Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

My son just received a bottle of this, and would like to review it.
    he tells me, "It's the best smelling fragrance that I know of."
    "It would smell great on an adult but is also appropriate for youth."
    Most fragrances that are for younger people have no elegance. They
    are almost always in the super fresh or super sweet category.
    Not this one!

Its heart is a tad like Bvlgari Black, it's lighter, though, and licorice-y.

My son recommend this one for all men and boys.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

A warm an amiable fragrance, that delighted me on every level. The opening salvo was a mixture of wood and leather, but thus moved on with some alacrity. The dry down evoked a sense of cloves and cinammon, and I found this an engaging blend that enchanted for the rest of the day. This is not a spectacular scent, but it could stride into my daily rotation with some confidence. I can see this working best in the months either side of summer when the temperatures are in the middle range

Dunhill London by Dunhill

It is perhaps best to get straight to the point and state that this is a sickly concoction. From the sherbet explosion in the opening wash to the sucrose vanilla dry down, this has nothing to commend it. The only person I can see this appealing to would be a childrens television presenter, or perhaps a clown. My only application for this would be to attract the ants in the summer.

I often bemoan the fact that a fragrance has little longevity, but in this case I would be thankful for it to disappear instantly. What saddens me more is that this should come from the esteemed house of Dunhill

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Fresh Pine and Citrus on the opening wash. Dries down quickly. There is an edge to it and wants to be noticed. A professional would wear this.If it were a garment, it would be a fine shirt with french cuffs and expensive cuff-links.It is a tad oily at first, but it still feels classy. It has a potential for entering my office rotation or for the better social gatherings. Softens and sweetens slightly on dry down, and is very amiable.

liquid1's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

I own the re-issue version.I find Derby a Supremely elegant and wearable scent

karisuma's avatar

Caesars Man by Caesars World

Having read consistently positive online reviews of this cologne, I was uncomfortably shocked by the odor on arrival. One reviewer on Amazon.com described it as "a combination of ocean and fresh summer grass," which I must say is a rather kind way to describe what my first instincts evoked the odor of a shrub of bitter medicinal herbs. Personally, I'm unable to process this odor as anything remotely positive. Yet, since it's so different from the other fragrances in my collection, I will likely keep it and "surprise" people from time to time--and one can only hope it won't be such an unpleasant surprise.

hsama99's avatar

Chloé (new) by Chloé

Sorry but this is a stinker. I just ordered the EDT online b/c of the good reviews. I can't handle it. To be fair, I hate most women's perfumes, but I keep trying to find one I like ( I do like but don't love Clinique Happy In Bloom, and there are handful of men's colognes that I like.) Since EDT is lighter than perfume, I thought that Chloe EDT should be safe. But one waft of Chloe knocked my socks off (not in a good way). Against my better judgement, I put the tiniest bit on just to see if it would somehow magically change to something pleasant. I had to wash my wrist several times and couldn't completely get rid of the smell. The next day...that same spot on my wrist did smell a little nice--but nothing I would want to smell on purpose. I would much rather just smell clean than smell like Chloe. If the EDT is that strong I can't imagine how strong the perfume must be! Its combination of aromas gives me a headache. To me it does not smell clean at all. It smells extremely heavy and just plain stinky--like it is covering up something very offensive. It is a fascinating mystery to me that some people love this while I am repelled. (But I feel the same way about CK Obsession and RL Polo. They are repulsive to me as well.)

ElizabethSimmons's avatar

Valentino (original) by Valentino

Valentino 1977: a lovely sweet fragrance with a strong melon note and floral aroma. It reeks uber sofisticado but without smelling obnoxious like many generic little old lady perfumes with vettiver or oakmoss as their base.

ElizabethSimmons's avatar

Love In White by Creed

Some may use this for office wear but I think it is best suited for going down the aisle of your wedding. Full of white flowers, and purity doves as the bells ring through the chapel, or you can use it in a night club and get hit on by a dozen drunks.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Hopefully this is the original version of 1959!Congratulations to Givenchy that they they dare launching this very unique and special scent being really different from what is launched in general and absolutely not the mainstream!Very decent, discret and sophisticated and even unique vetiver.A gentleman´s choice!I prefer this vetiver instead of guerlain´s because this one is fresh, clean and minimalistic.Thanks god no vanilla !In comparison to guerlain´s vetiver this one is not so warm,not so intense strong and sensual- it is a very clear, a bit harsh and bitter- maybe spicy and herbal vetiver and you never have the impression that it becomes too intense and to dominating! To me it is the best vetiver I have smelled so far!

28 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Chamade by Guerlain

A classic scent from Guerlain with a rich floral palette balanced by green galbanum, spices, and oriental base notes. Looking at the pyramid, one imagines something very rich, perhaps even heavy, but this is blended with a very light hand. The overall impression is ultimately fresh, airy, slightly spicy, and green with a lingering hint of the florals. Good longevity and decent sillage characterize this fragrance. I think most men wouldn't find this impoassible to wear — in the EdT form, at least (on which this review is based).

