Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Grottola's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Burning wood, burning leaves. Smokey with incense - takes me back to my childhood, very warming and enjoyable.

24 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men by Aveda

My original review for this was a negative review with an accidental thumbs up, haha.

Anyway, this is not a scent for everyone, but all I can say is that it is very natural smelling and refreshing, a nice escape from the synthetic-smelling scents of today. If you have ever smelled or used the Aveda Men products, then this is basically that scent, bottled. If you haven't, well, let's say you've walked into an Aveda salon before or smelled their products or used them, then you'll have a basic idea of this scent, but it's nice. This fragrance is made with more natural oils, or concentrated with more of them, so it lasts a long time on my skin. One of my favorite fragrances, actually - this one really grew on me.

24 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren

Got this as a gift when it came out, but never really wore it.

It's just too sweet for me. The scent has this light, sticky, lingering, sweetness that I find unappealing because of how it reminds me of the gummi bear bodysplash I wore when I was twelve.

It's a good teenager fragrance, but I think that smelling of candy as an adult woman is giving off the wrong message. For me anyway.

Update: Unable to even promote this srcubber to my bathroom shelf, I tried to make some use of it by spraying it on my dog when he came inside after rolling in something smelly. The result was the incongruous miasma of a sketchy summer carnival - cotton candy layered over swampy wet dog. Not recommended.

24 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2011)

Quarry's avatar

Fleur de Figuier by Molinard

From the vial ... love at first sniff: Enthralled, charmed, smitten--soft greenery, fig-sweetened. Something goes a little wrong once the juice hits my skin though. Our combined chemistry generates an almond note and the green disappears. Awww. So close to ecstacy. I'm going to smell this vial over and over and over and over.

Quarry's avatar

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Evidence that I am a wise woman with a poor nose:

For the first 20 minutes of wearing Baghari, I smell sour lead--yes, concentrated citric acid poured over a dirty, old bar of lead from my father's machine shop. Where others find orange blossoms and neroli, I suffer acetic stench. Gratefully, this passage ends in 20 minutes, and the faintest trail of powder scents the air, and that's the end of the performance.

So, you see, my nose is quite poor. However, I remain a citizen of Basenotes because the companionship here is the finest to be found, and I'd be a fool to leave the company of such exceptional souls.

Now, if you really want to know how Baghari smells, read on. Vibert is both more accurate and poetic than I.

The Squire's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

Wow!! Immediately after putting this sample vial on my neck and wrist I noticed something peculiar...The uncanny scent of Michael for Men by Michael Kors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It must be the Tobacco and the Suede and the juniper berries which gives it that "Pipe Tobacco -suede sweet drydown!!!!." Smells very mascualine indeed, but again...if you like this you would love Michael for Men too. Vintage is a mimic IMHO, but a 2006 version or update of Michael.

I would wear this cologne in the Winter or Fall weather definately, might be a bit "Heavy" sweet-suedy for the summer months. I like it, Regular Varitos as well. Vintage is DEFINATELY intriguing and I'm a person who is definately NOT fond of tobacco in my cologne, this ones good.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

U by Ungaro for Him by Ungaro

Another fragrance from a million other. Simple, common, cheap, very cheap smelling. I'm pretty sure that Ungaro will never release anything nearly as good as their fabulous trilogy of the early 90's. That's a pity.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I have no interest in the new, "modern" fragrances. They are all very common and cheap smelling. In my opinion, the 80's and early 90's were the most glorious years of fragrance industry. That was the era of many all-time classics, as well as some of the finest niche creations. I have yet to find a fragrance released in the new millennium that makes my world shake. Gucci is another big, iconic name that has fallen from its pedestal with the release of this... insult. It doesn't even deserve to be reviewed.

pasha's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

By far the cheapest smelling fragrance I ever had the displeasure of testing. It is truly insufferable.

