Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Max1mu51's avatar
    Max1mu51

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Anything but linear, good clean scent with touches of herbs to really give some character. My one drawback is sillage, this stuff does not project. L'homme is slightly sweet, well rounded, and full. Notions of vanilla - due to the tonka bean, and amber. It's like rubbing a fleece sweatshift, ever so soft and soothing. Nice but not really for me, it might do a little better in heated seasons, its winter right now, so that may explain the projection issue.

-MAX

varvara's avatar
    varvara

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

WOW....an amazing woodsy oriental fragrance...i'm surprised to see only seven reviews for a classic fragrance!
    the opening for me was intense. benzion and spice. the dry down is very sensual with amber and incnense. truly a "woman" fragrance. not for the young, virginal, or innocent! a sophisticated woman who isn;t afraid of someone leaning in to smell her, for this is a skin scent. i have only tried the edt too, imagine my review for the edp

xXjEnNyXx's avatar
    xXjEnNyXx

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I can't tell what any of the notes are in this fragrance because they don't stand out. Red door is very strong and smells "old". I can't pin point what it is but it reminds me of old ladies playing bingo that wear excessive amounts of perfume. I also think of older church ladies when I smell this one. Too perfume-y with emphasis on the fume-y. Way too strong, the odor of the perfume is so strong that you can smell it for hours after someone leaves. Definitely not for someone who likes a soft, subtle scent. If you are looking for a bold scent, and don't mind smelling like an old lady, this might work. Personally, I don't like the way this one smells at all!!! Yuck!

xXjEnNyXx's avatar
    xXjEnNyXx

Burberry London by Burberry

I love this fragrance. It smells very expensive and makes me feel like a million bucks. It is long lasting but not overpowering, and it is very light and feminine. This scent is fresh, subtle, and tasteful. The top notes contain rose and honeysuckle. There middle notes have peony and jasmine and the base notes have hints of sandalwood and musk. (I may have left a few notes out, but thoes are the notes I smell). When I first spray Burberry London (fabric edition), for some reason I sometimes smell traces of fruit (blackberry and grapes) but after the drydown (2-3 minutes) the combination of notes together is NOT fruity at all. It is definately a fabulous warm floral that is soft enough to wear to work, and sexy enough to wear out. This is not as sweet as other burberry fragrances and it is very elegant and sophisticated.

pancks's avatar
    pancks

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

I can't add much to the description of this gloriously beautiful scent. So I'll just say ditto and that I'm so glad I found it, may a bottle of it always be on my dresser.

Dark, deep, rose that shines in the night, love it!

Anni's avatar
    Anni

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

This has to be the worst fragrance to assault my senses and it has spawned many foul smelling copies. If I go into a store where this has been sprayed around I head straight for the exit. A true stinker!

Cyber Knife's avatar
    Cyber Knife

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Fresh, unique and classy. One of my favourite

maew71's avatar
    maew71

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

I have been searching for a new flavour... and I think this will be it. I love the vanilla base with the caramel and how the fruity top notes don't overwhelm.... and the fact that jasmine is the more prominent floral note is a plus since I am not a huge gardenia fan. It is a nice yummy smelling fragrance that suits the chemistry of my skin.

sliver1's avatar
    sliver1

Antaeus by Chanel

I got my first bottle of Antaeus when I was seventeen - it was love at first sniff! I've tried them all over the years but this is the one I always go back to, I never run out. Antaeus is not really a daytime scent - it's for nightime and people who stay out very, very late - wicked, seductive, potent and totally dominating - this can be a problem when you come across people not as captivated by it as yourself - it'll easily erase all other fragrances in a club/bar/room etc, even the heaviest of the feminine scents! So the trick is to go easy with it. A spritz or two can add real warmth to a winter's day but below the neck only! Don't even think of wearing Antaeus in heat - although it can be quite amusing to overdo it in summer and then get onto pubic transport! Otherwise, save it for after dark when it really works its magic. Then you can have a bath in it.
    I know that Antaeus was one of the first eighties powerhouse fragrances for men, but unlike Obsession, Kourous (Yuck!) and their ilk, Antaeus hasn't really dated, nothing else smells quite like it. In the beginning it's strong, spicy and woody but as it dries-down (which takes a while) and the mellow undertones come surface, that's when you'll have people sniffing your neck or asking you what it is! Believe me, I'm 35 now and Antaeus, more than any other fragrance I've ever owned, is the one that gets the favourable comments! I DO recommended you try it first, of course. And don't judge by first sniff. Give it a good few hours and then smell it again. It's not everybody but for me, it's the 'one'!

