Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

sjohnjay's avatar

Hei by Alfred Sung

Good. unique smell; this has en element that no other fragrance has (maybe the spearmint and bamboo). This could be considered "fresh" or "aquatic", yet is a bit classier, and nowhere near as obnoxious as the popular ones. This is easy to wear because it is not offensive, could be worn by a man of any age (maybe even a woman?), it is good year-round, and it can be found really cheap. I think this has a really good longevity; just subtle.

sjohnjay's avatar

Cumbia Colors Men by Benetton

A little bit disappointing, but not bad. Basically, this is a melon fragrance best worn in warm weather. Its saving grace is its interesting and tasteful use of anise and eucalyptus; other than that, it would just be a cheaper version of Aqua di Gio.

julybee50's avatar

England England

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I bought this recently because it's supposed to be the best fragrance in the world and I thought at first that I must have bought an online fake. It immediately reminded me of my mother's make-up drawer- stale face powder. I persevered with it for 3 days, then asked my partner to smell it. Straight away he said "old ladies' make-up." I was relieved to find here that other people have had the same experience - I thought there must be something wrong with my nose, though I recently recognised that a friend was wearing it and it smelled of old ladies on her too.

julybee50's avatar

England England

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

A strong but brief floral note with a touch of spray polish and a hint of something like methylated spirits, and finally curry plant. I think not!

shimmerling's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Listen... you can't listen to people who tell you to get cool water or aspen instead of GIT... they're no compensation for the prestige of this millesime perfume... this lasts all day and changes frangrance as it dries down... im not saying don't get cool water or aspen, they're wonderful scents... i'm saying you're not going to get the same thing if you buy them in leiu of GIT if you don't wanna spend that much on it then buy the one ounce or the 2.5 ounce... dont compare this to aspen or cool water they are nothing alike in any way...

08 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2008)

innoxia's avatar

Ambargris by Madini

This one has me captivated as well. Begins with a brief, medicinal funk, then gently expands and sweetens to a smoky, resinous personal fire that warms me whenever I lift my wrist to my nose. I won't be without it, especially on these chilly dark days.

08 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2008)

pearlfingering's avatar

Garden of Hespera by MOR Cosmetics

This is a wonderful summer fragrance that takes me back to my early 20s. I have never found a fig perfume that sits right with me. I used to wear Demeter's "Fig Leaf" coming back from the beach. But once fig scents saturated the market, they lost connotations of freedom and youth to me. Until this scent. The official notes are cedar, oak moss, cypress, cyclamen, heliotrope and laurel leaf. It's not the bracing citrus of the hesperide category; neither is it a super fruity scent. It is rather like a Philosykos for the youth market.

08 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2010)

pearlfingering's avatar

Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan's new perfume Fleur de Liane is supposed to be a Panamanian rain forest. It reminds me of my mother grwing up (VitaBath and calendula shampoo.) There was an oil drum outside to catch rainwater with ferns and moss growing around it along the base of the house. Then I get an unripe peeled banana first and just quickly, there is a cantaloupe smell, the "aquatic note" in the perfume. Lily of the valley and marigold, and I definitely get the fern and moss, even a bit of aloe vera gel.

08 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2010)

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Rather a nice Javanese vetiver note, with all the round sweetness that entails, some nice backnose citrus and a rather odd salty aquatic undertone. This "seaweed" accord seems to me to be made from a combination of salty iodine and an ozonic note. The ozonic/vetiver is a strange combination which Vetiver Extrodinaire by Malle has realised rather better with its monstrous vetiver note and supporting cast including a much more subdued ozonic, though the vetiver here is more wearable in a conventional sense.

Quite compelling in a strange way but I can't help feeling it would have been better if the sea had been avoided altogether and the lovely sweet/savoury Vetiver allowed to shine unaccompanied.

kewart's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is an exquisite fragrance! I adore the smell of leather, iris and heliotrope, so this was
    always going to get me interested. Daim Blond is soft, buttery, sensual and SMOOTH. Not a sillage monster
    in any way - just subtle and quietly beautiful.

