Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Driven Black by Derek Jeter

TOP NOTES: Blood Orange
    MIDDLE NOTES: Bergamot, Mandarin, and Saffron
    BASE NOTES: Cedar, Vetiver, and Tamboti Wood

According to the fragrance pyrimid on the avon website, there should be alot citrus, I don't get too much. I get plenty of powder, not annoying just not what I like. Wood is very light and I detect no vetiver at all. In most cases I can agree with Sir. Slarty on colognes, however this one was a no go for me. I'm all about finding cheap colognes if they are quality. Try regular driven a much better cologne, and there is citrus in in.

-MAX

SatinMaster's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I tried this frag once, and let me tell you, I got constant compliments from the female persuasion! at first, it starts out like candy, then it mellowed out on my skin and I was sold on it! A prego woman craving sweets had her nose on my neck begging me to tell her what was I wearing. This is an instant "panty-dropper" when out clubbing. However, a classmate of mine tried it also but was just a TOUCH liberal with his application. He wound up offending everyone in Homeroom and going home with multiple hornet stings. So gentlemen I warn you, MODERATION is KEY with this scent.

Thumbs up for me because I always get compliments from the women!!!

tuffpup29's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

I first smelt this when it came out and have to say I hated it then! I thought it was far to old for me and just smelt wrong.

Recently though I was trying another fragrance (can't remember what it was!) and It had a smell of leather to it and i loved that leather not, but not the rest of it!

I was then reminded again of this scent on here and was luckily able to get a decently priced one on ebay (risky but luckily I have a real one)

I think that now that I am beginning to appreciate different fragrances I can see the beauty of this and absolutely love it! I have only wore it twice and have already had loads of complements (Even the 3 year olds that I teach love the smell of it and have commented!)

sanggol's avatar

Aoud Blossom by Montale

Aoud Blossom opens with a blast of Aoud, citrus and flowers. After about 30 minutes (on my skin), the Aoud steps back and the flowers, primarily tuberose and gardenia, come to the foreground. It is at this point, that Aoud Blossom begins to smell like Fracas with a additional Aoud note. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Let me just say that I am not a fan of Fracas. It's too sweet and too linear for my tastes. With Aoud Blossom, the classic "white floral" fragrance is transformed into a fresh and delicate floral oriental. A nice choice for every day wear.

sanggol's avatar

Aoud Flowers by Montale

This is neither the ashy rose of Black Oud nor the stately rose of Aoud Queen Roses. Aoud Flowers is bright mix of honeyed rose and geranium balanced with exotic wood notes and dark Aoud. Like jenson, I find that the Aoud note quickly dissipates leaving mainly "polished wood notes" and rose. This fragrance has incredible longevity and lovely sillage.

Aoud Flowers is bright and dark, sweet and peppery. From the initial spray through the creamy dry down, Aoud Flowers is a study in contrasts that I find irresistible.

Renngrrl's avatar

Aoud Damascus by Montale

A pretty old school rose scent that I just can't warm to. The initial blast is pretty powerful, lots of damask rose which is not a bad thing. An hour later, the deep rose got very powdery on me with little of the spice (frankincense) tossed in. I've worked with fresh and dried safflower so I know the smell and I couldn't pick up the safflower at any point. It reminded me of the old perfumers workshop "tea rose" that I used to own in the late 70s. I'm giving it a neutral because the silliage and longevity are decent and it's certainly not a bad perfume but if I want a dark rose, I'd rather splurge on a bottle of C&S #88 or SL's Fumerie Turque.

New San Antonio Rose's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

All I can smell is bug spray. Like the exterminator was just here. For four hours straight, in the pure parfum concentration. Please don't let this stop you from trying from trying this classic scent. But if you do smell bug spray or any other weirdness, try Guerlain's Liu. It's a beautiful floral aldehyde that's not from the House of Chanel. Not that I'm hating! Cuir de Russie is beautiful. Just not No. 5. Not to me, anyway.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I enjoy the scent of this classic. I know with all the comparisons to GIT, which is going to be in my wardrobe soon enough, I cannot wait to put them side by side. As it stands though this fragrance, though very synthetic, never fails to lift my mood. It's sort of like Curve. Yeah, I know, I mentioned two of the most popular and over worn fragrances in history but it's true. In either case, I enjoy it and that's all that matters.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I enjoyed my time with Curve, but yeah, there is nothing really redeeming enough for me to keep it in my wardrobe. Maybe if I find it basically for free it might make it's way back, since I like the scent, but not at full price. Still, I have to give it the thumbs up since it makes me perk up when I smell it and the same for women.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

My mother bought a bottle of this a couple of years ago for my 55 year old father.....I personally think it was a poor decision on her part, but whatever. I tried it one day. It's ok. Very clean, very fruity, a winning combination with the ladies. The scent stayed on my clothes even after washing them, so it's got some lasting power and can fill the room with it's scent. Overall, I'm neutral about it though. Maybe I'll revisit it someday.

