Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

bbBD's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Chanel's Eau de Cologne is so good, it should essentially be the reference for all traditional colognes, which should then be judged relative to this Chanel version. The citrus is crisp and bracing, the herbal/woody drydown is smooth yet pronounced. I don't seem to have the same longevity problems others experience, with the basenotes persisting 6 hours after application, which isn't great compared to other Exclusifs but is great compared to most traditional colognes, and is certainly significantly better than the other great cologne, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte. Although the fragrances that become references are usually the pioneers, Chanel's is a modern entry that has assimilated the best aspects of many generations' worth of traditional fragrances in this genre to create this classic.

Aznavour's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Very interesting opening with lots of berry and a hint of chocolate, but the middle and drydown is just the sort of faded, generic patchouli.

funnyboy's avatar

Photo by Lagerfeld

Quite boring and soapy.Says to me I am wearing a fragrance but not a distintive one.Good to wear if you are stuck for choice in a morning.Wouldnt wear it for an evening out.My classification would be a casual fragrance.Much prefer the original Lagerfeld

tabbakh's avatar

Terre de Sarment by Frapin

Smells very similar to Joop! to me.

Zhara8's avatar

Enjoy by Jean Patou

ENjoy opens as a generally harmless floral, then hints at a heart of richer florals with fruit, but quickly transitions to a drydown that surprises, in a very bad way.

To preface what I'm about to write, please let me first say that I'm quite the fan of animalic notes, even ones that others consider too rude for modern day consumption. however...

The drydown of ENjoy smells dirty. That's right, I said it - DIRTY. It smells of human sweat, and not in a good, sexy way. It smells of human sweat in a stale, covered-up-with-cheap-deodorant kind of way.

The fruit notes that make Sira des Indies so enjoyable are but a mere hint in the opening of ENjoy, and the floral that comes into play is not distinguished, not memorable. Surely this esteemed house could have done better. The drydown fails altogether, with the stink of synthetic musk, really failing to blend. There is no harmony here.

Now I normally adore the "dirty" scents, with Shalimar being at the top of the list, but this - this is just wrong. Done well, animalic aromas whisper "come hither." ENjoy simply mutters "eeuw. go bathe."

Ah well, as they always say - test first, test first, test first.

29th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2009)

perfaddict's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar!!! Heard about it for decades, bought it for my wife but never even tried it on myself. I will never forget my first try this morning. One word: Heavenly. Shatters my gender biases for good.

Strongly evocative of Habit Rouge which i have been using for over 20 years. Must be the iris and vanilla common to Guerlains. The initial citrus notes stayed for a while then gave in to the warm iris and ambery vanilla drydown.

Shalimar has found a permanent home in my wardrobe.

Many thumbs way way up!

perfaddict's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

A living legend. Old Spice was the start of my exposure to fragrances. My first milestone. My Dad used the aftershave and was the only one he used all the years he was alive. He once said he couldnt imagine anything else he could evr use. Buying gifts for him was easy. I bought him his first cologne - Old Spice. I always sneaked splashes of both aftershave and cologne and thereby learned the art and science of decanting, as well as the differences between aftershave and EDTs. Old Spice will always evoke in me my sweet and happy early years, dad's discipline and unapologetic but great values.

The reformulated version is less spicy but is still very good. Old Spice is testimony to the fact that good quality is not only accessible at a high price. A well blended quality fragrance.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Incanto Charms by Salvatore Ferragamo

Very different from other scents...a floral/ fruity fragrance that smells clean and fresh. I think it is unique and find it invigorating. The beautiful scent lasts and stays the same on me all day. It is light and airy (not overpowering or heavy). The frutiness kinda reminds me of the summer months (perfect for warmer weather). I definately smell passion fruit and honeysuckle with hints of musk and maybe some jasmine? The notes blend together beautifully. It is sweet, but not candy sweet and has sparkling clean scent to it. I love this perfume and I get compliments everytime I wear it. To me, this is an amazing, special scent!

