Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

AVidrine001's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

The marketing persuaded me to buy this fancy little celebrity sweet treat. Save your money and douse yourself with a bottle of vanilla extract. The vanilla is overpowering, so much that, when I wore it in public, a friend commented "something smells like vanilla."

AVidrine001's avatar

Johnson's Baby Cologne by Johnson's

Babies wearing perfume? How absurd! Of course I bought a bottle of it for my little girl, in all my absurdity. This stuff could burn the nose hairs off of an adult, and probably damage the sense of smell in a newborn. Not recommended.

renna's avatar

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

This is so amazing, as soon as I sprayed it I fell in love with it. The bottle designs are so adorable! Plus, right now at Macy's, you can get a gift set with the 3.4 oz perfume, a large body lotion, and a travel size perfume for 75.00, which is the regular price of the 3.4 oz alone :) great deal, and it's applicable to the original fragrance as well.

W_Hayes's avatar

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

christ... i had to choose between Versace pour Homme, and Davidoff Adventure...
    i went for Versace, of course...
    but the smell of Adventure haunted me, and i had to buy it as well..
    it had potentiality, of course, but it's very weak... after one hour, it starts to fade, maybe on my skin, but it doesnt last ...
    a pity...

pbdmom's avatar

Inouï by Shiseido

I absolutly LOVED that perfume. It's hard to believe that such a great smelling perfume was discontinued. I miss it and wish it would be produced again. I'd be first in line to buy the perfume!

Pete the Sculptor's avatar

Liquid Chic by Pauline Trigère

My wife loved this perfume. She hasn't been able to find it at any fragrance/perfume stores and would like to see if there is still someplace she can buy it. If anybody knows a source, please let me know.

Annaa's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Eurghhhh It's fucking disgusting.... My grandma wears it.. Everywhere you go with her you smell it... Every present she gives you smells of it... Every card she gives you smells of it, When she's staying in our house, the house smells of it.. IT. IS. RANK.

Eternity Summer 2006 by Calvin Klein

Hmmm… I never thought I would use the thumbs up on anything named “Eternity.” Eternity Summer 2006 is an airy, breezy, soapy floral. The opening is citrus and fruity according to the pyramid. I get grapefruit and verbena, but I don’t smell the fig note that is supposed to be there. I don’t know if the fig is supposed to be the fruit or the leaf, but I guess it doesn’t matter because I can’t smell it either way. The heart notes are floral – honeysuckle, jasmine, and magnolia says the pyramid… I say honeysuckle and a bit of jasmine. The base is musk – the only note that I can firmly identify in the base. The fragrance is more light than not and very feminine. It has an airy feel to it, and I don’t get a lot of sweetness. A pleasant fragrance with decent sillage and longevity.

20th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Horizon by Guy Laroche

The good:

Horizon is a dark, juicy take on the aquatic genre that opens with juicy citrus (mainly grapefruit), fruits, aquatic notes, mint, and lavender. This "cooling" effect lasts throughout the drydown thanks to the mint and geranium notes. Some slight pine-like, forest notes make an entry as Horizon dries down and give it an outdoorsy feel combined with the aquatic notes. Oakmoss in the base. The longevity and sillage are both superb - I get up to 9 hours out of Horizon.

The bad:

This is a very unique scent, and not for everyone. The top notes can be quite shocking just because of how unique they are. Definitely try before you buy.

The ugly:

The fact that Horizon doesn't get more recognition. It's unconventional for sure, but with the immense popularity Drakkar Noir has garnered, why can't Horizon get some attention?

Bottom line:

Guys, try it. You don't have to like it, but at least try it to get an idea of what an aquatic can be with some attention to detail. I find it to be absolutely mouth-watering and strangely enticing. The price? Unbeatable. One of the few aquatic fragrances that actually "wow" me (along with New West by Aramis, Kenzo Pour Homme, Aqua Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, and Bulgari Aqua).

