Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

i smelled it in a mall and got addicted to it ... fresh, warm, sexy , everything ...

dvaughn2005's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

I just received a sample of this the other day and I don't know if its my love of mint chocolate or something else but I am absolutely in love with this fragrance. I honestly do not see how anyone could hate this. I understand how someone might dislike it because of the chocolate or something else but I mean I am just so impressed. This is the first Lacoste fragrance I have ever tried but so far its my favorite.

BLADE's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Tried the original a few days ago and wearing the Sport at the moment. To me they are pretty much identical, except the Sport is tamer.

Very big citrus blast at the opening which puts me off - it's not bad, I just don't do that much Citrus..... right now there's a very nice spice coming through adding some warmth that reminds me a little of Opium, which I love.

Certainly very well crafted and oozes quality, but don't know about that top end - if it was more linear and stuck with the middle accord I'm smelling right now I'd certainly consider a bottle.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

An air freshener for the soul. This is an adorable fragrance from the first sighting of the bottle to the brisk dry down that follows. In a few seconds I was transported to a woody glade surrounded by nymphs and elves gamboling playfully in the morning dew.....sorry.

Seriously, this is simply beautiful, a sublime creation that belongs in everyones collection. Wearing this in the summer will lift your spirits and freshen your outlook in an instant.It has decent sillage, longevity and is very sophisticated. I cannot commend this highly enough.

CrystalCandy's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I adore so many of the Prada fragrances, but this one has a power over me! I wanted to buy it for myself, as it developed so beautifully throughout the day after I tested it while shopping for a gift for my partner one Christmas. My boyfriend has a bottle on my recommendation so I often sneakily wear it. It lasts forever, changing so dramatically from the first soapy spray to the warm and sweet drydown, the amber and leather notes make me melt. Think it just works with my chemistry better, as it smells nowhere near as good on my boyfriend!

I am going to buy this for myself, it really is fantastic. Prada and Prada Tendre are also divine.

jllewis12's avatar

Very Valentino pour Homme by Valentino

This is a wonderful scent. Well done!
    This is one of those that can be worn very easy and smooth.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I bought this one without smelling it because I always see it in stores. It smells like powder and warm vanilla. There is a note of spiciness to it but it is mostly overturned by the powdery sweet smell. I can smell the spiciness more when I put my nose right on my skin but other than that, when getting whiff its baby powder and vanilla. I tried to like it and wore it a few times but when ever I smell it, I always think of a woman. Its just to sweet and powdery for my taste.

PS by Paul Sebastian

I like this one. You have to watch out and not put too much on or it will be overpowering. It is a masculine scent. I love how it smells after I put it on. When it drys it has a note of sweetness to it but not too much, it blends well with the other ingredients. I think this fragrance suits better for older men. Theres a strong note of something in it that ive smelled older men wear. Overall I like this cologne compared to alot of others I've tried being the fact that it does smell more "manly" than most. On the downside it can be too strong even with just a little.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I like this one, it has a nice citrus and mossy smell to me. Very masculine. I can see where people say it smells too fruity or like juicy fruit, but c'mon thats when you first put it on! It does smell like that but that leaves after a few minutes. It then dries to a clean moss smell and the citrus is blend is just right. I like this one out of all the other ck colognes.

22 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

A very pleasing mix of amber sandalwood and patchouli. A warm smoothe amber with a touch of spice woods that ends with a minty patchouli. A strange ghost note occurs with the combination of amber and patchouli that has a slight sharp wild smell to it - smells like cat fur or a light urine scent. A smoothe cuddly animal of a scent. Very enjoyable warm patchouli.

maccus's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Too rarely one discovers a fragrance of such haunting quality and genius. Whilst this was something of a rediscovery, the impact was no less welcome. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is a masterful creation which embues one with the kind of carefree dissocation that one reserves for moments of private satisfaction. It's like a warmly remembered and still amusing in-joke that one need not - nor can - share with anyone else... and the mood lingers beautifully. This is a superb composition.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

When this perfume was released I detested it. Far too powdery and overwhelming. However, later my cousin gave me the EDP in a dab on bottle. I avoided it for months, but then discovered that a mere two drops on the nap gave the most wonderously different result. It permeates gently but arousingly. Feminine, playful and uplifting. The powder is still there, which is not usually an element I enjoy, but it is augmented by the rose and violets to bring it out of the matron's water closet.

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

I was in love with the buttery yellow bottle, although the bow looks cheaply put together. I quite liked Marc Jacobs Blush as well. This follows on with the very few feminine/demure fragrances that I allow in my collection. I was told that the scent reminded my male friend of "going to the beach". It is a sweet, carefree scent. Somewhat omnipresent but unobtrusive. It wore well when I first tried it - lingering for hours, again with that gentle reminder attitude. It's going to be the scent I wear to the office from now on. It's present enough to attract comments and says to me refined, relaxed and happy. In a way, there are some of the same feelings generated by Burberry Weekend, however Weekend was more like a ponytail, and this is more like a chignon.

