Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Atlanta Jane's avatar

Journey by Mary Kay

I really loved Journey, it was the closest fragrance to L'eau D' Issey eau de toilette, only quite a lot ' less expensive'. and it lasted!
    I am in Australia and it has not been available here for a few years now.
    Can it still be purchased in the USA, or any where else?
    AJ

keltichall's avatar

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Got a quick spray at Macy's last week. Wow, much better than the first Ed Hardy for Women. This will be my next perfume purchase.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I wanted this to run across the street and embrace me, but all I got was a polite little wave. Sadly it has not got the class to get away with being so discreet. The opening waft of Violets promised much, but they disappeared to leave me with Fahrenheit light.

It is not terrible, and I can imagine it being used as a muted autumnal daily, or an evening freshener if your better stuff is running low, but it really is not as good as it thinks it is.

Give this as a gift to your friends, and you will know you will always smell better than the recipient.

Bigsugarman's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

First spray.... moldy pee pee. Wow. Awful.

Things got better from there. I really wanted to like this but it didn't work out. Almost became pleasant after awhile but I don't think my skin is right for this. Fond memories of bubble bath aside this one was a big disappointment from a huge YSL fan.

dynastyd95's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I'm shocked by all the negative reviews. This is my favorite cologne out right now. It is such a versatile fragrance and can be worn anytime. A nice blend of citrus/aquatic scent but also very masculine. By girlfriend absolutely loves it also. GREAT buy.

dynastyd95's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I like the smell, however, it smells almost exactly like Sean John's Unforgivable. Even though I do like Unforgivable, this one gets a neutral rating because its nothing new.

AVidrine001's avatar

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

WOW! I read several enticing reviews about this fragrance, so I rushed to purchase a bottle. YIKES! This reminds me of a nursing home! After the "old lady" wears off, I am left smelling like a bad case of body odor. I really, really wanted to love this fragrance, but it smells something awful.

OctoberAmy's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

This one smells like bugspray on me. Even on paper it has a stinging bitter smell that I don't like.
    I have thrown it away and dug it back out of the trash twice just because the bottle looks so pretty
    on my shelf...and I keep hoping one day I will like it. I must have liked it when I bought it.....
    After it's been on long enough it is subtle and pleasant but I can't stand it that long.

19th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2009)

liyon's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I really like this. It's like two fragrances in one. You get the typical citrus/sport smell as the base plus the sweet ginger/cinnamon/spicy smell found in fragrances like John Varvatos and D&G The One on top of it.

What I especially like about this is the spicy aspect stays strong the entire time. In many of the other fragrances, the spice fades and gets flat after an hour or two.

PrM's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is my altime favourite...

It's the smell of beach sand between your toes, salty water in your mouth, hot sun beams warming your skin, children playing in the water, waves slowly, quietly scrolling into the shore, round chalk stones and dryed sea washed timber.

But it's also the smell of hard wind in your face, cold rain stitching your skin, fishermen preparing their boats with tar, seagulls screaming and waves thunderlike crushing against the habour.

It's definitely the most complicated of the "aqua" fragrances. While other "aquas" are wery sporty and fresh, with citrus notes up your face but after that, nothing, absolutely nothing, this one starts with citrus and orange, but quickly the citrus notes are pushed away by a constant changing mix of salty, woody and herbal notes ending in a musklike masculine note.

A masterpiece!

ryanvz1's avatar

Drift by Hollister

Where do I begin? This is one of the best fragrances I have ever smelt. I'm not good with top notes/midnotes/bass notes, but, whatever it is, I love it. This has kind of a younger feel (19-28). Since it's become discontinued (2006), it is harder to come across. However, if you fit within that age range you will see what I'm talking about if you ever wear it. You will receive many compliments and I have quite a few friends and they all say the same thing "That cologne is amazing! Where do I get some?". As far as wearing it goes, it does come out of the bottle kind of odd smelling, but, after about 5 minutes it smells amazing. You only need about 2 sprays and it will last you all day. Buy some, you won't regret it.

cja75's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I kind of liked this stuff years ago but as I got into fragrances more I realized how brutal joop is. Its doesn't really smell bad to me like garbage but it is annoying and STRONG. Fragrance for teenagers I think.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

This is a bit more citrus than my first choice, Arpege pour homme. It's a pleasant scent. If you want just a hint (as if for work), spray the air and walk into it. It works.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

This is my personal favorite, appropriate for everyday use and special occasions. Tangerine/orange notes with a vague hint of powder come through. I get compliments all the time. It is fresh. It is anything but overpowering and "old-lady-ish".

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

I get warm woodsy notes and hints of cherry.
    It's nice to have this as an alternative to my usual Arpege pour homme and Ultraviolet Man which are more reflective of orange and vanilla/ powder. Probably Avon's best.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can pull this one off easily since I really love and appreciate foody scents. Wearable and fun to wear.

