Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I get two things here: hazelnuts and smokiness. It fades rather quickly on me. I find it to be unpleasant and unwearable.

scentsitivity's avatar

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

As noted by others, the opening is similar to that of Cartier’s Déclaration. What dominates here are coniferous notes and the presentation is classy, but there is something ‘dirty’ lurking in the background. Interesting and well done. Notes (per fragrantica.com website):

Top notes: rosemary, artemisia, coriander, galbanum and lemon
    Middle notes: carnation, cypress, iris, cinnamon, lavender and jasmine
    Base notes: sandalwood, fir, amber, patchouli, musk, coconut, vetiver, incense and cedar

distortech's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

A wonderful use of cinnamon, a favourite of mine in winter.

joxer96's avatar

Duro by Nasomatto

Two words: Okoumal overdose. At least that's what the main note smells like to me, if it's not Okoumal then it's something very similar to it. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this particular aroma chemical, to me it seems to overpower everything else in Duro. I can detect what smells like a very nice amber/leather background, but again, it's buried beneath the dry, sharp note on top. As others have mentioned, one thing it certainly has going for it is longevity. A couple sprays should be plenty.

Voyage by Nautica

Very good aquatic/marine fragrance with a hint of soapiness to it. Free and clean. Great casual wear.

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Take Mugler Cologne and D&G Light Blue for Women and add a TON of lemony citrusy goodness on the top and you have Allure Sport Cologne. Does that sound bad? It doesn't to me!

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

I was reminded of Dior Homme's powdery, floral like accord (that smells like lipstick to me) when I first smelled Power. Doesn't surprise me that the same perfumer did both. Very soft (for a name like Power, don't let that blind you), and definitely floral. Not cloying. Some good stuff right here.

Cabochard by Grès

Sadly neglected absolutely stunning espcially in the Perfume form of this fragrance.Why did it take so long for you to find me?.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Most complimented fragrance I have ever worn (and ther have been many) by both sexes not trendy not current just a complete classic .I have a fear that this may be discontinued I hope not.
    Attending Xmas party in a room full or fragrance three people said "you smell gorgeous>"

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

Fantastic full STOP!
    Very hard to find but the search will be worth the effort

bbBD's avatar

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

As I read through all the ELO reviews it's become apparent to me that you either like ELO's 'thing' or you hate it. As these reviews show, there is rarely any middle ground. I'm in the camp of those who appreciate the ELO thing - from the goofy names to the cartoon logos to the avante-garde fragrances. I think some people are a little too sucked into the marketing and expect too much, judging the actual fragrance against the quirkiness of the marketing. In reality most ELO fragrances are well made, modern compositions using high-quality materials. They are not super-sexualized, raunchy, or wild over-the-top fragrances.

Charogne is my favorite of the line (having sampled all but three right now). I find it difficult to describe only because I'm not always good at distinguishing florals. Too my nose bergamot plays a bigger role then others have mentioned. The combination of bergamot and the florals come off as being a rich, leathery, candied orange scent to me.... sort of like leather tainted with orange, ginger, and vanilla. The fragrance sweetens and becomes a little more musky at it progresses, but I find it to be fairly linear. I don't get any of the foetid note others describe - perhaps I just can't detect it, perhaps I'm interpreting it differently, or perhaps it's different when worn as opposed to sampled on the wrist or paper. Either way, I find Charogne to be a fun, lightly sweetened leathery/floral that is neither offensive or boring.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I like Hugo the most out of all the currently available Hugo Boss fragrances, despite the apparent lack of love for it displayed here on BN. It has a solid, "green" spiciness to it that I love, a great mix of bitterness and sweetness. Longevity is fairly weak, and it needs to be reapplied frequently on my dry skin.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I love Kouros. I don't get any sense of unpleasant odor from it at all, although the initial blast is a little "rough". In any case, the drydown is fantastic and worth the wait. I don't wear it all the time, since I have lots of other scents that I also wear. But it's definitely something that I like to wear in the evening at clubs and restaurants. This is also one of the few fragrances that I wear which has excellent longevity. Most fragrances are gone from my skin in a few hours, but Kouros lasts for an entire day.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

