Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

krispy's avatar

Essence Rare by Houbigant

i am new to this site and am not a fragrance expert , but i am always, always hoping and trying to find Essence Rare. i used to wear it in the 70s and early 80s but kept finding it harder and harder to locate. one day i finally wrote to houbigant and received the answer that it had been discontinued. i wish that it could be brought back because it was fabulous. i have never forgotten it. and i loved the shape of the bottle, too.

Knize Sec by Knize

I got a sample today. As I tried it on already the memory of Choc by Cardin came to me. Choc was discontinued quite a while ago.Haven't smelled it in decades as it seems. It was a strong, lovely, happy, fruity, spicy scent. Meant for girls.
    At Knize the lady said there was some incense in the scent, and true enough the top notes evoke Messe de Minuit, something christmassy with cloves, oranges and church. I smell mango later on, and leaves, and the pungent but nice Knize base lurking at the back.
    It's an inspiring scent.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Inside a barber's shop in the South of France, then the Monday market in front of the shop as you step out and the sun is on you. The bitter lemons, the red watermellons, the overripe fruit for a second. Hot greenness and into the shade, where the smell rests and sighs. Breathes.
    This is where I stand, and in the basenotes there is also water, the lake I know of, nearby.

28 La Pausa by Chanel

This scent makes me think of a woman walking half asleep in a forest, wearing a faint dreamy smile on her face, and you can never know what she is.
    As she vanishes, the smell appears and takes her place: dry sweetness.
    Her address maybe 31 rue Cambon.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Beautiful, soft, feminine fragrance. Reminds me of all the good things about childhood and fond warm memories of the women in my family, mother, grandmother yet remains sexy enough to be worn out as a romantic perfume. Soft enough not to be intrusive, definitely does not smell cheap although it's playful and romantic. Just beautiful!

(Definitely more a winter than summer fragrance, though - and personally I prefer to wear the body lotion - more than the EDT even as that is fairly strong if not lightly sprayed...nice as a light hair or bra spritz though), keep it light, warm and soft, I say...

14 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2011)

LiveJazz's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

If you like soapy scents, run, don't walk, to the nearest mall to get Infusion d'Homme. It's an opaque, stark, chalky white soap from the future, with just enough softness that it won't send you cowering. The imagery that comes to mind is a clean room at an Apple product development facility.

Unlike many scents of this type, it has a definite presence, and after the super-sharp topnotes smooth out, a nice lightly sweetened incensey powder enters the background, lending some humanity to a scent that otherwise smells very technological.

I don't actually smell a direct iris note in it, as I do in, say, L'Homme de Coeur. But that isn't really what we're after here. In IdH, the "iris" is more of cold, green powderiness, not a beautiful, blooming iris flower. And that's fine with me.

15 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2010)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Red Aoud by Montale

I really enjoy the warm, cosy saffron burst in the opening. Unfortunately, this soon turns sharp and soapy on my skin, the kind of soapiness I can literally taste, not just smell. I could swear there were roses and geranium in this - soapy, potpourri-like roses and unpleasantly sharp and aromatic geranium (I hate geranium!). Maybe it's the aoud at it's most medicinal. I find it not exactly bad smelling but very loud and annoying to wear.

jrd4t's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

Boooring. It seems like every designer scent from your regular department store is beginning to smell like the same aquatic mess with just the slightest touch of something interesting. This isn't a bad scent, but it's definitely something you'd expect to smell on someone sporting a popped collar and cheap hair gel. This is on the top of the others in its class so I give it a neutral rather than negative.

Morgaine's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

This is one I have mixed feelings about. I have liked it from the moment it first came out, and have been among its staunchest defenders: "what watermelon? I get no watermelon!" - only lovely, cooling spices (cardamom, lemon grass, maybe a tiny bit of clove and nutmeg) after an opening of what has to be the most convincing ginger note in a long time. Fresh, juicy, not overwhelmingly sweet.
    During the summer, I revisited it every once in a while, content with my observations still ringing true; cool, spicy ginger sorbet. After forgetting about this one and getting on with my perfume education, I recently found the sample again and put some on my wrist. Watermelon. Yikes. I'm not sure if it is the change in temperature or humidity, but it ruined the composition for me. I'll have to try it in warmer weather again, but I'll approach it with trepidation now.

HDS1963's avatar

Elixir by Penhaligon's

I am going to fly in the face of the previous reviews by disagreeing completely with them.

I've lived with this fragrance since way before it was released and have grown to love it.

It's not thin by any stretch of the imagination, nor is particularly peppery. Take the richness of Gucci Homme I and mix it with Hammam Bouquet and you get a close approximation of Elixir.

It has a rich woods and incense body to it sweetened by the Turkish Rose notes of HB, which is where it eventually dries down to. A fine rose based scent which a touch of incense. The far drydown on this is beautiful.

No one fragrance on the market directly equates to this. A fine fragrance which I will continue to enjoy greatly. When my current bottle runs out will I get another? Oh yes.

JanAlways's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Winter Star by Michael Storer

I recently got my bottle of the re-issued Winter Star. I'm knocked out by it - it's different to anything I already own.

It's spicy, soft, enveloping and... SKANKY!

There's a dirty undertone to it that sets it apart from anything else in my collection. It's also VERY strong, so one spray will do it! It lasts a very long time, though it recedes into a soft powdery and cosy hum after a couple of hours. (Some may find that powdery hum a little too feminine, but I think a man can pull it off.)

Thanks to that skanky note, it smells like sex in a potpourri shop. (I have always hated potpourri shops, but will look at them in a new light from now on!)

dpak's avatar

1818 by Brooks Brothers

For the first thirty minutes or so, this is a potent, boozy, room-filling sillage monster - don’t use this before taking a breathalyzer test! When the booze burns off, a spicy and floral vanilla is left. It’s nice and certainly classy, but it may be too quiet. Plus, you have to sit through the massive, headache-inducing opening.