sliver1's avatar
    sliver1

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The biggest problem for me with Le Male is it's ubiquitousness - believe me, you'll find it in any 'straight-acting' gay man's bathroom cabinet! I remember being given testers upon leaving a nightclub when it first came out, spraying it on whilst drunk and then blind buying! It's certainly strong and noticeable and the packaging's great but I never felt comfortable with it It's just like Kourous - MACHO MACHO MACHO - and both of them are the two most predictable, widely-worn and therefore boring men's fragrances.
    SO many people wear Le Male and, call it snobbery, but it just seems lazy to me. There are so many different fragrances out there, go wild, try something new! Le Male lacks sophistication, it's just strong and spicy and it doesn't smell different after the dry-down, just weaker! Most of all, for reasons I can't explain, Le Male just smells cheap, although it's certainly not a budget fragrance! It's a little like JPG's clothes - once he was subversive and innovative - now he's just part of the furniture. Try something different! Please! Le Male is dullsville!

derizzle's avatar
    derizzle

Eau de FCUK No. 3 for Men by French Connection

I absolutely love this cologne. can't find it anywhere. apparently it's been discontinued....boooooooooo. does anyone know where i can find it??? please let me know.

Leo the Zen's avatar
    Leo the Zen
    Cuba Cuba

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The incense is so well balanced that it never takes over or fades. It is just a perfect blend. My number 1 for special occasions, such as travels, Opera nights and parties. It has "Adventurous, Elegant, mysterious, sophisticated, youthful...but above all Man" formulated it in. I love honey,and it is also very much present in it.
    Dreamy!
    The honey note could be too strong for some buy in my skin it is just precious.

11th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Leo the Zen's avatar
    Leo the Zen
    Cuba Cuba

Acier Aluminium by Creed

In a sentense:
    Sex in a bottle...the dirty kind! The opening was awesome...but the drydown...Ouch!!! In my skin it smells like I just spent 12 hours in some low class club where sex happens in the dancefloor and I left with that very intimate smell (to remain politically correct) all over. I can see that it could be appealing to some. Think stripclub and flower smells mixed with "something else". It reminds me a lot of what my brother smelled like when he was a sex maniac. Not pleasant...very raw and animalic. One thing I will give it, it is very manly!

11th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

The grey liquid belies the rather fresh and vibrant opening of bergamot, so called yuzu lemon and sweet orange (I guess that's 'normal' orange). A bit bitter, probably due to the bitter orange (bergamot) and the yuzu, also bitter. Wiling away a quarter of an hour you will notice this fragrance taking on a new facet. A very weird concoction; cooking spices of cardamom and saffron and an attempt to save the midnotes from culinary oblivion with an additon of a sweet floral note - 'blue water lily'. This hardly works as I get constant diffusions of comestible notes, as though I was invited to partake in a bowl of jalfresi. This pervades into the basenotes where I find it hard to pick up any amber or benzoin notes and very little frankincense at all. Is it the so-called 'papyrus' that I get then? I wouldn't know as I have never smelled papyrus; I can only imagine it to be like the smell of an old book, almost a sweet old paperback. But the base for me mostly smells of tobacco, and I don't know if that is a note here, but that's what I get. I don't think this an improvement on the original Eau D'Issey and maybe it will smell better in the heat of the summer, but I am not wild about it, so only a neutral thumbs here.

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

This begins strong - sweet and brash, almost like a 1980s scent (PR 80s heritage muscling in here?). It is an almost cloying sweetness and the overall effect is in fact rather 80s; not contemporary at all, and could indeed be unisex. The mids attempt to divert your attention and reassess the overall sweetness with rose and cinnamon, but this only adds to the sweetness. The 'blond leather' I can only assume means 'untreated with chemicals' as all leather is light coloured before tanning. Anyway, this is not to me real note. PR cannot go wrong playing it safe with a base of the classic woods- amber-patchouli triumvirate. Works here, but keeps this fragrance in 'safe' rather than groundbreaking or revolutionary territory. The only thing which gives this a thumbs up is the PR 80s strange, non-modern note which pops up. Almost like the pervading 'Guerlainade' present in Guerlain fragrances. Good sillage, medium length longevity and smells quite natural to me. A good allday scent but use in moderation, its fairly strong as mentioned.

