Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

A distinct powdery, mossy green scent. Evokes a mature confident gentleman. Here in the tropics the citrus evaporates fast, but the violet is always "around" like a kind of aura. Great classic.

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Carlos-uk is absolutely right in saying that MdeG is closer to Armani pur Homme than to Eau Sauvage. Beautiful interplay of citrus and woods. Sillage is not very pronounced but longevity is good, especially in moist sweaty climes.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Cuiron became my reference leather before i could try the vast field - a handicap i do not mind one bit! The interplay of plum, the leathers and (could it be) musk is something else entirely. Will buy it at whatever price.

Ranger's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Too floral, too powdery, too mild. Good for my son, maybe (he's 2).

Ranger's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Initially, I enjoyed the spicy sweet and rich smell of Burberry London. Couldn't imagine wearing this anytime other than December. After a half dozen times, I lost interest in this scent (never a good sign) and prefer other offerings. Not bad, just not great.

sjohnjay's avatar

Grabazzi by Gendarme

Smells like really good tar soap, and really good lavender. Reasonable sillage and longevity. The most linear and one-dimensional offering in the gendarme line-up. It's good, just really expensive for something so plain.

sjohnjay's avatar

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

This is more of a sedative than an energizer. Incredible longevity and good sillage. This is very distinct and unique, with almost hypnotic qualities. Coffee notes are really distinguished (cocoa?). Kind of a short-lived novelty; the bottle seems to outlast its own grace period, becoming tacky smelling over time.Recommended more for men 25 and under. Very typical of Hugo Boss.

crappymittens's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this one when first applied, it's a gorgeous gourmand with warm and animalic undertones. I get caramel/toffee, powdery vanilla, sweet honey and in the background the musk and amber. Sensual, but really, I associate this with cooke crumbles!
    However, while it's staying power is above average on me, the cookie crumble stage soon melts down to a warm and powdery honey/amber scent, and there it stays. As the scent reaches it drydown, on me it is a sweet and powdery musk mingled with amber.
    G2 is definitely a unisex scent, but I suppose many might find it to be drawing more towards the feminine. I do find it a bit plain all in all, but it might be worth a try if you're into sweet gourmands.

Aramis by Aramis

Long lasting, old school masculin scent. It's been around long enough that it smells familiar to others, but they'll still have to ask what you're wearing. Sure, my dad still wears it, but I like it too.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Seriously, who hasn't owned this at one time or another. It has been very popular, and for good reason, it plain smells good. Nice citrus, marine scent that lasts a long while.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Probably one of the first decent scents I ever owned, I'm talking high school days here. My girlfriedn (now wife) loved it and still does to this day, though I have grown out of it. Still a nice scent though. the lemony top note lasts for quite a while, then the dry down lasts even longer. Too many guys overused it though.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

All sorts of fresh scents in the top note including citrus, pine, grass and ocean. As it dries the spice, wood and other deeper aromas get your attention and really last.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Slightly sweet with some wood and spice up top, dries down to a clean faint scent. Inexpensive, smells good, my wife likes it. Only con is it doesn't seem to last.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Top is a little citrus with some spice and lasts quite a while. As it dries the wood, leather and different light spices emerge. Maculine and long lasting.

Black by Kenneth Cole

The citrus and ginger really grabbed me as soon as I sprayed it on. After an hour or so, it settles down into a warm, musky scent. I enjoy this one and it lasts quite a while too.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is a long time favorite. Scent combines perfect notes to give it some mystery without being over powering. A light scent that is actually long lasting is hard to find, but this one has it.

Essential by Lacoste

The best clean, summer scent I've ever tried. My skin can make certain scents smell really funky, but Essential leaves me smelling sparkling clean and refreshed. My only complaint is it fades too quickly, but after the gym it does seem to recharge itself. I plan on buying a second smaller bottle for a quick midday spray. This will be my go to daily scent for a long time.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This one starts out great with a fresh citrus blast, very cool and zesty smelling. But the dry down wasn't good on my skin, turned to a baby powder aroma.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Spraying this on a tester strip, it smelled awesome. Big spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, leather etc. But on my skin, it was not good, not good at all. Smelled like a pungeant musty kitchen. As it dried it was no better. Too bad though as I really wanted to like it.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Living in southern California, the weather is hot far more than it's cool so clean citrus/water scents work best at least for me). This one smells like a crisp spring morning. fresh cut grass, lemon, and the beach. Again the only problem with the citrus scents is they don't last.

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

This one is right in the middle, not bad but sort of boring. Fresh when you first put it on, but doesn't last and dries into a baby powder sort of smell.

dr.007's avatar

Banana Republic Classic Limited Edition by Banana Republic

Banana Republic launched this limited edition version of their well loved Classic fragrance during mid-summer. It will be sold only through the Holiday season. In addition to a new bottle design and packaging, the limited edition version increases the potency from an EDT to a EDP.

