Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Bartlebooth's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

It is obvious from the initial inhalation that this fragrance has some pedigree. Once the top notes have dissipated, I was left with a blend of cherry menthol and floor wax, albeit expensive floor wax. Although not altogether unpleasant I was not amazed by it. It has an obvious quality about it, giving the impression the wearer was trying just a little too hard. Applications and uses might be for a formal occasion where such an obtrusive fragrance might be in keeping with the rest of the ensemble, but I can see scant use for it elsewhere.

Ignatius N*6's avatar

Domain by Mary Kay

My aunt, a Mary Kay rep., gave me a bottle of this for some occasion. I tried to wear it, and appreciated the gesture, but Domain is not for me. The top notes sting of medicine and wasp repellant, and certainly take their time to settle. The middle notes retain the sharpness of the top, but give rise to more approachable petigrain, green berries, ozone, juniper, and...lavender? When the EDT reaches its basenotes, it settles into a non-descript acidic and woodsy accord.

When searching for Domain on this website, I came across a discussion comparing Domain to Abercrombie Woods. While the comparison had never struck me, I suppose it is relevant. I much prefer Woods with its hints of vanilla, but would never wear either.

Blorp's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I loved this cologne as a teenager and felt very posh wearing it. That is until I had a bottle of it break in my backpack on a 2 hour bus ride. I didn't feel so classy then. It's an unforgettable scent, especially if you were on the bus with me - or in the car behind it. Of course now it just makes me laugh smelling it but there is nothing like it.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

This smells pretty and romantic. I gave minis to my bridesmaids to wear for my wedding while I was ostentatious in Pure Poison.  (But that's sort of the point, right?)  One of my sisters loved it and bought the full size.  I had a mini left over so I wore it to work and was complimented on it.  It is uncomplicated and subtle, pretty, best worn when feeling demure.  I don't feel demure very often.

Marcelle's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This was the first "real" perfume I ever used, which I purchased at 13. I thought it was wonderfully elegant and grown-up. The following summer, I went on exchange to the south of France. My host Mom promptly declared Cacharel a "minor" house and took me to the Chanel counter, where the clerk hooked me up with Chanel Cristalle. A couple of decades and many fragrances later, this smells pretty insipid, but as an entry-level soft floral for someone in her early teens, it's inoffensive enough.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

This fragrance just smells good. Refined, soft and snuggly. You mix vanilla, amber and tonka and you'd think it would be a sticky sweet mess, but it's not. Jaipur is very soft, a little sweet, a bit of spice and slight wood note. It is almost transparent in its simplicity. If an incense could be made of vanilla alone this is it. I like it but it is what it is - no questions or intrigue - and therefore I don't find myself wanting to wear it much. It needs a little more adventure or mystery in the mix. But no question vanilla with amber and tonka just smells good!

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

This is, to me, the finest, definitive, classic Bay Rum. It exudes the medicinal smell which defines barber shop to me; cloves, and a wonderful, smooth, linear bay rum accord. The whole thing is just so simple, so coherent, so natural smelling that it has charmed me utterly.

It is clove heavy, in the English style, so best avoided if you have trouble with that spice. If like me, you like your cloves, then I think you need to buy some.

JenniferHuber's avatar

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

Colors reminds me of high school as well - but I have to say that the newer bottles of Colors that are being sold DO NOT smell anything like the clear glass bottles that I owned way back when. I've read that it was re-launched in 1993 and they must have changed the formulation. When my last bottle ran out, I replaced it from two different perfumers and neither of them smelled anything like the one that I had that was empty. I ended up buying a vintage bottle on eBay. Only when I'd bought an old bottle did I find the warm wintry scent that I remember from way back when.

JenniferHuber's avatar

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

This is one of my favorites of the Bond line - it is very light and summery, and the raspberry undertones sweeten the scent. It is not too floral, but has a warm dry down when I wear it.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

All the reviews so far are very much on point. Leather? yes. Violets? check. Creaminess? It's there. Candied fruit? That too. This oozes that extra fine quality known to many niche frags. There is no confusing this with something cheap. What is confusing though is the unsex nature...to me this is for women only. I got an incredible deal on my bottle but I will be letting it go pronto. I would have expected Armani's entire line to be this exquisite.