Nutty and starchy bread-like notes underlined by iris, fennel, and woods, it does everything I want it to.

JCE scores another hit in my book!

19th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2011)

maccus's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Exquisite bottle - perhaps, misshapen by the intense discordance in the fragrance it contains. It opens to a crescendo of green fig and the initial conflict begins as the fig competes with the grapefruit creating an astringent note which seems to serve as the conduit to all the accents that rise and fall, smear and clash until it all seems to exhaust itself and implode in the strangely discordant and crippled way of some synthetic blends. I suspect it might suit naturally acrid bodies where the astringency might serve a purpose to freshen and tone natural smell.

19th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th January, 2012)

Extravagance D'Amarige by Givenchy

Not very much like the original Amarige. I think it qualifies as a floral / green, and it has a bit of spice in the form of pink pepper and nettle, which give it a rather unique sparkly ambiance. The top and the middle are nicely balanced and well made. I like its base with its wood – sandalwood and cedar – and its iris... and it adds an rather unique touch of sweetness with the strawberry. For the most part it is a very good scent and charmingly feminine. But it has a soapiness that seems out of place. The soapiness is the spoiler for me, and reduces the quality of the experience. Extravagance d’Amarige has good sillage and very good longevity.

Soul by Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

Soul is basically a sweet floral woody that tries to establish an identity of some sort with a few tropical notes: lotus leaf, water lily, bamboo (hydroponic, no less) and cactus flower. But the identity that comes across is principally… sweet… sweet and adolescently floral. It’s a light scent and it doesn’t last very long, but I don’t see either of those characteristics as any sort of tragedy.

20th December, 2008

Vaniglia, Bourbon & Mandarino / Vanilla, Bourbon & Mandarin of Sicily by Antica Farmacista

Orange creamsicle is right! The fragrance centers on a mouth-watering creamy vanilla and mandarin orange. It’s certainly a gourmand, but it manages a bit of control on sweet. It’s not TOO sweet, but very close to it. The orange aspect of it even seems to have an energy to it – a sparkle or effervescence that gives it extra dimension and more than a touch of uniqueness: It’s delectable. Vanilla, Bourbon & Mandarin is a charming fragrance – a bit more feminine than not in its top notes, but substantially unisex through most of its run. It has good sillage and excellent longevity. It’s fun and delightful. (Edit of December 20, 2008 review.)

20th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th June, 2009)

Fig Leaf & Cassis by Thymes

Fig Leaf and Cassis opens with a bright and lively citrus and coniferous accord. The opening is pleasantly aromatic. Already the fig leaf and cassis are in the background; so the accord is not only bright and lively, it is rich and full. There’s a pleasant sharpness – honey, I think – to the accord that doesn’t change as the scent matures. The citrus gradually disappears while the cassis moves to mutual dominance with the coniferous accord and that’s pretty much where it stays until a very subtle caraway, cardamom, and cedar accord show up toward the end of the fragrance. This is an exceptionally nice fragrance, but personally, I think that I would rather use it as a room spray than as a personal fragrance.

Une Histoire de Chypre by Aedes de Venustas

Oh yes, this is chypre. It opens green with a tiny support by the citrus. I think I’m getting a solid dose of galbanum, but it’s a slightly different galbanum than I am used to. There’s a touch of indole in there, too, so the jasmine is doing its proper thing. From the base I’m picking up the patchouli. The opening citrus is mild and it quickly gets even milder until it disappears... but the green holds on to its strength. In the middle, the fragrance seems to fall apart: There’s not many things happening. I get almost nothing of the florals that are supposed to be in the heart, I’ve gone through two sample tubes and I have never been able to smell the roses – or the Osmanthus or the iris. I am totally unimpressed by the base… I get not sweetness of musk or amber nor do I smell the patchouli. All I get is moss, and that is not enough to qualify as a base as far as I’m concerned. Aedes de Venustas’ Histoire de Chypre has poor projection and longevity. (Edit of 20 December 2008 review. Changed from a neutral to a thumbs down.)

20th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)

JaimeB's avatar

Scent 79 for Men by Jil Sander

The notes in this sound marvelous, and it is an eau de parfum. Going on, however, while it's a very nice, I find the sillage modest for an EdP and the longevity a bit disappointing. The scent itself is well made, progeressing nicely from top to bottom. I'm a big fan of clary sage, so its presence here is very welcome, and it makes a wonderful accord with the angelica root and incense. There's no citrus listed in the top here, and indeed, that citrus brightness which might have made it a bit more vivid seems to be missing. A lovely floral accord of jasmine, violet, and orris root in the heart is touchingly simple and subtle, yet elegant. Finally the base of leather, vetiver, and sandalwood is unimpeachably masculine and grounds the scent in that territory. I can't help wishing this stood a]out a bit more from the skin. You've got to get very close to detect it properly, and the lack of any light or sharp note does make it a bit heavy. On the other hand, it's a lovely bit of work, well made and showing good development. I suppose one can't have everything; but one still wants everything, doesn't one? I want to give it a thumbs up, but I'll call this one neutral. I think Buxton could do (and has done) better.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Aod by Lostmarc'h

Right let's get some comments on this.