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I think this is my favorite fig fragrance. I not a big fan of fig fragrances – I usually can take them but more often leave them. I tend to find them confusing: fig leaves in general seem to have some sort of strange vibration to them that is, at once, quietly pulsating and impatiently static... I get a bit tense with fig fragrances because of the presence of an estopped nervous agitation that are engendered in me. They never seems to follow through to completion: the notes sit there as a quivering blob of potential energy, and this is why I am not a fan of fig. Wild Fig and Cassis doesn’t act this way. This one is fig on tranquilizers, and I feel that I get the green energy of fig without also receiving the inclination towards the nervous breakdown that fig leaf can cause. To me this is a new experience with the fig leaf note, and I treasure the experience. Wild Fig and Cassis is fig green, with a touch sharpness; it has a woody heart and a gritty, near resinousness lurking about it. …Lurking in its shadows – or even more, in its very DNA. It’s a decidedly organic fragrance with a suspicion of the mystic. Its depth is soothing and fulfilling in its organic ambiance.

Life by Esprit

I ran across this one in an obscure little 10,000 store in Hong Kong down a dead end in a little labyrinth in a market district where it probably would have been wise for me to not be. I had never heard of Life or Esprit. One spray and I was amazed at how good it was. I remember it distinctly as fresh, light, fruity (berries and citrus) and softly floral (?) with some pepper for spice. It was a captivating feminine scent in its refreshing fruity way… a little bit synthetic, but even the synthetic tint was enjoyable and appropriate. It had the typical white musk drydown that didn’t seem to have much longevity, although I can't swear to that. Ordinarily I would not have remembered an experience like this, so this fragrance made a huge impression on me. With one sniff I was captivated. I think it's femininity kept me from buying it even though it was very inexpensive... probably stolen goods. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it.

Pompelmo / Grapefruit by Antica Farmacista

Pure grapefruit… This opens smelling almost exactly like grapefruit except that there is a shallow synthetic outline on the top of the grapefruit note. But it is uncannily like grapefruit. As the primarily linear fragrance matures, it becomes more synthetic to the point where, after an hour or two, the grapefruit has morphed into something that, to my nose, seems to be a thin rose scent.

I enjoy this scent as a room fragrance. I don’t picture my using it as a personal fragrance. Pompelo – Grapefruit – has good sillage and remarkable longevity for a citrus fragrance.

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

At first sniff I thought Je Suis Un Homme would be an excellent scent. The opening is quite impressive – might even be called “classic” because of its excellent citrus with spices and florals. But within five minutes, the fragrance had all but disappeared, leaving only a few traces of some leather, some patchouli, and a brief and rapidly fading memory…………

So… apparently, this is a statement about what a man is: five minutes of rapture, then a speedy and expeditious disappearance.

… works for me…

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

This is the scent that Platinum Egoiste becomes when it grows up and stops nightclubbing every night of the week.

I couldn't live without this one.

12 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2010)

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Thundra by Profumum

SirSlarty is right, I could swear this opened with a big blast of lavender! I was hoping for dead leaves and mushrooms, but all I get is lavender, eucalyptus (I know it's supposed to be mint but that's what I perceive), patchouli and some camphor. Instead of a damp, cool, earthy scent this is a dry, aromatic, throat-clearing, soapy-clean lavender potpourri. A tad earthy from the patchouli, yes, but earthy in a sharp and dusty way, not like moist soil or a frosty thundra or whatever. It reminds me of some cheap perfume oil from BPAL also failing miserably at evoking gloomy nature. It gets a neutral thumb for originality and daring. I guess it's no worse than Serge Lutens' lavender/incense concoctions which I also don't like.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A soapy, musty, powdery old fashioned lavender that lacks any real punch (unlike the edgy and moody Gris Clair). I kept expecting incense galore, but have gotten only hints of it (mixed with a strong powdery vibe) in the warm drydown.

