Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

U by Ungaro for Him by Ungaro

A pleasant, inoffensive vetiver frag for very little money. If you like L'Homme by Lanvin, you won't be disappointed. (Very like L'Homme, only with fruitier notes and a woodier "heart.") If you're looking for something with some serious verve, though, look elsewhere -- this is office frag personified.

Lady Stetson by Stetson

I'm wondering if we're all smelling the same frag??!!

On me, this floral opens light and peachy with a hint of citrus...it is low-key, exuberant and unassumingly classy. Dries down to a refined and comfortable amberousness (is that a word?) Nice longevity - at home anywhere.

Another "cheapie" you could put in a crystal bottle and pass off as niche.

In my opinion.

Pink Lemonade by Demeter Fragrance Library

When I lived in Bermuda my mother used to make pink lemonade using maraschino cherry juice for coloring - and here it is in a bottle!! Parfait!!

Again - only four stars because of longevity issues....but hey....

Benghal by Lancôme

I'm a Lancome fan and picked this up at Marshall's - unsniffed -cuz it was such a deal even though I knew nothing about it!!

Lucked out. First whiff seemed plummy and spicy with a a lovely whisper of jasmine. The osmanthus - one of my fave notes - then appeared and they all settled in to play in a sandalwood box. No hint of the musk and only the suggestion of citrus on moi.

I'm giving it a thumbs up even though the longevity is not great and it is sadly discontinued.

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

Captures that first whiff when you get out of the car on the first day at the beach when the sky is brilliant, the waves sparkle and possibilities seem limitless. So what if it only lasts an hour - at these prices you can reapply;y endlessly.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Ultraviolet Man Fluoressence by Paco Rabanne

Citrus aquatic...one of the best aquatics I have ever tried. What makes it so good? It is muted, yet it projects very well...just like the name implies...it flouresces...it glows. I like it. It brightens with the heat as well. Not bad.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

GrigioPerla Attitude by La Perla

I bought this last year and just couldn't disect it. My nose is better now...I get an initial baby-powder-in-the-woods, much like Burberry Touch but with the greens, maybe mint? but really slight and short lived. Then leather emerges. The only other frag I have smelled with this exact leather note is Ezra by Abercrombie & Fitch. The greens do interact with the leather to produce a very pleasant scent.
    Overall it is weak, you need a generous amount to get a desirable effect, good thing it is available relatively inexpensively. I would recommend it in the fall and winter, the summer heat simply overwhelmes it.

odysseusm's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

WOW! A powerful blast of dry yet rich cedar greets me. Cedarwood to the max, pencil shavings galore… it’s beautiful! It settles into a gentler version of a woody scent as the sandalwood develops. The wood is creamier than before; and it is sweet, aromatic and very pleasant. In some ways this is a simple scent, “zen” as others have noted. Perhaps due to this simplicity and a kind of austerity; I find it to be enormously pleasing, charming and accessible. At times I get hints of ginger and cloves – I think these are notes from the sandalwood rather than any actual spice ingredients.

odysseusm's avatar

Verveine by Melvita

This opens with a lemon-green blast! It is typical verbena: leafy/herbal, lemony, aromatic. The scent is bracing and enjoyable. Since it is a solyflore it is not complex, although many hours later it does develop a light woody tone. Basically, this is a refreshing summer splash, or it could be used as a brightening element in a layered system. It has amazing longevity for a citrus-style scent. There's nothing particularly feminine about it; in fact due to its dryness and power it certainly could be worn by men.

eRL00p's avatar

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

Received this in the mail today, and wore it to work. It starts off creamy, with a top of mint- the mint leaves and it goes to the mid notes/base. It is heavy and consistent the entire time its on my skin. It lasts a long time, and hardly changes at all. The main notes in this remind me of a new age "barbershop " cologne- it has that typical cologne smell, but its one of its own. I would compare it to a shaving cream scent, that is creamy and tasty. A lil ways into the fragrances lifespan, a new note emerges- im not sure if its a light pepper or a type of wood- either way, its great. Fahrenheit is too strong of a pepper scent for me, and fresh attitude is of a new category, one i can enjoy wearing.