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Opening was fruity and the kind boyfriend in the house who let me use his skin was not amused. I was surprised not having read the notes and thought it was very fresh and fruit for a unisex fragrance but I was happy with the idea that a woman could easily pull this off.

Later the fruityness takes a backseat but it has a loud voice and is still clearly present, the fragrance is a green, crip herbal with a freshness that you can get when you add mint to things, it's that kind of herbal freshness but it's not peppermint but the effect of it is the same.

It remained rather green well into the drydown and the scent lasted a good 10 hours with one spritz, great longetivity but you have to like it. A fruit herbal green scent. I still have no idea what vetiver smells like though because the grapefruit was very present.

idthornell's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

There are not many things that I hate but this is one of them. I bought a little bottle back in the 80's thinking the test strip reminded me of Rive Gauche. I still have that bottle as a reminder to test, test and test again before buying. Whenever I smell this on someone, I feel like I can taste it for an hour afterward. I am incredulous it is still around!

scentsitivity's avatar

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

This purports to be an aquatic and it does have an aquatic character. It also prominently features cardamom, which strikes me as a dead weight here (it isn’t my favorite note, but it certainly is blended effectively in numerous fragrances). At any rate, I don’t like this one.

fusion's avatar

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

This stuff is actually really nice longevity is really good and for the price you just can't go wrong a thumbs up.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Vetiver Dance smells very dark and damp in the beginning, like mossy vetiver. I'm not sure I want to smell like I have a bunch of grass in my pockets. The drydown is not good on my skin: it ends up being sour and sweaty.

Not Tauer's best, I'd say. Also, a proof that perfumes with a high percentage of 'natural ingredients' are not necessarily better per se. As always, perfumery is a dance between natural and synthetic components, each influencing each other in the olfactory spectrum.

nthny's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A funny story about Dzing! that will eventually turn into a review: I took my L'Artisan samples to my sister's house so we could share them and my nephews were there bouncing off the walls and being silly in general but those children LOVE smelling things... so my sister and I began opening the samples and dabbing, etc, and of course the kids came over and I put Dzing! on my oldest nephew (age six) and explained that it was meant to smell of the circus. My sister, "OH MY GOSH IT DOESSS!!! EWWW! (while laughing)." My nephew, "I SMELL LIKE A HORSE!! I SMELL LIKE A HORSE!!" and then he chased my younger nephew (age three) around forcing him to smell his horse-smelling hand. It all went downhill from there but I digress...

What I personally think Dzing! smells like is the smell of those giant metal permanent markers with the big black wedge tip at the top, mixed with vanilla. It also occurred to me that it is, especially after having it on skin for a while, reminiscent of Bulgari Black but softer and more refined. There's something rubbery and leathery about Dzing! and that's where I think the imagery of animal arises but it's softened so delicately with vanilla that it's hard to call this a monster of an animalic perfume. That said, I'd challenge anyone to have Dzing! in his or her memory banks and pass a horse-drawn carriage and stables and NOT see from where Olivia Jacobetti drew her inspiration. While it doesn't smell exactly like a horse or its living quarters, the idea is there and it would take a real fragrance curmudgeon to not give in to that imagery at least a little bit.

The L'Artisan carded sample says, "A fragrance soft and fierce... Very wild very sweet!" and I think that's a nice way of describing Dzing!, although I don't think there's anything "very" about the fragrance. It's actually kind of mild in its intrigue and uniqueness, perfectly at home in the L'Artisan house of fragrances that rarely, if ever, speak indoors with their outdoor voices.

29 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2009)

jrd4t's avatar

1920 Extreme by Bois 1920

I'm right on board with the previous reviews.. this is a magnificent, complex scent. It stays dry and undoubtedly masculine on my skin. There's a lot going on in it, but it all works perfectly together. The name is a bit misleading as it insinuates that it's an extreme version of Classic which it's hardly even related to.

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

This was my second Annick Goutal purchase and I find it to be an "old-fashioned" type scent, but in a good way. I smell roses and powder but also something else I cannot figure out... The drydown is quite nice and lasts a long time. I don't wear it during the day but to go out.

Habanita by Molinard

I received a sample of this and found myself loving this ambery vanilla scent to be very sophisticated. It lasts a very long time. To me it does not smell as masculine. It's amazing that this complex fragrance from 1921 can still feel seductive and sophisticated today. Makes me feel sexy and elegant, all at once.