20th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th June, 2011)

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

With Blue Grass I get an herbal / floral opening with lots of aldehydes. I enjoy the aldehydes and the indoles. There already is a strong powder in the opening accord. It’s quite nice in a rather old-fashioned way. The jasmine and tuberose from the heart accord come rather strongly – a bit too strongly for me. It is probably the tuberose that I find gets rather cloying – I never have trouble with jasmine. Between these two florals, there is certainly some serious indole action happening. I don’t smell the rose or the carnation at all, just the white florals. After the aldehydes and indoles wear off and the white florals settle down, I become aware of why the fragrance was named as it is: The drydown is quite grassy and a bit floral with some sweetness, wood, and musk. The grassiness contributes a very nice rustic herbal / green feel to the floral drydown but I don’t enjoy it because there’s just too much powder in the mixture. The powder is extreme, and while I didn’t mind it at first, it eventually gets disproportionate. I enjoy this fragrance except for the excessive powder. (Edit of 21 December 2008 review.)

21st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th April, 2010)

Caterina de Medici by I Profumi di Firenze

Caterina de Medici is a nicely designed and implemented floral. It’s a light floral of rose, lily of the valley, and iris in a well blended, clean, fresh cologne strength fragrance. As with the other I Profumi di Firenze that I have experienced, there is a natural smelling, clean ambiance to the fragrance with a fairly distinctive I Profumi di Firenze aura to It – a charmingly raspy - pastoral feel caused by an airy sharpness in the floral notes. In one sense I appreciate the naturalness of it – it’s rusticness is charming. But in another sense the rustic ambiance doesn’t really fit the concept of Catherine Medici... she would be very low on my list of pastoral personalities. I suppose I had better review it on its olfactory charms rather than its name, and on that basis I would have to say that this is a thumbs up fragrance. Caterina de Medici has decent sillage but it lasts only a couple of hours on my skin.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Think little fitted suit, think Parisian springtime and think of the elegant simplicity of a green scent. This is Sunday in Paris. I wear Miss Dior only during the day and never in the winter. This is not a sexy scent, this is not a beautiful scent. But this is most definately a pretty scent and it's pretty in all the right ways: Miss Dior is approachable, inoffensive, not too loud and incredibly clean. You can wear a lot of Miss Dior and it does not overpower. It is a classic, and it does what so many newer scents try to do - to be pretty. But here we have the equivalent of a Christian Dior suit, and it will endure.

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed

19th century in a bottle, heady but not too heavy - but beware, use only a small amount. It's my favourite Creed scent currently but perhaps only because it is so unlike the more wearable others. Note: no one ever comments on it even though I can tell they notice it (it is impossible to not notice, even with one spray). I wear it only for myself, I know others don't know what to make of it. It is hard to know how to match it with clothing - it is entirely a 19th century scent. It's a bit like Christmas fruit cake - it is good but only in small doses, only once in a while, and it is not something people rave on about.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche suits day and nighttime/evening wear: it can be colourful and vibrant (even 'sporty') during the day, and completely sensual in the evening. I love wearing it in the summer best, when the heat changes it on your skin only for the better. Not right for formal occasions, think of Rive Gauche as your favourite pair of vintage jeans, or your best little black dress (see above, it suits both day and night).

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Pleasantly surprised to see this is unisex. I bought this for my wife cuase I thought it was for women only. Upon testing it a few times, I came to the conclusion that I can wear it as well.
    The labdanum sticks out in the drydown, giving this that 70s aura, but it is well contrasted with the lemony opening. I would still say this is for older folks...35 or even 40 plus. Works best in the summer, not bad in the winter. Thumbs up becuase of the unisex nature, which was somewhat rare in the 70s.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

I really expected more mint...instead as Vadim pointed out it is sweet, really sweet. It is still very distinct and special, I certainly cannot see wearing this for anything other than a special occasion. This gets credit simply becuase when you need to smell more distinct than the next guy, this Cartier is there for you.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I've had a mixed relationship with #88. I've always recognized its quality, but found it a little odd and heavy for my tastes. It reminded me of grape crush or cough syrup mixed with Nag Champa, albeit a well done rendition of that accord.

