Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

MsElleEmme's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs Eau Légère by Cacharel

Honey, powdery and warm - like the nectar of a native Australian flower. This reminds me of something from my childhood that I can't quite pinpoint. It doesn't remind me at all of the original Anais Anais. It's something completey different. I love it!

Perfume Junkie's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

Emeraude is on my top 5 most loathed smells ever invented. Why they still make this toxic brew is beyond me. It's funny, I was talking to a cab driver and she named all of my most hated smells as her favorites, and Emeraude was at the top -- along with Shalimar, Poison, Tabu (TABU!) and Angel. There are more, but those are the worst!:)

el comondante's avatar

PS by Paul Sebastian

This stuff is vile. Sprayed a bit of it on my wrist and after a couple of minutes i had to scrub it of with soap and hot water.It gave me a headache. Gave it to the old fella for xmas. He'll wear it to the pub and will probably be barred.

nukinthenorth's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

Ooh, I still have half a bottle of this! Very different from what I'd usually wear - I absolutely agree with the 'cola bottles' comment. Spicy and exciting, very warm and quite loud. Cinnamon hints and a sense of humour! Dark and pacy.

owengreene's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

When i was little, I used to get my hair cut in an old fashioned barber shop. I think he must of worn this during one of the buzz cuts he gave me.

It's has some similarities to old spice, the kind of newer ozonic high endurance variety. The old-old spice. Specifically the deodorant from the early 80's- minus the propylene glycol. Maybe a bit

When you first spray it on, it's full on lavender, but not lavender oil or flower. It's the spicy edge of lavender balanced out by the sweetness of anise. It's a very dry sweet.

Then some eugenol (a scent that clove and cinnamon have in common) peers through and holds the two together. Add in some lemon peel, just a smidge. Like the dried lemon peel that you can buy for baking. Not a juicy lemon slice. It stays here for a few good hours.

Right now I'm smelling it on a wool sweater over a day after, it smells masculine trustable and like it really knew who ronald reagan was.

I prefer to mark it neutral for the fact that something about this fragrance disturbs me. It's good, but I'm not sure if it's me.

persimon's avatar

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

This is with the grain of salt that when a scent goes wrong on me, it goes REALLY wrong. The opening was like a sweet peach chardonnay with some fizz -- very pretty -- and then the train wreck happend. It went rank and smelled of dirty rubber gloves and kept descending. The smell was sour with a whiff of chlorine. It was not a fermented sour smell, rather a slight body-sour smell.

sadieprater's avatar

Laura Ashley No. 1 (original) by Laura Ashley

This was my signature fragrance for years. Romantic and very clean. Almost a hint of soap when first applied and then tons of floral on the skin. Fresh with only a very slightly green sense. The only thing that I have smelled that was somewhat similar is Waterford's Lismore, but Lismore smells much softer, less boldly English garden.

sadieprater's avatar

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I can't make my mind up on this one. I used to love it, I think the bottle is exquisite, but honestly it smells kind of like church to me. Which can be nice, but...It has lost it's appeal over the years.

tlipping's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I like to make statements with my scents and this is kinda the inverse. To this point, Vetiver was about as 'background' as I have gone and I was a little wary of investing in a scent that sits so far back. But I must admit, I like it. Not adore or cherish, but I find myself applying it frequently. I've also gotten some good reviews from the women in my life who don't always fancy my more strongly characteristic fragrances. Pretty good for my first dumb blond.

bakhmet's avatar

Vetyver by L'Occitane

A lovely dark and smoky vetyver. Definitely stays closer to the skin, and not as in your face as Guerlain's. I am a fan of both, but I would not substitute one for the other as to my nose, they are very different. The word "austere" and "mature" has been used in previous reviews and I would agree that this is the feeling that I get from it. It definitely puts me into a more contemplative mood. It also doesn't last as long as I would like (just 2-3 hours) so it only loses points there. Decent price though.

ComDiva's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Tom Ford White Patchouli is a weird one on me... At first I thought I was in love, then it quickly became medicinal, and the white flowers/jasmine that hates my skin chemistry made an unfortunately persistent appearance. But thorughout the drydown I also get these wonderful whiffs of incense, and *clean* patchouli, and then the medicinal/camphorous element (also the patchouli, I think) is a nice contrast. Hmmmm. This is very interesting! But I'm just not sure I smell _good_ in White Patchouli, which is generally my goal with perfume.

