Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

StefanBlerim's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Simply brilliant. One for the youth; long lasting and not too expensive, certainly one of the best fragrances around in my opinion.

16 December, 2008

Hot by Benetton

Benetton usually delivers interesting and competant fragrances, but for Benetton Hot they have taken it a step farther into the “very good” territory. Hot isn’t hot but it is warm, pleasant, floral, spicy, and ambery. The flowers dominate in a bouquet-presentation with a standard jasmine note being most present to my nose; the spices (in this case, mostly from the rosewood) are held to a bare minimum; and the amber is very sweet. There’s little complexity involved, the accords are simple and straightforward and strike me as more feminine than not... although there is almost enough wood in the background to give a nod in the direction of unisex. Hot has a nice sillage and very good longevity on my skin. It’s quite good and a comfortable wear.

16 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

Omnia Amethyste is a floral / woody that is more floral than Omnia Crystalline. It opens with a light, airy green with pepper background and it’s both refreshing and elegant. The opening is followed by a spicy accord and a continuation of the pepper. These accords move quickly – and quickly bring on the floral accord lead by a delicate Bulgarian rose and powdery iris. The woods from the base rise up somewhere toward the beginning of the heart accord, so the overall effect of the heart and into the base is a powdery, woody, maybe even soapy feminine fragrance. I like the subtlety, softness and femininity very much but it has poor longevity.

16 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

Manipura: The Solar Plexus by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Manipura: The Solar Plexus. The Ten-petaled lotus: willpower… self esteem… ambition… astral force… assertiveness…

Manipura opens up assertively: It is spicy: a pepper note floating in a sea of tea and some bitter citrus. The citrus fades a bit and its place is slowly taken by more spice… this time its cinnamon that spices up the mixture, and between the pepper and cinnamon and then cloves and cardamom, the fragrance warms up considerably. The woods move in in the form of vetiver and rosewood (I think), which forms an interesting combination and I believe that there’s some saffron in there somewhere. Toward the base, some sweet moves in: I’m not sure what is responsible for the sweet, but it would not be a BPAL scent if some sweet didn’t show up here. The sweetness doesn’t dominate as it does in many other of their fragrances. The base is a bit aromatic, but it is essentially woody: Cedar mostly with an element of sandalwood and a suspicion of rosewood, I’m thinking. I love this kind of fragrance: A spicy opening and heart, and a wood drydown. Manipura is my favorite of the chakras (BPAL chakra scents, that is)…

The next chakra up from Manipura is Anahata: The Heart. To begin at the beginning of the chakra journey, start at the base – the Root, Muladhara.

16 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2010)

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I like cinnamon in desserts and I like the smell of cinnamon in fragrances, but apparently I don’t like to wear it. I own a bottle of JHL: I love it as a fragrance, but I seldom wear it. The first few times I tested Rousse, I thought that this is a cinnamon that I could live with and actually wear… I smelled a dull, dry, woody cinnamon that I thought was spectacular… one that was more wood than spice, and it was combined so elegantly with the other notes in the opening: nutmeg, and cedar. But lately, each time I’ve worn it, I’ve gotten the cinnamon candy thing… sweet shallow cinnamon, and when the sweet disappears in fifteen minutes, I don’t get that rich dry cinnamon that I loved so much, I get semi-cinnamon boredom and not much else. I don’t even get that sweat note that I smelled during the first few times I wore it. Bummer. And as to my feelings about the fragrance now… I dearly miss the fragrance I smelled at first. As others have said, Rousse is linear. Rouse has good projection and longevity.

16 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2012)

Indie_Guy's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I like this. I don't know if it's the same fragrance as A*Men Summer Flash, but it at least strikes me as similar. I thought I got a little more cotton candy when I tested Summer Flash, and this seems to be mostly about patchouli.

Yes, I look at Ice*Men as primary a patchouli scent. Reminds me of the earthy patchouli grit of Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but this one is cool instead of warm. ZZ Top mentioned a "tinny" quality and I get that too, though I don't find it to be a bad thing. There's something of an unresolved suspension in this scent. You do expect at some point during the drydown that the whole thing will resolve to something warm or something cool. Nope, it keeps walking that tightrope all the way to the end. Cold patchouli. Crisp. Unusual.

