall quality synthetic molecule reflective of the sometimes wacky nature of the japanese export-culture. Kenzo Tokyo is a little too tame..its more Kyoto than Tokyo.

Rating: 6.25/10.0

maccus's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

The progression might well evoke the mystery of kissing a magical creature. In the dry down, there is the ambivalence that informs the recollection of a heightened moment in which one cannot be sure whether something remarkable occurred; something that might have been imagined. There is much to savour in this fragrance including the poetry of its marketing. At least, to the extent that the name is apt. It opens wonderfully, progressing to an enveloping and intoxicating miasma which suddenly reveals itself. It's as if it responds to bodily warmth requiring nothing less to enliven the fragrance. At this point, it is utterly distracting and compelling. I imagine this is the moment of that magical kiss and the beauty of that moment is marvellous. I don't care which came first - the name or the design. For my part, I will come, again, to this magical potion because I find it intriguing.

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th December, 2008)

TaoLady's avatar

Toujours Moi by Dana

I was with the ad agency that handled Corday when TM was a "name" frag...wore it constantly and not just out of client loyalty...and it still gives me a thrill. But I must agree with FunnyBoy...this new version, as subtle and complex as it is, is not a patch on the original.

But tastes change too...and I'm not sure that the "old" TM would find much of a market these days.

beltz's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm bad at guessing perfume notes so it took me a while to figure that the weird smell I was getting was a very smoky incense. I thought the name was appropriate. It is very weird and oddly, it makes me think of what a level-boss would wear in the videogame Diablo 2. Say Mephisto or Baal. Demonic.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Cefiro by Floris

A gentleman's L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme.

Floris' fragrances are not groundbreaking, nor do they contain high quality ingredients. Heck, they are even reasonably priced. They are however often very sober, refined, conservative products, that matches the English gentleman.

Cefiro is a good example of this. It's got the same waxy lemon feel as L'Eau d'Issey, but less harsh and less loud. It's good. :)

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2009)

Mad4WDW's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

This to me is utterly bland,short lived,over marketed rubbish.

Very generic smelling woods that rapidly dries down to weak synthetic smelling amber. Save your money for something else.

Olfactor's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I have to agree with what's already been said here repeatedly: this is a superior, classy, warm, sexy and masculine scent that is best suited to fall/winter use. The dry down in fantastic, and for me a little goes a long way and has excellent projection and longevity. As previously stated, a real compliment grabber. The only Burberry frag. I've become attached to and one of the few reasons to look forward to winter!

brooklynlou's avatar

Gauloise by Molyneux

Smells waxy - like lipstick. Pass.

jathanas's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

I developed an instant emotional connection with Tam Dao and therefore it's hard for me to offer an impartial review; wait, that's never stopped me before.
    Tam Dao opens with a resinous accord that brings a vivid image of moist cedar being sawed. Any sharpness settles very soon as a smooth sandalwood comes to the fore. That's where this fragrance evolves to a soothing balm for my mind, almost meditative.
    It's unisex and good for all occasions without being generic. Amazing and a top 5 in my collection! Longevity is average.

Freshstart's avatar

Ambush (original) by Dana

A child, in the seventies, this was the gift I gave to my mother. It became her signature scent, replacing Chanel #5.
    Now that this is no longer available, it is back to Chanel for mom. She has kept a bottle of it, when I hoarded tons for
    her, and when I visit, I smell it and it brings me right back to our younger days.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Dirty Vanilla scent. The tobacco gives the vanilla a "naughty" side. Great sillage and longevity, however the scent isn't all that inticing...

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sweet mushrooms? The top notes made me kind of nautious, I was close to scrubbing it off!!!, but then the mushroom accord disappeared and it settled down to a wonderful, transparent, feminine skin scent. You can liken it to taking in the scent of your girlfriend or wife after they take a nice long hot bath, little sweaty, a little salty, a little sweet...

Other than the opening it's quite a masterpiece

Red Vetyver by Montale

Red Vetyver is a more natural smelling Terre d'Hermes. I'm wearing both as I type this, gave Red Vetyver a couple full wearings already and it's still quite difficult to tell them apart. It may be my untrained nose, or it may be that they just don't have that much difference between them. Good scent, albeit unoriginal. I give it a tentative thumbs up...

everso's avatar

Kiton Black by Kiton

my 2 favourite fragrances in the world are KNIZE TEN and CUIRON.....and i'm starting to think that my 3rd favourite scent really is KITON BLACK. this is an amazing fragrance. It's so incredibly well blended, balanced, and formulated. Each time i wear this stuff, it makes be feel as if everything is gonna be alright. It's got swagger, confidence, character, and depth. People keep referring to 'berries' in the opening, i don't get much of that. What i get out of this, is a very airy light suede and light vetiver opening with touches of wood and flowers. Emphasis is on the 'light'. As the scent wears on the skin, it becomes stronger.....and results in the most glorious, new car smell with leather and suede being gently soaked in light vetiver and wood. It is such a dignified drydown...i have yet to experience anything else like it. This is the best designer scent in production right now, and is a must have as far as i'm concerned. HUGELY recommended.

Kaern's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ah -- a 'post modern' fragrance, i.e. let's produce an aroma that smells disgusting and wait for people to buy it anyway because we are a new 'niche' house, What fun must be had at dinner parties -- can you guess what it smells like yet, Cynthia?? Oh, we did laugh.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Rubber tires, hot black roofing tar/pavement, and sweet, smokey vanilla. Surprisingly sexy and wearable, however I don't enjoy smelling like tar. Very strong stuff and not for the faint hearted. One of those fragrances you might like if you love the smell of a busy urban city like New York, especially when there's lots of construction and road-paving going on. (If you live in Montreal like I do, you'll know the smell of fresh pavement quite well, all the while wondering why we still have so many potholes!)