Murmure by Van Cleef & Arpels

WHITE WHITE WHITE... It has done away with any romantic sensibilities. If this were a famous person in history I'd almost go with Elizabeth the Virgin Queen, ruthless and untouchable powerful woman. There is a very old Dior perfume my mother used to have which had much the same evocations (Diorissimo?? not sure). It's a floral for the strong willed, practical woman.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

I love the original Angel and am a sucker for reiterations so got Peony and Violet. Peony is the better of the two with a more exotic twist. Violet is harmless and a less out there version of Angel.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

It doesn't age well. I picked up half a bottle of this at a tester sale and it has developed what I call the Skink Stink. At a department store when the product is fresh I can definitely smell the green apples which is lively and exciting but it doesn't replicate well on the skin. Cheap skin lotion from the chemist does the job better for that fruity feel. While it is not awful, I just can't justify spending full price on this perfume when there are so many other fragrances I want. All I am grateful for is that I picked it up cheap as the bottle is definitely cute.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

We got this as the shop didn't stock Angel Schlesser and they brought out the big book of families and reported this scent to be in the same category. It was nice and probably works well for the unobtrusive male. The original Angel Schlesser doesn't do it for me either... I quite like the bottle design. It's practical with the flip top for travelling. I bought this for another friend who reported that he didn't enjoy the intial smell - too much like walking into a chemist... but the heart was quite enjoyable.

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

10 years ago my rose scent of choice was True Love by Elizabeth Arden. I gave up accords after that while in pursuit of the magical cocktails that could evoke fantastical memories and situations. Therefore I was surprised when, while looking at Paul Smith's Story, I decided to sample Rose. I purchased Rose and Marc Jacobs Essence at the same time, which speaks volumes about the change in attitude of a woman who usually wears Escada Magnetism and Angel Schlesser [oriental edition... yes, homme!]. Rose is delicate, not simple and miles ahead of True Love. Read the story of how it was created on the Paul Smith website. They use ScentTrek, which uses scent analyzing technology to replicate the smell. Other notes in this perfume are magnolia, Turkish rose, green tea and violets, musk and cedar.

nthny's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Patchouli is a favorite ingredient of mine without a doubt, but I don't consider this a patchouli fragrance necessarily. That is, I guess, by the name, it would be hard for someone to imagine what this fragrance will be like. Patchouli as an ingredient brings many other fragrances to mind such as Borneo 1834, Givenchy Gentleman, Patchouli Leaves, or Real Patchouly among others. But I don't see Luxe: Patchouli belonging in that group... Where I do see it belonging is with the immortelle fragrances which I love so much including Sables, Eau Noir, and I suppose I'll include the over the top and slightly messy Fougere Bengale. Ok, so in this case the sensation is fenugreek and not immortelle, but the sensation is similar -- the golden, richness that is like being surrounded by a thick syrup, dark ambery golden brown in color, and very very warm but with fenugreek, the sensation is more on the side of sweet hay.

So yes, the patchouli is there, always. But it so well blended that it adds a hue to every other ingredient rather than sitting on top of the composition supported by the other notes. To my nose, the fenugreek sensation (that syrup mixed with curry and hay, sprinkled with a .05 mm layer, just the smallest hint of a dusting of anise) is the star, and it paints a picture in my mind of a flowing river of golden syrup with ribbons of purple and green silk (the green is the leafy patchouli sensation, the purple, the curried anise impression). The great thing about this is that it's all countered by some real grit... a wonderful earthy, woody, herbal texture that ends up being enveloped by the dense, dark, syrupy sweet curried elements of the fragrance and brings it into perfect balance.

The luxe nature of Luxe: Patchouli comes from the opulence of textures and sensations. There isn't a bright, whimsical, crisp or lightly textured moment in the fragrance journey, which incidentally lasts a full day. That said, there is nothing unbalanced, aloof, or over-the-top about it either. It's a baroque painting: dark, rich hues of brown, gold, dark, earthy greens, rich dark reds and purples and so in a way, that to me explains this uber luxurious feel. It's tone is gothic yet modern.

23 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2009)

jenson's avatar

India India

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

monkeymanmatt's review is spot on "It's figgy, rummy, coconutty and cosily woody" thts it;. if u like obessesion night, boss selections kinda scents..thn this would find home in ur wardrobe, easy

Anthony87's avatar

Larrikin for Men by Mount Romance

Very similar to Egoiste but without the heavy rose component, and a bit longer lasting than the reformulted Egoiste. Basically, rose, sandalwood, 'spices' and vanilla. I received this as a present for my 21st and was very impressed with it; it still has the rose notes of the original Egoiste but muted down and with leather thrown into the mix. For the price, its excellent. Great sillage and 4-6 hours longevity. Hard to find outside of Australia but its worth the look!