I'm also in that category of people who love fig fragrances. This is a bright, sweet, ripe fig. But the fragrance also takes a lot of its character from its tart citrus top notes. It's very well-done, but longevity is an issue here. This is probably not too surprising, with so much of the fragrance resting on its top notes. In any case, this is currently my favorite fig fragrance, with Diptyque´s Philosykos a very close second.

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

This is one of my favorite "green" fragrances, providing a realistic sense of rolling around in ivy leaves. It's very linear, and longevity is not its strong point, but this can be said about nearly all the Diptyque fragrances. Frequent application is necessary to fully enjoy it, but it's worth it if you like being surrounded in foliage.

Thundra by Profumum

This is currently my favorite fragrance. I love it all the way from the opening blast of mushroom-like earthiness, all the way down to its indescribable other-worldly finish. Longevity is typical of the Profumum line --- legendary. I ordinarily turn almost apoplectic from spending $240 on 100ml of fragrance, but this juice is worth every penny for me. I just can't say enough about it.

violetblack's avatar

Eva by Santa Maria Novella

I love this. Love love love. Very clean, it reminds me of linen for some reason, and my husband likes it, too. I get a lot of bergamont from this and pepper. I can see this being effortless, regardless of weather or gender. It was love at first sniff.

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

This fragrance is quite unique as I have never smelled anything like this before. The actual smell of this perfume is very distinctive. From reading about this fragrance, the main scents in it are: Citrus, Orange, Tomato Leaf, Waterlilly, Green Coral Orchid, Vodka Tulip Tree, Daffodil, and White Birch. To me, it is a citrus fragrance (smells like lemons and oranges with a twist to me) with the twist coming from the tomato leaves. The tomato leaves mellow out the citrus but make an unusual addition to this fragrance (It doesn't smell like tomatoes at all, it kinda smells like lemon grass to me). I do not smell vodka at all in this one or any form of alcohol).

I didn't like DKNY at first because it was way too sharp for my taste, but after about 20-30 minutes the sharpness mellowed out to a nice clean, fresh and kinda sweet, somewhat feminine scent. This fragrance is not sexy or sensual. It is a clean zesty citrus scent that could very well be unisex. This is a nice fragrance that reminds me of Summer and seems suited for warm weather. I live in Florida, perfect Summer weather (hot and humid) almost year round, but personally I would not wear this everyday. I actually prefer this one at night (I think it's a little too strong for the day). It's not exactly subtle! Maybe that's just me? This lasts throught the night although you may want to refresh it, especially if you like the really fruity top notes. I quite like it once it has a chance to mellow out and the feminine qualities kick in.

Dream Angels Halo by Victoria's Secret

In my opinion, it is not an unbearable scent, I find it simple and boring. It smells like a light candy note, I do not smell any notes listed above, just sweet light candy. This doesn't last long on me at all and I much prefer Divine and Desire in the Dream Angels line.

Dream Angels Divine by Victoria's Secret

Divine is the perfect name for this fragrance....it is simply divine. It smells sexy and seductive but somewhat elegant. It is vibrant and light with notes of lotus flower and water lilly. This in my opinion, is one of the best smelling fragrances on the Dream Angels line, with the newest addition Desire being second. There is a warmthness that attracts me to this scent, there is something special about Divine that draws me to it.