Tovah's avatar

Pure White Linen Light Breeze by Estée Lauder

A light, lemony, sugarless green tea fragrance that's refreshing to wear in hot weather.

buyers_remorse's avatar

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

This should be called Ford Essenence, its absolutley abismal and total let down

colormechris's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

OPEN SESAME! commanded the leader of the forty thieves and Ali Baba complied, giving up his treasures over and over again. The next morning, in the dim light of the cave, Ali Baba slept like a babe in the redolent musk of his forty masters, now turned slaves of a kind. His nostrils filled with the Arabian Night before and the funky morning after.

odysseusm's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

No vanilla, no amber = happiness for me! Hinoki is chock-full of woody goodness, or goody wood-ness. At first is presents itself as a very simple scent, namely variations on a wood theme. The turpentine note is not as powerful or even harsh as it is in Eau Trois. Here, turpentine and camphor contribute bracing, slightly astringent notes. The incense softens and adds depth and richness. This is full of nature’s vitality. The drydown is smooth and satisfying; it is a lovely balance of pine wood, incense, and aromatic elements. Believe me folks, I know from pine and wood and this is a great one! It is a memorable scent: assertive and yet restrained; bold and yet with an elusively haunting quality. The scent draws me in. This might be a niche and austere sort of scent, not appealing to many. So be it.

09 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2009)

Bruspotter's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

My other half wears this at the moment. It smells like lemon merangue pie with a sprinkling of pepper.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Carnation by Mona di Orio

Ah, an unisex floral that makes his/her presence known. I don't get much from the topnotes, because the middle- and basenotes are so overwhelming. I get a lot of jasmin that is spiced up, and I certainly can smell the woods and amber in de basenotes.

One spray gives you enormous sillage and longevity. It leans to the feminine side, as is the case with all florals, but all guys in formal settings should be able to pull this one off. What you need, however, is a sexy woman in a black dress.

alkman's avatar

Wales Wales

Canoé by Dana

If someone ever asks you, "hey, what's a fougere?" tell him to go out and grab some Canoe. It's a nice, basic, well-constructed classic fougere. Nothing more, nothing less.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Royal Secret by Royal Secret

Powerful stuff! Very, very similiar to L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme (which to me smells like they stole the idea from good old cheap Royal Secret). I so strongly associate this with my grandmother that I cannot actually bear to smell it on anyone else, and it certainly strikes me as inappropriate for most younger women. But if you feel mature and are into heavy, serious orientals, do try - definitely if you like ambers!

SirSlarty's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

This is a smoky green ginger and woody vetiver fragrance. It's familiar yet different. I can't quite figure it out. It's like a softer and less powdery Gucci Envy for Men and a less creamy Nemo with a cedarwood and vetiver base like Rochas Lui but not as woody, more soapy but not sticky soapy. Strange but in a good way. For those who like the afore mentioned fragrances as well as something like Bois du Portgual. or Obsession for Men but would like something softer and inoffensive for casual wear.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very comforting and calming scent to me. Almost the polar opposite of it's predecesor. Where Kouros is brash, flamboyant, with a "LOOK AT ME" attitude, Body Kouros is confident, quiet but strong.

Sillage and longevity are good, the scent is fairly pleasant, nothing groundbreaking...atleast not now-a-days...

Katrinket's avatar

Route Mandarine by Manuel Canovas

I smelled some promising opening notes, but quickly turned heavy, sweet, overpowering. I was trying to give it a good try, but after 20 minutes there was just too much patchouli, and it had to come off. Like wearing too many perfume oils at once. Lacks balance. Sad, because it had some interesting stuff going on at first, but it's just TOO MUCH of everything. You know how Dior Poison can smell nice every now and then, if you catch just a whiff, but you don't actually want to stick your nose in it and inhale deeply? It doesn't smell the like that, but it has the same effect. If you love this, enjoy it, but be careful not to overdo it! One spray behind a knee might actually be nice for the rest of us, to catch a whisper of it.

