Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Patchouli by Jalaine

This patchouli perfume oil has that same texture and feeling as A*Men's patchouli note and even has a hint of vanilla (instead of chocolate). Truly wonderful stuff as it's much richer, deeper and aromatic than other patchouli scents I've smelled. Top quality.

Vanilla by Jalaine

Not powdery, not overly sweet, this is pure vanilla. Buttery quality to it and sits lightly on the skin. Excellent quality as always with Jalaine. A perfect vanilla? Maybe, since it smells really, really good, there are some that would like projection. Thumbs up!

Ocean by Jalaine

White florals are aquatic? Eh, I'm not too sure about that. I mentioned that Gardenia smelled a little like a scented candle but better in quality. Ocean IS a scented candle, a pleasant smell but something to fill a room with to freshen it up, not to wear. Musky white florals interplay to form a lightly fresh airy accord. I don't like it as it reminds me of Oust air fresheners.

Green Tea by Jalaine

There's a Japanese/Chinese restaurant I go to often and for dessert I order their green tea flavored mochi. This reminds me of that dessert but with a touch of lemon. Excellent green tea scent, slightly salty. Good stuff.

Citrus Dream by Jalaine

They're not kidding with the name! Outrageously tart and sour. This is PURE CITRUS. It's like a lime lollipop dipped in lemonade mixed with orange and grapefruit juice. Really bittersweet but invigorating. But like most citrus scents, even with perfume oil strength, this doesn't last long, 4 hours tops but really a dream to wear.

Silk by Jalaine

Sweet, creamy, vanilla, musk, and even though it's not listed I swear I smell a touch of ylang-ylang. I was expecting a high, screechy white floral with a name like "Silk" but my predilections of other fragrances called silk are shattered by something that actually is SMOOTH. Has white florals in it but they are intermittently soothed into a thin flowing texture by vanilla. Good stuff.

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

Better than Molecule 01, this is peppery and woody and overall a more pleasant experience than Molecule 01. You can't smell it on yourself but on paper you can. I'll call it the Phantom Frag.

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Of all the notes listed... I smell a patchouli note. Resinous accords of amber, coffee and bourbon. These three notes must be giving me a patchouli illusion. Or maybe the illusion of A*Men? Anyways, it's deep but not rich, Coze is slightly herbaceous, lightly boozy, kinda woody but most of all chocolatey coffee. Nice scent but not impressive.

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

Like all the other "black" fragrance with that moniker, it's mostly sweet. 360 Black does a little change up by adding in a green, leafy note of tea. Smells just like 360 White with tea. Nothing great.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Champaca by Comme des Garçons

Eh, it's alright. Smells like an indolic rose, if that's a champaca flower it's not too exotic. A light musky powdery drydown. I find this a very feminine and typical white flower-esque fragrance.

Alba by Profumum

Woody and resinous, Alba is a creamy combination of woods, hazelnut, woods, almonds, woods, amber and woods. Too bad the woods isn't strong but they are ever present. Dries down int oa typical amber accord. The nuttiness is quite appealing went bolstered by the amber base, make lacks any punch. A calm, and serene scent.

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Unquestionably sour and citrusy in the opening. Dries down quickly into a musky woody accord. It's very, very sharp ad strong and goes from light to dark. A good fragrance and very uplifting. Just lacks longevity.

DaKnows's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

One of my favorite Creeds, Royal English Leather is an example of how a fragrance can be very simple yet still quite interesting. On me it starts out smelling like cheap, orange flavored cough syrup, but this quickly fades away and reveals a well balanced leather that is clean yet still pungent and, well, "leathery." Also I would note that this smells much different if I spray it on my shirt. There the mandarin notes persist well into the drydown, making the composition too sweet. Unlike many other fragrances I have, I only spray this one on my skin.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Spicy cloves, bay, cinnamon, and lavender that reveals a rose laid upon sandalwood that is lightly touched by incense.

Very nice, soapy, and medicinal -- stays close to the skin.

lizzie_j's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

This type of fragrance is not my usual 'cup of tea' as I tend to love niche scents, especially orientals, gourmands and spices. Having said that, I am so surprised that I love this! The initial blast of musty, dusty aldehydic powder quickly settles down to a soapy, clean, delicate floral. It is very pretty, in the best sense. It's not a big bold 'in your face' fragrance. It's subtle and interesting, complex and memorable. I'm waiting to smell the incense (several hours into my wear), and the musk and sandalwood are still playing a remote second fiddle to the florals, but are slowly making their beautifully balanced presence known. This is quite lovely. The kind of fragrance I might wear to see a Nutcracker matinee with my daughter, or for lunch with my mom in San Francisco.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

this is a nauseating, empty, overly sweet and cloying fragrance. one of the worst!

Kiton Napoli by Kiton

Kiton is one of the finest brands of clothing in the world...and now i've come to grips with the fact that the 3 mens fragrances they've released; Man, Black, and this Napoli are all absolutely faultless. I needed a 'fresh' scent, but not one of those disgusting generic department store scents being sold these days----so i heard about Napoli and bought it blind off a fellow BNer and it is GREAT. it smells very oceanic, mediterranean, and breezy....as all Kitons are, this has superb sillage and longetivity----and goes very well with one of my all-time favourite fragrances----Kiton Black. Napoli is discontinued and very hard to find.....but if you ever find it for an affordable price, definitely worth a try...if you don't want it after trying it--PM me and i'll buy it from you.

