Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Wazzle's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

Probably one of my favourite smells!
    I know I know its socially quite dubious and unacceptable to admit to wearing or even liking Brut but I have always liked this fragrance.
    It is clean, a mix of cleverly combined scents which is quite masculine and energising.
    It does not seem as strong as the Brut from the 70s and I must admit I rather miss the old shaped bottle in both glass with medallion or the plastic version, the design was iconic and I wish they had kept it rather than the current one.
    So few people wear Brut these days as other supposedly more chic smells are so affordable these days but I find many quite samey and uninspiring.
    The only complaint I have (other than the bottle) is that only the Aftershave or Splash On seem to be available in UK shops and these do not have much staying power on the skin (my skin) and I would much rather have an eau de toilette version.
    After years of trying to find a fragrance I like as much as Brut I have finally succumbed to adding it to my fragrance repertoire and its currently my favourite item in my bathroom cabinet

Wazzle's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Wonderful,powerful, intrigueing, mesmerising, intense and with wonderful staying power....all in the most beautiful bottle design Ive ever seen.
    I hope they always make this and that I always have a bottle in my bathroom

G_B's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The first I owned and No. 1 perfume in my collection. One of the weirdest comments I had was when a colleague commented the scent smelled of wine! The fresh and sharp top notes perk me up whilst dressing to go to work. I decided on this after spraying a couple of fragrances before a flight and smelling them again after the flight. Will definitely get another bottle after the present one finishes.

G_B's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I have tried to like this fragrance ever since one of my guy friends commented that this is the only fragrance he will ever use, and he had a number of 'successes' wearing it. So I have been trying this everytime I get into a perfume shop but have been put off with the rather artificial and awkward lemon top note and the rather 'stale' water after wearing the scent for a while. I recently had another oppoturnity to purchase it and I agonised over the decision for a good hour. In the end I bought Davidoff Echo which was priced the same. In my opinion, Echo, though synthetic smelling as well, has fresher top notes and a nice aquatic end.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence

Dark strength mixed with gentle soft edges . . . Kolnisch Juchten by Regence is a quintessential masculine fragrance of the strong silent type. You get a dark birch tar leather scent wafting through a warm boot polish darkness. The fragrance stays very dry and smokey leather in a bed of gentle light softtness. The soft sweetness in the base of KJ coming from a bit of amber or vanilla? Kolnish Juchten compares favoroubly to a group of very dark serious masculine scents - Lonestar Memories, Le Labo Patchouli 24, Bois d' Ombrie and even Armani Prive Bois d' Encens. The darkness of this group comes by way of frankincense, birch tar, or patchouli or some combination of the above. But, very unlike these dark masculines Kolnish Jucten has a light softness surrounding the dark center that causes it to feel soft and warm through its strength. Amber is undoubtedly the base that softens the birch leather. The softness is enhanced also by the controlled use of the birch tar elements - it is strong and soft at the same time. This one is a keeper!

The fragrance is reportedly a 300 year old formula that is now being produced by a company called Regence and is available from Jacqueline Parfumerie in San Francisco - 415-981-0858. A great review of this one is on Perfume Smellinthings at - http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot.com/2006/02/perfume-review-parfums-regence.html.

Desir De Nature by Yves Rocher

Désir de Nature is a charming little fragrance. It’s simple and straightforward, light and delicate: clean, green, floral, and sweet. It opens so refreshingly citrus and minty, and then moves to the florals of the middle with a quiet lily of the valley being the dominant note in the quiet accord. The base is cedar – light and appropriately aromatic – with some remaining floral sweetness. It’s a light scent with a light, soft sillage and quite poor longevity, as one would expect from such an innocent and lovely presentation.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The opening is incredible. It is soft, airy, aromatic, and beautiful… and I have a difficult time telling what it is. Someone said root beer, and I believe that that is fairly close to the right description – a smooth, non-sweet, near root beer, possibly anise, richness underscored by a gentle, incognito myrrh. It gradually – very gradually – shifts to lose its implied rooty sweetness to take on the more salient characteristics of myrrh. Then the heart presents a soft but astringent resinousness that could only be a refined, silky smooth myrrh. It is subtle and stays close as a wonderfully transparent and resinous skin scent. Much later a quiet oriental base shows itself with its amber, honey, and musk, and, retaining some of the original resin, holds for an hour or two. This is truly a unique fragrance, not really my idea of an Oriental, but it’s amazing. La Myrrhe performs close to my skin with minimal sillage and almost adequate longevity. Thumbs way, way up. (Edit of 26 December 2008 review)

