Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Max1mu51's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

A much better choice than the original, I'm not sure what it was but the original allure is so cloying and headache inducing. I really tried hard to like it twice, (my wife really likes allure!!!!) and I couldn't help but getting a headache, and cavity because of it's sweetness. Well I then tried Vera Wang for men, and it seems to be very similar without all the aditional headache inducing sweetness. But I digress this is a review for the Blanche edition. Blanch really surprised me, fun, energetic, citric, and zesty. I clearly get the pepper but I think there may be just a touch of cinamon in there too. I like it.

paul577's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I find this to be a very comfortable and comforting fragrance to wear, perhaps reflected in the fact that I have used it for 35& years. Even now it gives a lift that I have not found with any other fragrance, except for a now out-of-production Ungaro. Eau Sauvage is one of only a handful of true classics

CYoung234's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I am pretty new here, but so far, Terre D'Hermes is one of my two favorite frags. The other one so far is Encre Noire. The things I like about TDH: On me, it is a very distinctive scent - I cannot remember smelling anything like it. I like the longevity, and I never get tired of smelling it. It is also light enough that I can wear it at the office. I do not personally like scents that are too musky, and TDH is good in this regard; nice and fresh smelling. So, thumbs up!

loren's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Neiges by Lise Watier

i do agree with the review of Inessa but the only problem is its staying power...it does smells good but only for an hour or two..maybe because it doesn't match my body chemistry..too sad.

fountaingirl's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Oh sad! I *almost* love this, it is almost leathery perfection. It goes on well, and starts to get spicy and leathery and yum and then POOF. Literally within 5-10 minutes it starts to fade. I don't want to trail a waft of silage behind me but I do want to smell something! *pout* I really wanted to love this too.

If I can figure out the magic way to make it 'show up' without having to mix it with something else (because I want THIS SMELL, just for longer than ten minutes) then I am all over it. But as it stands, I can't give it a thumb's up. Poo.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

I am not normally impressed by a fragrance that sounds like a battery, or indeed one whose bottle looks like a nerdy thermos flask, but it was refreshing,light and floral nonetheless. Despite not really reacting with my rather dry skin very well, it does smell quite sophisticated. My only complaint really is the marketing and the rather disappointing lack of evolution in the dry down phase. It never really goes anywhere, and fades into blandness quite swiftly. I can see Kenzo selling this by the shed-load at Christmas, but I cannot see any reason why anyone would go out and purchase this and use it regularly. A triumph of marketing of substance.

Ignatius N*6's avatar

Fendi (original) by Fendi

I remember as child smelling this on my Godmother. For the sake of scentiment I purchased it at a grocery store, and jokingly spritzed it on. Eventually I began seriously wearing it, despite the fact that it is a women's perfume, and really does "smell like an expensive fur coat" (as described by Fendi). I received a few compliments for it (once from a man at the gym, who seemed to think I had exceedingly good taste...) It was also my signature fragrance while I vacationed in Brazil. I have no idea how or if I pulled it off.

Fendi's original perfume is a rich and elaborate fragrance, based in Patchouli, geranium, tobacco, spices, honey, etc., etc. The top notes are jarring and I do not like them--sharply floral. The middle notes sometimes reacted funny with my chemistry and smelled putrid--I preferred to wear it on clothing rather than have it mix with my man-oils. The basenotes, with the noticeable presence of patchouli, are what really attract me to the fragrance. But for me, as a male, it is not worth waiting for them to develop! I have since bought a patchouli cologne that spares me from walking around in the voluminous gowns, lustrious floral and mink robes of Fendi's original.

23 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2009)

cja75's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

I love this stuff. To me it is a perfect blend of spice and sweet. There is a little of everything in it. Its not very strong but I'm not sure that all frags should be. It doesn't last very long as far as distance goes but you can smell it on your skin for quite a while which is what I like. Smelling good without trying too hard like guys who soak themselves in cologne. This will definitely be a fixture in my rotation.

cja75's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

This one is just ok for me. On first spray it smells kind of sweet really good actually but on me after about 10 minutes or so it smells kind of like soap. Not bad but not good either. I have gotten a few compliments but I don't love it.

Il Bacio by Borghese

Moderation and distance... that's all I'm saying. Grandma in church, but a non-denominational service. In May....... Maybe earlier for Easter. That's it! Easter.

Halston 101 by Halston

Cedar.... I loved it...... Very strong and commanding! It smelled like a rich hamster's mansion.... in the woods. (It made me sneeze, though... every time I wore it.)

Royal Delight by Creed

Really strong and long lasting. Smells expensive. Very feminine. Even as a gay guy - I can barely carry it off. (But I do!)

