Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

tanto's avatar

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

Despite so many of the negative reviews, I liked this. When it first was launched at Macy's in NYC back in September '89, it was different. There was a clean note to it. Many guys purchased it and really enjoyed wearing it, too. Infact, I was able to get my "last" bottle of it at Marshall's this past April ('08). Who knows, maybe someday they'll bring it back.

bbBD's avatar

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

This big belly button is a sweet take on patchouli reminiscent of Parfumerie Generale's Intigrant Patchouli, but with the volume turned down by about 50%. The patchouli is citrus-sweetened and lasts a long time - through the heart - without much development. The base releases some of the sweetness, seemingly because opoponax balances out the sweetness of the citrus and ambrette. I personally enjoy earthier takes on patchouli, and within the ELO line Je Suis un Homme contains a dirtier patchouli/leather accord that I enjoy much more.

Still, this is a fine composition and but for Intigrant Patchouli this would be a very unique patchouli fragrance. Totally unisex and long lasting, Nombril Immense is worthy of sampling by patchouli fans.

Crystal Tips's avatar

England England

No. 5 by Chanel

As this is such an iconic fragrance I tried it in my twenties, but it didn't appeal to me. Then in my mid-twenties, a friend gave me an EdT splash, a large bottle, and although I wore it and tried to like it, the fragrance and my olfactory senses were not compatible so I gave it to my mother.
    Before my husband and I were married, he came out to join me on holiday in Lindos, Rhodes and in the airport duty free shop debated which fragrance to buy me. He was advised to buy Chanel No. 5 as "it's a classic". He didn't think it was quite me and always felt that way until today. I was recently given a sample of No.5 eau Premiere and I liked it, but it made me want to try the original. So this afternoon I tried No.5 EdP on my left wrist and No.5 eau Premiere on my right then I did the Pepsi test on my husband. Initially he preferred the Eau Premiere, but as time wore on and we had walked outside of the mall I asked him to try them again and he & I both preferred the orginal Chanel No.5.
    There's nothing more I can add to what's already been written about Chanel No.5, it is indeed something I could wear continuously, it's a fragrance that can be worn whatever the weather / season / occasion. On my skin it eventually turns warm and spicy,but as I sniff closer to my wrist there's a hint of green that creeps to the front and grows stronger as I inhale - this is the same scent that is more prevalent in the Eau Premiere.

Anyway, on my 36th birthday I finally fell in love with Chanel No.5, long may it last!

BlackCat's avatar

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

The gardenia note is nice (albeit a bit thin) and surprisingly long-lasting, but it was accompanied by a prominent melon note. I'm not a fan of melon notes (hence the neutral thumb), but if you're O.K. with it, you might enjoy this as an easy-wearing floral.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

To me, Canali is a simple refined cologne. Compared to other fragrances, it is quite synthetic. This scent reminds me of Ferrari Black but a tad-bit smoother and refined. I get a somewhat spicy-geranium, which mimics a floral rose character but without the creamy, dewiness slant. The top note is were the geranium is most prominent, then segueing into the middle note, Canali starts turning ho-hum...a very powdery (a seemingly synthetic powder at that) accord. As the dry-down appears, the powdery aspect seems to intensify slightly with a tinge of mellow sweetness. It is this dry-down period that seems to ruin a higher rating.

The sillage is moderate and the longevity is a little better than most. Canali wears close to the skin with a slightly bolder presence.

This is a very wearable cologne, especially for work, under a nice sweater, or an evening out.

Would I recommend this cologne, no more than any other out there, but this is a nice, simple, refined fragrance if you want something unobtrusive, inoffensive and classy.

Lightbringer's avatar

Amouage Homage by Amouage

Most rose fragrances come away fairly dark and heavy, like C&S's No. 88 or most of Amouage's other offerings. Other times, the inclusion of Damascone causes what Turin describes as a "cooked" smell, like rose jam, found in Killian's Liasons Dangerous.

I am glad to report that Homage is neither. The rose is apparent right from the beginning, but this is a different rose, lighter, clearer, and majestic. It is not quite like a freshly crushed rose, but it lacks the dark intensity of many other rose fragrances, instead a constant clear whistle, perfect in mid-pitch. The frankincense is also apparently from the top notes. It starts a little acrid, a little sharp almost, but quickly mellows to smoothness. There may be some oud or citrus, but if they are there, they are so well blended that I cannot pick them out, instead acting as complements to the rose and frankincense to lift them up and give them lightness and complexity.