This scent reminds me of a guy in his late 20s- early 30s, 5 o clock shadow- chiseled face and great clothes. While working out, the scent only intensified, and I faintly regretted the 3 sprays, as 2 is more than enough. It is now winter, and I expect this fragrance to be unwearable in summer time, because it is Very Heavy and Thick. Its a great winter fragrance, which is why I purchased it.

electric's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Yatagan by Caron

People are mentioning it smells of pines, it smells dirty, maybe like a wet dog, or a wild wolf, some smell a hint of leather but I think it smells like a slightly wet wolf in a lair richly layered with pine branches chewing on a man's boot. It's probably the most amazingly-wonderful horrible scent I've ever smelled.

The most notable effect I noticed while I was wearing it was that I almost stopped caring about what other people think. The 'almost' part is that I was enjoying the notion that it potentially offends people within smell reach, with it's raw in your face attitude.

You really have to be in the right set of mind for this one, it's not your daily wearer, it's a sword you take with you if you expect a battle or if you're looking for one. Well, something along those lines.

jathanas's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Just offensive this stuff, unworthy of much comment. Why would you pay to smell like that?

SirSlarty's avatar

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

Warm and spicy, this new and fairly unheard of Mont Blanc fragrance has a medicinal opening but dries down into a invigorating cedarwood and vetiver. Reminds me of Rochas Lui but less sweet (not that Rochas Lui is sweet). Remains close to the skin and is very comforting on a cool day. It's nothing groundbreaking, new or boring: just good.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

On my first testing of this earlier this year, I was repulsed, the top notes were medicinal, bitter, and cloying.

Fast forward to a couple months back, having bought M7 Fresh, I was looking for the same type of fragrance for the colder months....well, what better choice than M7? So I bought it "half" blind and sprayed it on....how marvelous it was!!! The top notes weren't what I remembered from my first experience from this fragrance. Instead M7 was syrupy, deep woods, like tree sap...then it progressed into a comforting marshmallow accord that I just can't be without from now on. I'm definately glad I gave M7 a second chance.

everso's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

pretty awful, clowing, and lingering---annoying in nearly every way. AVOID

everso's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

dry. industrial. cold. metallic. vetiver. this is like nothing else on the market. by far the dryest scent i own. the only competition to Encre Noire is FM Vetiver Extraordinaire-----however that stuff just smells cheap after a bit of EN. this is definitely NOT for everyone. this is NOT for the soft-vetiver fans. this is not for fans of Guerlain Original Vetiver....this is for fans of people who imagine the scent of industrial, authentic, and dynamic cascades. I get so many compliments on EN...more than any other scent i owned. definitely recommended!

Katrinket's avatar

Do Son by Diptyque

This Is Tuberose. Tuberose. and a little more Tuberose.
    Now, I don't have a tuberose sitting here next to me to compare to, but I have smelled them as cut flowers, and as flowers growing in the garden (in So. Calif), and this is precisely what they smell like. If you are looking for a soliflore tuberose, here it is. If you don't know what they smell like, hie thee to thy nearest florist, and have a sniff. Yes, I'm sure there are other notes in there, but the big impression here is tuberose. Tuberose is a smallish flower in real life, but it thinks it's B-I-G. I love the slight saltiness of it, which balances the sweetness (don't worry, not cloying) and warmth of it. very strong at first, with lots of sillage, almost an elevator-clearer, but later, STILL very strong, just not so in-your-face (nose) anymore. Dry down loses some sweetness, and saltiness is more pronounced. (think salty as in cracker jacks, not marine.) Not a gentle, light fragrance to me AT ALL. Lovely, impressive. I do think it wants warmer weather. Note to men, wear it if you please, but this should really be listed as a women's fragrance.

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Pretty simple - a natural, slightly sweet, spicy cinnamon scent over ambergris. Very enjoyable on myself, but I don't think others would enjoy it as much as I do.

Like the other Creed's from back in the day, Ambre Canelle smells very dated and old-fashioned, but in an eccentric and nostalgic way. It also has the same great quality and blending the other older Creeds have. Like Royal Scottish Lavender, I can't really see myself wearing this, but I would love to smell this on an older person, (male or female), perhaps in the age range of 50+.

Overall, Ambre Cannelle is a simple, yet strange and very interesting fragrance worth trying for fragrance aficionados. I wouldn't suggest trying it though if you're looking for something modern and easily accessible.

7.25/10

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I think enough has been said about this one that I can keep this review short. The scent pyramid on BN actually describes A-Men really well. My 2 cents here is that although I loooved A-men the first few hours I was wearing it, the last few hours were fragrance hell. Although I love patchouli, the patchouli in A-Men smells kind of "arm-pitty." Unfortunately the dry-down was all arm-pitty patchouli which became really unbearable and the potency of it all gave me a headache and made me nauseous. This is powerful stuff - even after washing it off my wrists, I still smelled like A-Men 24 hours later. (Ironically, I hate it when a fragrance lasts too long). Overall, I'll pass on A-men. Nice idea for a fragrance though.