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

this reminds me of laundry......very clean and detergent like...or fabric softener like. but oh wait...i hate doing laundry and i'm not particularly fond of the smell of laundry soaps and softeners. thanks but no thanks!

twinpeaker's avatar

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Basala and Basara in Japanese are the same word, meaning free, unrestrained, unconventional. It explains why this men's fragrance was release under both names. The fragrance lives up to its name --it is bold, unique and unconventional, with only enough allusion to traditional masculine fragrances to keep the wearer from initially dismissing it as unwearable. Wearable it is (though not for the faint or heart, and not for the heat of summer), with a lovely prolonged evolution through warm spices to leather chypre. The longevity is astounding. It also has Serge Lutens fingerprints on it, at times calling to mind the suede of Daim Blond.

surreality's avatar

Ambre d'Or by Il Profumo

Ambre d'Or (Parfum) is a very rich, spicy, sweet amber complemented with a white musk note that is very prominent in the top notes (and smells very much like Musk Lifesavers) The heart notes introduce a few floral notes and honey. The honey and musk notes lasts into the dry down and the amber gets a little more powdery. Very nice clean smelling musky amber that has very good longevity and projects off the skin fairly well.

BlackCat's avatar

Ginger Ciao 2.27 by Yosh

I get creamy coconut, ginger, and a hint of basil on the top notes. Coconut and ginger are usually off notes on me, but for some reason (perhaps because they're naturals?) they work. They are exotic without being cloying or smelling like cheap suntan lotion. The florals are in the background but then slowly peek out. I'm not sure it's worth the money for a full bottle, but I think it is worth trying to see whether you like it and whether it works on your skin.

vintage*red's avatar

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

I love the lavender top note (reminds me of Jicky for just a moment) and the lovely vanilla amber drydown, but those middle notes prevent my giving this one 4 stars. It's a little too sweet gourmand (too much coffee with sugar, maybe?). However the price is right, so I say give this one a try. It is much more "modern" than those old Guerlains which I adore, so maybe this one is for a younger crowd. And it does last quite a while, which is a real plus.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Nude by Bill Blass

At first I didn't like nude AT ALL!!!! I thought it was harsh, chemical, cheap, and very unfamiliar, but something about it enticed me and made me continue to sniff my arm after the dry down. I was persistent and kept trying it on different days (for a period of about a year). I continued to smell myself and kinda developed a love/ hate relationship with Nude. Now after several years of using it, I have to admit that I love this fragrance now. It is a one of a kind unique fragrance, that is very powerful when first sprayed (spray lightly, too much will overdo it). It is very chemical/ acryllic at the very beginning and dries down to a consistent note (I can't quite explain it) with a powedery undertone. It is a simple fragrance that is very complex at the same time. The notes remain consistent through out and it is long lasting and talk about amazing sillage. If you like the smell of patchouli, you might like this very much. It doesn't smell like patchouli, but it is one of those scents that is unique. Very clean. Not flowery. Not musky. Noy woodsy. Not aquatic. It does catch attention because everyone always asks what is that you are wearing, especially men! It's sometimes funny to tell them "Nude" because of their reaction from the name. It is unique, captivating, and seductive which is why I love it so......I would recommend that you sample this first before buying because it may not be for everyone (even though everyone else said I smelled good when I wore this, it took me several years to like it.)

pollypolster1's avatar

Eugénie by Rancé 1795

First impression was nice but not special. Then I kept smelling something lovely and realised it was it. Had to go back and get it as soon as possible.

welchatquietplease's avatar

Moustache by Rochas

I'm surprised nobody has described this in the way I'm experiencing it: after a strange thickly citrus/wood opening, where each keeps stepping in front of the other for attention, this wonderful stuff opens out into fresh hay, a tiny whiff of horse-shit, and guest soap. And I mean all that in a good way, it is refined yet rumpled, comfortable, and inviting. I suppose the hay comes from the citrus fading to sour plus something green being uncovered. The hay goes fainter and brown as you move to drydown, but remains old hay for me rather than tobacco or leather. Perhaps I'm smelling the same thing as the rest of you, and just don't resolve it into such polite notes!

Kolle's avatar

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Green No. 1582 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Quite decent, actually. This is a very clean, citrusy scent with good longevity. I detect some hints of orange and grass. This is not really a formal, evening type of scent, though. I personally spray a few spritzes immediately after showering. The scent is still with me when I wake up.

's avatar

Estée by Estée Lauder

I really love this kind of floral chypre, full on attack on your nose, seventies-style. It's pure nostalgia for me, and where I can quite see how one could find this offensive, it's for me that insanely powerful scent recognition experience that classier fragrances like First, Mitsouko, and "Y" subtly, masterfully hint at (it's what they took away from the old Rive Gauche, btw)... in all its seventies,I-am-not-understated-but-AMERICAN glory. And I LOVE it. Not for a fine meal or a date with a snob, but loads of fun nonetheless. Use sparingly.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I got this a while ago at Sears.....
    I made the mistake of not smelling it before I bought it... Anyways, the smell isn't bad, per se, but not my favorite. It smells rather synthetic, and it's really strong. I put some of it on in the morning and I could smell it when I got home. It was kind of overpowering, actually. I didn't get any compliments from women when I was wearing it. My friend said it smelled "not bad". Oh yeah, and the pheromones? Don't see those working, either. Smells...cheap in my opinion.

Unforgivable by Sean John

I tried this cologne, and it was really great. A very nice, pleseant cologne. Not too strong, not too weak. It seems to fall within the "casual" category. The only issue with it being more causual is the fact that the scent goes away a lot faster than some other colognes I've tried. Girls seem to like it, too. However, as time progresses the scent kinda turns into a much more subtle, simpler scent. One friend categorized it as smelling like sweat...

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Hrm..... I personally thought this cologne was pretty decent. Not my favorite, but a good choice nonetheless. Nice packaging, very classy looking. It smells pretty good, actually. Kind of a fresh scent, slightly citrusy. It's really strong when you first put it on, though, so watch out. Also, it's not the most masculine smelling cologne. Kinda metro, if you catch my drift.