Some say this is similar to Dzing, but I personally don't see any resemblance. I'm sure there is something similar to Bulgari Black out there, but I can't think of anything else very much like it (in my limited fragrance experience).

Déclaration by Cartier

Dirty cumin-and-cardamon-laden oranges over a powdery and yet sharp woody-cedar base. One of Jean-Claude Ellena's best.

If you don't like the powdery aspect of this fragrance, you might prefer Bigarade Concentree by Frederic Malle. It's definitely an a little bit of an exaggeration to say this, but Bigrade Concentree smells just like Declaration minus the iris note and with some of the cedar replaced by hay/coumarin.

Both are great.

8.75/10

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2010)

Le Mâle Summer by Jean Paul Gaultier

.......Really? Like... MAN. What WERE they thinking? I agree with Carl999 that this smells like a cheap and powdery, watered-down rip-off. How can I describe this... old lady perfume? Dollar store perfume? The only highlight is that it reminds me of the original – but minus all the good stuff. Don't even bother trying this unless you live in an environment near the equator.. otherwise this just may break the heart of anyone who's a fan of the original Le Male.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Ginger bread and smoky tea, with milk and honey. Sounds great - doesn't smell so great. I'm an avid tea drinker, with a cupboard full of organic teas from all around the world; yet Tea for Two doesn't do much for me. It's a little too sweet on the honey, and I don't enjoy walking around smelling like ginger bread cookies either. If you've never smelled Lapsang Souchong tea (like in T42), I might help you guess how T42 smells by telling you that T42 is reminiscent of a very sweet Chai Latte with honey.

Although the tea note is nice, it goes off into the background pretty fast as the honey and ginger bread notes take over into the dry-down, ironically making me lose my appetite. If you love tea, you should try this, but don't bother if you don't like lots of honey in your black tea.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 smells like sweet cherry cough syrup, burning tires, vetiver, soap, and agarwood/oud.

Simply genius.

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2010)

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

A "sparkly" lavender and *slightly green smelling fragrance. I was surprised to find that Reverie smells kind of synthetic (Iso E Super maybe?), and no notes really stood out over the others for me besides the lavender. I really didn't get much of the base notes in the pyramid, let alone the pyramid at all. Its very nice, and very feminine, but more of a room spray in my opinion. It's not at all like L'air du desert marocain and not as beautiful or sensual either. While Reverie is a well constructed fragrance, I'm not particularly fond of it, nor am I intrigued. The worst part was that the first spray of this was so potent that I could taste it in my mouth for the first few hours – not a very pleasurable experience. On a final note, I would suggest not to bother with Reverie au Jardin unless you are a middle aged woman.

5.5/10

Bardfield's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Something magical happened the other night. Timbuktu is right up there amongst my favourites, especially love the fleeting cardomom, and the frankincense. The other night I was wearing Timbuktu and was smoking a Havana cigar, I took a smell of the fragrance on my hand and the fusion effect of the Timbuktu and the cigar was incredible. It literally sent a shiver down my spine. It was if every note in the fragrance was amplified and made richer.
    Not much use as a review if you don't smoke Havana cigars, but if you do try this out !

Ruqayya33's avatar

Absolutely Irresistible by Givenchy

I fell in love with this fragrance after getting a delux sample from Sephora. I can definitely get rose, patchouli and red berry notes. I think the mix of berry and rose makes this scent much more appealing to those of us that want to avoid "old lady" rose pefumes. Lasting power is pretty good at 8+ hours.

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2009)

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I would give it 4 thumbs down if I could. I received this as a gift one year and WOW talk about strong. This stuff could probably knock out a small animal. This is one of the worst smelling perfumes I have smelled. It was so bad that I couldn't even re-gift it, my sister or my mom wouldn't take it. It doesn't smell good on anybody that I know that has worn this. It is strong, sharp, and overpowering. It smells cheap and inexpensive. WARNING: It's also an instant headache in a bottle (for me, one sniff and and instant headache and nausea symptoms begin.) If diamonds actually smelled like this fragrance, I wouldn't own any...I would probably have cubic zirconia. I like scents that make you smell good...This one does not, It really stinks...Awful in my opinion...It actually is quite sickening...When someone enters the room wearing this it makes me wonder what they are trying to cover up! Yuck.

08th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2009)

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

I can't believe that this perfume has so many bad reviews. The first time I purchased Perry Ellis 360 was in 1995. I used to wear this in high school and I loved it (It is very powerful, so too much can cause a headache, but a light application smells very nice.) I've continued to use it but not as frequent as I did in highschool. I tend to like more complex fragrances now (I guess I grew out of this one.) I still wear it from time to time and get asked "What is that beautiful scent, you smell so good" or "What are you wearing and where can I get it?" I would describe the openning as a very strong metalic note but that fades quickly on me...then it is a plesant light fruity/ floral fragrance with a touch of musk & amber. I do not think it smells horrible at all, It actually smells pretty good on me but it's just not my style anymore.

Suux88's avatar

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

This stuff deserves to replace the original, or at least not be limited.
    More citrusy opening, longer lasting, slightly spicier-intense drydown.

sjohnjay's avatar

Colors Uomo by Benetton

Possibly a modest classic in its own right. This is powerful, with good sillage and longevity. Prominent lemon/lime, a "clean/fresh" (version of ?) patchouli, with a subtle yet present vanilla/powder base. This is really simplistic, yet it smells like nothing else. It's a little bit soapy, and is best worn casually, day to day, for just living around!