White Patchouli notes: Peony, Mandarin, Bergamot, Jasmine, Rose Absolute, Coriander, Ambrette Seed, Sandalwood, Incense, Golden Amber. And, of course, patchouli.
    __________________

JaimeB's avatar

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

A spice-laden juice that has more of the oriental or aromatic fougère about it than any other genre (because of the tonka bean in the base, I guess).The top is largely citrus with a good dose of anise, the heart a warm and unusual accord of cinnamon and ginger, and in the base quite a pronounced woody air with sandalwood, cedarwood, vetiver, and patchouli. Except for the absence of floral notes, the Essence version of Must pour Homme seems recall the feminine version rather than the other masculine offering. This strikes me as a cool-to-cold weather scent, primarily because of the hearty spice accords, and at the same time it seems to suggest an evening or slightly more formal context than the plain Must pour Homme. The longevity and sillage are fairly tenacious, and the development, while somewhat limited, does tend to play out to a woodier place than where it starts. I find this very pleasant, a bit bracing and energizing, and an overall good thing. Kudos to Cartier for this!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Toasted hazelnuts, caramel and licorice open this stunning gourmand with flair! Not too sweet either. Enticing and amazing, just can't help but snorfle my wrist! Soon after these sweets have tickled my palate, the warmth and smokiness of incense & spice slowly come forth. Underlying is a constant wafting of balsam, keeping balance with vetiver and 'dried grass' accord. If ever there was a scent offering "tidings of comfort and joy" - this is it! Clever, well crafted, bottle-worthy!

odysseusm's avatar

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

I'll put my cards on the table upfront. I really don't like amber! However, I will do my best to objectively report on this scent.
    I find this to be very sweet, rather buttery syrup of a scent. It is amber-laden. I don't find anything remotely dry or resinous about it, it is certainly quite unlike the magnificent Bois D'Encens which is a great dry-resinous scent. The spices are just a spicy and rather vague melange rather than distinct elements. The patchouli tang is apparent. I can't see any connection to L'Eau Trois, other than that the two scents are powerful.
    I can't even give this a neutral rating, but I have attempted to describe it carefully. Amber fans, give it a try.

atrac's avatar

Corvette Red by Corvette

I sampled it this evening and found it to be a slightly woody version of CK One. Not much else to say about it. Not very original.

jdnba's avatar

Patchouli by Demeter Fragrance Library

just bought this one at marshalls for 7 bucks and i really like it...it does smell like dirt when immediately sprayed but when it warms up on you...it smells like the gent stated above...patchouli oil, raw and un fooled around with...i love it...very masculine and earthy, imho.

chengfun's avatar

Fragonard by Fragonard

I bought the parfum unsniffed. On first trying it, it reminded me of Anais Anais and also Madison Soiree. It shares some notes with both. It's a pretty girly floral fragrance. However, it is also perfumey and aldehydic, which I'm not very keen on. So I'm regretting this blind buy, luckily it's not very expensive.

runstile's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I tested both the EDC and EDT. I wasn't too fond of the EDC, it was a little too powdery. However, the EDT on my wrist was amazing. At first, it was a little too feminine, it might have been the powdery iris heart, but once the base came through, it was amazing! The ambery dry down persisted 24 hours on my skin and was heavenly. I finally see what everyone is talking about.

jathanas's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ambre Sultan is a definitive fragrance. I'm currently on an amber journey of exploration and it is my reference point for amber.
    The spicy and resinous opening is powerful but not sharp. I get oregano and balsamic accords in the top notes. The first 10 minutes might be the most challenging for some, as it really does start with a certain intensity! To judge AS only on the opening is to miss the most impressive development.
    As it evolves on my skin the woody accord (cedar?) arrives and it smooths out the sweet amber. The heart of Ambre Sultan is so well blended, it has a deep and complex structure that I find calming. The longevity is befitting of such a high caliber fragrance, excellent!
    To finish it would be remiss of me not to mention that it is big compliment getter.