The only difference I can detect is that there is more of a citrus top note compared to the normal Classic. Although it is now an EDP, the Limited Edition did not last longer on my skin, but rather just had a bit more silage.

nebenniere's avatar

Miracle by Lancôme

My mother loves this scent. For me, it iss headache in a bottle. It has something strange and strong about it that unfortunately does not wear off...

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

My all time favourite mens fragrance. Highly deserving of its 'classic' status.
    Although I am no connoisseur, I feel this is much more than just an 'aqua'. It has warmth, depth and a luxurious quality.
    For me, this always evokes the sensation of sitting in an Aston Martin, with its beautiful hand crafted leather upholstery and state of the art technology. A timeless blend of traditional and modern elements.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Despite being compared to similar fragrances, Body Kouros has a unique personality and depth, which gives it a special place in my collection.
    Whilst it is different from the original Kouros in so many ways, it retains the quality and consistency of the YSL house.
    I wear this in Autumn/Winter, as it provides a comforting warmth to the wearer and anyone close enough to experience it!

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

As a musician, I bought this initially because of its name! Since then I have enjoyed it as an 'everyday' fragrance in warmer weather.
    The Iced Mint and Grapefruit provide an initial 'blast', which is complimented shortly after by the Coriander.
    Some find this citrus/herb combination 'bitter', but it has a depth and unique quality, very different to most 'fresh' fragrances.
    You can buy 100ml EDT for as little as £15.00 in stores and online, making it a highly affordable alternative to 'cheap' fragrances, which have a fraction of the longevity and quality.

Escada:)'s avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Magnetism for men is fantastic. Intimate AND playful, sensual, fun. Of a hundred or so fragrances I tried, only three appealed to my personal tastes AND suited me (and my individual bio-chemistry I suppose). Wearing this you smell good enough to eat, and most importantly: NOT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE! Too many scents are hideously monotonous and over-powering, with little subtley or true offactory delight. So many men just smell the same, and worse, like they sprayed on too much of a supermarket deodorant (and yet it's apparently a brand named scent).

Yes, Magnetism is rather sweet, but I found it became warm and woody on me and was frankly like catnip to women. They loved it, and I love being loved because of it! It does inspire self-confidence because I received so many positive reactions. If you like the thought of luscious ingredients being brought together to make a delicious, sensual dessert, then perhaps you'll enjoy Escada too. I hope they continue to make and distribute it for years to come (unfortunately it's not easily available in NZ now).

The fragrance itself did mute quite quickly, so I find I need to apply a fair amount. However it stands out amongst the glut of scents available and to me is one of the most evocative, tasteful and enjoyable fragrances. Other men will smell crude and blunt in comparison.

bisby's avatar

M; Men by Masakï Matsushïma

My wife absolutely abhors high silage scents and as such, I have been on a quest to try some scents I like without having a large area of scent space. I have tried some of the Kenzo scents without finding a keeper for me. This scent is a keeper. I was a big fan of Issey Miyake about 10 years ago and feel M:Men has some of the same Japanese character. M:Men is less sweet and less floral with a little grapefruit on the opening and a nice woody tone on drydown. Longevity is good with just one or two sprays at about 6-8 hours. Nice work scent IMHO, and my wife asked about it without prompting. That is a positive. Try it if you like unique masculine scents that are fresh and not overpowering.

Edit: 2014 Tiring of this scent. Light but a bit too powdery on drydown, my tastes are changing, liking more powerful finishes.

09 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2014)

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Wonderfully constructed classic fragrance for men. This one should really be worn as aftershave on the face with EDT to back it up. Tradition reigns here with lavender, bergamot, cloves and that special fresh citric note which hails from a time when fragrances had to blend with tobacco smoke. It is difficult to believe that this was formulated in 1984 rather than 1934.

Discrete and compelling at the same time, the balance is utterly perfect and the far drydown reaveals an unexpected animalic twist which deepens the mix with a touch of dirt.

Perhaps the last of the great 20th century men's fragrances.

10th December, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Slightly smoky, spicy, woody with a touch of citrus and booze over sandalwood and leather. Olivia Giacobetti designed this one for Lubin, and made a splash in a new pond. By that, I mean this is not her usual style — she usually has more subtlety and finesse than this, but less gumption; here she has dropped some of the reserve and picked up a bit more edgy energy. There are curious notes in the pyramid (the cult of the exotic?) like doum palm and black cumin. This is a great cool-to-cold weather scent, bringing warmth and soothing vibes into the mix with the up-tempo, more typically masculine notes. Decent longevity and good sillage (while it lasts) are positives for this juice; the only small negative is that it could be a bit more tenacious. Overall, very nice: comfortable, but not boring; trendy, but not outré.

10th December, 2008