Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

a cloying, disgusting peppery mess of a fragrance. i'm testing it for the 3rd time today, and each time it has made me dizzy and sick. fail!

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

not nearly as good as Lalique's Encre Noire----which is the same scent, only far more focused, intense, and beautiful. fail again, Malle!

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

as other Malle fragrances often do...this one makes me feel sick as well with its cloying nature. a generic niche scent.....i didn't know it was possible, but now i'm sure it is. there's nothing remarkable about this scent at all, except for the fact that it costs over $200 a bottle....definitely not worth it....especially for such a pedestrian scent.

Katrinket's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm glad he made it, and I'm glad I've smelled this, but I don't need to smell it again. I went through my sample slowly, waiting, waiting to love it, but no. For me, the anise is very off-putting. And the patchouli. Actually, the more times I tried it, the less appealing it became. It's not a scrubber by any means, but it's not right for me. And yet, I can see why it's beloved by many. No blind buys on this one, understand me? Sample first.

twinpeaker's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

A meditation on transparent wood and incense. Cerebral and brilliant in that inimitable CDG style. This is slightly more wearable than the other Mark Buxton masterpiece MoslBuddJewChristHinDao, which is about incense and snuffed-candles. If you like one, try the other, and enjoy comparing and contrasting. Hinoki has that damp, steamed wood smell, so to me I don't smell dry wood-shop cedar curls. But I understand the reference. The peculiar musty opening "evaporates" in the dry down, which literally smells dryer than the opening. Cheeky and clever! And beautiful.

twinpeaker's avatar

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Okay, I'm a big fan of art perfumes, the strange and beautiful, but I think this one takes the cake! This has the strangest opening of any fragrance I have ever smelled, almost repellent, but it quickly morphs into something extraordinary. It is complex, haunting, gray, and smoky. At times reminiscent of Mitsouko and at other times of Sienne l'Hiver - woman and man, soft and hard, warm and cold, it is a study in contrasts co-existing. It was developed by Simon Constantine of Never too Busy to Be Beautiful (Lush offshoot) as a 50/50 combination of his masculine Exhale and feminine Inhale perfumes. Since it is the breath of God, it makes sense that the emphasis here appears to be on the Exhale, smoky incense, cedar, pepper. There is an abstract rose in there -- just enough floral to keep this from being relentless pungent, earthy and smoky. To me, the pictured conjured up in my mind is of a Tibetan temple against a backdrop of a cloudy November sky, barren trees, and the scent of a burning leaf-pile nearby, or incense from the temple. If this all sounds too arch and improbable (the name doesn't help....), give it a try, hang in there for the amazing, lingering dry down and see for yourself. By God, it works! Tania Sanchez of Perfumes: the Guide recently gave it a rare 5-star rating. This is one of those rare perfumes that changes every time you catch a whiff of it. It is far more beautiful from a distance. When you get up close the stark contrasts become accentuated. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. Truly a unisex scent.

tanto's avatar

Royal Secret by Royal Secret

My Mom used to wear this when I was a kid. Occasionally I'll smell this on some older women. It was really popular in the 60's and even into the early 70's. It is very subtle and pleasant but a little bit on the heavy side though not sickening in any way. More of a winter fragrance.

bbBD's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

*THE* classic leather fragrance - smooth leather that is neither too clean or too dirty. This is the official reference point for all leather fragrances and is required if you are fan of the genre. Some reviewers describe only needing one spray... I say spray away and don't pay attention to those nasty stares in your elevator. I love being enveloped in K-10, and I'm glad I hunted down a bottle.

If you're in the US and you see a bottle, buy it! As the time of this writing the US distributor stopped carrying them and no one has picked up the business. A friend who owns a fragrance shop and used to carry Knize has tried to get the company on the phone for weeks and they won't return her calls or emails. It looks like they don't care about having a US presence, which is a shame because after decades Ten is finally catching on.

bbBD's avatar

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

There's something else this reminds of - strongly - and for the life of me I can't place it. The top is a bit sweet, but it soon settles down into a particularly aromatic woody/coffee accord. I don't find it to be gourmand at all, but pleasantly aromatic. It sweetens up when in its final development with an amberish base.