As this is a perfume oil, the top and mid notes are virtually nonexistent. You basically hit the dry-down right away, and it is wonderful (no alcohol to burn off, etc etc). Instant gratification.

I will say this much -- this rose is unique. It is sweet, yes, but not syrupy. It is not "butched up" with a whole lot of woods or spices, as with some of amouage's male offerings, but somehow the ingredients feel clear and crisp enough to be unisex. If you stand some amount of sweetness, this is a fantastic fragrance for guys.

The fragrance lasts, I find, reasonably long, but have not tested this aspect significantly. Siliage is pretty good. I wouldn't call it "godzilla" siliage, but it's nothing to scoff at either. An easy foot-long "aura" is projected with a couple dabs (which is all you really need).

That said, it is costly. Sample before you buy, because a mistake is going to hurt your wallet a lot.

5 Stars

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

What a wonderful scent! When I first sprayed it, I smelled peppermint. Then it dried down to a warm, rich, lovely scent that had a hint of sweetness. The notes that stand out to me are musk and bergamot (i can not pinpoint what gives it the hint of sweetness). On me. "The Beat" remained consistent throught the day, there were no changes from the base, middle, or top notes.

It is playful but sophisticated and it smells like pure luxury. The bottle is unique and so is this scent. This is a scent can be worn everyday to the office or on a special occasion. I think that women of all ages could pull this one off, just as long as it mixes well with their chemistry. This is another great scent from Burberry.

's avatar

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

I used to buy this to scent my home, especially my bath. I recall many people commenting, upon entering my space, about the lovely smell of my home. I always attributed it to this scent. Funny, I never wore it but in retrospect, I see that I valued it greatly nonetheless. As I write this, I really miss this one. Maybe I will find some.

Lily from the Forest's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

At first I couldn't make up my mind about the smell, it reminded me of candy. But after a minute or 5 it smells the way its going to smell for hours. (At least it lasts) Ange ou Demon smells to me like two things. On the one hand, it smells like something my grandmother would put in het cake. She used to have a little bottle with aroma for baking? Thats what I mean. On the other hand, it also smells like her old white powder.

Without telling my thoughts, I asked Boyfriend what the smell reminded him off. He took his time sniffing and then said: "Cake-flower! The stuff you use to bake a cake? Thats what it smells like." Appearently his mom used the same stuff. Maybe the Dutch ingredients for home made cake are different from the rest of the world, but I doubt it. I'm sorry, but there's no angel, nor a devil in cheap cake-aroma with a powdery drydown. (Soft, old-Powdery-Vanilla fans, this is all yours)

Personally, I wouldn't want to be found dead wearing Givenchy's Ange ou Demon. I SO expected more when I saw the mysterious blonde in the white dress reveal her black lace mask. And the bottle is so gorgeous! This scent is a real dissapointment.

Lily from the Forest's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

Mmmmm, this is fresh and fruity, but dries up warm. I thinkt this is a very pleasant smell! Not heavy, not offensive but really good when you want to smell fresh. Also good for summers. It doesn't last very long (EdT), but it does make me feel happy. Very well done.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I really tried to like this, but it is just a little too coy for my taste. The top note promised much, but faded almost instantly into the kind of fragrance I can get from a deodorant. There may be a place for this after an evening shower and a late night assignation somewhere in the summer, but it lacks the cajones to make this worthy of regular use.

esquirol's avatar

Choc by Pierre Cardin

I haven't smelled Choc for 2 decades and yet when I sniffed Knize Sec it all came back to me.
    First there is a waft of mango, exotic fruit, very ripe and sunny, then it darkens and gets edgy and rough, raspy, deep and strange. The basenotes are heavy: if I remember well, patchouli and amber.
    The sillage was wonderful and everlasting; it even stayed in my memory during all these years.
    I remember smelling it on a friend and wearing it afterwards. She drove a Datsun Cherry (which she tended herself) and was a chain smoker, cute as a doll, smart and reckless.
    Like Choc.
    This scent is a stunner, and so loveable.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Antonia's Flowers by Antonia's Flowers

I sniffed this on another woman first. I felt a flashback to licking the ends of honeysuckles as a child, and I simultaneously felt the euphoric rush of falling in love in spring. It's glorious!!!

TarikB's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I'm bemused. You say it's long long long lasting. The reality is more in line with the other reviewers. Within an hour or two the scent is almost gone, and there is certainly no sillage. The very forward bright citrus with a hint of woodiness underneath is suprisingly alluring, but you will have to get very close to the wearer to experience it.

