Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Definatelty an original fragance but it does still have the Creed down characteristics. I can smell GIT in there somewhere. I like this one but I'm not sure I could wear it everyday - I feel a little overwhelmed by the strong blackcurrant note. It really is very fruity. The inky/petrol note does seem to work very well to temper the fruit and makes SWM smell like nothing else I've ever tried. Nothing to complain about here - quality ingredients blended in an original way to produce an interesting perfume.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I wear this as business cologne - it somehow gives me a feeling of authority. I think that's because so many modern fragrances are sweet and cloying on the dry drown and either make the wearer appear metrosexual or like they have just emerged from the locker room.

The sharpness of this vetiver coupled with its spicey tobacco give this a clean cut sillage that doesn't resort to vanilla to make it palletable. In a world of McDonalds, Pepsi, KFC and Pizza Hut etc this EDT gives you a sugar free scent experience with sophistication and style without being dumbed down for the younger nose.

Himalaya by Creed

I so wanted to love Himalaya but I found it rather gerneric - especially after having tested SWM, OS and GIT. Sure, it is fresh and envigorating but it doesn't have anything that makes me (or other people) sit up and notice it. Perhaps that's not a bad thing for casual wear when you just want to smell "nice" - but I can't see why I'd drop £110 on a bottle of this when there are so many other more interesting Creed's to be had.

Original Santal by Creed

I really like this one. Perhaps a little "old fashioned" but that is no bad thing. It opens with an immediate fresh and masculine citrus zing accompanied by the bite of peppery cinnamon. The sweetness of vanilla and the warmth of sandalwood come forward during the drydown which I think make this a great fragrance for a cold winter's day.

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Mandy Aftel, in her wonderful book about the making and history of perfume "Essence and Alchemy", explains the experience of 'synaesthesia', as it relates, historically, in creative works, to the more 'romantic' side of perfume-appreciation. This experience is the impetus of writers and artists -- the hyper-sensitive and associative beasts they are – to write about smells as often as they do! I should clarify, this is not 'synaesthesia' in the clinical, DSM-V sense; rather,as it used less formally, in its literal, Greek definition, to refer to a sort of 'dance' between the senses, a collision of associative, sensory 'realms'... to a synthesis of aesthetic experience, in short. The claim of a synaesthetic, perceptual event not only indicates that multiple senses have been engaged, but also implies that one has been impressed by far more evocative ‘power’ than typical, logical 'associations' – and all upon the presentation of a *distinct* (only one) aesthetic impetus.

The "hearing" of sad violins upon viewing a Russain painting is one example. While probably informed by historical reference and invoked by an individual's "compartments" of knowledge, or personal 'inner landscape' of associations, this is neither an altogether clinical experience of synesthesia nor simply a dry "association". And it is quite common for us humans to have these dramatic, ‘experiential’ perceptions of the aesthetic.

Moreover, our sense of smell, in particular, is supremely capable of launching synaesthetic experiences. Perhaps it is because we have a dismal, olfactive 'vocabulary', which is perhaps something of a blessing. As our brains, in the 'contemplation' of evocative smells, are incited to interpret and "speak" a whole and beautiful language, unfettered by linguistic binds. And as I consider this, it occurs to me that this is perhaps half of the reason for my fascination with scent!

Finally, I am consistently intrigued with the seemingly universal nature of these pan-sensory events. I love to read and hear about other people's associative, synaesthetic experiences so much, as they always seem to 'ring true', to resemble my own experiences in their overall 'feel', and they bring me closer to the 'heart' of a fragrance's aesthetic potential and *artistic* intent. More by far, than say, a dull description of top notes, bass notes zzzzz....

With that in mind, I have been reluctant for a long time to write a review of 'Knowing', as it is possibly the most evocative and synaesthetically-rich "fragrance-experience" I know! And I care so much to impart the redolent, sensual realm it conjures for me, as it is far more than a "'dark' rose chypre" to me!

Therefore, I will attempt to describe 'Knowing', in terms of my associations and consociate inner ‘imagery’. And hopefully it will resonate with and/ or inspire a few.