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is just garbage. The original Curve at least smells decent and women like it. Even women don't seem to like this garbage. Essentially, I can find not one thing redeeming about this scent. I regret this purchase. Perhaps that's why I've gone through 2 bottles of OS to 1/3rd bottle of this. Now I know better though.

Inkeri's avatar

Finland Finland

Tea Rose by Body Shop

I really loved this scent in my twenties...And some people loved it on me (it almost made them crazy...!!!) To my surprise some people started to sniffle around me and asked if I had painted something because there was the smell of turpentine around me. At times I could catch that smell too, and later I had to give this scent away.

GustavoPinho's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

Feels really refreshing when I spray it on. Like shij421 said, it smells a lot like the Swiss Army Original (the opening of it), but freshier and less sweet. Also, when Cool Water Frozen dries down, it doesn't change as much as Swiss Army, which in about two minutes becomes much sweeter.
    Longevity ain't excellent, but not bad as well. Even though after a while you can no longer fell it, other can. One of my favorite fresh fragrances, and with a great price as well.

missylee's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

New to this - first post
    Tasty! are my first thoughts. Very strong vanilla notes from top to base. Smokey and powdery and slightly floral. I bought this frag online before trying - as soon as i tried it i fell in love! Quite unique, a very warm and comforting scent. I gave myself a spray before sleep. I felt like i was floating in ice cream clouds... - warning -overuse and you'll smell of Christmas pudding and rum butter. Best uses, cool summer days or warm summer nights IMO. Great sillage and longlivety(5-8hours), decent price, keen to get Flower/Oriental next!

Hema's avatar

Joop! Femme by Joop!

I have had three different people ask me what Im wearing -thats a compliment in itself. Its a deep, dark, incense scent...and powerful. It also has a certain aniseed originality that I havent experienced from other oriental scents and this is what makes it stand out. The only other scent that I could compare this to is Midnight Poison by Dior -I would say it is like a softer, more 'friendly', perhaps more mainstream cousin to Joop! Femme.

Hema's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

When I first smelt this scent, I knew it was a winner because it was like finding oneself seated in the centre of an orange blossom; it has an other-worldly quality which I think you only usually get when you're touching and enjoying the actual flower in real life. I love the way it brought images of white flowers on naked skin to mind. It has an added softness to the original scent of orange blossoms which makes this very feminine. Absolutely stunning, I wore it on my wedding day.

PbodyGT's avatar

L by Lolita Lempicka

I'm am incredibly picky when it comes to perfumes, and I'm easily sickened by overly floral, stinging-ly sweet fragrances. After I found DKNY cashmere mist, (which smells incredibly close to fresh clean laundry with very warm undertones when it fades,) I thought I would never find another perfume I liked, until I found this. L de Lolita Lempicka is fresh with spicey, floral scents, without overkill. Within the next two minutes of wearing, it has already transformed into a warm mixture of oriental spice and vanilla, and after 15 to 20 minutes, it fades to a soft powdery scent. It does fall on the sweeter side of perfumes, very warm, but beachy. At first I thought I would only wear this in the summer, but the warmth of the bass notes is complimentary to winter season perfumes. The scent lasts all day long, and with two sprays, I cannot smell it on me (because I am used to it) but the scent follows me, and is very well recieved. It is never overbearing. All of my guy-friends have asked me what it is, telling me they are drawn to the scent, one even called it "delicious." Do not be fooled, the "vanilla" undertone is very true to the bean itself, there is nothing artificial about the vanilla scent itself in this perfume, which sets it apart from other vanilla based perfumes, which I believe tend to stink with imitation tendencies. It's as though the extract itself was added. If you like the regular Lolita Lempicka, you may not like this, as I find the regular one way too sweet, and overloaded with vanilla. I'm am generally a fan of musks, and my mom's Jovan ambergris oil, and this perfume reminds me of that kind of warmth, with woody undertones to calm the vanilla.

sionebev's avatar

Tova by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills

Thank you sooooo much for a beautiful fragrance. Absolutly lurve this

Romance by Ralph Lauren

Well, my body chemistry didn't turn it, which is saying a lot. But, I don't get the fuss over this perfume. My co-workers love it so I tried it. It starts out way to floral for my liking and, on the drydown, becomes very antiseptic. It smelled like drugstore aftershave. Certainly not horrible, but much, much less than all the hype.

Chocolat by Il Profumo

This is one of my favorite perfumes (haven't tried Angel yet though). It is cocoa that is not overly chocolate. It is deep and spicy that mellows well. It is expensive and I wish I could find some other scent that I loved as well. So far, I haven't found it.

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

After this scent dries down it is loamy and rich with a sweet undertone like a meadow after a spring shower. It is absolutely brilliant!

However, as you spray it on, before it dries, the smell is gag-inducing. It smells like long-buried, rotten potatoes that have been unearthed by crazed zombies - absolutely horrible...

Since it is water based, the good part of the scent doesn't last long. The pain and suffering of the 1st notes are not worth the hour of wear time.

Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

This smells like a frosty fall day, christmas dinner, and cloves all wrapped up - a truly unique perfume. It smells overly spicy at first but mellows to a really complex yummy flavor. I wanted so badly to love this perfume, but after about 15 minutes, it smelled like potatoes! Darn my weird chemistry...

Even though it didn't work on me, I would reccomend this as a must try.

mikey_p's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

A very unisex herbal, anisic twist on Angel. Much better than the masculine. Fabulous!!

mikey_p's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

The meanest, dryest and most unpalatable fragrance I have ever encountered. To wear this hideous concoction is to experience a Japanese style endurance test. I felt as though the smelling strip was telling me to F*ck Off.

H pour Homme by Gemey Paris

The history on this is complicated. My bottle says “H pour Homme / Fougère Royale” by DiParco. It also has Houbigant printed on the bottle. My research indicates that Houbigant created a subsidiary company called Chéramy in 1924, which reformed under the name Diparco in 1956. In 1959 Houbigant relaunched its famous Fougère Royale, which had been discontinued. Then in 1963 Diparco released its own version of Fougère Royale in an EDC 90 degree concentration. Likely the Diparco version was an attempt to present a less expensive, mass-market version of the more exclusive Houbigant product. In 1977 Gemey amalgamated with Diparco and L’Oreal, and released a version of Fougère Royale in 80 degree concentration. My bottle is Diparco and 90 degree, therefore it is from the 1963-1975 era. I say all of the above to situate this product within its larger framework, and to provide a foundation for analysis.

On its own merits, the Diparco is an excellent scent. Despite being a vintage bottle, the scent is lively and quite enjoyable. It has the classic, old-school fougère scent. It starts with a very perky and fresh lavender note which is dry, aromatic and very well done. The scent opens up beautifully with light florals and moss. It settles into a delightful soapy moss base. Despite its age, it has good longevity. I also have this in aftershave, at 38 degree concentration. Predictably the AS is lighter than the EDC, but it is still very pleasant and in the same camp.

I am fortunate to own a 1960 era Houbigant Fougère Royale, and thus I can comment on the difference between the two versions. The Houbigant version has an incredible depth and a haunting, earthy quality that is not in the Diparco. Clearly there is a qualitative difference between the two scents. But as I said, the Diparco is a charming scent in its own right.

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

Well, skin chemistry reactions are certainly interesting! On me, this has a gorgeous neroli opening. There are lovely orange blossom notes, of both fruit and flowers. It then develops an airy, light green note from the incense and laurel. This phase is quite interesting. The vanilla is faint and not cloying. The orange blossom note has great longevity, and I enjoyed it for many hours. I guess this is definitely a scent that each person has to try. I have a sensitive sniffer, and I can find no odd-ball components here.

Li Altarelli by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

Lemon, galbanum, lavender, floral violet, marine notes, immortelle.
    This has a beautiful citrus-green opening. The lemon notes are remarkable for their purity and strength. This is really attractive. There is a bit of lavender. Violet leaves, and also the immortelle flower, give a wonderful earthy note which at times is exactly like rich, dark soil! The marine note is quite enjoyable. It is not ozonic. It has a salty tangy quality. With the lemon, herbs and earth notes at play, this scent is definitely a marvellous garrigue-style experience. I like it a lot.

Crave by Calvin Klein

purchased this on vacation (I only brough polo on a cruise... which is not a great hot weather scent- especially for the younger crowd)

I enjoyed it, it was nice but there are better orange scents out there. Boss in motion is bit more spicy, but is probably the better choice. I will probably pick up another bottle if i find it at a good price, but mainly for nostalgic reasons rather than really wanting it. The bottle was both the kick and flaw for me. I loved the bottle, but i brought it on another vacation and it broke in my suitcase. yes, my suitcase smelled great but the smell is long gone and so is my fragrance :/

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

Starts out great with the bright lime and fairly sweet, but not sugary sweet. I prefer this over the somewhat similar scent dkny be delicious. Its a unisex scent, which starts out for men but ends as a womans fragrance. The bright lime green is lovely, and wearable by men or women. I bought this after my first test at a carsons, loving it. I wore it for about a month but had to stop. Once this fragrance drys down to its female 'perfume" base, its not for guys. I had Men stopping me asking me either 1. if i was wearing perfume, or 2. why I was wearing womens perfume.

Great fragrance, 4 stars, but more for women than unisex. I gave it to my girlfriend and my only complaint now is that she tends to overdo it at times.

try and get a sample of this, as I did not notice the perfume dry down at first. It may just be my skin chemistry after reading all these other reviews of people saying its a masculine scent.... but it still smells the same on my gf & i love that I can still smell this amazing scent (on her ;)

Hilfiger Est. 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger

received multiple samples of this from department stores this past weekend. Tried it in store, did really wow me, tried the sample tonight and its nothing special. it has something to it at first, pushing me to find out what it is, but it looses all its zang after about 20 mins at most and goes to a standard clean scent. up close, it smells like it has a nice "red" center but its surrounded by the norm. buy only at a bargain ~ $10- 20$. if the heart of it was all encompassing, i wouild pick up a bottle, but as of now, im not impressed.