This evening I decided to give it a thorough wearing, and applied it more heavily than I'd done before. The result changed my mind.

This is a heavy, deep and rich fragrance centered on rose and sandalwood. There is a fruity tang particularly prominent in the top notes - I assume it comes from the bergamont, though both frangipani and mimosa are naturally fruity florals and are listed in the blend.* The top notes soon modulate into a fuller and more distinct rose with sandalwood smoke billowing through its heart.

It is very hard to describe the nature of this fragrance, because while it is rose and sandalwood, it's so much more than that implies. Sweet, rich, thick, voluptuous, smooth, heavy - these are some of the attributes that come to mind. It's the olfactory equivalent of wading through a knee-deep pool of red velvet, and subtle is certainly one adjective that doesn't seem apt.

This is a big fragrance with a big and somewhat disconcerting personality. It's definitely a "character" scent; the perfect scent for the extrovert eccentric of either sex, or just someone who feels like attracting attention or showing off.

The sillage is good; the longevity is moderate.

#88 now takes its place among my other two favorite roses, being totally aesthetically removed from both the dry refinement of Paestum Rose and the limpid naturalness of Sa Majeste La Rose.

*The cynical side of me says "Really? Frangipani in an ELIZABETHAN recipe!?" But I'll forgive a good fragrance highly dubious ad copy.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

An offensive pepto-bismol and bubblegum blast... no wangs or other bodily secretions present, but a wrist-scrubber none the less.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Bold and brash and a little tacky, Jasmin Et Cigarette is the only ELDO fragrance I've tried where these apparently endemic ELDO qualities seem appropriate.

There's not a lot I can say about this fragrance. It's granddaughter's fruity jasmine fragrance spilled into grandpa's tin of tobacco. It's a fairly linear progression from "mostly jasmine" to "mostly tobacco". It's rich, fruity, dirty, smoky, and all in all, a unique creation in the world of florals.

Like most ELDOs, it lasts till you're dead and has nuclear-fallout sillage. Apply cautiously.

jathanas's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I feel compelled to offer this as a warning: DO NOT BLIND BUY!

I'm not able to elaborate on the development of the fragrance because I can't get past the opening. Very stuffy like a dark room that hasn't had any fresh air or light for years, saturated with rose pot pourri. Not for me.

21st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 03rd August, 2009)

Zut's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

This is one of my all-time favourite fragrances. Strangely enough, while Shalimar can be feminine and delicate when worn by a woman, it has a powdery yet not too sweet amber note that makes it suitable for a man. When I wore it many years ago, all my coworkers thought it was a masculine fragrance. What makes a fragrance masculine or feminine can be so subjective. Is Shalimar old-fashioned? Yes, a little. But it is classy and distinctive.

bamacharm's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Ardell1990 is spot on. This is Burberry Brit's first cousin. That's a good thing for me because I adore Burberry Brit. Both have Italian bergomot in the opening notes and both have nutmeg in the notes that follow. This is not the blow you over, headache producing, nutmeg pungency found in some but a more subdued, well blended, in the background nutmeg. I tried a sample of Diamonds and melted. It is so good and I believe it has much better longevity than Brit. I will be buying it. Excellent stuff.