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

I am so picky about fragrance. I have lived in the same city for most of my life and know many people. I have been around the so called "in crowd" for years including top political people, some celebrities and the ones with money and power. I say this to let you know I have been around people who could afford the best of everything and although I am not wealthy, I have observed the habits, dress, beauty products used, etc by these women. Funny thing though, so many of them have copied my dress, jewelry, makeup and perfume preferences and come to me for advice on it, where I bought it what it is. Truth is I am more into inner beauty. I am certainly not the beauty of my younger years and no longer am obsessed with clothing (what a waste of money that was!) and perfectly applied make-up but I try to never leave the house without my favorite jewelry pieces, mascara (and I can do without that with sunglasses), long lasting lipstick, a smile and MACKIE! I can honestly say I have never in my life had as many comments on anything, even expensive, beautiful jewelry pieces I have worn than I have on my fragrance of choice. People, women and men, have literally followed me and come up and asked me what perfume I am wearing everywhere I go. When I dated, men went "nuts" over it. I have had two men who actually knew I was wearing MACKIE and came up to me and commented on it, which surprised me as men don't typically know these things and MACKIE still seems to be a well kept secret, which I still can't believe. I have worn it for over 13 years now. I buy other well reviewed fragrances now and then for a change and to see if there is anything I like as well or better than Mackie. The pretty bottles sit almost full on my perfume tray. When I wore the others I never received, and I am not lying, one comment from anyone during those 13 years. None of them have the " Mackie affect". I feel pretty when I wear it and so alive. It does not fade out three hours after I put it on and lasts all day. I would suggest if you want to try a new fragrance try this one. It has a stronger scent in the bottle and on a card but just give it a few minutes on your skin to settle down and you will love it. If anyone who has worn and loved Mackie out there and has found another fragrance they also love, I would like to know what it is, for a change - but for only for every now and then. Blessings!

Poison by Christian Dior

I loved tis fragrance and purchased it from NM when it first came out. My 13 years younger long term boyfriend at the time went so crazy over it. He was a gorgeous songwriter, singer, musician, carpenter, chemical engineer. He wrote a song about me called "The little girl in you"(Never published commercially but recorded) ...so much for the what some call "old lady perfume! "! The perfume he referred to in this song was Poison. After awhile I became a little tired of it because all my girlfriends started wearing it. I eventually found it a little too sweet and overpowering for me. One girlfriend still wears it and nothing else. She still gets compliments. I went on to the MACKIE which I have never been able to get away from as it is the most fabulous perfume I have ever encountered. It still causes men as well as women to follow me and ask me what I am wearing... BUT still have sweet memories of my Poison days!!!

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Thumbs up is for true,original Giorgio. I was in California in the later 70's. My boyfriend at the time bought me Giorgio perfume at their boutique on Rodeo Drive. I was with him at the time. This was before the launch of their fragrance Giorgio in the 80's. (81?). It was the most fabulous fragrance. Everyone asked what I was wearing. I went to so many special events back then and treasured it and saved it for those occasions. I was so excited when it was introduced in the 80's and purchased it thinking it was the same as the one I had already owned. Sadly, it was not the same formula and too overwhelming for me. I even called the boutique in LA where I bought the original . They no longer had the one I owned. I still have the beautiful bottle though and so wish they would still sell the " true" original. What a mistake on their part to let that one go. Mackie has been my favorite for the past 13 years. That and original Giorgio are the all time best perfumes in my opinion.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Truly men must love this perfume. I met a Pan AM pilot in Berlin I dated in the mid 70's who told me the most beautiful place in the world to see was Bora Bora. He also told me I had to get FIRST perfume. He loved it. I did make it to Bora Bora and he was absolutely correct about the breathtaking beauty. I also purchased FIRST. I liked it but didn't love it. It just wasn't quite "me" at the time. I had been wearing Oscar. I tried so hard to like it because it cost so much and he liked it. I never finished the bottle. Then my boyfriend at the time purchased the original Georgio perfume in the Rodeo Drive store for me shortly after that and I loved it. So did everyone else. Bye Bye First! They quit making the original Georgio for some reason changed it and released it under that name but different fragrance , unfortunately. I will always remember FIRST fondly and can attest to the fact it does indeed drive some men "crazy". My fragrance of the past 13 years has been MACKIE which I believe to be the best fragrance ever made.

