Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This is next in a line of traditional perfumes from a traditional house. Guerlain Homme is the first perfume of Guerlain's new head. When I smelled this, I immediately thought, "Wow what a great scent for a younger consumer to get their noses wet for the heavier, more complex scents of Guerlain!" Turns out, that's exactly what Guerlain Homme is supposed to be. Good job Guerlain!

Usually I do not like mint in my fragrances but here it's quite agreeable with me. The scent itself is a mix of both traditional Guerlain notes and some more "modern" notes like the so called mojito accord. Overall, this scent is a light skin scent with a little about average sillage. Overall, a comforting scent of florals, fresh notes and a touch of cedar in the drydown.

Count this young'un in on liking this and being a victim of marketing.

L'Aventurier's avatar

Espionage by Ayala Moriel

Espionage is one helluva classy scent. Although it opens with a bit of fresh bergamot, the bergamot quickly fades as the scent is taken over by very smokey (camp-fire-like) cedar and leather with a background of rose, jasmine, tobacco and vanilla. There’s also a nice musk in the drydown (ambrette seed). More mature than youthful, and little more masculine than feminine, but easily unisex.

At first I thought this was too “classic” smelling, but as time wore on, I really found myself enjoying Espionnage. It’s not quite a casual scent in my books, making it hard to wear without a nice shirt or suit, but if you wanted to, you could wear this anytime. Like I said, it’s kind of old fashioned and classic smelling, but it’s also modern and fresh – the best of both worlds.

A similar scent to Espionnage is Miller Harris’s Feuilles de Tabac, but Espionnage blows it away IMO.

nota bene: What’s really fascinating about natural perfumery like Ayala’s is that your nose never feels bombarded by the fragrance – it just wafts in and out as it pleases in the most comforting way. Due to the natural ingredients, my nose often becomes anosmic to Ayala’s perfumes pretty fast, but I like it that way because it lets me focus on my day without a constant barrage of perfume distracting me. It’s hard to put into words, but her scents just blend perfectly into your aura. Two thumbs up to Ayala Moriel.

8.5/10

Thaliarch's avatar

Morris Mens Cologne by Morris

This cologne is a traditionalist's dream with its fresh citrus layering. Does anyone know where I can still purchase a bottle?

bbBD's avatar

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

I want nearly everything from this line and this is no exception.... the combo of light citrus, angelica and vanilla/tonka/heliotrope is to die for. It's soft on the skin but not without sillage, and just because the sillage isn't outrageous doesn't mean it doesn't last a long time on the skin. I don't think I could ever get tired of this preciously delicate Guerlain almost-gourmands. One day I'll have bottle of this, Bois d'Armenie, and Cuir Beluga all lined up next to each other. I hope.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Simply stated, Arpege Pour Homme is in my top 5 fragrance wardrobe. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this scent. It is a soft-woody, masculine fragrance. One can detect a floral softness but not so much as to be perceived as feminine...the florals round out the woodiness. The sillage is moderate (the aroma sits somewhat close to the skin yet bold enough to detect) and the longevity is quite good. One can wear this year round, however, it's best appreciated during the cool/cold months; this is a warming fragrance. Furthermore, this scent can be worn definitely with a shirt, tie and suit, or to work and an evening out. Arpege Pour Homme is an elegant, masculine, sophisticated, urbane, woody masterpiece. A MUST HAVE in any well-groomed gentleman's cologne wardrobe. I highly recommend this cologne.

hollyc's avatar

Fougères Marines by Montale

Starts out very ozonic, but not like fragrances of lesser quality. I usually run screaming from ozone scents as being thin, watery and synthetic. Not Montale! This is a real beauty opening with the smell of a fresh ocean breezes that gently play over fields of fresh, soft ferns. Musk? Sandalwood? are they there as well? Seem to be and provide and soft fragrant base to the clean, fresh breezes that blow just above them. Love, must possess, good for either a man or a woman. Want to throw in a plug for Aromatic Lime as well, spectacular!!! Try the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver for best prices.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Tried hard to like this one. It was too overwhelming, and i do like my 80's sillage monsters. Objectively CdG2, is complex and obviously well blended. There was just something about it that disagreed with me.

AnnS's avatar

Donna Karan Signature by Donna Karan

This is exactly what it sounds like - a gorgeous, rich, soft oriental suede. There is nothing else I've smelled like it. The suede is so soft and convincing that you will actually think you are smelling the most wonderful, refined suede in a shop, etc. The lasting power is very good, and sillage is medium. I get compliments on this whenever I wear it. The oriental aspect of this fragrance is very similar in body and structure to Boucheron femme, but with a the very nice suede note riding on top. If you like Boucheron, you will most likely enjoy this fragrance. Definitely for cooler weather - it might be a bit heavy in hot summertime.