Pick up something better please. Anything else will do.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Kouros Eau D'Ete by Yves Saint Laurent

Not bad scent at all...."Kouros Light" is other perfect name for this fragance. Clean and fresh but with an interesting aura.
    Longevity and sillage are not very good on my skin. The original Kouros is better.

lizzie_j's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

I love the coconut in this. Not overpowering or cloying or suntan lotion-like. Freshly grated coconut from the market. The rest of the fragrance is a delight as well. Creamy and complex, spicy and sensual. VERY sexy. Full bottle worthy...for my SO!

lizzie_j's avatar

Coeur de Noisette by Sinfonia di Note

This is a very interesting gourmand. First, it has a hazelnut note which blows in on the top notes, and stays through the base. I LOVE hazelnuts...the smell and taste, even the feel when I rub them freshly roasted between my palms to remove the peel! It's an unusual note in a perfume, I believe, and in Coeur de Noisette it's just right. There is no hint of artificial sweetness or enhancement other than the supporting notes. This fragrance is rather cool and a bit powdery at first (for the first hour or so), then it warms on the skin and the spices and woods start to appear. Still, the mixture maintains a tepid, ever so slightly metholated character throughout. The coconut is barely discernable on me, which is good because I don't care for heavy coconut (a la suntan oil), though I love it when it's done with a light touch as it is here.
    Just Beautiful!

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Appeared very modern to me, very unusual rose/pachouli and long lasting to . Turin has given the almost identical womens perfume made (very probably) by the same perfumer, Aromatic Elixir a 5 , so count Aramis 900 as a Turin 5 , it deserves it.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I was shocked when I first sprayed this. I was expecting Bmen's strength but with chocolate and patchouli. This stuff is nowhere near as strong as pple make it out to be, unless I got a defective bottle. It smells great and my girlfriend loves it. Amen last a decent amount of time on me nothing like Bmen though, and its not cloying, and does not give me headaches. I'm glad I picked this one up and I think pple just give this bad reviews cause its so popular.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Yum this cologne smells wonderful and everyone Always ask me what I'm wearing. Sometimes my gf will lay on me just to smell this. When I first sprayed it I was unsure very very sweet lemon gumdrops like a lemon candy shop or something. Once it dries down its just so tastey definitely jump on this one should be in everyones wardrobe.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Great Cologne I've been wanting this one for awhile but never bought it cause its way too popular, but for Christmas I got 2 bottles go figure. This cologne smells great and last allllllllll day so be ready to make a commitment when spraying. My girlfriend said it smells like Bvlgari black but its much stronger than Bvlgari. I'd say everyone must own this one cause the ladies love it so much.

Canali Men by Canali

At first spray I was disappointed I bought this cause it smells identical to Bvlgari's signature cologne which gives me migraines! After about 20 mins it turned into pure sex appeal even I couldn't stop smelling myself. Smells so fresh reminds me of fresh new clothes, a convertible in the summer and a bangin hottie sitting next to me. Grab some you won't be dissapointed and its cheap too.

bbBD's avatar

Lann-Ael by Lostmarc'h

What we've got here is essentially a fruit-meringue-cream gourmand. It's sweet but not overbearingly so. There's definitely not much sillage but it's clear this was designed as a skin scent. What starts off as lemony becomes somewhat more apple-like over time. Longevity is decent - a few hours. There's enough vanilla and musk to keep Lann Ael from ever becoming transparent, in which case I'd have been disappointed.

It's tough to judge something like this without knowing what was intended.... if the intent was to create a complex fragrance that tells a story this doesn't make the grade. If the intent was to create a pretty, fun skin scent then it's spot on. I'm a sucker for gourmands hence the thumbs up, but I'll point out this could be a little better - perhaps a little more complex, even for what it is.

bbBD's avatar

Gaiac 10 by Le Labo

The best woody/incense fragrance I've ever experienced by far, Gaiac 10 is very subtle and does not project much sillage, but its beauty is in the subtlety and complexity, not its volume. It is fairly linear and is primarily a balance between gaiac wood and olibanum, the entire composition being slightly musky. This is a parfum and just a touch of fragrance (it's definitely a little oily) lasted 12-16 hours. As the first reviewer alluded, this is really a skin scent, and this may not jive with people when they look at the price tag, but I know if I had a few hundred bucks to spend and this (and if I'm ever in Tokyo, the only place it's available), I most certainly would.

tom-gran's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Haunting, definitely figurative, chewy, persuasive, mysterious, rich, shady, dewy!
    The rose scent is hidden in a lush dark tangle of vegetation at the edge of a pool... But it in no way it reminds of the "warmth" of a stagnant water, with putrid scents: it is also very fresh, dynamic and sparkling! Suitable for summer lazyness as much as to reheat the cold winter heart with memories of sunny days... I think I'm feeling more and more enough brave to wear it!