'Knowing' beckons like
    A tousled, inviting bed, dressed with the most luxuriously-smooth, cream-colored Italian bedding and down comforters,
    Redolent with languorous erotic suggestion,
    Yet soporifically enticing one to inexorable, magical dream states,
    Set in a cavernous room,
    Lit only with a dim black tole lamp,
    Filled with heavy, dark furnishings,
    And warmed by a fire.
    Within a fog-shrouded, Tudor manor, at night.

'Knowing' is like:
    A superficially prim and stoic woman, who is slyly, and selectively seductive.
    At once: poised, ladylike, solitary, magnificent, brooding, and hypnotically alluring.

27 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2010)

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

The best chypre on Earth? Well, I think so. This is a perfect blend of chypric ingredients: not too green, not too woody, not too harsh.
    "Y" has so much character and is so unmistakable. Once you know it, I promise: you will not forget it.

This is what perfume *should* smell like. It smells, to me, like I imagine the best French shops smelled in the mid sixties. It is the definitive French-school fragrance!
    The peach and plum lactones are just the right amount of creaminess, and don't weigh down the soft, cool elegance of this beauty.
    It is at once comforting and austere, sensual and refined.
    I think this one is also very accessible
    to non-appreciators of old-fashioned fragrances. It is very likable and easy on the nose.
    It has *marvelous* sillage. Whenever I wear it, I keep catching little smell "glimpses", and I thinking: "What is that amazing, perfect scent?" And it's me!
    I disagree with other members, that this is an "office scent". That would be a waste. Wear it when you want people to know you have impeccable taste.

27 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2010)

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

Emetic in spray form, thy name is Rumuer.

I know many fragrances that are odd or harsh, but I can fathom someone liking.
    Honestly, I do not understand how this can be considered perfume.
    It's as if someone thought to add a little freshness to deadly concrete solvent, in the way fresh aromas are added to bleach or ammonia, to make them somewhat less horrible.

I am reminded of the cliche of one arriving in heaven to a feast of fine foods, only to discover halfway along that he is in fact eating live vermin and feces, and he is, in fact, in hell. And being punished for his excess.

In my delicious, heavenly exploration of the world of fragrances, this was how the experience of Rumeur struck me. And I couldn't wash it off!

27 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 February, 2010)

liquid1's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A very synthetic fragrance,good for headaches.Only good thing would be a decent woody drydown if you can make it that far

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Organza by Givenchy

This is not the first time I've had to eat my words regarding a perfume I tried years ago. I wasn't into it then. Today it is beautiful; soft and powdery, sweet, spicy, and floral, refined, elegant, and assertive. This one is special. I don't see this as an everyday scent, either. It is also very strong, something that out me off it those years ago, but that I love about it now, that I have learned to fear no sillage!

27 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2009)

Mapletop's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I got my sample of GIT today. It does smell like cool water. It is more floral than coolwater. I can smell the Iris in GIT. I own coolwater and honestly its hard to tell them apart. GIT has more of a floral note and smells more "soapy" than coolwater and definitely lasts longer and the smell doesn't change as much as coolwater does on my skin. I like this cologne but with the price ranges being a hundred dollars or more between two colognes that smell almost identical, it's a no-brainer. GIT it just costs way too much. My girlfriend couldn't tell them apart.

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

I used to own this when I was Twelve. Ahh the memories.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Very spicy and sweet. I like this. I used to own it and bought it again,why? I don't know,maybe the memories. I like it. It is not really masculine though. A girlfriend told me that she would wear something that smelled like that. I still however like it,and will wear it. A distinct smell,but not for everyone.

Façonnable by Façonnable

It'sa nice,Hi FIVVVE. Success. I love this smell and I am addicted to it. I have owned it in the past. Smell it.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Classic. But I think they changed it. I remember this quality that smelled days later. You could smell it on shirts and I loved it. Am I strange? After writing that I feel strange, smelling shirts and all. Anyway. It smells different now and very cheap. Too much powder. It used to have something at the bottom that would linger and was very pleasant to me. I can still smell that but it's very faint. I did however get the bottle for cheap. It was discontinued for awhile. It's an old classic. Why do they mess with the classics?

