Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

First used HR in 1988. Then in 1999. Then i have another one now. That for me counts for something!

HR? Tangy vanilla, a hint of cinnamon and very powdery here in the tropics. Its that powdery heart thats keeps attracting.

Definitely one of my Top 10 Lifetime frags.

da_markos's avatar

Poland Poland

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

my favourite by herrera. it's make you happy all day during wearing it. herrera's scents for men r quite common - you like it or not. i deffinitly like this one!

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

It smells first sweet and nothing acid, too different from other Hugo Bosses I tried, really neutral like apples. Too boring to me, I prefer XY. It has more personallity.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Nice scent, really remembers sea, or at least your gim pool. I found it could be more citrous. The middle remembers Drakkar Noir.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Begins with an orange-peel-with-sugar scent. Nothing very acid like leaves or remarkable like aldehydes. The orange keeps a lot and becomes less sweet, but something adstringent remembers me AXE or anything i tried at the drugstore. Interesting but risky to me.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Feels more sweet than citrously, a bit dry, remembers tangerines. Good to a warm day. I sweated a lot and it remained the same for at least 3 hours.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

One of the best scents I had tried. Sweet but not annoying, remmarkable, attractive. It´s a pitty it´s one of the most worn fragrances, so you can riskly smell like some other guy. But it completely worths.

Sables by Annick Goutal

Soo strong! You have the vivid feel of being inside a bacon smoker where someone spilled sugar. Intriguing scent. You could wear that at a book reading or a cigar club, but wait till the first wave calms down.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Interesting fragrance, so calm, so fluid. Remembers an afternoon with warm breeze, chess and apple tea. Yes, I found it, it remembers my grandmother. Sincerely, it feels like something my grandma could use. Not bad, but nothing manly.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

If there were something about Chanel that was promptly recognizable, this would be it's discrete-without-being-annoying-sweetness-love-or-hate-me scent. At my first try I sincerely hated that smell, but now it's one of mu favourites. I guess Allure starts with something sweet like yellow mellons, a bit dry, a spot of citrus, very discrete, and something that remembers me white of egg. It vanishes less than half an hour. At the middle, the egg scent (not unpleasant) becomes more recognizable and at this point the perfume is yours. Nobody can feel the scent unless they come close. I tried wearing four or more sprays, but the firs notes last the same, and it became so too sweet that I had to wash. I agree with those who said it's nothing close to a sport scent.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Nice bottle, scent a mix of herbal, citrus and a dot of wood. Lasts a lot and also claims lots of attention.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Fantastic fragrance, it completely deserves the best of the year title. Very strong at the beginning, remembers Burberry Britt, but the end is less sweet, more uniform. It has a bit of Declaration, but lasts longer, and also remembers, far away, Sables. Beginning is a bit stronger than I like, so I recommend wearing more than one hour before going out, unless you want to appear too much.

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

Interisting and kind of "intricated" fragrance. Owned a bottle 2 years ago and ware it with pleasure during Winter - only will not go for one more. Half thumb up...

kevinz4444's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

At first, this fragrance was too strange for me -- It was potent, and I feared based on its strength on first whiff that it would be like one of several 80's era fragrances I own and cannot bear to wear. I detected some citrus, some wood, some spice, but they competed with each other, so no one essence seemed to stand out. I used 2 sprays on my arm to evaluate, and as the day progressed I felt compelled to sniff it -- it lasted a LONG time on my skin, and to me, did not transform in any significant way as it dried down. Bottom line -- I like it alot. Try it first (as for any frag purchase) but to me this is good stuff.

01st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2008)

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Violets! I love Violets. It also has the effervescence and sweetness of lemonade (in Australia we call Sprite lemonade). It is very sweet, not sexy. I like it because of its indivuiduality, no one has ever heard of it when they ask me what I'm wearing. And it has serious staying power. I don't smell the anise in it, I don't even like licorice! But I like this one, thumbs up.

Wish by Chopard

This is a favourite. I definitely agree on the similarities to Angel, but I feel Angel is the ugly, obnoxious sister. For me this is a gourmand, but not sickly like some. I don't find it as strong as Lolita Lempicka. Wish has a long-lasting berry note that lasts on my skin and isn't overpowered by the vanilla. I don't pick up any floral in this. It's luxurious and rewarding, even if it doesn't last for 8 hours.

Magnetism by Escada

Sweet berries, green, vanilla and musk. Very alluring. To me, a gourmand. Not to be sprayed 10 times all over the body, as I've noticed some women do. It's better with two sprays - max. I have had a male ask me what I was wearing, although he is gay. I give this a thumbs up, but it should be used appropriately - not bathed in on a humid summer's day.