edelzwicker's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

Yesterday, after having sampled many different Creed frags, I purchased my first 4oz of Himalaya. Then, just as I thought that I had found the ideal Creed my wardrobe, the Neiman's Creed rep slipped me a vial of Erolfa. While I am happy with my purchase, I have been kicking myself for having overlooked this one. Erolfa is citrusy, but on me it does something different than the described chord of notes would seem to predict. There is something a bit raw and dirty about it. It's very sensual in a way I can't really put my finger on Two different women in the last two days commented that I smelled sexy while I had it on. It also lasts a lot longer than I ever expected, being that it is citrus and "ozonic" in nature. I am in love with this frag. Now I have to decide which one I want next, MI or Erolfa. I might have to get both.

julybee50's avatar

England England

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Toffee. Then more toffee. More toffee. Then - nothing

's avatar

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

My grandmother gave a bottle of the parfum today. I was so excited, but I cannot seem to like it.
    It smells very much like barbie dolls to me --like girly, waxy, pink, plastic toys. (It smells like Strawberry Shortcake's hair.)
    And while these sort of nostalgic, surprising associations can be fun, this is not fun.
    It smells like it could be a sixth Harajuku Lovers scent.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

The blueprint for a modern cologne appears to be to ensure that the dry down must have that distinctive vanilla edge to it. This is no exception, and I was disappointed to end up smelling as if I had applied Dunhill London or some other cheap confection. Having said that, it does do the confection with a degree of class, and it is kept out of the middle range of fragrances merely by the fact that there is some richness in there, with several layers to this struggling to subdue the vanilla, but with little success. A gallant try by Penhaligon's to appeal to the younger market, but I feel they better served developing their range of conservative fragrances.

Aredore's avatar

Red Door Revealed by Elizabeth Arden

It's too bad that I'm giving this perfume such a bad rating, because I would like to like it!

This was a gift from my aunt when I was sixteen and putting it on again I remember why I never wore this stuff.

The scent of "revealed" is best described in 3 layers. The first is an intense sweetness, the second is a strong floral bouquet and the third, most basic scent is a bit like warm plastic that I think is trying to be a musk of some sort. The end result is a scent that is sweet and powdery with an unpleasant plastic twang that becomes more noticeable as you pull away.

The plasticyness dies down a little as the perfume settles (perhaps it is the result of the plastic spray cap?) but for whatever reason I'm still not impressed with the sweet floral mixture. I don't even think I would want to use it as an air freshener.

I'll be nice and give it a "neutral."

karisuma's avatar

Cubano Gold by Victory International

Another BIG thumbs up for Cubano Gold. I got the 2 oz bottle at TJ Maxx for < $10. My girl LOVES it. If fragrances are meant to seduce, then Cubano Gold is truly an outstanding fragrance :)

Dany1985's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

It sure smells like a women's perfume for the first time..but as it dries down...you'll feel ''THE MAGNETISM''....

abc1234's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Very light indeed. After a while the smell turns into something like salty sea water and very noticeable "fishy" hint. I guess it tried too hard to mimic "aqua ocean". Not my cup of tea.

29th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2008)

JaimeB's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

A heavy contender at the start, this is best after it has a chance to wear down a bit. Definitely not one to overapply, either. Having given those caveats, however, this is a remarkable scent. It speaks confidence and power, and after having been retired for a time, it has earned enough recognition to return, only slightly chastened, as l'Âme d'un Héros. Citrus and herbal to start, the original then goes into a heart of strong herbal, green, and spice notes slightly relieved by ylang-ylang; woods, leather, and resins in the base complete this green-herbal chypre. Not for the faint of heart or for casual wear, this must be kept back for greater needs and occasions. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for the soul of the valiant and questing knight, it's as necessary as a coat of chain mail.

30th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th September, 2009)

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Black by Kenneth Cole

In my opinion, this is the worst KC's fragrance. I own Reaction and New York and although they're both simple scents, they smell nice while they last. With this one, I can't feel the same. It's also quite simple, but I can't see any beauty in this
    vulgar formula. Mint, mint and mint. The same smell of a minty bubble gum.
    Looking at the pyramid I see so many notes...And the combination results in a common sweet and slightly floral smell. All hidden under a powerful synthetic
    minty cloud... A minty bubble gum with a sweet note. And It's called "Black"...
    I just wonder why it was necessary to allocate 2 perfumers to produce such an uninspiring fragrance.