The bottle is so rad.

JaimeB's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

One of my all-time favorites. Balanced, classic, well-blended, and above all, engaging to those around me. When I wear this to work, people always remark favorably about it. My supervisor has followed me around sniffing my sillage as we went. She's a real fan of this scent now, although she didn't know it before she first smelled it on me. To take a slightly more analytical approach, let me say that lavender, rosewood, and clary sage make a beautiful opening accord; the muscatel note of the clary sage does wonders for the marriage of the other two. The florals in the middle notes are also a classic accord of rose, jasmine, and geranium, but with an extraordinary lily of the valley note which lifts them into something far less predictable. Coumarin, woods, and vanilla in the base make a gracious underpinning for the notes above, and just enough patchouli rounds out the whole quite elegantly. One word to sum it up? Intoxicating.

LiveJazz's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I friend of mine once owned this. I now have a sample. I must say that I like it. It's one of those scents where you can complain all you like about how its linear, it isn't terribly unexpected, it doesn't have a standout ingredient, etc. But...it smells great. Wonderful. You have to give it that. It doesn't last long and it doesn't have astounding projection, but while its there, it is outstanding. Nose glued to wrist.

I don't hold its lack of complexity against Armani. This is a designer scent. It is meant to smell great and appeal to the masses. It does both of those things, and manages not to make a mockery of itself in the process. I say bravo to Armani on this one!

Francois Blais's avatar

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

For those concerned, the comparison has been made with YSL pour homme (original, red packaging), not the newer L'homme YSL, which is indeed very different.

There's some Annick Goutal flavor in this scent, to my nose.
    Excellent!

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Andy Tauer has created some of my favourite fragrances but also a few I frankly can't stand. Vetiver dance unfortunately belongs to the latter category, despite my weakness for vetiver scents. I don't get much vetiver from this, and if I do, it's an extremely rooty vetiver, rooty without being moist and earthy, rooty in a dusty dry way. If this scent had a colour it would be grey, with perhaps a hint of poisonous green. It smells as though someone cut a bunch of poisonous herbs and mixed them with cold ash and soap flakes. It starts strong, extremely dry and poisonous, and mellows to a cool, soapy scent with an unpleasant, green sharpness and without the slightest hint of sweetness or warmth. I realise scent is a matter of taste but I just can't imagine anyone spontaneously liking this scent, finding it pleasant or wanting to smell like it. And I'd happily wear Profumum's Fumidus! Vetiver dance might qualify as "interesting", as a piece of olfactory art, but it's just too dead and cold to wear, in my opinion. I don't get the name at all, "dance" calls to mind something lively and cheerful but like Jemimagold said this is a frankly depressing scent.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

I suppose this is the Comme des Garcons creation. My notes include "violet leaf" and "meteorite" too.

This is an exceedingly cold and metallic violet fragrance, more like a typical iris/orris fragrance than a typical sweet and powdery violet. It has that damp, dark cold of iris scents but feels "unnatural" as opposed to rooty or earthy - there's a sort of carrot-like accord in it but it's like a very clean and abstract carrot. I might get a hint of the "meteorite" and "magma" beside the metallic note that seems to be inherent in the violet, something a little sour/tangy/mineralic that reminds me slightly of the sickening Cire Trudon candle "Odeur de lune". It's very Comme des Garcons with its cold, synthetic, edgy notes. I just don't happen to appreciate cold, metallic iris and violet scents at all but I can see how this might appeal to someone else.

fraddicted's avatar

Insensé by Givenchy

Are you out of your mind! Love this one. Bought it blind due to reviews here on BN and have not looked back. As with all my collection, I don't wear it that often so I am able to really enjoy it when worn. Love the opening blast and middle notes and find it lasts quite well for me. I usually put on fragrance before I dress and add a "touch up" if I go out for the evening and have never found Insense to be too much. It actually reminds me somewhat of the dry down on Platinum Egoiste.

fraddicted's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Distinctive and classic. Have had MdG in my wardrobe intermitantly since I was in my early 20's and still go back for a "smash" every so often! Love the way the lavender tones the citrus and, along with the oakmoss, holds the formula together in such wonderful balance. Since I don't wear it that often, I haven't developed olfactory fatigue to this marvel and it lasts quite a while on my skin. Put it on as my SOTD about 9:00 am and it is still going strong now at about 3:00pm. Really like this one!