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Beer sloshed on the sleeve of a sweatshirt washed with too much fabric softener. (I wouldn't buy it... but I'd gladly accept it as a gift..... from Ricky Martin!)

Crave by Calvin Klein

Too quickly green....then settles down a bit to something with a subtle note of more, but different green.... and soapy.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

At first I thought it smelled like a tanning salon.... then I started to like it. What happened? (I don't know.) Lime, coconut and pencils. I wear it to the gym - with apprehension. If someone walks by and sniffs the air - I pretend it's the woman on the Life Cycle next to me.

CologneMania's avatar

Style In Play by Lacoste

a fruity, clean, daytime scent. a little sweeter than lacoste essential, but definitely more comfortable to wear.

CologneMania's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

funny, thought i'd left a review for this one. but anyways, this is probably my signature scent right now. a great, sweet smelling fragrance. could easily be boxed into the unisex category. almost has a vanilla coke meets grape soda scent, with a hint of tobacco tossed into the mix for good measure. i know that probably reads out quite unappealing, but it's actually a lovely combination of distinct aromas. definitely one of a kind. goes on smooth and dries down even smoother. highly recommend if you're looking for something new to add to your collection.

23 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2009)

Saxon Plum's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

My first review will be this classic. LIke the smell of anything addictive, be it human residue, male or female. this reminds me of neither. It is however captivating and fresh, like a huge bar of soap that just got shoved up your nose ,at first sniff mind you, but it then slows,or does it speed up to a thicker bar of soap that reveals much to the mind.I would call it a sophisticated smell thats doesn't play games ,This ones very addictive to my nose and I simply love it, one of my favorites.

Depeche Mike's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Being a huge fan of La Male I decided to spray this on right away without even smelling it first on a card when it came to our shop. Sadly it smells a bit like 2nd hand cd stores and rubber mats. I realize people say that you've gotta wait a bit for it to smell nice on you (up to 2 hours from some people) but I can't really spray cologne on while I'm sleeping to really give this a proper test. Really disappointed and feel it's unworthy of the name.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

I like Straight to Heaven. It is a fun scent to smell and also has an ethereal "through the mist" quality to it that is fantastic. I rewrote this review because the recent versions of this fragrance emphasize the light musk in the base more than patchouli which is what I got from the first release of STH. Patchouli is still in there too, but it is camouflaged behind the white musk aspect and the combination of patchouli and musk imparts a clean incandescence to the base - kind of heavenly in a way. Straight out of the bottle I smell rum spiced with coconut and vanilla. A heavenly boozy rum drink is what this perfume smells like to me. I like the fun loving aspect of it and the alcohol note burns off quickly. The patchouli, rosewood and light musk insures the overall impression of incense and heavenly aroma. I can not imagine how anyone would not like this fragrance, but I guess we are all different. To me it is a beauty!

23 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

JaimeB's avatar

Nuit de Noël by Caron

A very lovely, very intriguing woody floral-oriental from 1922 by Ernest Daltroff, founding "nose" of the house of Caron. This is a chypre in structure, with a citrus top and oakmoss in the base, but in an oriental base note with sandalwood and vanilla. The heart notes are rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, orris root, and precious woods; the "woods" here may include some things we might usually call spices, notably cinnamon. The balance of the floral notes in the heart is exquisite, with just enough orris root to soften and blur the slight sharpness of the ylang-ylang, yet without making the scent in the least powdery. This is a real classic, and in spite of the floral nature of the heart, not something particularly feminine; the general tone of Nuit de Noël is not very different from, say, PdN New York. This is a real classic, timeless in the original formulation; even the EdP is full and generous, round and redolent. Even if you never wear it, you must smell this to get a reference base for the woody floral-oriental as high art.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Chrome by Azzaro

It's so nineties, and I bet that this one must have been groundbreaking back in 1996, as it has, as previously remarked, strong similarities with lots of CK male fragrances from the same period. Maybe too watery and ozonic for my taste, yet some aromatic notes, combined with fruity undertones just make it the perfect casual scent, with that certain extra that makes this scent rise above the mass-market simplicity of (even designer and niche) casual scents. If the androgynous touches would be less developed and with more emphasis on spices and uncommon essences (maybe, but not necessarily, woods, herbs and the list may go on) this fragrance might have been something highly refined and extremely arty- but then again, one single note might change the whole mixture, with all the good and the bad and thus even annul that comfy, lofty 90's feeling.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Described by many of my female friends as the ultimate "seduction in a bottle"- fragrance, as THE flawless olfactory artwork, I was slightly surprised to find out that this scent was not that groundbreaking as I expected. Still, it was highly sensual, yet also distinguished and inoffensive, but a slight bit to flowery for what I consider to be a truly complex female scent. The sweetness seems to take over too much of the notes and it's also not as "dark" as some might suggest. Nevertheless, it's a safe and quite inspired choice for the female wearer ready to detach herself from the generic, commonplace trends dominating the fragrance world and trying to make a mature, dignified and stylish impression.