Richandler's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

When I first sprayed this on to a smell strip I had the same reaction as I did with A*Men. Yuck! But being that I always give fragrances a second chance I decided to go back and try it again. Much like A*Men I found liking this fragrance very much.

Personally this reminds me of Issey Miyake or Kenzo in with whatever aquatic-like note is in it. I think when the cool weather starts to warm into spring I'll pick up a bottle of this stuff. I've always wanted something that could be mainstream but wasn't. This is it for me.

oopie2006's avatar

Pacific Paradise by Escada

Mmmmmm....pineapple. Sweet and tropical. Hubby loves it, too ;-)

oopie2006's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

Unable to get past the fact that it smelled like men's cologne on me. Wasn't something I'd bother regifting to my husband, either...sorry.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

I find this very close to Minotaur and Zino in its opening...sweet floral with a horse barn like stench...very promising...but it quickly reveals its lack of quality...there is very little depth, just an overal sweetness and some weak dark notes. Good for a quick event or dinner, certainly not for an all day affair. Not bad for the price as this is dirt cheap.

Silver Cristal Femme by Amouage

Gorgeous! Fantastic! Amazing! Holy Grail?! I understand now that this can exist. So many favorites seem now in the distance. This is a "leave now doubt" seductive chypre. It is breathtakingly feminine. Not the kind of aggressive, more unisex chypre that conveys "arm's length" distance, or detachment. And I'm wrong-- it is aggressive. Aggressively sexy *and* refined. It goes both ways, in all directions, and doesn't look when crossing the street because it stops traffic.

Parfum Sacré by Caron

Poor Quarry! Maybe this is one of those scents that must be sprayed rather than dabbed to get the most out of it.

On me, this is truly beautiful. Uplifting and soothing. Citrus flits around, but not enough to classify this as citrusy. Beautifully blended florals. There's smooth incense, but it's not dominant. All of these facets mingle together to produce an elegant comfort scent. I also might be getting what others be call the "Play-Doh" accord. I'm reminded more of hot candle wax, however. Since I enjoy burning fragrance candles, this isn't unpleasant to me. It seems to add a layer of mystery to a stunning scent that is already so many things at once.

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

I enjoy this soft, floral-fresh fragrance. It gets a little candy-sweet in the midnotes, but dries down into a lovely scent. The freshness is more fresh like cotton than fresh like citrus. I would wear this on warm but not hot days during the spring and summer.

Une Histoire de Chypre by Aedes de Venustas

After trying this several times, my impression remains a disappointed "meh." It's not just that the fragrance is lightweight and sits close, but parts of it feel missing on me. The bergamot and florals I noticed in the beginning quickly become thin, the patchouli is nice and interesting but also weak, and the whole thing is sadly unimpressive.

30th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

scentsitivity's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

I find this to be a warm and comforting scent. Yes, it is dated, but I like it for rare occasions (I could not wear it daily; and one must be careful not to apply too much as it would be too heavy and sweet). I agree with other reviewers who note opoponax as having a special place in this cologne. Notes are as follows: bergamot, verbena, basil, sandalwood, oakmoss, patchouli, sage, opoponax, grey amber, musk.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I can't believe the note pyramid with this fragrance. It should just read - lemon - lemon - lemon/touch of tobacco. If you like lemon fragrances, go for the CDG version or the re-issued Balmain. The tobacco note is poor also and doesn't really work. The best creation for men by this house was 'By' and that's been pulled now. It should have been this.

Knize Ten by Knize

Wore this some years ago now and it nearly blew my head off. Hey, come on, I am not going to 'mist' it and hope some droplets fall on my skin -- it will outlive me. KT is a lovely leather and would be even lovelier without the petroly note. It's too potent though -- I don't want to be scared to spray. Similar in power to Tabac Blond, which I also can't wear, but less harsh. REL by Creed and Cuiron are preferable. Won't thumbs down though.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This was put out on the quick and smells like it, i.e. hardly any thought has gone into it -- the 'NR for her' is quite nice though. What a rotter.