Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

vintage*red's avatar

Bond Girl 007 by Avon

Don't let the offensive name, gawd awful bottle, or the fact that it comes from Avon stop you! This is a complex white floral with more than a hint of Orange Blossom. It has great staying power and sillage without being overpowering. Somehow this fragrance walks a fine line between modern and "old fashioned". I've been searching for a sophisticated yet friendly orange blossom scent, and I think I've found just that!

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Beckham Signature for Her by Beckham

I was surprised to discover I like this one. I'm going through a torrid love affair with all things anise and black licorice at the moment, and this fits the bill. A beautiful sweet anisic opening gives way to a floral-incense dry-down on my skin. Average persistance. Good sillage. I would best describe it was With Love Hillary Duff's opening stacked on Cabaret de Gres's dry-down.

Worth a try if you like any of the notes. Don't dismiss it simply because of its association with Posh Spice. I tried Beckham Instinct for Her and found it cheap-smelling, but Beckham Signature for Her is several notches above that one, both in quality of fragrance and also in price.

DawnLady's avatar

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

This is very light after the first blast - literally 'barely there' - but it is pretty. It develops into a soft, powdery, gentle, slightly oriental fragrance which lasts much longer than I expected it too. Lovely if you don't like overpowering perfumes or don't want to annoy anyone, but you do need to apply quite a lot if you want to notice it at all (unless that is just my bottle or my nose!)

DawnLady's avatar

Jewels of Blu by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Very pretty, fuity, but mature, perfume which mellows into a lovely sensual, soft vanilla-tinted drydown. The only problem is this just doesn't last on me - after half an hour I can hardly detect it at all. I like my perfumes to last at least a few hours, so I would not consider buying it, which is a shame because it is lovely.

da_markos's avatar

Poland Poland

212 Men Splash 2008 by Carolina Herrera

nooo :( it's like matching fire and water - citrus doesn't go well for me with this nice musk from 212. if you wanna sth for summer try aqua by herrera - really marvelous scent!!

jredman's avatar

Eternity by Calvin Klein

I loved this while in college. Unfor, this was the fragrance I was wearing when the love of my life dumped me. He later regretted it - after I was gone but I cannot stand it now. Brings back that heartache that will never be completely gone. I thought it was nice before although looking back, certainly not a sophisticated scent or one that I truly would have kept wearing anyhow.

Haiku by Avon

My grandma wears this and I mean a lot of it!!! It is very strong and overpowering. It is too flowery and I get headaches when I am around her. I don't know if it is her chemistry or if she applies too much, but smelling it on her made me want to stay at least 10 feet away from this stuff. Yuck!!! Sorry 2 give the first negative but it makes me want to leave the room when I smell this. I don't like it (at least the way it smells on her) and I won't even attempt to try it on me.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Coming from a females point of view...I love the way this smells, in the bottle and on a man's skin. It is a very popular fragrance, but that is because it smells soooo good (at least I think it does). For some reason I find this scent irresistible on a man, eventhough I don't know exactly what it is that makes it irresistable...maybe it's the way all of the notes blend beautifully together...It is clean and aquatic. I just love to smell it!

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I did not smell apples at all, on me it was more of a green floral fragrance. It is light but I don't really like the overpowering strength of the cucumber note in this one. Personally, the cucumber is a bit much in this one and the combination of notes isn't for me. It doesn't smell bad, some may think it smells nice. It is quite expensive (almost $50.00 for 1.7 oz bottle), so why does it remind me of an overpriced fruity/ green body splash? I also think that the round bottle and the sprayer on the top makes it a bit awkward to handle (it might be me because I have smaller hands?) I just don't know about this one...maybe if I keep using it, it the cucumber scent will grow on me? There is one problem though...it is lacking in the longevity department, it doesn't last very long on me (less than an hour) maybe I tried a bad bottle? or maybe it's just me? For now Be Delicious remains neutral in my book.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

I like this one a lot. It's fresh and creamy. Gets lots of positive attention too. And it's very inexpensive. Or rather it was... As it's discontinued now. :(

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

This was a blind buy... And a very wrong one. It's very sweet and cloying. I am used to wearing the heavier stuff, but the outburst of cinnamon and vanilla used to give me headaches...

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I was given this a misguided present from my aunt. Well, it is nice and clean, citrusy smell. Nothing out of ordinary. I believe it's a good fragrance for a teenager - it is not offensive or cloying, nothing that could cause an upheavel in a high school... Yet, it's fresh and clean. It's just not quite up my street.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the Holy Trinity of Tom Ford's men's fragrances. With Gucci Pour Homme and YSL M7 it forms a staple in my collection. It's ultra-masculine and very 1970s classic. It's sweet and soapy barbershop opening makes me feel really good, clean and confident... I just wish it would stay on my skin bit longer.