Lady_in_Black's avatar

Frankfurt Kitchen by Social Creatures

The juice in the bottle is a pleasant dark amber colour and promises olfactory delights. However, I didn't expect what I smelled at all! To my nose. it starts with cherry liqueur, very reminiscent of Kirschwasser...slowly, it glides into dried raisins soaked in alcohol. I had high hopes for the osmanthus note, but alas, it is completely lost in this strong boozy stage. When the scent eventually dries down, I smell a base reminding me of PotL, I could swear I'm smelling woods, incense, and a slight nuance of almond. I think there's a good amount of natural components in this fragrance, especially the middle stage smells somewhat "herbal" in the background. Concentration is remarkable and longevity is very good.
    But IMO, nothing to write home about

Manuel's avatar

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

OMG! I think this may now be a discontinued fragrance.
    It wasn't at any of the usual pharmacies and I ended up driving all over town, in vain, trying to find a replacement bottle.
    Chaps opens with a comforting, sweet and powdery accord layered over stark botanicals, viceral sweaty musk, dry leather and a long sandalwood drydown. A freakin' brilliant fragrance that oozes rugged masculinity.
    I have seen Chaps receive plenty of bad press on other sites, and I think this is a result of 'fragrance elitists' letting the western-stylized name and bottle evoke their own negative imagery. Their minds are muddled before the first sniff!
    Chaps sits proudly on my shelf alongside the Lutens, Guerlains, and Carons.

24 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

Manuel's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ah, Sarrasins! The moment I received a sample of this fragrance, I immediately sought out a full bell jar (and nearly threw my checking account into the negative as a result!)
    This fragrance IS nocturnal jasmine.
    When I was in my teens my parents had jasmine growing over the trellises in their front yard. In the early summer months, all throughout the night, the fragrance of all those tiny white flowers wandered into every open window of the house. All the memories of teenage angst, young-dumb puppy love and small-world confusion were constantly intertwined with the haunting onslaught of mysterious perfume that crept from the jasmine vines on those long, sultry nights. This is Sarrasins.
    Immature, raw and unchecked longing - a white night.

tvlampboy's avatar

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Easily one of the very best early Nineties frags. (You can really classify this one among Eighties power frags, truth be told.)

Gigli starts off very fresh and somewhat coniferous, but soon dries into a wonderful medley of spices, sandalwood and tobacco. This is a light and clean tobacco, by the way, not the ball-sweat "stank" stuff of Polo nor the pipe tobacco stuff of The Dreamer.

Other reviewers have been QUITE correct in asserting that this is not, though, a frag for a) twinksters who want the latest "fresh aquatic" frag, nor b) really for anyone much under 30.

Wear this one with confidence and marvel at its versatility.

carlos-uk's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

My first experience of 212 was so memorable I can tell you where I was, what I was doing and who was wearing it. I was in the Midlands having been dispatched by my company to do some recruitment. I met up with one of the Regional Managers who was there that day to help me with interviews. It was my first trip to the new Bull Ring in Birmingham. Whilst it is my home city I was not pleased to be back as I frankly don't like the place and moved away years ago vowing I would never return.All day long there was this smell that sent me spinning but I didn't want to ask what it was at risk of creating a bit of an uncomfortable situation.

Fast forward to today, it's Christmas Eve and I've just been shopping for some last minute gifts. Saw 212 in a box with a free watch for a bargain so I thought, what the hell? Got it home, opened it up and took the lid off.

There it was, that smell!

It's taken me almost 5 years to discover what it is and I am smitten! I think it's just fantastic. I've never been a fan of sweet scents and I think 212 is perhaps the arch-nemesis to Le Male by Gaultier. I can't stand stand Le Male, I often smell it wafting past me, massively over applied. 212 however, sweet though it is, is the right kind of sweetness to this nose. I think it's heaven and whilst I doubt it smells anything like New York, what I do know is that this is a gift I don't want to give away!

I shall be buying myself some in the New Year having finally discovered what 'that' smell was all those years ago that left me in a semi-hypnotic trance.

Clemmie's avatar

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

I think it's the 'smell of the 80s' that appeals to me about this one, actually! It smells of summer holidays to me, and I love the combination of floral/fruit/wood in this. It just got warmer and more sensual on my skin, to the point that when the sample had finally worn off, I just wished I'd bought a full bottle. It's on my 'to buy' list.