Fleurissimo by Creed

Delicate and lovely floral, but too light and soapy for my taste.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

WL is horrid on me-- all aldehydes and soap. It took 2 1/2 hours for it to settle down into something I don't want to scrub off, and even after four hours I just plain don't like it. I'm pretty sure I over-applied, but even with that consideration this is not something I would ever enjoy.

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

Sweet eponymous gak. Betsey Johnson's fun clothing is so over the top that it's not really wearable for every occasion. This big, sweet, floral is so over the top that it's completely unwearable for any occasion.

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

This has a lot of creamy, sweet vanilla that I'm not keen on, and instead of incense I get something more like ashtray. The woods don't really come forward until late in the drydown. I guess I bring out the worst in this fragrance.

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

This is EXACTLY what I smelled like Back in the Day after a long afternoon at the beach. Salt in my hair, dusty sand between my toes, several absorbed layers of Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil with a little sweat, and the day-long drydown of Jardins de Bagatelle (a big, beautiful white floral that represents the best of the 1980s power frags). It's an incredibe accomplishment.

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

This white floral smells both opulent and refined. Its sophistication suggests evening, but I think it would be perfect for a daytime wedding or a Sunday matinee at the theater. It wears like the fragrant equivalent to diamond stud earrings. I have trouble with many white florals, but this is satin smooth. It has a magnolia, bergamot, peach, jasmine thing going on similar to J'adore, and it is similarly lightweight, but J'adore works easily for almost any occasion (from business to baseball to Beethoven) whereas FdN is clearly a dressy scent. I think it's meant to be applied lavishly. There is also orange blossom; jasmine AND orange blossom are usually an unpleasant one-two punch on me, but they are tempered very nicely here. I think the amber is what lends it that close to the skin headiness and pulls everything together in a creamy, dreamy way to make it all work. I'm thinking it's full bottle worthy if only because it is almost something I normally can't wear, and I'm delighted that I can. And, okay, it's full bottle worthy because the bottle is gorgeous!

scentsitivity's avatar

No. 89 by Floris

Per the Floris website, the notes are different than previously listed, so I give them here:

Top notes: bergamot, lavender, neroli, nutmeg, orange, petitgrain
    Heart notes: geranium, rose, ylang ylang
    Base notes: cedarwood, musk, oakmoss, sandalwood, vetiver

To me, No. 89 is a gentleman’s scent with a gentle floral heart. A slight bit of spice (nutmeg), a bit of powderiness and a clean floral character. I get a fruitiness that vaguely suggests peach. A delicate woody base that I adore. I think this is very well constructed. It takes a few wearings to fully appreciate this gem, so do give it a chance to grow on you. I am glad I did!

Lutèce by Dana

I agree with tvlampboy about it smelling similar to Ombre Rose. I tried Lutece in 1993 and it smelled great and I got compliments. I tried it again in 1999 and either my body chemistry had changed or maybe the formula was tweaked because it turned stale on me. I also got in trouble at my job at the time because my boss accused me of drinking beer and I don't even like beer. But she was right...it did have kind of a beerlike quality.

Luscious Pink by Mariah Carey

Let me first say that I tend to ignore celebrity fragrances and that I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey's musical style. But I smelled it in a magazine foldout ad and found it pleasant, so I asked for it for an early Christmas gift. I got it as part of a set with 2 mini bottles of the Mariah Carey M and a mini bottle of this one. The Mariah M scent was okay for me, but nothing special and a bit heavy. But I like Luscious Pink. It does make me think of the color pink, and not just because of the pretty bottle. It is a light and cool floral. It vaguely reminds me of Halo by Victoria's Secret, which has been discontinued. For me, it's sweet and flower and good enough to use this mini bottle up, but it's not distinctive enough to have as a signature scent. But as I said, I really love the bottle design.