Worth1969's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

As much as I want to hate this cologne, I can't. There's something uniquely alluring about this scent, even though it smells very synthetic and pretty cheaply made (let's face it, it's Claiborne). Truth be told, though, it's very nice on the skin, fresh, green, and very sensous. It's a bit alcoholy for the first few minutes, but the smell is appealing all the way through! This fragrance works on just about everybody and I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten using this cologne. Now, mind you, this is not even my style, I much
    prefer Chanel Platinum. but for a mainstream light, fresh scent, this is surprisingly good. Keep in mind, though, that everyone and their little brother already has done this to death so if you're looking to stand out in a crowd don't even bother with Curve. As common as this is, the thumbs still have to go up.

Worth1969's avatar

Echo by Davidoff

The design of the bottle calls for a much higher quality brew than you're actually getting here. Echo smells like many other fresh, sporty scents such as Calvin Klein's Crave or Curve Crush. Highly unoriginal. Not unpleasant, though, just not recommended for anyone who appreciates a well-crafted scent like Versace L'Homme. This can be worn as a casual scent for someone who doesn't want to stand out - just wants to smell clean.
    Don't expect too much else.

luneverte's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Perles de Lalique by Lalique

A beautiful modern Chypre with an aura of its own. The dried down is just wonderfuly sweet. I feel wrapped in a soft blanket... It remind me of the dermophil Indien.

Gblue's avatar

Vivacious by Kelly Brook

Yuk Yuk Yuk!!
    A horrendous cloying lollywater. It's TOO sweet. It smells of raspberry jam and not much else.

02 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2009)

Gblue's avatar

Bouquet d'Orient by Girard

When it's first sprayed, it smells like very old fashioned talc.
    But when it warms up, the base is a wonderful light vanilla and amber-y scent with great projection.
    The problem is that it takes a long time for powerful the talc-note to disappear.

Bigsly's avatar

Chaleur d'Animale pour Homme by Animale Parfums

As has been said, this starts off sharp green and a bit "soapy." Within an hour or two it softens up and becomes a "skin musk" type of frag (depends upon how much you use). It doesn't have a "cheap drugstore" smell to me, just very sharp. I really don't like "green" frags and I hate the geranium/sandalwood combination, as is the case here, so it's hard for me to say how this compares to other, similar frags, because I try to avoid them. For the price, though, it seems to be a good buy for those who seek this kind of frag and want to keep the costs down. I guess the chain connected to it is a "conversation piece," at no extra charge. LOL.

tanto's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Too much orange blossom in this fragrance. Smells very much like Kouros (but not as nice). Some of the dept stores in NYC and the surrounding area have already returned this fragrance back to the vendor. The only nice thing about it is the great looking "Le Male" bottle design in white. Other than that, this is a real, true FLOP !!

tanto's avatar

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

Just smelled this today for the first time. It was on a young lady in my office. I like it. It's sexy, fresh, floral, and "upbeat". Ideal for a young career woman. As Gblue said in her review, "it's a fun fragrance" and it really is. As a youthful middle-aged guy, I think the "fresh" notes in Ma Dame are a real TURN ON. Ladies, try it !!

Ronin's avatar

Geir by Geir Ness

This one is powdery, sweet, mysterious and sexy. I even detect some booziness which adds to its mysterious presence. This is also really potent when I sprayed on the back of the hand and it lasted for hours and I could still detect it after washing my hand a few times. I may test this one out one more time just to be sure if it's as good as I first thought. This is no doubt a quality fragrance. I imagine this to be most perfect for the fall/winter season but it can definitely be used all year.

JonB's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

After several wearings, I have become quite enamored of this scent. So much so that I bought a bottle. A dry amber that gradually becomes amber+incense. Very nice.

02 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2009)

Max1mu51's avatar

Noir by Christian Lacroix

I'm sure people may beat me this post. But, this a great alternative to versace black jeans. You've got a great clean scent, certainly manly, nice soft wood undertones, and there's something something in this that has that same leather like qualities. It must be the ginger and iris/orris playing tricks again. I prefer this this one to black jeans as it is somewhat pointed and hollow. Noir is more rounded, playful, and refined. Great scent but it's lacking on sillage and longenvity.

-MAX