Cool Water Woman Frozen by Davidoff

The cool water I have is called "Freeze Me" not Frozen. Freeze Me is a limited edition fragrance that launched in April 2008. The bottle looks like an iceberg surrounded by water. According to what I have read it is a cool aquatic fragrance that features pineapple, mint, sea accord, violet, magnolia, lily of the valley, summer jasmine, sandalwood, iris, peach, amber, and musk. I can not detect the pineapple but I do smell a slight hint of mint and amber with flowers and musk. Freeze Me is sparkling, cooling, & alluring. The notes blend together perfectly for a clean, fresh, crisp scent. It is soft and light, perfect for daytime use. I also feel quite refreshed when I wear this. If you like aquatic clean scents, give this one a try.

Amber Romance by Victoria's Secret

I was given the body splash Amber Romance as a gift. It smells warm and sensual but can sometimes be overpowering. I like this scent overall, but sometimes I can't stand to smell it. It smells like sweet lovely amber sometimes and it smells like cheap headachy generic spray other times. I give it neutral because it doesn't smell horrible every time I wear it, Amber Romance actually smells pleasant at times.

Pear Glacé by Victoria's Secret

I love the scent of fresh icy pears, and this works for me most the time. It smells like crisp fruity pears but can be overwhelming at times especially if a lot is applied. The only problem I have with Victoria Secrets splashes is that they don't last (of course they are not perfume) and they can sometimes be too strong and somewhat sickening.

Dream Angels Desire by Victoria's Secret

Desire is the latest edition to the Dream Angels line. It is sensuously soft, creamy, and smooth with notes of pink peony, freesia, plum, and frangipani. It is fruity floral that is feminine. I find that it is a nice classy fragrance but still casual (it can be dressed up or down). I would describe it as soft, clean, and slightly powdery.

Top notes: white star magnolia, living white freesia, ivy leaves.
    Middle notes: frangipani, pink peony mist, yellow plum.
    Low notes: angelique wood, crystal musk, angora accord.

I prefer Desire and Divine in the Dream Angels line over Halo and Heavenly (I don't care for Halo and Heavenly).

SirWill's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

An hour after application it reminded me of a "head shop" I visit to purchase cds and records from. I was glad to see someone else made a similar connection on here with the Chinese store reference. I really like the clean scent and it is not quite what I expected when reading the Prada tag on the label. Gets a thumbs up from me but I should state that I don't have anything in my collection that smells similar to this.

SirWill's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I just tried this on and have mixed feelings about it. I can't comment on the notes as I don't know exactly what they are. At first it smells like an average boring scent, perhaps with citrus notes. After a while it reminded me of a tamer, weaker version of Dirty English for men. Not a whole lot of longevity to the scent.

mauricio's avatar

Colombia Colombia

Burberry London for Men Special Edition by Burberry

Hi fragance fans, I like London, and i had good expectations about this one, but i can say that this is just a soft version of the original, waiting for TheBeat for men.

's avatar

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

I really think First is a unsung marvel. I always wonder why perfume lovers never list it among the "greats". I actually think many people just have not worn it! And I sort of like keeping it my secret.
    I only wore Rive Gauche for ten years, but it was First that broke that devotion -- my first affair. I liked it on me nearly as well. And it was just as capable of conveying sophistication and elegance, with a much more "come hither" effect than Rive Gauche.
    For me, it is not unlike Y. But a tad soapier and sweeter.
    Anyway, I believe First is a true French masterpiece. I pray it stays the same, and I pray it stays available.
    My husband absolutely loves this one me. I think it is very sexy and very timeless, and I don't think it smells old at all. I discovered it in the nineties, and it has always had a classic presence to my mind, the sort of level of elegance that cannot become dated.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

My first impressions of this were "Oh good god no". An utterly acrid and insipid brew bordering on the repellent. The initial blast reminded me of aniseed and cloves but it dries down leaving a dull spike similar to a generic high street shower gel. I can imagine someone with leather wristbands wearing this to an Elbow concert. It has no class, and no redeeming features whatsoever.

AVidrine001's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

My high school best friend's alcoholic mother used to drench herself in this scent. Maybe it was the vodka and perfume mixed, but it still brings back stinky memories. This is a definite no for me.