TaoLady's avatar

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Wow! The first whiff was almost unpleasant - an unlikely combination of citrus and smoke...raw smoke, not gentle burning leaves smoke. Then it turned oceanic and then it turned herbal and green - and then it morphed into "Tatiana and the faeries" floral. I tend to devastate naturals but this one has lasted pretty well.

EVERYONE should have at least a sniff of this amazing scent.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Paco Energy by Paco Rabanne

THe original plus grapefruit, smelled like tangerine to me. This is nice, I like it better than the 'dirty-CK One' smelling original Paco. It's not for everyone, but it is nice.

scentaddiction's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a smoky fougere that is a take it or leave it fragrance. I love it, but it will clear a room if more than two sprays are used. There is no mistaking its scent, and you will stand out. I love it, all in moderation though. Very linear, do not expect much evolution other than your own funk popping up around it, it will not change.

beltz's avatar

Vanille Absolu by Montale

I love wearing this. It has good sillage and it smells intoxicating. It's a "humid vanilla" instead of dry, and it does smell a bit medicinal, but I soon fell in love with it when I actually wore it for a few hours. You will smell it on yourself when worn on the neck or chest so it is a fun fragrance to wear for your own pleasure. Note that at first, it reminded me of a popular lip balm which is why it seems medicinal. If upon applying it you notice that too, don't worry, after an hour or so worn on yourself, you will forget that association and love it.

Hobbes's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Thumbs way up on this one.

This scent and its brother (Eau D'Orange Verte) got me hooked on citruses. Before they entered my life, I was a heavy oriental + vanilla only type of guy.

I love the orange note at the beginning, not as fruity as I would have liked, but it's fine.

A+ from me!

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Over the freaking top fruity candy floral. I guess that's typically what girls are supposed to smell like? Other than being freaking sweet, there are some interesting note in here. There's a bitter citrus note wafting around, a chocolatey floral accord and did I mention it was freaking creamy? Good, trashy fun.

L by Lolita Lempicka

Woody orange vanilla with cinnamon. Hell, I'd wear this! Just a tad too sweet but that's how Lempicka's fragrances ar. It's a good kind of sweet, though. Very smooth.

Summer Night by Canali

I knew the pyramid when I received this but I had long forgotten most of it. I smelled Summer Night for the first time and I completely forgot about the pyramid. Iris. A sweet, powdery iris. For summer (I suppose). Like a Dior Homme "Lite" with more florals. Love it! Lacks a bit in longevity but most summer fragrances do.

stellamaris's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Heavy, clinging, headache inducing, doesn't change or develop until washed off. I have smelled it smelling OK on other people.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I must be honest and say that the first time that I smelled Dior Homme, I didn’t like it. I’d sprayed it on a tester card, diorhomme1and thought it smelled of nothing but wet card and talcum powder. I discarded the card and didn’t bother looking at it again. I’m so pleased that I went about sampling other fragrances, especially those that contain Iris, because once I returned to Dior Homme 2 years later, I fell head over heels in love with it. So to anyone sampling fragrance, I want to tell you this: tester cards tell lies about fragrances. Dior Homme needs to be tried on the skin. Also, I don’t understand where the association with lipstick or makeup bags came from. It doesn’t smell remotely makeup bag-like. Dior Homme is a compliment monster.

I sprayed Dior Homme on this morning and am immediately reminded of why I love it: today, a very cold and crisp Winter day, it smells lightly Citrus and Chocolatey (Bergamot and Cocoa). When I spray it on in the middle of summer, it smells more Aromatic, (this must be the Sage and Lavender) and slightly powdered and dry (Iris). What happens quite quickly is that Iris heads centre stage and coats everything with it’s dry, talcum powdery scent, and the top notes take a backseat while this happens - they are still there, but just watching before they head on home. Amber usually makes fragrances warmer, but I think Dior Homme remains suitably cool when Amber should be making it’s presence known.