25 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2010)

Dhr. DeLuxe's avatar

Nobile by Gucci

This was Alchemy, Renaissance, Umberto Eco in a bottle. I still miss it dearly...
    The smells of red seal laquer, parchment, a monastery herb garden, clean linen, sundried stone, freshly baked bread. A fantastic fragrance! Intricate, sophisticated, classic-with-a-punch, very pleasant and polite. Self-aware but elegant.
    *sigh*

Calèche by Hermès

Smells like Chanel No. 5 and urine.... which isn't always such a bad thing.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Oh it's just awful and lasts forever. I'm sure that it could be used to make something smell better.....

Touch for Men by Burberry

I really did not like the opening blast of "something" rancid. Can't put my finger on it. Almost smells vegetable in nature. Mildly pleasant after about an hour - but who has an hour to wait for the mystery stench to evaporate.

Escentric 02 by Escentric Molecules

Way too weak to me! Not unpleasant -but either is Old Spice. I can't see sampling any of the other "Molecules" after this one.

Ici by Coty

This is a very fruity fragrance. I smell a lot of vanilla and chocolate. It's very sweet too and makes me think of velvet. It smells good alone, sort of dark and luscious but in a foodie sort of way.

The longer I leave it on the more bitter it gets. I don't believe this is a good fragrance on me.

I've used it in the past as an air freshener. It makes the bathroom smell good.

Night Blooming Jasmine by Jovan

My mother had a habit of handing off old perfumes to me whenever she got sick of them. I would play with some of them as a kid but when you're eight, you really only like perfume that smells like jellybeans. As a result, I have a 20 year old 3/4 full bottle of this discontinued fragrance in my bathroom drawer.

I sprayed this on my right wrist and the opening was VERY sweet - sort of caramelly and I turned my nose up at it.

The drydown is better. There is only a hint of that sweetness left in the mostly powdery floral scent, which is still very strong even after 20 years. (My mother believes that it has mellowed since then. It was too much jasmine for her.) I believe it has some amber in it because it has a warmth to it that's not in pure floral scents and perhaps a light musk and some patchouli for an earthy spicyness.

I believe I could get away with wearing it as long as I apply lightly. It's still a little too sugary, but it's interesting. Even more so by the fact that few other women will be wearing this. ;-)

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

I found a tiny bottle of this in my bathroom and was convinced that it was a sample size of "white diamonds" for some reason.

It turned out to be this classic scent.

My first impression of this is that it is soap. Not "soapy" but SOAP. Like someone crushed a bar of dial soap and distilled into an alcoholic juice in a spray bottle. The rank alcoholic smell turned me off at first, but I decided to rub it in and let it settle for a bit.

The sent is subtle and powdery, and the longer I let it settle, the less I dislike it. It's clean and unoffensive smelling. The powderyness of it is gentle without being sweet and the longer it stays on the warmer and spicier it gets on my skin. There is none of that sticky sweetness that often comes out in more modern perfumes.

I understand the nostalgia of this scent. I like trying old scents because they rouse the history buff in me by letting me "smell" the time period, and this one definitely evokes the powdery cleanliness of the ideal 1950's woman - young, powdery and fresh. What's nice about this scent is that it smells more soft and comforting than cloying and claustrophobic - the other side of the gentle fifties newelywed woman coin.

I'm not sure if I would wear this. Perhaps if I want to seem *particularly* innocent or I could see mysefl wearing it to church on Easter or to another spring occasion.

I'm glad the fifties are long gone and hope they stay that way, but I'm also glad I got to try this scent.

amber's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

subtle pleasant, wouldn't call it sexy (although my miss thought it was), clean and sophisticated are my associations, could wear it both at work and in a bar, stays close to the skin and has medium staying power. It reminds me somehow of Pi by Givenchi only much much better! Just got a sample and tried it on twice, it's not cheap but i can imagine buying it because of my girlfriend appreciating it so much.

MsLileli's avatar

Lucky Number 6 by Lucky Brand

I really like this scent and I guess it's partially because I'll always associate with a person I dearly loved. I bought a full EDP bottle in the summer of 2007 based on a scented strip on a magazine. Risky, I know, but unlike with Carolina Herrera earlier (yuck!) it worked. Lucky Number 6 on me is very clean and very fresh but without sharpness that most other such scents develop. This soft, soapy cleanliness makes for a most interesting interplay between coolness and warmth within the fragrance - it's like the topnotes are cool, but once you get close enough, you are enveloped in something warm, almost smiling. It's not a sexy, seductive or mature scent, and thankfully not very sweet either; it's more young and scrubbed and serene with a hint of quiet sophistication. And I did wear it a lot when I loved a person whom I have since lost... and this gives it an aura of wistful tenderness, which is my very personal association with this fragrance.