AnnS's avatar

Powder Flowers by Montale

I like this scent very much. Powder Flowers starts off for me very much like Chanel No 5 - a little "perfumey" blast of aldehydes, citrus and powder notes. As the top dries off, it gains a wonderful soft, lightly floral, woodsy, powdery sophistication. The lasting power is excellent and the sillage is good too. If you have ever smelled Lorenzo Villoresi Tient de Niege, Fragonard Grain de Soliel, or Estee Lauder PC Amber Ylang Ylang, and liked any of these, Powder Flowers certainly fits this type of fragrance group – soft, powdery, heliotrope/vanilla. What surprised me most, and what made me like it best, was that in gaining a powdery softness that almost renders it a comfort fragrance, it still maintains a bit of aldehydic sophistication. I believe this comes from a very judicious use of some woods/incense in the base that prevents it from becoming too cloying. I highly recommend it for powder/aldehyde lovers, or anyone who wants to wear an excellent sophisticated and soft fragrance.

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Whau! What a wonderful scent...!!! Different, mysterious, strong yet cosy, fresh'n warm, spicy'n sweet, not easy start but a tremendous wear on! TEN THUMBS UP!!!

DolceBanana's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Absolutely stunning! I am a very picky person when it comes to colognes, and always walk away regretting my purchases. But not this time. Got this from Libertine in Brisbane, apparently i'm the first person in Australia to have it.

I was after something crisp, citrussy, with great longevity, and finally found it! The person next to you can smell it, but very faintly, because its a perculiar scent, it will draw them in. The closer you get to the skin, the better the smell! The girls adore it, I luv it, what else can I say? When my bottle runs out, i'm getting another...

Best purchase i've ever made!

Palicao's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Tried this today, while being shopping too much. I must say I was captured initially by the ad, a nice and dirty looking tattoed guy. I had to try... he looked pretty nasty. The perfume wasn't, unfortunetly.
    Still sexy and very well done. it doesn't have anything to do with that ad. Might be dirty, for sure. Expecially the first hour, but give it a try because on my skin it changed so much from the flash to the drydown that surely you want to be aware of how it will change on your skin as well. A bit too citrus and slightly sweet in the end, I would avoid it if you are looking for something really different or unusual. If you have a tattoo hidden somewhere, that might be a right choice: seems to me that this perfume, yet really good, screams its diversity in a rather subtle way... like the tattoo I was speaking before that you had to hide maybe just for work.

loren's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

i was never a bvlgari fan because it doesn't fit my chemistry. i remember spraying bvlgari green tea when i was at the mall and it smells awful with me, but one time i have this friend who smells great and i ask her what she's wearing, and it was rose essentielle then i ask her to spay on me just to know if it matches my chemistry...now, i have finished a 100ml bottle of EDP and my 100ml EDT is about to finished...and i'm planning to buy another 100ml of EDP. i really love rose essentielle, for me it's a very seductive scent and it lasts all day, you don't have to reapply..and i never fail to received a compliment whenever i wears it..

sliver1's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

New to Basenotes I was intriqued by how much A*Men polarized opinion and so I did something I rarely do, I bought it blind.

As soon as it arrived this morning I sprayed it twice on my neck with one little one on each wrist - I'd read that this is a fragrance best used with restraint.
    I got the chocolate and caramel thing straightaway - it's very warm and it certainly stands out from most of the other stuff that's on the market for men - don't we get a little fed-up with smelling of Le Male or something citrus based? I didn't find this as strong as some - it surrounded me nicely but I don't think it was sickly or offensive to anyone out and about - I'll apply a lot of more of this when I next go into work and report back! When it mellows it's still very warm but some notes come surface to keep it from being too sickly. It reminds every so slightly of a stronger, more sophisticated Baby Blue Jeans. It's not exactly fresh but it's not too cloying either, at least I didn't think so but then I usually drown myself in Antaeus. A*Men brings back lots of nice smells from childhood and adds a very naughty veneer! This is a seduction scent. I loved the way it followed me around (subtly) throughout the day and I just felt good and sexy when wearing it. This could be the start of something.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I have been wearing Cacharel's Anais Anais for many years. After reading everyone else's opinion I'm beginning to believe that, in some of us, the fragrance must just elicit warm and pleasant memories. I too, have many memories intertwined with the sweet smell of Anais Anais. It really has begun to drift into classic. The fragrance will aways remain a part of my collection, especially for essential summer wear.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

First, is one of those truly classic, classy scents. It hints at a silk suit, expensive heels, and hair up kind of experience. Subtle enough to wear to the office but definitley sexy and powerful enough for evening too. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

I would definitely agree that Juicy has a very light sugary edge to it. The tuberose is light and pleasant. I've only worn mine a few times but have had lots of compliments on it already. It is a very youthful feminine scent that somehow manages to miss being "too girly". I would recommend it, it does seem to be one of those scents that would smell good on anyone.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