26 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher

Bitter opening… but I like it… it has both substance and contentiousness. It is a “green mandarin” and doesn’t stay bitter for very long. Almost immediately the gentle incense moves into the mandarin opening, and I think the myrrh is there, also. It’s nicely done: I get some bit of a smooth resin combined with a decidedly smooth amber / spice, but I wouldn’t call it very resinous. It’s an enjoyable accord… rather neutral in impact, comfortable if not edgy. The vanilla from the base adds an additional sweetness along with the sweetness of the amber. There are supposed to be sandalwood and patchouli in the base, and although I can sense some woody texture there, there’s not enough to really identify. Voile d’Ambre is a very good fragrance… It is surely worthy of a testing by an amber lover.

Molecule 02 by Escentric Molecules

At first I could barely smell Molecule 02, but by the third time I sampled it, it came across quite clearly: what is present is a discreet skin scent that I can’t really categorize except that it is rather like an gentle but excellent, slightly aromatic wood background note: It smells most like walnut or possibly a tamed rosewood. It has excellent longevity. It’s quite beautiful and I truly enjoy it for what it is, but I wouldn’t buy it because it is overpriced for what it delivers.

Escentric 02 by Escentric Molecules

Apparently I don’t smell as much of this one as others do especially in the opening. I get a too-subtle woody cedar note and a ghost of a biting vetiver. There may or may not be a floral in there, but I couldn’t swear to it either way. It just doesn’t come through very strongly to me at first, but what I get, I rather enjoy. It’s an unusual scent to my nose… primarily cedary, but with a slightly alien tinge to it. Some say it smells like gin and tonic, and I think that, while the vetiver could pass for tonic, the cedar smells quite a bit like cedar and not very much like juniper. Once I recognize the cedar note as primary, it becomes tenacious, and it dominates for the rest of the time the fragrance lasts. Escentric 02 has a strange kind of sillage: a sort of “now you smell it, now you don’t…” off and on sillage that lasts for a few hours... it has good longevity. As pleasant as the fragrance is, I find it more of a curiosity than a potential purchase. But I will admit that it is an urbane and interesting – intriguing even – fragrance.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Pick your spice… make it cinnamon or make it ginger. I agree that Five O’Clock Au Gingembre is similar to Rousse, which has a similar background to the background in Five O’Clock Au Gingembre. I like this one better because the ginger retains its bright and refreshing character without developing that scary schizophrenic second personality as the cinnamon in Rousse does. The ginger is very nicely done – this is as nice as I’ve seen ginger done. The honey is well done, too, and complements the ginger. The patchouli and cocoa confused me at first, but it wasn’t long before I accepted them, and realized that they act as pivotal elements in the fragrance – they form an excellent counterpoint to the ginger and honey, but the fact that I had to reason this out hints at a lack of smoothness in the movement. The drydown is excellent: a bite of bitter chocolate and a patchouli with a smoky aura giving it a deeper, more ethereal personality than patchouli usually presents. The drydown seems lacking in longevity on my dry skin. I like this fragrance, but that’s as far as I can take it: It smells very nice, it performs well on my skin, but it is a bit rough in its assembly, and there’s something missing that would otherwise make it compelling… I can’t find the love.

guedoguedo's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Quite possibly the most awful fragrance ive ever smelled. Whoever said mold put it well.

JaimeB's avatar

Santal Impérial by Creed

Quite old-school, not very strong, with a somewhat limited sillage. This is a very straightforward sandalwood, with a little bergamot in the top and some other woody and coumarin notes in the base, plus the ever-present Creed signature ambergris. Not great on longevity, this scent is nevertheless redolent of aristocracy and conservative notions of style. If you like solid and reliable scents that send a message of (perhaps slightly smug) self-possession and self-regard, this is for you. The other possibility is that you like something very obviously old-fashioned; simple, yet brilliant in its simplicity; and satisfyingly (if fleetingly) beautiful; then this is for you, too. Personally, I think I'll take it on the latter terms.

omniray's avatar

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

lovely floral-spicy base, really intimate and attractive.. sure a better step to be delecious series... i hope the mens version soon.