If masculine and old school is your thing - just go for this masterpiece...

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

I bought this one out of desperation - to cure my winter blues and what a buy it was. Aigner Black is very masculine scent housed in a very elegant bottle with a leather cap. I really enjoy the leather note contained in the juice itself. It is also well suited for daywear into office, as it gets lots of compliments from fellow female co-workers... It also goes well with the rest of my collection.

iknows's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Marvelous salty old dog of a wood scent from Serge Lutens. Works very well with other SL's, beefing them up, putting hair on their chests...Daim Blonde, Borneo, etc!

iknows's avatar

Wode by Boudicca

Bois d'Ombrie light? It's really nice but I own Bois d'Ombrie and have no use for it for this reason. Wode is a more wearable version though, so there. Much safer. If you can handle danger, though, go with Bois D'Ombrie.

Luís Cláudio's avatar

Brazil Brazil

212 Men Splash 2008 by Carolina Herrera

I don´t like it much. I bought it since it was on sale and I like the other 212 fragrances. It lasts very little on my skin, I know it´s a summer fragrance though.

's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

My father wore Heritage in the nineties, and I remembered it wrong. He is a dark, portly, effete, gourmand of a man, and his fragrances always seemed to be calculatedly classic, with an irreverent splash of, "I'm Latin." (Think Antaeus, Azzaro...) Good things, but not things I would go for, nor feel neither excited nor nostalgic about.
    BUT I smelled Heritage again today, and I find it wonderful. I am overcome by associations, i'm thinking of antique stores and old books, voyeuristic, estatesale jaunts into perfectly-kept, time-capsule, men's dressing rooms... I want a bottle as soon as possible for my collection.
    I must say though, that this is the fragrance of the man of the house. I tend to be perversely androgynous in my take on most fragrances, saying often that true classics may be worn by either sex and impart faceted, genderless character. But not Heritage. It's a man, this one. An established man with taste and exposure, but staid rather than adventurous. Yet venerable entirely.

aphexacid's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This is my first review, and i must say its not easy coming up with intersting things to say about what you smell in different scents.

My girlfriend has been wearing NR for women for about 4 years now, and i absolutely love it on her. its a very pleasant, and almost intoxicating perfume.

While looking for a new cologne to purchase for my self recently, i saw that NR makes it for men, i ordered blindly based of the fragrance notes description. Im in love with it. it smells exactly as described. It actually smells a lot like the female version, but is definitely for men. i dont know what else to say about it, if you think you might like a scent based on the fragrance notes description, get it!

For me, it lasts a long time, hours. i love it, i love it!

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

I tried Hugo Boss Woman for a day and I quite liked it. Its neither heavy nor too floral, which is exactly what I'm looking for. But there's something about the smell after, say 20 minutes, that I associate with office women. But not the types that wear skirts, but women who can pull off wearing a suit without giving up any femininity at all .

At first I thought that was just the name -you know, boss-, but then I let people smell it without adding the name and they actually said the same thing. That could be the effect on my skin only though.

Its the reason I don't wear it. My Boyfriend's first comment to the smell was: "Good! Very nice... but too old for you." Confirming what I actually already knew. Hugo Boss Woman would probably smell very good on women who are 28-35, smart, subtle-sexy and feminine. And since I'm smart, but only 20 I can't really pull it off.

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

It's warm, it's soft, it's elegant, it's Lacoste Pour Femme.

I love the way the bottle, the box, and the add represent both the fragrance and Lacoste as a brand so well. Its really well done. But the smell itself appears hard to classify. Some call it 'warm and romantic' and a girl I know called it 'sophisticated'. On me, Lacoste smells soft and warm, I really like to wrap that around me. Unfortunatelly saleswomen tend to call it 'fresh and flowery' and they start to bring on scents that are really nothing like it. I've been trying for some time now to find a fragrance like it, but I haven't succeeded so far.

I wear it daytime, but also have used it for a night out. People who notice the smell are pretty impressed by it. I never had a negative comment on this perfume, and this is the only perfume I have which pulled that off. (My entire family has a picky nose)

It stays a few hours but could be better, thats the only slightly negative thing I can think off.

Hypnôse by Lancôme

I get why Lancome called it Hypnose. That first sweet sweet smell of Lilac stays a long time in a penetrant way. Its like a floral attack of just one kind of flower. After 30 minutes I like it better. But by then a powdery smell takes over which is not bad, but very young and so inoffensive. I guess its just not my taste.

Love the add with Daria Werbowy though.

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

The first notes I smelled were fine. Not good, not for me, but an OK, pretty standard fragrance. Then after a few minutes, Diamonds smells like Men, (Too-Much) Vanilla and headache.