Great longevity? Yes. Quality of lavender itself? Superb -- as to be expected. Drydown? Pleasant enough, granted. All in all, i have to give this one kudos for quality, if nothing else. Still, Gris Clair is by FAR the better of the two lavender frags, and Encens et Lavande, IMHO, lacks the "oomph" it needs to merit its high price tag.

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

Équipage by Hermès

Equipage is a smoky leather scent, very well composed by Guy Robert.Masculine, elegant, decent, not loud-a fine gentleman´s perfume.Equipage is for an elder gentleman.Soft,warm and powdery.It lacks a bit modernity and feels a bit dated.Although interesting and singular, not a masterpiece but recommended.Not timeless, but somehow unique.Not exciting or daring but solid and classic.Still you feel, there is missing something......................

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

the words are missing, so disappointing the experience has been!according to luca turin this is an A-class scent- i definitely cannot agree and as it has been already said the biggest waste of money and one of the worst perfumes i ever smelled!A cheap fruit basket on the lowest level- a simple mixture of tropical fruits.....very sweet, disturbing, badly mixed up, very chemical and artificial melange and as it has been aready said-at the certain point the scent becomes exhausting, unpleasant and nerving, almost causing headaches.There comes the point when you can´t smell it anymore!This one of the worst and most horrible perfumes I have ever bought!Really awful and bad!
    It is so sad because this company has produced such great scents as Lauder for men,JHL and do not forget Private cllection,Alliage, Youth Dew-masterpieces!What is happening to this company?If Estee Lauder knew.........................

hugh's avatar
    hugh

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

First time I tried this I thought "lemons and pot.......lemons and pot........I should love this.......lemons and pot......I should really love this---WHY DON'T I LIKE THIS???" 2nd try a week later and it hit me: Noxzema and horsesh*t. THAT'S why I don't like this.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

I am with the group of reviewers that find this sexy. One must be patient with this frag. It opens very light citrus, and most noses would be instantly dissapointed. maybe the bottle makes you think you are about to experience magic or something. Then a fresh crispnes develops, much like new underwear or socks or shirt...definately industrial and not shower clean. This industrial freshness turns into what I will call Bulgari Black light. There is no mistaking the rubber/tar note plus the really subtle talc, more in this than in the Bulgari. But on my skin something strange happens...when I take a wiff of the tar like note, then exhale, the very next breath has a green pheromonic thing going on. kinda soapy, but VERY manly. I imgine others can smell this on you though you can haardly smell it. Its like the metalic part of the bottle is the tar note and the rhine stones ar ethe green pheromonic scent I describe.
    Don't write this off, if you can find it buy it. It is very sexy. DO spray a lot though.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Versus Time for Action by Versace

Maybe time have change, but I really enjoy TfA. The Action certainy refers to sexual action as this posseses an animalic quality vibing off the greeness. It comes across as something Hermes would have come up with, with some resemblance to Terre d"Hermes. For the price, you shouldn't pass it up. Apply generously and to those 'areas'...then proceded to some coital action. Good stuff.

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

Clandestine by Guy Laroche

Fruity (plum?) & rosy, w spice and a touch of musk. Rich & not dry, complex but smooth & rounded, nice flavor! reminds a little of Rochas Femme but rosy. Seems like a daytime scent.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Santal by Melvita

This is a lovely, simple and very natural rendering of sandalwood. It is very dry and woody, and a bit soapy. Sandalwood has a sharp, aromatic quality that makes it different from other woods, and it gets centre stage here. I find Santal to be a very satisfying, go-to sort of scent. Sometimes sandalwood can be tarted-up with excessive vanilla, amber or other sweeteners. Other times it can be done in a very pungent, heavy style. Neither is true in Santal, which is balanced and elegant in its own austere way. This is a simple, quiet performer with good longevity.

12 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2009)

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

No. 89 by Floris

No. 89 is truly one of the best midcentury scents available. It does have that Georgian-Victorian flair of musty citrus, white flowers, rose, sandalwood, and musk. No. 89 certainly carries Floris's house citrus note in the opening, but that dries down to a beautiful rose that is enriched by spice, musk, and moss. Overall, very nice and I suggest you try it. It will not of course wow anyone because that's not what is was meant to do--it was meant to be dry, conservative, lightly floral, and lightly musky.

12 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2009)