SirSlarty's avatar

Sir Irisch Moos by Sir

Manly oakmoss and strong, even in the aftershave formulation! Been looking for the EdT but I think it's been discontinued or put on hold and could only find the aftershave. Can be found inexpensively in Germany at department stores. Good bang for the buck (or euro/mark)

SirSlarty's avatar

Dunhill London by Dunhill

Fruity musk with a very, very light fuzzy powdery basenote. The apple top is good but it's mostly musk.

jagmartini's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

I love this, and the ladies love it on me--when it's first applied. However, after about an hour, I'm not recognized because well, Happy seems to disappear...leaving me very un-Happy, no pun intended.

tanto's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I have to laugh at some of the reviews for Quorum. This is certainly not a 'little boys" fragrance at all. However, it's a "mans fragrance". By all means this does separate the "men from the boys". It's deep, sensual, and most important......MANLY! So, if you're into aquatics, this is definitely NOT FOR YOU. End of discussion.

bbBD's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

A wonderful melange of smells I associate with growing up through Northeast US winters.... the smell of the woods outside and then coming inside to smell a fireplace, cookies baking, and spiced cider. The initial blast of pine and spice (cinnamon and/or nutmeg to my nose) is pretty intense but mellows quickly into a ginger/pine/incense accord. The accord eventually sweetens a touch with a little vanilla, and the entire composition is comfortably musky. Perhaps it's just my association with the spices that are featured, but I could sweat I almost get a rum note reminiscent of a rum spiked cider. The only other fragrance I've smelled that is similar is Winter Woods EdP by Sonoma Scent Studio, which also captures the 'winter spice' vibe perfectly.

As mikeperez says, find this quick before the e-tailers are all out.

dgenerator's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Encre Noire by Lalique

I thought Terre d'Hermes was my favorite perfume until I read here on Basenotes someone mentioned Encre Noire was a better version so with a big skepticism I decided to test it. Wow! They have in common the Vetiver note only and I am not sure if I can relate them in such a direct way but anyway Encre is more elegant and mature and is definitely my Number One from now on :) I still love Terre d'Hermes though. Everything else has been said, so I will save your time.

funnyboy's avatar

Elite by Floris

Strange,I dont know about this one.Sometimes I like it and other times I am negative.It is definately unique and quite old fashioned.I wouldnt say it smells cheap like Aqua Brave as it still has a hint of sophistication with its mossy dry down.
    I cant say it is overly citrus as I dont like many citrus fragrances.I am in the 40 to 50 age bracket and can wear this comfortably.More of an autumn/winter smell than for warmer climes.Quite nice used with body products.E.G deo and soap as it adds to the longevity and warmth of the fragrance

Weekend for Women by Burberry

That peachy tranquil perfume reminds me of my best friend! I like it very much on her, but this type of fragrance is not for me.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I think it's ok as a smell, but I prefer hyacinths in a beautiful vase than on me.

Noa by Cacharel

It's ok ,but quite usual and a little "empty".

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I totally love this one! It reminds me of flowers with the morning dew on them! Very good lasting power on me , and it gets better anv bette as the time passes

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

That perfume is quite weird. Not in a bad way. It smells very "pink"!

Amor Amor by Cacharel

A cousin of mine puts a LOT of it on, and it ends up smelling rather cheap and synthetic. I tried to give it a second chance, I went to a beauty store and sprayed my self sparingly. It still was cheap.

Chestnut's avatar

Din-Dan by Lostmarc'h

I liked the first whiff of this. Then something changed and it really didn't want it on me anymore -- from playful, very sweet lemon it started smelling a bit too flowery/soapy. After a half hour I absolutely had to wash it off. I love citrus but this was way too girly and flirty for me.

tuffpup29's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Received a sample of this in the post but think it must have bee wrongly labeled - I got the most gorgeous smell of one of my favorite flowers, Lilies. So think the must have actually sent me Lys Mediterranee. If not then I must have the weirdest nose...

I've given it neutral simply because I don't think I had the right one, but I did love what I was sent and will be trying to smell some of both to see!

DawnLady's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

This is so gentle, refined, mysterious, uncommon - and so beautifully blended. I initially thought that it was not something I would want to wear, though I could immediately sense its quality. But there is something strange and haunting about it that keeps me coming back to it - I think it is the aniseed, which I can detect throughout, though no one note ever really dominates. Although subtle on application it lasts for ages on my skin - one good spray in the morning and I can still clearly detect it when I go to bed. I would recommend sampling this one on its own, so it is not overwhelmed by other coarser and more powerful scents, to be able to appreciate its subtlety and beauty.

egrorian's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Iquitos by Alain Delon

At first I thought this might be too feminine but after a few moments I realised that Iquitos is truly gorgeous! Straight into my top five, I quickly bought another two miniatures in case I wasn't able to track down a full size bottle (although I have managed to get a 100ml very recently).

VanAllan's avatar

Romania Romania

The Dreamer by Versace

Even if I'm not a real newbie in the world of fragrances, I think this one fully deserves my first review. I received this as a gift set on my birthday (in summer) and only now on cold weather it shows its real beauty: this is a scent that every oriental scent fan should try/have it !. For me, it does the magic trick...bitter/sharp at first, then sweet/flowery in middle, ending with the best tobacco-woody note I ever smelled. Very bold and masculine, it developes a statement you can't ignore. I loved it from the first sniff and still use it for special evenings and dates. Some people compare it with D&G (which has a stronger persistent citrusy feel and less tobacco), but I think this is more refined, complex and long-lasting. It will be a stayer in my modest wardrobe and forever in my top 10.