Que Viva by Escada

I smell lush mango in Que Viva. It's always been a summer scent for me. Harder to find these days but a lot of fun.

joxer96's avatar

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Diesel Zero Plus has an explosive opening that you'll either hate or love. I love it! Cinnamon, vanilla and spices make it one of my favorite cold weather frags. Things settle down for me after about half an hour with the intense opening turning into a mellow and comforting background of spices. A steal at 16 dollars!

cformosa4's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

I really like this cologne. It's like they took Versace Blue Jeans, made it less sweet, removed what was wrong with it and put it in their bottle.

its very nice -- also very similar to JPG Le Male

I give it props for taking what was already out there and making it better! :)

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Slightly aquatic on application, this fragrance quickly becomes dry and peppery. It is a staid, serious scent- evoking black tea, an old suit, the office of some high offical. Thankfully it eventually lets down its guard, and a sweet menthol (anise?) eases its way in. At this point the fragrance smells wonderful, the scent of a barbershop where men are being shaved. Finally, a gentle, not-too-spicy incense changes places with the pepper, and quietly fades away.

A wonderful, mature scent which stays close to the skin.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On my skin, the chile pepper note in this fragrance is dead on. Duchaufour couldn't have come any closer if he'd used actual Tabasco sauce! Unfortunately, when the chocolate note finally arrives, is a big disappointment. Besides being buried by the chile pepper, this note is the same generically sweet note that passes for chocolate, cookies, almonds etc. in so many gourmands, especially those by Theirry Mugler. Perhaps intentionally, these two notes do not blend, but rather seem to sit one on top of the other, almost in opposition.

A compelling olefactory experiment, but I think the chocolate note could have been done better.

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This fragrance opens with a burst of tangy citrus, followed by the true-to-life scent of orange peel and pulp during dry-down. The slightest hint of sweetness arrives just as the (already very light) fragrance begins to fade. Unfortunately, this sweetness is quite generic, and far from the juicy slice of manderine the scent seems to promise.

Like a real manderine sometimes does, this scent yields disappointment when peeled.

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

This is one of my favourite designer fragrances. I remember trying it when it was released in the early nineties, but couldn't wear it then - I was probably too young for it. It's very feminine - but in a powerful way, this is a scent for women, not girls.

It's very warm, floral oriental scent, yet fresh - probably because of the lovely basil and ivy top notes. The drydown is divine, musk with a hint of vanilla. It is very well balanced and long-lasting, it lasts all day for me, but then I live in a cold climate. I use this one during cold autumn and winter days to heat me up.

I agree on what other reviewers said - this is a classic! The only thing that reveals it to be a 90's scent is the packaging, that could probably use an update - but I hope they never change the juice!

lizzie_j's avatar

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

I think my sample is mislabeled! I don't find this scent weird or even unusual. My nose almost immediately gets the fragrance of a very exclusive, powdery, white bar of soap. Italian, expensive, hand poured, exquisitely scented, and sold in an exclusive department store like Nieman's or Barneys, but soap nonetheless. It's quite beautiful, really, but not my cup of tea.

lizzie_j's avatar

October by Neil Morris Fragrances

A delightful gourmand! This is the scent of my mother's (now my) mincemeat pie, with its raisins, apples, citrus/citron and plethora of spices. I usually don't go for the apple note in fragrances, but this is beautiful - not synthetic or sickly sweet (like that gooey store bought apple pie). As it dries and progresses, the warm gourmand character persists, but the fragrance becomes less like mincemeat, and more like 'caramelized' booze (whatever THAT is!). Finally, the incense, patchouli and myrrh start to make an appearance, though they never become overpowering. This is the smell of winter holidays to me. It's just wonderful and has now gone onto my wishlist as FBW. (This would make a terrific home fragrance or candle, also.)

bbBD's avatar

Vanille Absolu by Montale

I collect, and love, vanilla fragrances. I also love Montale, particularly for the unique accords and creative compositions in so many different fragrances. Montale's Boise Vanille is one of my all time favorite vanillas, so I figured how could I go wrong with a blind buy of Vanille Absolu when I saw it for a steal? Oh well.

If you don't like vanilla fragrances it may seem a bit odd to collect them - after all, it's 'just' vanilla, right? Not exactly. Even though every house has a vanilla fragrance of some sort of straight vanilla fragrance, there is generally something that differentiates them from being just plain-old-vanilla. Fragonard Vanille has a slug of sandalwood. L'Artisan's Vanilia has that candyfloss tinge, Parfumerie Generale Felanilla has a banana wood heart. Dior Addict has orange blossom. There's always something.

Well, this Montale offering is just plain old vanilla. It's hardly different than sniffing, say... vanilla extract for cooking. None of the few other notes (cinnamon, clove, woods) are noticeable, and if they're there from keeping the composition from being too boring there isn't enough of them. Even the saving graces - like good sillage - aren't present (though longevity is good as it is an EdP). I forgive Montale because I do so love Boise Vanille, and from the looks of it Vanilla Extasy is more interesting than Vanille Absolu, but I'd caution even vanilla lovers to take a look at any of the fragrances I've mentioned above.