Definitely not a 'girls best friend'.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

Undoubtedly the most "soapy clean" male fragrance I've smelled to date. It is true what others have said, about it being weak and lacking longevity. A point to consider: I have a friend whose wife hates fragrance on men, and this one doesn't bother her at all! I guess every product has it's place. Anyway, it reminds me instantly of Philosophy's Amazing Grace. Gentlemen, if you are going to visit a friend and hold their newborn baby in your arms...or perhaps comfort someone with closeness and hugs...this fragrance will not offend! I also find it to be unisex. Citrus + verbena = freshness in a bottle. (BTW, I get no leather here - even though it's listed.)

zztopp's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Notes:
    Top: Grapefruit, Coriander, Basil
    Middle: Cardamom seed, Ginger, Orange blossom
    Base: Cedar, Amber, Tobacco

Created for the modern hedonist who never passes by unobserved, The One for men delivers a boring, just-barely-good-enough workman like performance that will pass you by ..

Citrus painted with a coat of fresh aromatic spices and spicy-herbal basil highlights lays down the carpet for The One,...theres also a zingy ginger note acting as an outlier. Within minutes a juicy orange blossom note comes forth to form the main heart ..ironically incontrast to the top notes this is an orange blossom note stripped of its spicy tones, and is more juicy mandarin like in its effect. I detect no coconut note whatsoever .. perhaps its the intermingling of the top and heart notes via the cardamom that brings about a very tenuous coconut link for a minute or two at most, although I should say that Mr. Bareback-sex-on-a-beach aka Mathew McConoughey (the face of The One homme) wouldn't mind a fresh coconut note all.. The juicy sweetness of the blossom melds into the ambery basenotes with bare traces of sweet tobacco and woods. Moderate sillage and 5-6 hour longevity for this One.

In this era of 800 fragrance releases per year, The One's solid but very conventional construction comes off as boring and yawn worthy .. there's no edge and no distinctive accord to propel this into the top 500. Perhaps D&G need to use the nudist colonies that Mathew McConoughey is so hell bent to start as inspiration for their next juice..

Rating: 6.00/10.00

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Coco by Chanel

My favourite Chanel fragrance, the cream is divine and the EDT makes me feel a million bucks whenever I wear it and it I get lots of compliments when I do. Distinctive but not a slap in the face like many orientals can be. Sophisticated and classic, I will always wear this one.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Poême by Lancôme

I love this one! Always reminds me of London as it was one I wore when I travelled for the first time and still remains a winter favourite. Reminds me of going out in freezing weather, freshly scrubbed, dressed up in a beautiful coat and out clubbing or just have a hot chocolate in a warm cafe somewhere. Love, love, love it!! Gets lots of compliments, have been told it smells a bit like candy.

Aiona's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Apparently there are two formulations of Chergui -- the brown (original) and the green (newer). From reading the Basenotes forums, others have said they smell exactly the same. However, my review is of the brown juice. (I haven't tried the newer green version yet.) It has everything I love to smell, and nothing I don't (patchouli). It opens with something kind of green and citrusy (bergamot perhaps?), but that is short-lived. After that, it's mostly candy-sweet amber, cinnamon, vanilla to me. Some people have listed hay, honey, leather as things they smell. I really don't get any leather. If one is looking for leather, there are tougher leathery scents out there (i.e. Bandit, Tuscan Leather), but this is not one of them. And musk? I'm not a big fan of musk, and if there's musk in here, it's rather mild. It's nothing like the heavy-hitting Musc Ravageur to me. Sillage on me was moderate. It wafts around me nicely, but doesn't precede me into a room. Longevity is incredible. After 12 hours, I was still giving off waves of amber-vanilla -- the drydown. It stays close to my skin though. It's not a sillage monster, by far. 'Just a nice gourmandy oriental. Thumbs up from me! Too bad it's so hard to find, and mucho expensive to boot!

pookerella's avatar

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

This would be OK as a candle, but not a skin scent. Very sweet, orange and patchouli, cassie absolut, lavendin, lemongrass ... carry it around to wake up a person who fainted. Very sharp scent that will "stun" you and not in a good way. They say it's very popular, but I just do not get it. Not for me.

pookerella's avatar

Fever by Lush

Another "best seller" that LUSH USA discontinued. I like this scent very much, although I prefer Silky Underwear and American Cream over this one. Jasmin absolut, rose absolut and sandalwood. Nice, warm, sexy. It is a bit sharp at first, but it warms up nicely. One positive thing about solid perfumes is that you don't get that sick headache. Lush's ingredients are very pure, so "scrubbing" is not usually necessary (only for Karma). It's definitely pretty, spicy, and worth purchasing. Do like I did and get your friend in the UK to purchase them for you and send them to you. They are cheaper in the UK ($9 in the UK, $12 in the US) but for one TEENY tin, they will charge you $50 to ship it. My friend sent me 5 tins for $5.