Nothing wrong with Divine Enfante, but there's nothing daring either. If the quality of the materials and strength of the oil wasn't so good, this would be indistinguishable from a designer release. However if you need an inoffensive, high-quality fragrance this isn't a bad choice.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

im really sorry for being like a sabotager ....but ... i really only smell rice on this fragrance .....

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

i did not like it at all ..... i think it smells like you have been eaten so spices that your sweating smells so ....

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

it smells like cough medicin i used to take when i was a child.... im really disappointed ....

derango1's avatar

Guess Suede by Guess

I bought this as in impulse buy before I began to walk the dark path of scent addiction. I actually like this scent quite a bit. I don't get the mildew scent some of the other reviewers get nor do I get the comparison to Pi. It is a sweeter scent, but sexy and classy. I wear it for work mostly, but occasionally when out for a night on the town. I can't say any women have gone weak in the knees over it, but I've gotten compliments on it smelling nice. Which is about what I think of it. Is it synthetic? Sure. Does it smell good? Sure. Would I buy it again....probably.

bforthefall's avatar

Bois de Paradis by Delrae

I don't know if the fault lies with my nose or my skin, but this is hideous on me. Baby powder with camphor becomes tea rose and aluminum shavings. I can appreciate that it's well done however. Anyone who likes tea rose will probably love it.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I can really smell the pepper and a little leather, but also leaves a clean freshly scrubbed scent too. Got compliments on this one too, everyone can't quite place what the scents are but said it smelled great.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I really like the cinnamon, clove and spice notes when first sprayed on. As it dries more of the leather, musk and wood come through. Hours later I am left with a warm leather and spicy aroma. This is a really great scent and lasts quite a long time.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Citrus, vanilla, spice and some musk right out of the bottle. On the skin I get a warm ocean breeze smell, orange and spice. It doesn't last long, but this is a great lightweight scent.

's avatar

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

If I were to create a mixture containing Ten parts Chanel 19, Ten parts First, One part Estee, it would make Private Collection. I consider this fragrance almost too busy, however I love this genre. And it's a scent that I am always pleased to recognise on someone else.

I imagine Estee herself, in a massive, elegant, white-stone-tile sort of sixties mansion, wearing cream or beige, choosing her chypres of the sixties and seventies, always having to have that certain, same lingering effect... always having to be unmistakably Estee... And this one is probably the best of the bunch. Perfectly Unisex as well.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

WOW, I was NOT expecting this from the Latina queen. Its too soapy to think of anything sensual, or sexy, or flowery or anything else really.

It reminds me very much of sleeping over at my grandmothers as a child. She had no shower back then, and use this block of old soap nobody else in the world used anymore and than rub my skin untill the soap made these little bubbles. I keep sniffing 'Glow' now, but it just changes in a softer version of that same soap. And nothing else. I won't ever wear this again, why would any woman want to smell like old soap and vivid childhoodmemories?

Hot-diva-J.Lo's first perfume smells like sitting in my grandmothers iron tub... And I thought I'd seen it all.

Puma Woman by Puma

Puma Woman was launched when I was forteen, and I immediatelly fell in love... with the add. The add is a black and white picture of a woman who's armwrestling with a man who looks like he could have been a HA biker. He seems frustrated. She, a brunette, wearing a simple black top, her skin looks a bit damp and she looks into the camera with such intensity... She was everything I wanted to be.

So I walked into the store, and thought I would be dissapointed. Most perfumes back then didn't suit me and I am pretty picky. Plus; there aren't many perfumes that suit a stubborn 14-year-old girl who's likely to run out on all the boys in her class. In gymclass with wrestling/judo the teacher actually had to put me in a group with only boys. I was a bit rough. But can you imagen most fruity-floral-soft-girly-teeny scents on a girl like that? I couldn't either. Puma woman hit it dead on. Its a suble skin-type of a scent thats simple and it made me happy. I wore it pretty often. I guess if sporty, subtle and affordeble is what your looking for, you could give Puma Woman a try.

Nature by Yves Rocher

Ouf, I got this stuff accidently on my hand, I waited for a minute, but the smell didn't get better, so I ran over to the sink to wash Nature right off of me.

It smells like dirty old man with greasy hair! Its unbelieveble! Maybe my miniature was a bit old, though. Anyway, if you want to smell like nature, use something else.