As the fragrance hits it’s drydown, it turns from powdery Iris to a soft Leather jacket, followed by a sweet musky Patchouli and slightly smoky Tobacco. Don’t be concerned - this Patchouli is not in drag like Midnight Poison - it’s very soft and pleasant. Dior Homme is a true gentleman in all his guises.

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

The first impression of Dior Homme Cologne is that it is very citrus-y. This is not unusual for a Cologne. The Citrus note is quite bright though, almost as though a lemon has been freshly squeezed out of the bottle for you.

The great player of Dior Homme, Iris, also makes a wonderful play here in Cologne. It’s a pleasing twist on the original Cologne theme. The Iris note here is made warmer, and more powdery, almost as though another great powdery floral, Helitrope, has been added. Heliotrope reminds me of Ghost Sweetheart, a sticky-sweet powdery-floral feminine. But Tangerine and Orange Blossom both follow the Iris into the heartnoes, and sweeten it somewhat, reminding me of one of the many faces of Guerlain’s beautiful Cologne du 68.

The drydown is again, a very soft Leather, with Iris.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Dior Homme Intense is the Gourmand of the series, immediately sweeter than the original Dior Homme. It most certainly gives the most impressive sillage and longevity, and catches more attention than the other Dior Homme fragrances, so is probably best suited for a clubbing fragrance.

When I first spray Intense, I smell warm, almost molten Chocolate. Iris (the soft, powdery floral note that caused so much stir when the original Dior Homme was launched) appears after the initial blast wears away, and transforms the fragrance into a powdered Chocolate scent.diorhommeintense

As the fragrance progresses, I catch a very strong sweet note appearing. This is reminiscent of M7, but it is certainly not Oud. After a little digging around the internet for the notes, I found out that this is caused by Ambrette (also known as Hibiscus seed). Ambrette seeds, if you’ve never smelled them, are used in the place of ingredients like Civet (a secretion from a cats glands), and are slightly musky and animal smelling, but also lightly fruity and sweet.

There is something Leathery and a Smoky Tobacco note in Intense, but it is hidden by much of the sweetness.

bamacharm's avatar

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

I like Intimately Beckham so I thought I would try Signature. The first thing that came to my mind was CK Eternity. Low and behold they both share that same mandarin top note. I don't know what the "Green Botanics" are in Eternity but I bet it is very close if not the same as the "Marine Notes" in Signature. To my disappointment, I smelled no watermelon at all unless it is one that has yet to ripen. I can't tell what the progression to middle and base notes is like. It all seemed to disappear in less than two hours. I don't want to shoot this down because it may just be my body chemistry. So, I'll just sit on the fence with a neutral rating.

Tony T's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

a very rich blend of simple notes such as cinnamon bark, tonka,apples and others that pleases the nose. a comfort scent that yet appeals to others as well as the wearer.definately the best bang for the buck as it has a drug store price tag. a sweet and fruity powdery scent comparable to dior homme but no iris. a definate masterpiece that will always have a place on my shelf.

twinpeaker's avatar

MoslBuddJewChristHinDao (Unifaith) by Elternhaus

I think this is beautiful, transparent, atmospheric, a little weird, definitely goes into "work of art" category for me. Then again, I love Mark Buxton's creations. To me, this is most similar to Monocle Scent One: Hinoki -- has the same Japanese cedar, white incense accord. My concern with the price is that it should have better longevity for $300. Perhaps if they spent less on the packaging (a block of concrete....). A keeper.

tanto's avatar

Babe by Fabergé

There was nothing "ultra" or complex to Babe BUT it was a very pleasing scent. Some of my female friends in school wore it. I found it to be "sexy" in its own way. It was a 70's "turn on" scent for guys to enjoy. Soapy, fresh, and clean !

tanto's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

Back in 1965, this was the "in" cologne for guys to wear especially in NYC. He could get almost any "chick" he wanted as long as he had on Brut. This stuff did something to the girls. They would go crazy over the smell of Brut especially when it was mixed with a little bit of his own perspiration. Remember, back then there were just deodorants, anti-perspirants didn't come out on the market until 1970. These gals would go nuts over any guy who had on Brut. It was like an aphrodisiac to them. I remember it so well and I can honestly say that there has never been another mens fragrance since Brut that could "turn on" a woman in the same way. What it is, I don't know BUT the fragrance is clean, manly, and pleasing.