Maribelflorindo's avatar

Spain Spain

Jil Sander Woman III by Jil Sander

Is a very femenine perfume. Long lasting and very atracted to others.
    Is dificult to find in just any perfumery.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Nothing is beyond criticism, but I'm not very objective about this timeless fragrance. It was all I wore through my college years and for a decade after that. I once spent my last $20. on a two-ounce bottle of Eau Sauvage, that's all it cost back then, but that was a month's worth of cigarettes.

The apotheosis of sweet citrus and fresh herbs, an uncomplicated and elegant men's classic, with a touch of grassy sparkle. Yes, there's a bit of dirty-minded uncouth, a gentleman's inner savage, in there. And there will always be a place in my wardrobe for this old friend, still serving aces after all those years.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Old world, romantic, utterly distinctive, noble, and morose. It's the damask, methinks... powered, dangerous, and seductive, but too grave and refined to do anything but stand there being sumptuously clad in maroon silk. Smelling Egoiste makes me think of Chopin's Db nocturne.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I'm fond of Platinum Egoiste. In any other hands this fragrance would be delicious, but familiar. Chanel finesse polishes it to a fabulous luster. Intense and long-lasting, the scent of PE is "full of money", exuberant and almost crass, but even its crassness has an edge of gilt. It's friendly the way a guy who's on top of the world is friendly. I imagine Jay Gatsby's shirt, flung on the lawn, as he dives impulsively into the pool on a summer afternoon, smells like this.

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

The opening splash of lime is sensational. The tequila is there from the start and doesn't dry it out exactly, but gives the lime an acrid sweet twist that is very pleasant, and for me stays with this salty-sweet cocktail to the last drop. A freshet of fragrant leaves comes and goes. There is nothing urbane about this scent, it's a Florida Key, not Sutton Place. But it's terribly fun, audacious really, for a weekend at the beach, or an occasional pick-me-up if you happen to live there.

jmaddux23's avatar

Hot Couture by Givenchy

My mother, bless her heart, chose to give this to my girlfriend for Christmas last year. The sickly-sweet fruit smell just about put me into a diabetic coma. It made my girlfriend smell like an adolescent brothel.

Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a very sweet fragrance with notes of lavender (?), violet, jasmine, citrus, and some musky woods. It is also very well blended, and these notes are hard to decipher. I don't think of bards, blue jeans, or cowboys when I smell this; I think of a young man and young woman--siblings?--dressed in linen and eating muffins, but both with headaches from over-applying their heavy and sweet EDT. Still, though, I like it. For some reason I want to say it does for violet and jasmine what Fleur du male does for orange blossoms. Both fragrances have a linear development (though blue jeans may have a greater development), are well blended, and successfully androgenize a floral accord.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is the first fragrance I purchased unsniffed, basing my decision solely from online reviews and from those in magazines; many people seem to speak highly of it, and I was intrigued by how the fragrance defied gender barriers attracting both men and women. EdOV is an exquisite fragrance, one that you can tell was carefully designed. It opens with a sharp blast of an almost tangy orange, but quickly (within seconds) mellows and seems fuller thanks to the oakmoss. It clings to and sweetens the skin for several hours, but overall lacks longevity.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I think this fragrance deserves more credit than it has received. I appreciate it, but I can't wear it and don't think it smells good on me. I have tried to get rid of it a few times, but can't! its just so complex--I would never think of pairing birch leaf, grapefruit, patchouli and juniper together--but here it is. I think the biggest turn-off is the synthetic sense one might get from it, and how it seems to evoke that zing of ozone characteristic of male scents of the 90s.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

When I first smelled this in an airport, I thought it reminded me of oily rubber bait worms one would use for fishing; and that was a good thing! I wore it for a little while, received a few complements, but would occasionally have it react terribly with my skin and have me reeling in the weirdest foul odor. I gave it the mostly full bottle to goodwill. When reading the list of notes, it seems like a logically good-smelling fragrance, but I feel it was the honeysuckle notes that eventually turned against me.

Nautica Classic by Nautica

Ugh! hate to provide this scent with yet another negative review...but it is awful. I bought it for my dad when I was in middle school, and he never touched it. I wore it for a little while, but then lost the bottle. When I rediscovered it, I was struck by how sour, ozone ridden, and abrasive the top and middle is. If you have the patience to wait around for the sandalwood, power to you.

Patchouli by Crabtree & Evelyn

This is patchouli from top to bottom. I love it, but I love patchouli, and though I really love when patchouli is blended with vanilla and cola, or smoothed with labdanum, this does neither. This is a tangy sharp take on patchouli that is heavy and masculine, but very wearable. I tend to wear it for more formal and wintery occasions, but can see someone wearing it just as easily in the spring.

17 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2009)