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

My boyfriend came home, sniffed and put it like this: "Hmm, good if you just want to smell nice... but its not driving me wild."

I think thats right on spot. If you want to smell fresh, nice and a like a light warm summery bouquet of flowers without saying anything else; this is a good one. But I won't wear it. Why not?

It smells exactly like one of my mothers perfumes she wore for years, and when I wear perfume I want to feel more like me, and less like my mom. I think it was a Laura Ashley EdT, L'eau or No1, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm giving my Pure White Linen to her, she'll probably love it.

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

I actually like this perfume. Its not great, but pleasant. Its flowery and a bit fruity but still with a warm undertone. Its not bold or anything and it doesn't make a statement at all, it just smells nice. On my skin, there's nothing really wrong with it, which is why I gave it a thumbs up.

Boyfriend disagreed with that. He sniffed... and then sniffed louder to let me know he didn't like it. I have to admit, it IS really a fragrance thats 'twelve in a dozen.' (Dutch saying) There's a lot like this out there.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

I have sampled countless pretenders to Colonia's crown, and a few have even gained a glimpse of the summit - but nothing really gets close. It's far from perfect, its brevity alone would normally relegate it to the realms of an also ran, but what it does well, it does sublimely. The distinctly herbaceous opening, is initially given the bracing impetus of a citric escort, but is quickly allowed to shine in its own right. Lightly underscored by a benign rose presence, it really has the briefest of middle phases, but the focus has always been on the opening. I use this predominantly on warmer evenings when brevity is less of an issue, and I can luxuriate in the early evening glow of my delightful companion.

16 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2010)

mejensen1's avatar

Jovan Ginseng for Men by Jovan

I really liked this scent as it really did smell like 'sang, unlike NRG.

I found this website and forum because while listening to the audiobook version of "The Perfect Scent", I tried to recall a commercial scent i genuinely liked so "googled".

I have a few short stories related to this topic.

I was taking a nutrition class primarily taken by nursing majors even though I was a chemistry major, and a young women sitting next to me was wearing the original ginseng jovan scent. I was surprised, as I had found the scent maybe 10 years before and still had some of the tiny bottle. I also spent signficant amounts on the actual root. I looked for her in the future, but couldn't find her. Meditating on the event, I think she was the Prof's daughter!

The other flavor of Jovan I once owned was Monsiure (sp?). I am male. I was in my first grad class with a potential advisor. I was an MS student. I had a finger tap of the scent on my forehead as an after thought that morning. I sort of noticed it in the tiny seminar, and when thinking about it, a PhD student, female, started acting like she was having a chemical sensitivity attack. Women are more sensitive to smells than males, but I wonder if they also psych out males for insecurities about smells such as when I notice my stinky feet or armpits, or as in this case my insecurity with my scent choice.

The Japanese company Takasago had a US HQ in Walnut Creek my birthplace.The co is mentioned in the audiobook. I was at a new U. I was at a talk by a chem depart alumnae who worked for Tak., first talk in a credit class related to industry expereince. The school was an aggy school and had a flavors and fragrances department, though I wasn't part of it. I asked a few q's, but the speaker was immensly hostile to me even though I had a Japanese girlfriend and the above.

Didn't JOVAN sponsor a Rolling Stone's tour?

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I got this for Christmas the year it came out, smelling it now really takes me back! An instantly recognisable fragrance,very dark and vanillary. It'd probably be too strong for me to wear nowadays though.

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

I bought this and sold it on Ebay after giving it 2 days chance,didn't get on with it at all! A very strong fragrance which smelled predominantly of nutmeg (very Old Spice!). It lasts for ages too (which would've been fine if I'd liked it!)

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I initially liked this when I sprayed it on in the shop (I like violet scents), but have changed my mind since a friends girlfriend stayed over at my house wearing WAY too much of it and it gave me such a headache! It lingered round our house for about two days,proof of its staying power I guess...

Joboots's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I love this and have recently started wearing it. I think of it as similar to Opium and Coco, a lovely wintery evening perfume.

Joboots's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Just smelt sample of this in a magazine. I really like it - I agree with whoever said it was like Narciso Rodriguez For Her (which I love and wear). I find it quite remiscent of Dettol or the smell at the vet! But in a good way.