Tony T's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

having many bvlgari scents in my lineup i added this a few years ago. a very nice scent is all i can say.a bit spicy and aquatic and decent longevity. i just don't use it because of the other scents i have that are similiar such as adg, 360 red, bermuda tonic and so on. it's in the middle of aquatics but if you find it at a dicounted price indeed pick it up.

bbBD's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Here's a fragrance in which the reviews are nearly all identical. The thrust of this fragrances is a sweetened patchouli balanced with roses. The patchouli becomes more 'damp' in the drydown, and it is joined with a fruity note - perhaps this is the plum some describe - that serves to sweeten the composition a bit more. Linear but very enjoyable, the fragrance lasts 10 hours easily on my skin with one spray. The patchouli is sweet in the vein of PG's Intigrant Patchouli or ELO's Nombril Immense. I personally prefer my patchouli quite a bit more dry and along the lines of L'Artisan's own Patchouli Patch, but this is a good, unisex patchouli floral nonetheless.

surreality's avatar

Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire

Uninspiring to say the least. The citrusy opening soon fades into a floral heart before the iris starts to come through. A green note adds a little something to the mix and brightens the scent but overall this just smells flat and listless.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is another one that I wish I like as much of most people seems to like.
    It open with a burst of burned woods, incense, amber and some sort of asian spice.
    Masculine? oh yes
    Powerful? Too much in the opening , it promises a lot but ends up with a very generic dry down, like the one that I have smelled in a gazillion orientals.
    It is an ok fragrance to be used with caution and in cold weather, wearing it in summer is like wearing a leather jacket to the beach.
    Not my cup of tea. I am wearing YSL M7 today and I find them similar but M7 more versatile.
    Sorry but a neutral rating is appropriate from my side.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL is one of my favourite designers house and I can say that with confidence after owning most of their offers for man.
    Said that, my admiration for the house, M7 is somehow not for me. Perhaps I am over dosing on orientals for the past year and this one is another powerful oriental.
    Oud, amber, some musk, some grass (vetiver ?¿?) , some flower... a little of everything in a blender with some medicinal syrup. Mix it for an hour and you will get M7.
    Opening is very strong and goes all over the place, it is this and that, in one word : WEIR.
    Sillage is strong
    Longevity is strong
    Reaction by other people is strong.
    This one is provocative, to me, hard to understand. Do not over apply. I strayed 4 times yesterday around 17:00 and this morning 06:45 is still very present and annoying, I am jumping in the shower as soon as I finish typing. After I need a big those to Aqua di Parma or Green Irish Tweed for the M7 hangover.
    I will give a neutral rating as this is different, potent and challenging.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo

Incanto is a warm woodsy floral with a hint of fruit on me. I has a plesant smell and is somewhat sensual. This fragrance has a blend of pepper, peaches, sweet exotic florals, woods, amber and musk. The amber and musk really stand out on me when I wear it. It is a nice fragrance that lasts a long time. I usually wear this to work but there is something exotic about it so it can be worn at night. This is another wonderful fragrance from Salvatore Ferragamo (Incanto and Subtil being my two favorites).

shimmerling's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

for the 2 hours it lasts on me i really like reaction... the melon in the beginning is really invitng... all in all id give it 5* on the scent but 2* on the lasting power... but what do you expect out of an EDT? if they made an EDP out of this i would buy it in a heart beat...

Bartlebooth's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Well, after ten years of relative popularity, one can sense that the allure is receding with each passing year. On its release some ten years ago, I became an ardent fan, and indeed have owned half a dozen bottles during that time. I used to be beguiled by its bullying mid note pepper presence that led you to the woody delights of the Tonka bean soaked base notes. Perhaps I used to ignore the rather sour accord that the citric top notes provide, just focusing on the moment the Jamaican pepper would march in and drag me forward at gunpoint. Either way, I now see Allure for what it is - a half decent woody fragrance with an appealing dry down.

It is the opening that pains me the most, as I have never delighted in the mandarin note, and its part in any accord is often the cause of a distinct synthetic vibe. It is only with the recession of the opening, that one can enjoy the mercurial presence of the pepper note. It is sufficiently reined in, preventing any form of dominance, but it acts as a very persuasive and intriguing episode before the base notes weave a little magic. Allure is an inoffensive, pleasant and contained fragrance, it’s just that I expect a little more than this from Chanel.

21st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th January, 2010)