SirSlarty's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Fresh but like water is fresh. This is a water woody amber that's peppered. Turns a bit soapy towards the end. It's nice but would I get it? Not really.

argogos's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Very nice. I think it's best attribute is the well balanced blend. The Patchouli is both obvious and subtle. Is that possible? Well apparently it is. The cedarwood and vanilla mix surprisingly well to me. I was expecting something more more of an opening zing and smokey drydown but it is actually pretty consistent throughout. I haven't experienced the weakness that others mentioned. The grass seems to be the unifying element and blends so nicely with each individual note that, for me, the journey is a bit like :
    soft woody grass with a hint of neroli/floral
    soft woody grass with a hint of cedar
    soft woody grass with a hint of vanilla
    It has a Guerlinade quality to it as well. It feels very gentlemanly and classic and maintains a fresh quality without being soapy or citrus heavy. Whether there is any "modernity" to it or not, I can't really say. It feels quite traditional to me; like it was created in the 1920s or '30s. Frankly, that works just fine for me.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Silver Shadow Private by Davidoff

Am a great lover of Silver Shadow by Davidoff. Was so keen and excited for the debut of its new fragrance "Silver Shadow Private" (SSP).

Yesterday! While shopping at the bookstore my wife sighted the corner where sales girls of a perfume shop were giving a test drive of SSP to shoppers. I forgot the books and went directly to the spot for testing it over my skin, first snuff and i throw my hand towards my wife to smell the fragrance... "wow" was the shortest compliment we both could say. So, as i said i "was" excited... I instantly went up to the shop and bought a 3.4oz of this lovely scent.

Its simply marvelous and its first time my wife forced me to buy some fragrance.. truly "irresistible" and i bet its sort of a stick-to-skin type fragrance... long lasting with a good silage but not very intense. Very nice citrusy opening in combination with the spicy notes of cardamom. Heart becomes bit floral but maintains deep masculinity until its dried down to the base notes of Musk & Leather...

There are 2 noses behind this fragrance Jacques Huclier (A*Men Pure Coffee, B*Men, Ice*Man) / Calice Becker (Beyond Paradist, J'Adore), IMO it could be their best MEN fragrance composition.

Highly recommended for a romantic wear even intimate romantic wear and i bet you wont get disappointed.

Goldaline's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

This was my first Diptyque fragrance and I love it. It reminds me of the smell of orange groves at the height of summer. It gives me a psychological lift at any time of the year. It's nice to layer this fragrance with the shower gel and shampoo. The Oyedo candle is also fantastic!

Sokkou's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Don't let these guys fool you if you're in the market for a cologne that women will find enticing. It has a smooth, sexy feel to it, and possesses many of the notes that women tend to lean towards finding attractive, just look at the pyramid!. Best of the Allure set, as I find the original to be too spicy and sweet in the wrong manner, it just feels too stuffy and heavy. Blanche is too lemony in the top without the longevity I demand from my cologne choices, it almost seems like a blander Sport without the sexiness.

This beauty just utterly captivates me, and never fails to garner me a compliment, almost every single time I wear it. I just absolutely love the consutrction, quality, the aura I feel when I wear it. It honestly bolsters my confidence to wear, because I am in olfactory bliss myself, and I know its very pleasing to those around me.

The way this fragrance opens with an almost creamy, sharp citrus with a slight aquatic tinge is a perfect impression of a top not to me. It then descends further to reveal a spicy, masculine pepper and delicate, yet alluring neroli note. The sink from the heart to the base is a delicious tonka bean, a gorgeous, masculine combination of cedar, vetiver, and amber. And to cap it all off, a clean and sexual musk lurks behind it all, lingering until you wash it off. The sillage is also quite prominent, although I think the intensity tires ones nose quickly, so becomes close to the skin to ourself, but is definately noticable around you. It honestly fills the room with scent when you first spray it.

I don't get how so many can just write it off as mediocre, or 'just another aquatic'. I've found spraying more than one spray in an area or spraying too close to the skin, ruins the fragrance entirely and turns it into a synthetic, heavy, thick, muddled mess. But to each his own, and this is my grail.

23 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2009)

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This fragrance really surprised me, is one of the best I ´d tried lately. Woody,vetiver and cedar with a continous bitter orange note. Clean but also complex, Terre d´Hermes have all to be a new classic. Great masculine scent,

dvaughn2005's avatar

Black Suede by Avon

I smelled this at a flea market right after receiving a sample of a sample of Hugo's newest fragrance and to me they smell exactly the same. I don't understand why because Hugos was supposed to be a sport fragrance and this is a "black" fragrance. Maybe im going crazy

Max1mu51's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

I think I would say that I prefer this to Black Diamond, however neither really strike me as a must purchase cologne. I like the energy and playfulness of this cologne but the powder is really what draws me back (I can't stand to be on the verge of sneezing all day long). Canali clearly have there quality formulas, longevity and sillage never seem to be a problem. I could easily give this a thumbs up if they would just get rid of that pesky powder.

Max1mu51's avatar

Black Diamond by Canali

Not bad. Not my favorite, but not bad. I must commend this cologne on its longevity. It's been on my skin for two hours now, and has not broken away at all. A cross between Joop! pour homme, and the Canali Men. I would say I prefer Canali Men, but both have much to offer. though I don't think I would add either to my collection. Black Diamond is Iess sweet, more mature, very italian. Canali Men is more accented around the pineapple, a bit younger and more energetic, but also has that powdery finish. (I personally can't stand the baby powder notes in many of the upscale colognes, this may be the reason as to why I can't give this one a thumbs up.)