Ibiza Hippie by Escada

Some people just take perfume too seriously. This is not one to wear to work or anywhere that you want to be taken seriously. The same with all the other Escada summer scents. It's lovely and refreshing and is probably only good for one summer holiday, which is what Escada are aiming for - you to buy one every summer. I love the fresh berries and the creamy dry down. I feel like splashing it all over when it's hot.

Samsara by Guerlain

For me this is strictly a summer perfume. I much prefer the dry down after a couple of hours than the top and middle notes - the middle smells like coconut to me. That is why I can only do it in summer. The base notes left on my clothes by the end of the day are delicious. I have a lot of respect for Samsara, but I'm afraid it doesn't suit me.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

This not the best aquatic there is. It was just heavily marketed and then becoming a topseller made it all the more popular. There's really too much chemical smell for me to enjoy it. I don't feel comfortable wearing it, it's not a comforting scent. Too much white flowers and it can smell off, especially if you get the tail end of it. Unfortunately it has been done to death and reminds me of 14 yr old school girls.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I totally agree with maramica. For me it is a love/hate relationship with Angel. Perhaps it is beautiful, but not on the skin. Perhaps it could be used as room fragrance, or a kitchen deoderiser since it smells like a melted pot of chocolate, vanilla and caramel. The bottle is beatiful, but it doesn't represent the nature of this scent. It's deceiving because it isn't angelic, it's devilish. When I smell it, I lose my appetite because I feel like I've eaten a slice of the richest devil's cake. I gave it to a friend who smelled it on my arm and loved it. I was happy to give it to a good home, because it isn't cheap.

The perfume 'Angelica' by Jacques Phillippe is identical to Angel. Even the packaging is similar. So if you're looking for a less expensive option, wear Angelica and tell everyone it's Angel. They won't be able to tell the difference, seriously!

I rarely do this because I'm normally so tolerant, but I have to give this one the thumbs down, I can't wear it.

Red Jeans by Versace

I'm almost out of Red Jeans. As someone said before, it's very 90's. It brings back memories of that era, I was in high school. It's a happy and bold fragrance. It's linear, so it won't change much. What you smell straight up is pretty much what you get for the rest of the day. Definitely daytime wear. When I'm done with this bottle I think it'll the end of an era for me.

Baby Rose Jeans by Versace

I always get compliments when I wear this, from young and old. Yes, it's powdery, sweet and rosey and kids could probably wear it, but so could my grandma. It's very feminine, clean and delicate. Not for hot weather, but it suits autumn, winter and spring. I love this one.

Versus Time for Pleasure by Versace

It's very sweet and refreshing, but there's something missing. Warmth - it's missing warmth and depth. It reminds me of a pink Lifesaver lolly. I can't decide whether it's for hot whether or if it's a little too sweet for that. Because it's a little confusing for me, I give it a neutral, even though I have it and will continue to wear it until it's gone.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I completely agree with ubuandibeme's description. "Fresh at first spritz, this mix evolves into a floriental/gourmand with wonderfully polite and feminine sillage" is an excellent way of putting it.

I couldn't wear this in winter. It's a fragrance that goes nicely on a summer holiday or party. It's light hearted, but will still be taken serious enough with it rosey dry-down. Don't know anything like it!

Paris Premières Roses by Yves Saint Laurent

It isn't as strong as Paris, but that's the point. Instead of smelling like 1000 roses, you will smell like 50, with some other flowers in the bouquet. I love this scent, but I don't love Paris, it's very one dimensional to me. Premieres Roses has a bit more to it and the rose isn't as potent and in-your-face. Love it!

Amor Amor by Cacharel

It's sweet and fruity but oriental and definitely sexy, day or night. It's one for warmer seasons. It reminds me of Angel Schlesser Essential. I feel exotic when I wear it, it's a thumbs up for me.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This is one of my favourites in my wardrobe. It's dark and mysterious and sexy, but warm and inviting. It reminds me of the movie The Dark Crystal, probably because of the purple bottle. But the bottle is very descriptive of this perfume - deep purple is a perfect colour I think. Someone else said "green edges", I think that's spot on. I have syneasthesia, so when I smell a scent I see colours and textures. Absolute thumbs up - I would almost go as far as saying it may become my signature scent one day when I'm done "sleeping around".

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

My man doesn't like this one, and I don't really blame him. It's lovely after 8 hours, but for most of the day I'm wishing it would disappear a little and get to the vanilla wood base. As first it's so strong and even one spray is too much, it's overbearing. I respect the fragrance for it's richness and unique combination of florals and woods. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Angel, as others here have. It's nothing like it and it's not a gourmand. I'll still wear the 30ml bottle until it's gone, on occasions that will allow it, but I won't buy it again.

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Tovah's description (below) is lovely. If you could bottle your first love, this is it. It's warm, sensual and enveloping. Kenzo perfumes are so incredible, they're like bottled emotions. I don't know anything that smells like this one. I love Amour.