I have been an almost daily wearer of Odeur 71 for approximately a year and I find it an amazing scent. As a sister fragrance to Odeur 53, I believe Odeur 71 is more 'friendly' as it is a mix of synthetics and florals ... and lettuce juice! Out of the bottle and when it is freshly sprayed, the synthetic side is more pronounced with the often mentioned burnt rubber tone being more dominant as well as what I think is a warm plastic smell (like a busy photocopier or hot computer). As it dries down however, there is a slight sweetness to the scent and it morphs into a more floral kind of scent. It is not a strong scent overall and you won't be leaving a trail of it as you walk down the street or hallway which is why I like CDG. The people that can smell it are the people you have closer contact with which I think is nice. Having said that however, I recall someone saying that you wear Odeur 71 for your own enjoyment and no one else's which sums me up totally!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Dry Clean by Comme des Garçons

Dry Clean was a bit of a dissappoinment for me. Initially, it's quite a captivating scent with it's light, airy, synthetic nature. However, there is a strange sweetness to the scent which I find hard to stomach and I find it more grating on repeated wearings. Another minus would be its lack of longevity. I find with Dry Clean, it dissappears very quickly. It is not a band scent by any stretch, but definitely not the best in CDG's Synthetic series and one of the weaker scents from CDG overall. Odeur 53 or 71 are better for fans of synthetics.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

Definitely the best scent in CDG's Synthetic series. Starts off quite strong and the PVC and leather notes dominate. Reminiscent of worn car upholstery. However, as it dries down it turns into a delicate woody scent (Sandalwood?) with a sweetness and freshness that is surprising as you don't predict the scent will end up there when you first spray it. Again, dissappointed with the lack of longevity with this one however, when it is detectable, it's a very rewarding scent! Also, a nice introduction to the world of CDG for novices who don't want to spend big on the other fragrances just yet.

brattonm_2006's avatar

Cool Water Deep Summer Fizz by Davidoff

I like this fragrance a LOT! If you like really clean and citrus scents... this is the one for you!

Quarry's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

The top notes present a unique stink for a fragrance intended for olfactory consumption: Crossing the pleasant fig-like sweetness is a scent I associate with rotted vegetation. I guess that's just the black tea stating its presence, but I could easier believe it's wet, decaying leaves swiped from a gooey gutter. As odd as it sounds, the odor is as compelling as it is off-putting. This phase is not eternal, and the heart notes reveal a pretty, one-of-a-kind fig. I'll always want a sample around for reference and amazement, but can't imagine wearing this full-on in the company of others.

jpapillon's avatar

Bonfire by Demeter Fragrance Library

Loved the initial smokiness, but the lingering scent of hotdogs was just not attractive -- even to the dog. My honey even asked me to "please stop wearing the mustard perfume".

scentsitivity's avatar

Richard James by Richard James

I don’t like this one. I think it is stuffy. I get plenty overwhelmed by the tuberose, which ruins it for me.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Route 66 by Coty

VERY NICE FRAG! SWEET AND HAS A VERY GOOD SILLAGE

bokaba's avatar

Insensé by Givenchy

Flowers, greens, and woods. I was dissapointed by this fragrance because I expected it to be a rich, luscious, refined floral. Its opening certainly is floral--but too synthetic for my taste. I wish it had some rose or jasmine to smooth it out. I agree with Foetidus that Insense is quite linear; after the floral opening, it dies down to a cedar/fir balsam accord that last all day. I was hoping Insense would be more like floris no. 89, but it is much more of the 90s than I can handle.

sameasalways's avatar

Jean Nate by Revlon

Wow I am suprised no one mentioned the dry down on this. I don't really understand how something so lemony and bright and charging full of energy can dry down to such a warm and musky scent on me. Very strange, and also it brings with it memories of childhood. Combined together and I just can't bring myself to walk away from this fragrance or say anything bad about it no matter how cheap it is! Its that sort of cheap thing you want to bring yourself to hate because it makes you feel tasteless and yet you keep coming back to it. It is simple and fresh and to me will always remind me of the change between between innocence and childhood and changing to a woman.

sameasalways's avatar

Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne

This is the only fragrance I have that is in the "sexy" category! I could never have picked out something for myself so well. If you see a picture of a woman's lips in a pout with deep red lipstick, this is the smell she would be wearing. It has a rich but bright cherry smell to me, and the peppercorn smell makes it work, preventing it from being cheap or girlie smelling. Then the drydown just gets richer and warmer and sexier, and the vanilla begins to peak out...just barely a tease. Sometimes I am afraid to wear this during the day...A mixture of rich dry red wine with plum notes for the drydown, (cherry and at first spritz/top notes berry notes), it does really remind me of some of my favorite wines...from start to finish.

ahmedshawky's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

As for me, it reminds me of something between Gucci Pour Homme and Carolina Herrera PH. Quite nice, but sillage is not great. Also it has some note that is a bit sour (that one which annoys you in Carolina PH, especially at warmer temperatures)

SirSlarty's avatar

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Interesting green citrus opening that dries down into a powdery green vanilla. Smells a bit "old man" but that's just my perspective. It does smell good.