Yatagan by Caron

I smelled this today ,I thought it would smell different from all the reviews. It smells like a hippy,although it is better than straight patchoulli which I dislike very much,I have heard the latter to be used to cover up the stench of dead things. If you love the smell of pine and campfires than this ones for you.If you are a tad bit strange and want to smell like a pine tree on steroids, heres your winner. I wonder if I would be attracted to a beautiful woman who had not bathed in months and had been heavily doused in Yatagan, it might be lovely? Then again, It might be horrid. I will never know, however I will say that if you wear this one , be proud of it and strong in your conviction,because I can only imagine how loud it is on. It is as strong a scent, as the sword it was named after. Yatagan is Godzilla and our noses,Tokyo.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

All women I have known love this smell. Why, I could not tell you. They dislike many of my other favorites. I like manly and this is but very light. I like to smell ,what I myself, am wearing. This one fades. It is nice but there are better ones. It used to be stronger,but stays close to the skin,,the females can still smell it. Most girls will like it. I am sure of that. I have had tests with me and another man wearing something else. I always won with this one. I won't buy it again though. I want a smell thats as strange as the women who are attracted to it. A safe bet but not my choice.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I bought this. I don't like it anymore,only wore it twice, It smells strange now but I liked it at first. I do like to sniff the bottle at times but I will not wear it, if you spray it on a coat just wait until later, then it smell different and I don't like it. Maybe they used Grandma's footjuice or some funky funk in the recipe. It is pure poop. avoid this combo of poop and I guess the following version of still more poop. Maybe I can pawn this off to a homeless man,but I don't even think that the homeless want to smell like this. Homelessness is no joke, I would never give a homeless person a bottle of Narciso. Donate better things than This to charity,Food,Money and Clothes,but please,no fancy poop cologne. This one's a stinker.

Fanzzzy's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Soft and soothing, ice creamy violet smell... fresh and lovely

Fanzzzy's avatar

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Way too carroty at the beginning. The iris as it develops is also really strong and does not smell fresh, but rather heavy. No comparison at all to the lovely Iris Pallida.

trevinsf's avatar

Encens Chembur by Byredo

At first I was unsure. It did smell a bit market-placey. But it ended up smelling like the ocean. In a good way. I feel like I've been swimming when I catch the scent. (North Cal Pacific for me.) It must be different on each person. Weird. I like it a lot.

copacabana67's avatar

Arden Men - Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden

PLEASE GIVE US BACK THE OLD FRAGRANCE!!!!
    Sandalwood was the best cologne for men in the world. Now is changed and it is a definitive crap!!!
    If anyone knows if it's possible to buy the old one, please let me know.
    I realy miss the old sandalwood. I miss it so much... There's no similar fragrance in the world, isn't it?
    What's happening at Elizabeth Arden? Are they crazy?

naughtynellie's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This was my first 'proper' perfume, bought for me by my Dad and at the time seen as a real step up from the Avon solid sticks! Many years later I was REALLY surprised when my ex advised me to buy it for his Mum at Christmas! Fine for a 13 year old, not so suited to a 65 year old. Cloyingly sweet and simple and can be horribly overpowering.

tmk0625's avatar

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

The new bottles of Indecence are available in stores now for any of you wishing to purchase. It is in a new, boring, bottle. Same perfume. I've seen the old bottles advertised on Ebay for over $100 dollars. I got a new bottle as a Christmas gift. Let me know if anyone is unable to find it in the stores. I am in Michigan.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Havana Reserva by Aramis

I agree with Panda Poacher, Havana Reserva is a concentrated edition of Havana and the differences are miinimal. I will add that this is a good thing because Reserva projects more sillage (so go easy on the trigger boys and girls) and better still, it lasts hours longer.
    I've no idea why but the chemists among us might be able to enlighten us as to why concentrated versions are hard to do well.
    Chanel PM vs Chanel PM Concentree is one example that frequently comes up. To take a far more radical one, there's Eau Sauvage Extreme ( Yuck! ) which smells nothing like the original ES.
    Fortunately, Havana Reserva is one of the happy exceptions.