6.5/10

Chrome by Azzaro

Atrac is right - Azzaro basically took Ck One and (IMO) improved it by making it more crisp, less musky and more metallic. It's kind of like the refined, sophisticated version of CK One (whereas CK One smells more youthful and playful). Check out my review of Ck One (below) and keep the changes mentioned here in mind, then you'll have an idea of what Azzaro's Chrome smells like.

Once again, like Ck One, this is a synthetic fragrance at it's best. The only reason I don't like to wear this is because it also reminds me of the 90's a little too much.

7.25/10

CK One:

cK one by Calvin Klein

It's pretty hard for me to describe the notes in this one. It's one of those fragrances that you "just recognize" if you've ever smelled it. Ck One is a very clean, citrus-y floral (synthetic jasmine) with a touch of unrecognizable woods and some very fresh-smelling musk in the base. It's actually a very good example of a synthetic fragrance at it's best.

I used to wear this and CK Be all the time when I was about 10-13 years old, and it brings back some very good memories. (I always liked CK Be a lot more though). I really like CK One overall, but unfortunately I can't wear it these days because it just screams the 90's for me.

On a final note, Azzaro's chrome is very, very similar to CK One, but it feels more modern and crisp, so I'd probably recommend it over Ck One.

11th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2009)

Epicéa by Creed

Pine! That's it mostly it, with cardamon, spices and a bit of citrus like others have mentioned. Epicea is a very simple fragrance, yet it's very natural smelling and enjoyable. The only downside to Epicea is that it smells very mature, as in 65 year-old dad or grandpa mature. Therefore, I can't see myself wearing it, being in my early 20's. I would however love to smell this on someone else - I can maybe picture this on the most "outdoorsy" of my friends.

Epicea is a great example of what Creed could do back in the day. It's really a shame that great quality fragrances like this only make up a very, very small percentage of the market these days. I can understand how this wouldn't appeal to the average, modern fragrance buyer, but man, it must have been some great stuff back in the day.

7.75/10

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Roses, greenery, and a lot of patchouli in the drydown. Voleur des roses might come off as a bit feminine, yet it can easily be pulled off by a man. What's unique about Voleur de Roses is that the Roses smell wet and fresh - you can almost smell the greenness of the stems too. While some people find that this ends up being patchouli 95% of the time they're wearing it, VdR actually maintains the smell of roses on me into the drydown maybe a hours later. I really love this one. If you're looking for something bohemian yet chic and romantic, give this a shot.

Of course no review of VdR would be complete without a reference to the similar fragrance Black Aoud, so... The main difference between the two is that VdR is lighter, fresher and more "green" smelling, while Black Aoud is darker, heavier and smells more like dark voluptuous roses with a more bad ass patchouli vibe. (Picture Black Aoud as big, dark red roses, while VdR is more like smaller, light pink roses).

8.5/10

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Le Maroc pour Elle is basically a powdery, dusty rose with jasmine, and a small touch of cedar wood that smells a little incense-y/resinous. It’s kind of old fashioned smelling and very heady. It’s also worth mentioning that the rose in this is similar to the rose in Czech & Speake’s No. 88, but a lot more "powdery." I was quite disappointed, since Le Maroc is not really “sunny” like described on Tauer’s website. On the bright side, if you're looking for something feminine and bohemian, this might work. If you're a male, this might require some effort or the right kind of personality to pull off (it's pretty feminine).

Although it’s not bad, Le Maroc doesn’t evoke the kind of imagery or beauty as L’air du Desert Marocain – be forewarned that this isn’t the female version of it either. Creed's Jasmal is *kind of* similar to le Maroc, but I prefer Jasmal much, much more.