Official blurb from First in Fragrance

Catch a whiff of the sea breeze, the snap of your towel in the wind. Recall the tang of the ocean, the scent of wet sand.
    Head note of fresh grapefruit, floral core: gardenia, coconut, seashore aromas

My impression is that it's is clearly an aquatic and it's a nicely done one. I can tell it uses good quality ingredients and the scent in general feels more beach like and summerdays to me than some of the aquatics I have tried from Bond. It's not very synthetic but it's light, very fresh which is probably caused byt eh grapefruit with maybe a touch citrus in there. I didn't notice and coconut smell, it didn't smell like tan lotion at all and it seems that often coconut means tanlotion in the perfume world but this is not tan lotion territory. It's fresh cold water on a sunny day, very refreshing and blue. With a slice of lemon and grapefruit in there.

If you like aquatics give this one a go. I'm not an aquatic girl but I wouldn't hate it if it was given to me while I would hate others.

Calèche by Hermès

Some 10 years ago a lady in a pefumer's shop smelled Caleche and sighed: "My, it's so beautiful". She could not afford it, somehow perfumes were (and still are) more expensive in Poland than in Western Europe. I sniffed at it - and it smelled sort of difficult. After some years I took a risk and bought it for myself. The first contact was still difficult - it smelled so unlike today! "So what! - I thought. - I do not need to be like today". At first I planned to wear it only to chic classic dresses, but soon I was wearing it to everything, blue jeans and black emo T-shirts included! You won't believe it, but it went well with these, too! Maybe because it went well with my skin and psyche? One of the greatest masterpieces ever, an adventure for the soul!

24, Faubourg by Hermès

A genuine perfume, very perfumy one, the incarnation of an archetypal perfume. Only for a very classy lady and elegantly dressed. I smelled it once on a doctor in her white apron and during her working hours - of course it smelled nice, but it was like Beethoven's symphony being played in a supermarket. Neither right place, nor right time. Needs a little thinking before putting it on. For me there is no trace of casualness in it, neither is there any "freestyle spirit". So no casual clothes (it would be a blasphemy to it), neither hippie or boho (too much colours at one place). Black dress, black or white suit or something similarly elegant are the only rightful circumstances for it.

Hiris by Hermès

I have mixed feelings. I do appreciate the ambitious plan to combine all possible aspects of iris - the flower I adore. I also like the vegetable - or strictly speaking carroty - notes about it. But the overall impression is "too much good". You cannot close all the world in a single fragrance - even it is only an iris world. There should be some anxiety in it - and there is only plenty, a bit nauseating plenty. But on the other hand a friend of mine considers it the greatest fragrance ever. Maybe on someone's skin it might smell great?

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

The first impression at the first sniff was: "like an elegant leather coat, like Chanel Cristalle". It was even before I read that it was meant as a "handbag fragrance". At the second impression there were some new aspects added, like powdery notes and airy notes. For me there is hardly any sweetness in it - only leather and wind with a light smell of flowers. It seems less intricate and more blunt than Cristalle, but on the other hand fuller, richer at the same time. Like Cristalle, it is detached, sort of unemotional, the distant face of original Caleche. Suitable for Grace Kelly and other cold blondes. And for me to, although I'm no blond :-))

tvlampboy's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Absurd terms such as "raindrop accord" aside, this is a synthetic mess which really wants to work -- yet fails. I like the fresh ginger opening, but the pallid melon notes and "blah" sandalwood dry-down really lack the oomph I look for in a frag. Also, sillage and longevity here leave a great deal to be desired.

Euphoria Intense is the far better fragrance, even in spite of its opening "melon blast." Do yourself a favor and pass over Euphoria. While not terrible, it's certainly not great, either. Get the Euphoria Intense -- it's by far the superior juice.

odysseusm's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is a dark, rich, very woody scent. The dark tone is very interesting: at times I get hints of espresso coffee, but mostly I am reminded of rich, organic black soil – an attractive smell for those who garden. My goodness, the cedar is prominent and aromatic here! It dominates the sandalwood, in my opinion. The incense notes are pleasing and a bit heady. Like many other MPG scents, this is rich, and at times ever-so-slightly sweet. The vanilla and amber stay fairly restrained, and add a bit of luxury. Very nice stuff.