chatnoir's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Wow! What a complex scent. I was at the local overstock store,and saw Bal A Versailles EDC. I tried a spray, and well, I wasn't impressed. At all. As it settled down, it grew on me. So, I went back and paid my $8, and got a bottle. It smells like a mix of soap and powder, slightly wilted floral arrangements, and musk. It isn't the smell of the ball in full swing, but hours into it, when everyone has stripped off their wraps and gloves, and kicked off their shoes. There is an old-timey decadence to this scent. The more I smell of this, the more I love it. I'd love to try this in a stronger concentration.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Fracas and Chinatown had a love child

Manuel's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Gosh, I've only owned this fragrance for less than twelve hours now, and I'm still patting my own back for such a fine purchase! I smell alot of similarities to Lutens' Cuir Mauresque -alot. I do, however, find Knize Ten so much more satisfying. Not only does it pre-date Cuir Mauresque by eighty some-odd years, it projects well and is so much more affordable. Now that is satisfaction!

omniray's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

i miss this fragance,. need to purchase it soon... lovely semi-spicy with an unique fruity-vanillic base... amazing fragance. the best from hugo boss. "abimanyu" check your words, lacoste ph is released some years after boss bottled..

Stuffman's avatar

Ambre Canelle by Creed

I don't know if perhaps I've sampled too many fragrances today, or if the bottle at the Sak's Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh was off (it wasn't there a month ago and was mostly full, so it probably wasn't), but this was nothing like what I expected it to be.

At first whiff, it seemed to lie somewhere in the generic continuum between Youth Dew and Chanel No. 5, full of powder with no discernible masculinity whatsoever. As the scent dried down, the most prominent note to my nose was rose, overlayed on delicate powder with traces of cinnamon. The ambergris and tonka are noticeable only by a vague smoothness and roundness in the base tying it all together.

I'm disappointed that it's not something I can wear.

But on the other hand, saying that it "lie[s] somewhere in the generic continuum between Youth Dew and Chanel No. 5" is no dig whatsoever- as both are stellar fragrances, and this one in particular lies above any other fragrances between the two. The rose note is beautifully rendered in the way only Creed can do florals, and the delicate, clean powder ties well into the subtle ambergris base. Overall, it's a stunning composition, but I'm afraid many won't take the time to appreciate its subtleties.

zztopp's avatar

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

Notes:
    Top: Eucalyptus
    Middle: Fir needle, Jasmine
    Base: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Myrrh, Vanilla

Here we have another sandalwood fragrance claiming use of the finest essential oils available to man. AOS Sandalwood (AOSS) smells like it does utilize quality essential oils but unfortunately not for the key note of the fragrance: sandalwood. It will leave many sandalwood afficionados checking the label twice: did I just buy a fake AOS off ebay?

I will give credit where its due: AOSS is a unique pairing of mentholated-evergreen notes and sandalwood...in the realm of sandalwood juices, I haven't smelled anything like it. The opening blast of cool & medicinal eucalyptus is invigorating and is immediately followed by the pine-like evergreen "xmas" note of fir needle oil...the quality of ingredients is top notch, and this combo is prevented from searing your nose with their Mount Everest chill by the low voltage warmth of jasmine. This cool, medicinal, mentholated evergreen first half especially works wonders in hot searing weather.

But this blast of North Pole air isn't what you bought this for. You spent the bucks to get some quality wood: sandalwood. The chilly piney afterfrost of the first half is so forceful that it extends all the way into the drydown, overwhelming any semblance of sandalwood that might be contained within. All I get is a microscopic woody molecule which somewhat resembles sandalwood, a watered down vanilla note, and warm balsamic myrrh. If you have any experience with quality sandalwood oils or fragrances, you will know that AOSS isn't it. A misnamed fragrance methinks. Art of Shaving Sandalwood should be renamed Art of Shaving Evergreen or Xmas Holiday. Or Art of Misdirection.

Rating: 6.0/10.0