analavande's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Old fashioned and elegant, sweet and alluring, intoxicating and addicting, yet contemporary and and wearable; Jicky is extraordinary and yet it is ordinary. The opening (which is sweet, citrusy, and aromatic all at once) is all together lovely and enchanting. The heart is intoxicating and remains faithful to the warm ambery enigmatic sweetness of the opening. Jicky is not a let down in the dry down. The warm sweet ambery heart mingles with the sexy sweet and enticing base. Now, with all this talk of sweetness, one would deem Jicky to be overbearingly sweet- but not so. The perfect balance of this perfume is what makes it so captivating from opening- to heart- to dry down. On my skin, Jicky even has the audacity and the tenacity to linger (ever so delicately) the morning after it is worn- and sometimes after showering. Jicky is as glamorous as it is seductive. Jicky is as classy as it is sexy. It is undeniably a ‘Classic’--a fragrant masterpiece. Jicky has that certain something… ‘Je ne sais quoi.’ It is my all time favorite! I love Jicky! …betcha didn’t guess!

rosa_canina's avatar

Eau Belle by Azzaro

Ethereal, yet deep. Bright, yet mysterious. It could be a nymph's or mermaid's scent!

gamecockfreak2000's avatar

Zizan by Ormonde Jayne

Hmm I so much want to fall in love with this. It's one of my first advances into the niche world and I really loved the notes. But alas it just isn't that great. The opening is sharp....really sharp I love the pink pepper and berry notes but something in it makes it smell to off. The middle notes are actually the best in my opinion. Just like Trebor said I too missed the violet and jasmine notes in the middle but something was spot on. Then something very weird happened. After about 3 hours i smelled myself and could have sworn I was wearing Terre D' Hermes. I like the vetiver...but I dont love it. Just like Terre D' Hermes its so strange. Overall just a so so fragrance that to me isn't close to the $90 it costs. Medium sillage and good longevity i'm going on 6 hours strong. Fragrance gets 5 out of 10 stars and longevity/sillage gets 7 out of 10.

ropname's avatar

Romania Romania

Versace pour Homme by Versace

A very good fragrance from Versace. Notes are all there, i mean that the drydown has a good distinction between top/heart/base which i love. I like to wear it after a shower as its scent is very clean, flowery & comforting.
    Lasting power on me is not great, but good.
    As for the similarity with Allure Homme Sport... it's indeed there, but with my nose i feel that this one it's much more fresh, allure being more aromatic.
    So if u're a collectionar or versace fan, it's a great fragrance... & if not, it's just good ;)

Nostalgie's avatar

Envy by Gucci

I expected Envy to stomp into the room, cold and bossy, a conversation-stopper, an elbow-jabber, a party-spoiler, a bundle of sass and sillage with a bad perm. After a drink or two, she would skulk off and settle in the corner with a few peevish civets.

But no! Envy floats into the room fresh from a walk, a sunny personality bathed in cool spring air. On first meeting she sparkles and cajoles, leaving a soft trail of cut grass and flowers in bloom as she works the room. One-on-one, she leans in and listens, at once earnest and lighthearted, sweet but not needy, never clingy. She’s there for you but she gives you some space.

Envy may be green, but a deadly sin? More a heavenly virtue to me. She radiates serene energy, she is true to herself, she lives in the moment, she gets along with small children and animals, she performs random acts of kindness, her carbon footprint is small, she can bake bread, and she looks fabulous in a little black dress. She’s her best possible self, the envy of men and women alike; yet her grace, confidence and good breeding keep her from ever thinking, much less saying, “Envy Me.”

Nostalgie's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Every time Angel is mentioned I find myself humming that Serge Gainsbourg tune: "Sorry Angel, Sorry so." I tested Angel briefly once before and did not like it, but decided it was worth experimenting with it for a full day, since it is such a popular fragrance. Despite its ubiquity, I have never to my knowledge smelled it on anyone else, and I remain curious about how I would react if I encountered Angel in a crowded space.

In the interest of full disclosure I should admit that gourmand is not my thing. It was no surprise, then, that I found the initial spritz to be a blast of sweetness. My beloved leaned in for a kiss and then backed off, voicing his preference for "more Catherine Deneuve, less Willy Wonka."

I kept right on humming it: "Sorry, Angel, sorry so."

But far be it from me to wash off a fragrance before experiencing the drydown. Will there ever, ever be a drydown? This stuff is intense, and my indoor sillage frightens me.

I will say in Angel's defense, that it is lasting and layered. But the patchouli just can't stand up to that sweet, foody dominatrix. In the drydown the musky notes turn sour on me and the candy just keeps on giving. I'm left with a not-so-fresh, someone-left-the-cake-out-in-the-rain feeling.

I am thankful for the Gainsbourg ear worm, though!

"Sorry angel ..Sorry so...Maintenant tu es avec les anges...Pour toujours..."

Sorry, Angel...sorry so !!!!!!!!