Kaern's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Ok, Fact -- Armani as a house don't make very good perfumes, even their Prive line is only average at best. Basically they are cashing in on a lucrative market. Attitude is a cheesy name for a fragrance, the design of the bottle is naff and it's overpriced. The fragrance itself however is rather good and miles better than the awful Diamonds. Once you realise you are not going to swoon at any Armani fragrance that has ever been created or any that are in the pipeline, Attitude could be the best. I like it.

bbBD's avatar

Violetta by Santa Maria Novella

So this is what violet is supposed to smell like! Instead of the sugary sweet violet note I've come to associate with this note, SMN's interpretation is of a dry and vibrant floral with a touch of powder in the background. I normally interpret violet as a feminine note, but this fragrance is very much unisex. As you can expect with SMN, the quality and longevity is incredible.

An obscure fragrance for sure - but worth checking out if you either have the opportunity or happen to like violet and want a non-sweet interpretation.

bbBD's avatar

Dulcis in Fundo by Profumum

This is by far my favorite amber and one of the most unique. As with most Profumums, the quality and strength is outstanding. DeF is essentially amber/cistus with a strong orange blossom/citrus note mixed it. Is very vibrant and full. The citrus livens up the amber and keeps it from getting too sweet, while the amber cuts any sharpness or tang off the citrus.

With the exception of another Profumum - Volo AZ 686 - this is the longest lasting fragrance I've ever encountered. One spray is plenty and expect it to stay on your skin very noticeably for 20-24 hours.

Pricey for sure, but if you're going to invest in a unique amber, check this out. Although it's $240/100ml, the fact that so little goes so far is a big bonus.

Paco Sweet's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure is simply sensational.

I do not like the opening of Allure, but the heart and the base of the fragance are fantastic.

Allure is sweet, smooth, warm and spicy.

El bottle is simple but elegant.

Allure is pure elegance.

Paco Sweet's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Vey Irresistible is interesting, but I do not like.

Beginning with the bottle, is very beautiful and elegant, but the fragance I dislike very much, its starst nice, but the base is very lacking in harmony.

Great brand (Givenchy)

Gram jar.

Bad smell.

Max1mu51's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

I can now see why Cartier came out with the essence edition. I usually prefer the original to the successive scent. Essence and Declaration are the exact same, however the original declaration is being smelled out of the armpit of Andre the Giants after a wrestling match. Sorry guys but this is B.O. to the extreme, and I really like essence of declaration. I must admit essence had to grow on me a bit, the wood was a tad too sharp for me. But armpit juice will never change, it will not grow on me. Do yourself, and your wallet a favor just go with Essence of Declaration.

-MAX

Max1mu51's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is one of those Grandpa smells, do yourself a favor if you are under the age of 60 and/or your nose still works steer clear of this stuff. Some have stated this is a refined gentleman scent. This smells to me like bitter, brash, lemonesque herbs. I made the mistake of going to perfumania yesterday and I smelled this, and instantly took it away, I gave it another five minutes on the strip before I smelled it again, just for the benefit of the doubt. Thank the LORD I didn't put it on my skin I would have had to use paint thinner or gasoline to get it off. Hey, wait a tick. Gasoline would have probably smelled better.

-MAX

saraahj0307's avatar

Weekend for Women by Burberry

Wow this is the best offering of all the Burberry scents out there. I have re- purchased this 3 times now and i love its fresh not too sweet smell. Its a great day time perfume it wont get up anybody's noses!!

I so wish i had a clever nose and say i smell this this and this but all i know is when i find a perfume i like i dont care what ingrediants are in it!
    But it must be the peach and the Musk that do it for me.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

All good things that can be said about Azzaro pH have already been said by my betters.

Azzaro pH is a CLASSIC which will not be dated by the passage of time or the contrary opininons of mankind. Since 1979, i must be on my 5th or 6th 100ml bottle. I never knew what it was in particular about Azzaro that always got to me other than its great scent. Now i know its the ambergris in the drydown.

A true classic.

09 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2009)