Quarry's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

I've long suspected there were notes that escaped my detection, and here's further proof. Parfum Sacre? What parfum? I don't smell anything. Hmmm. Must need to apply more generously. [Tips vial and coats back of hand, leaving a shiny pool larger than a silver dollar.] If I put my nose within one-half inch of my skin and concentrate, I can catch a hint of something, but nothing distinct enough to describe it. I know I've been given the properly labeled juice--it's the edp, courtesy of Twolf. C'est mon nez, c'est la vie.

zztopp's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

Notes:
    Top: Spearmint, Bergamot
    Middle: Peppermint, green notes
    Base: Patchouli, Vanilla, Cistus labdanum, Cashmere wood

Roadster is a modern aromatic "mineral" fougere by in-house nose Mathilde Laurent. A fougere without lavender, Roadster is an exercise in precise engineering of a minty fresh note, but the composition as a whole leaves a bland taste in my mouth.

As already mentioned, 2/3rds of Roadster is an impressive display of a well engineered mint blast which foregoes any overly minty mentholy connotations and presents the fresh and cool aspects of mint without any frothy toothpaste flashbacks.This effect is constructed by spearheading (pun intended) Roadster via a spearmint note (which is sweeter and less minty than peppermint) ..this flows into the heart notes accompanied by a green galbanum like note, and then the peppermint takes over. Peppermint has a higher menthol content than spearmint, and at this point in Roadsters evolution, the accompanying green notes tame it from the get go. The spearmint note is long gone by then, but the streamlined peppermint stretches the sterile coolness of the composition well into the drydown. With all that said, the first half of Roadster is a bright, cool, non-generic minty green accord.

Then there's the second half. The drydown is a disappointing and mediocre dry woods display with a droplet of vanilla ..the dryness mainly due to a forced labdanum note. The generic gene of Roadster is in full flow here, and you can almost see the $$$s being funelled to the bottle designer. Ironically, for all of its attempts early on to avoid the "generic designer juice" label, Roadsters backend could actually be amplified by the spicy-floral accord doing the rounds on the various designer releases. But you know what, it doesn't matter. Roadsters pleasing minty top notes will draw in your average dudes who just want to smell good ..and they will stay for the generic drydown that they have loved all these years. Mission accomplished.

Rating: 6.5/10.0

purplebird7's avatar

Parure by Guerlain

I tried an old bottle of Parure, and I have to admit, I don't smell all of the notes that are supposed to be included. The plum is particularly weak, so I'm not getting the correct impression of a fruity Chypre. However, the oakmoss is particularly elegant in this sample. The fragrance starts off with a pinch of citrus and then a nice, dry combination of oakmoss and vetiver. A gentle leather comes in, but that is where the development ceases; from here on out, it merely fades in a pretty manner. This sample smells decidedly vintage, so I couldn't see it succeeding in today's market, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Indeed, the quality of the Guerlain ingredients shines. This old bottle of Parure is better than many brand-new samples I have tried.

Poivre Rose / Pink Pepper by Body Shop

This is great! Fabulous for the price. I would expect this kind of quality from a much more expensive fragrance. I have the perfume oil. It is so warm and spicy.

Sunset Heat by Escada

I like it. Sometimes, I admit it~ I want to smell like a tropical drink. I prefer Rockin' Rio to this, but Sunset Heat is definitely not bad on hot summer days... or on days it's so cold you would like to dream you're on a beach! The top notes are sharp; musky drydown is soft.

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

I will just add that this fragrance reminds me of the Cliffs of Moher along the southwest coast of Ireland. Beautiful place. This fragrance takes me back, if only for a couple of hours. (I find the sillage on this is better than most Demeters.)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I just don't understand all of the vitriol here. I mean, either you like this one (and I do) or you don't. I think many hate it because they've either blasted it on in copious amounts or have been around others who've done the same. When worn like that, it's perfectly vile. I'll grant you that.