Fairy Dust by Paris Hilton

Although I'm not into celebrity fragrances and am not a fan of Paris Hilton, I just smelled this in an ad for Macy's, and I like it. It smelled pleasant enough on the paper scent strip, but even better after being rubbed onto my skin, which is unusual for me. Unlike her other fragrances, I find this one distinctive and more my style. The ad shows Paris all done up in a turquoise fairy costume and the bottle's sprayer is turquoise. And it does give off kind of a turquoisey mood, IMO. (some fragrances don't smell like the color of bottle or liquid that they come in; i.e. Guerlain's Insolence doesn't smell pinky or Chloe's Narcisse doesn't smell greeny) It's light, fresh and crisp and somewhat lasting. It reminds me vaguely of Love's Rain Scent or a bit of Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise. I will buy it someday soon.

distortech's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

One of the most perfect fragrances in any and every form it is available in, period. I agree the scent is very unisex and is every bit as sexy on man as it is a woman. In fact, IMHO, it (in whichever form you like EDC, EDT, EDP, etc...) is simply a must have for EVERY collection.

5 stars

trojan66's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Nothing but class! great sillage, does not leave trails, but is good enough

Yang by Jacques Fath

This smells like a greener, slightly citrusy Declaration. Has an "ugly" feel to it but I think that's the point behind it. Dark woody tea, not a clear brisk tea.

Oyédo by Diptyque

Tart candied lime. Really bright and open in the begining but has terrible lasting power. I love fresh, citrus scents but this one failed to impress me. It doesn't feel fresh or happy like most citrus scents do. Shame.

Opôné by Diptyque

Huge rose scent. Not incredibly wearable and incredibly boring. I'd rather have it in a potpourri, a scented candle or a room spray. At least it smells good.

Greyland by Montale

Incense and cedar woods. It's like Vetiver 46 and Rochas Lui got married. All this is on me is cedar and incense. Nothing much develops. I really liked it in the opening but it just fades, nothing else. And it fades fast. An alright scent.

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

Smells nothing like Armani Code or Brit. Same texture and feel but fragrances in the same family (fresh oriental) feel the same and can smell the same. Zegna Intenso smells more like Lolita Lempicka au Masculin minus the anise accord. Zegna Intenso is more sweet and brighter than Armani Code and not a fuzzy powdery like Brit. Armani Code is a darker, deeper woodier scent.

The differences don't make or break this fragrance. Zegna Intenso is a smooth fragrance with a rich amber base and a not-so-bitter-as-other-frags tonka bean accord. Smooth orange note on top but the "intenso" part is really its longevity of the amber and tonka bean. Good. I'd wear it more than once.

22 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2009)

lizzie_j's avatar

Dioressence by Christian Dior

Very pretty, well balanced and elegant. It smells less 'vintage' than some of its contemporaries. In fact, to my nose, smells quite modern and niche-y. Still, a bit too much powder for me to wear on all but the rarest occasions. I wish the green floral opening would last longer--add a dash more spice, a dollop of creaminess, and I'd be hooked.

14060M's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

Oh my...
    As fresh as anything can be. If that's the by Thomas described toilet cleaning agent smell - I'm fine with that!

Very luxury and powerful citrus notes without being to sharp. In the lower level I find something like leather or tabac. It brings the seriousity and substance for wearing it in the office. Unique. Absolutely!

I have two bottles of that wonderful stuff. Said enough...

funnyboy's avatar

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

Bought this for a girlfriend of mine for her birthday with her birth sign on the bottle without smelling it.She arrived tonight smelling gorgeous.Very unique and green fragrance.Long lasting and suitable for a winter evening.Think it would go well with a sophisticated country outfit.I read somewhere ther were marigolds in this fragrance but it definately isnt floral or girly sweet.Say it was suitable for 40 plus age group.Maybe could even be unisex.Possibly a stronger smelling chanel no 19??