Worn in moderation, though, it's a gorgeous Oriental. (Although teflondog's right in calling it a possible gourmand.) Gorgeous use of vanilla and tonka here, friends. Some of the greatest longevity and sillage out there, too. Damn good buy if you wear it as it ought to be worn. And yes, it can be legalized chemical warfare if worn otherwise.

Rocabar by Hermès

Far more wearable than Eau d'Hermes, far less dated than the original Equipage (a classic though it is) and far less spicy than Bel Ami (my personal fave from this house).

A creamy, almost gourmand take on woods and spices. Very approachable, elegant frag with modest sillage and superb longevity.

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Longevity's a bit of an issue, yes, but I for one really enjoy this powdery, musky lime concoction. It's not my normal cup of tea, no, but I'm awfully impressed with it considering its low price tag and wide availability. There is certainly a strong "cocktail" vibe here, with the coconut and lime notes (and, to a lesser extent, the "tequila" notes) clearly distinguishable

A good, casual choice for the under 25 crowd.

scentsitivity's avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

Potent rose opening with aoud in the background, a deeper rose than in Aoud Damascus or Black Aoud. The development is a bit puzzling to me. This scent morphs into the fruity-spiciness of Royal Aoud, then back to more rose, more fruity/spicy – some odd oscillation (which I find to be intriguing; others may find it to be irritating). My interpretation is this is intended to be Montale’s feminine ‘royal’ counterpart to Royal Aoud. Thinking of it that way made me look at it more favorably (and I do feel both Queen Roses and Royal Aoud are easily wearable by both sexes). Not one I think I will ever buy (I would go for the Royal Aoud first), but still with merit.

CherokeeGirl's avatar

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

This scent was a surprise for me. Opens as pear/fruit but not in a Body Spray way - more in a delicate Springtime breeze sort of way. Designed with a young girl in mind I find that it makes me feel feminine and princess-like even at my 45 years of age. I applied the lotion - small amount really...just a bit up both arms and a dab where one would normally apply perfume. Seemed hardly enough scent for anyone to take notice but myself. My husband walked past me and wanted to know what smelled so wonderful. Well now, there are very FEW scents that he comments on at all. This one is a keeper for him. He also likes the Eau d'hadrien on me - says it smells "like me"....whatever that really means - but my daughter said the very same thing (and she wasn't around to hear her daddy say that). Seems as though the body cream retains its fragrance longer then both the EDT or EDP so from an investment standpoint I would purchase the body cream first. The shower gel is a refreshing treat as well. That in mind - the cream and the bath gel can be difficult to find. OH, one more thing - don't buy from discounters unless they have a good return policy - so far, when I purchase from discounters I get rancid Annick Goutals - not sure why. The scent of the body cream must hang around a while too - at the end of the day yesterday my husband was still telling me that I smelled so good. (always nice to hear)

CherokeeGirl's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Some say this is the perfect summer scent - I say it works year round. In the Winter it will remind you of warmer carefree and sunny days. In the Summer it will never overwhelm you - it is sweet without being candy and lemon without making you feel like you are wearing a cleaning solvent. As refreshing as lemonade and it melts into your skin creating a personal fragrance that I really cannot find the words to describe. My husband told me this scent smelled like me - in that he could not give me a specific reason or note that struck him as suiting my personality. It just turned into something that made him think of me. My daughter on a separate occasion said the very same thing (and she did not hear him say it....she lives out of state). This is said to be a unisex scent however, my husband said he thought it was too feminine for that. Chemistry being chemistry though, I am sure it would work on a man by taking on the personality of the wearer as most scents do.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

This is a very nice fragrance longevity is good received many compliments another winner from Versace.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

WOW What a wonderful fragrance its a winner for me smells great from beginning to end longevity is good a thumbs up.

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Very nice fragrance I expected Average at best but to my surprise I was wrong, nice scent longevity is good a thumbs up.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

You love it or you don't. A very thick, luscious, sweet scent. Sweet burned sugar, caramel, vanilla, patchouli all mixed together.

7/10 but only in winter and on appropriate occasions.